Who was Shaukat Sarkar

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
dawedaar

Who was Shaukat Sarkar

Unread post by dawedaar » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:47 pm

I have heard his name now and then in converstaions among people. AFAIK, He was a thug and was a bohra. He built quite a few premium buildings like Sarkar towers, Sarkar residency occupied by abdes majorly and may be more in Mazgaon, Mumbai. He was gunned down by the underworld. Anybody here who knows more about him and why he was murdered?

asad

Re: Who was Shaukat Sarkar

Unread post by asad » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:24 pm

He had constructed few Masajid. Masjid in Charni road Mumbai was built by him only.

fiate2000

Unread post by fiate2000 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:03 am

net: file:///tmp/755.html

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING SHAUKAT SARKAR
By Safuddin Insaaf

In Dawoodi Bohra religious hierarchy the position of Shaikh comes immediately after Dai, Mazoon and Mukasir. According to Ismaili tradition the high degree of Shaikh is to be conferred on those who are scholars in Islamic as well Ismaili literatures and on those who are pious.

But today Sayedna Saheb confers this title on anyone especially on those who earn and donate to him money from shady sources and who can help him in illegal activities.

Shaikh Shaukat Nazar Husain Sarkar was one such person. He was given the title of Shaikh when he could acquire for the Kothar the land for new Kurla Bohra cemetery illegally through his influence. He also donated three cars to Sayedna, which are alleged stolen.

Last month the title of Shaikh has been conferred by Sayedna Saheb on Shamoon Poonawala who has helped Kothar in usurping a property worth Rs.150 crores. This is the property of Sir Adamji Peerbhoy Sanitorium Trust of which Mr. Poonawala is supposed to be guarding advocate on record.

I knew Sarkar from the time when he started his career as a `Kabadi' (dealer in secondhand materials) at Ghatkopar in Bombay some 35 years ago. One day I met Mehboob, a youngster who had come to meet me at my Godrej office. He said he was happy and was earning Rs.15,000 to 20,000 per month. What was his business? He used drive oil tankers. His job was to take the tanker at a specified place, remove all the oil and then drive the tanker up to some hilly area and topple it down. The owner then used to show this as an accident and collect money for oil and also from issuance as well. Who was the owner of such a business? Shaukat Seth.

Then Sarkar switched over to land-dealings and hotel business. The Mid-Day newspaper in its November 10, 1999 issue says this about Shaukat Seth: "He allegedly graduated to stealing tankers and with help from the Chota Shakeel gang, managed to make the crores that he invested in 15 buildings complexes on the Bandra-Antheri stretch. He also owned Hotel Metro Palace in Bandra."

Shaukat bhai was from Ratlam in M.P. from where Abdul Husain Nazim also came to Bombay. So I used to go to Shaukat Sarkar's place with Nazim for donations some times. Then Shaukat Sarkar became the chairman of the Ghatkopar Educational and Welfare Society. I was its vice-chairman then. We started meeting very often at Society's meetings. He would tell me his philosophy of life. "Make money by hook or crook, earn fame and please everyone."

He often used to boast about his intimate relations with people like Dilip Kumar and Shahzadas of Kothar. "Shazadas are very happy with me. They come to my Hotel Metro Palace, drink, dine and make marry." He said. "You mean our Shazadas drink?" I asked him. "What is wrong with that? Everyone who has surplus money drinks and enjoys. Hum Shaikh hai bhai- Dawat ki khidmat hamara farz hai," he said with a big laugh.

So this was Shaukat Sarkar! He used to keep everyone happy. He knew that I edit The Bohra Chronicle. I have often written critical articles about him. He used to read the Chronicle regularly but never said a word to me about it.

I will miss Sarkar as many others will also miss him though for different reasons. I will miss him because he used to give me a lot of insight into the affairs of the Kothar.

He used to say "money could buy anything". True. Rs.14 lakhs bought him, even for his dead body riddled with 16 bullets, the choicest place in prestigious Naryalwadi Bohra cemetery - Bombay. Although his friends from the 'royal family' did not care to participate in his funeral.

Like Shaukat Sarkar more and more people are lured towards shady business as they know they can then buy titles of Shaikh, NKD etc. and get respect in the community. Religion came to safeguard morality in the society. The religion followed by the Kothar today encourages and spreads immorality.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:09 pm

Shaukat Sarkar was a clean shaved guy even when the 52nd Dai went to his house for Ziyafat and sold him the Sheikh title.... He was gunned down in his car by Chhota Rajan gang in broad daylight in Bandra area as he had affiliation with 'D' company who were Rajan's arch rivals.

asad

Unread post by asad » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:23 am

Shaukat Sarkar was comfortably off with a Rs 5 billion empire that included several hotels, building complexes and a fleet of LPG tankers. And he was the winner of a "national citizen award" to boot. And now he's been nicked for lifting cars.

Sarkar was arrested on September 15 by the crime branch unit-VII on the charges of receiving stolen property. And now the income tax department and the crime branch are busy working out the extent and worth of Sarkar's properties and trying to ascertain how much illegal methods may have enhanced it.

"We've managed to establish that he must be worth at least Rs 2 billion. By the time we finish, that figure could well go up to Rs 5 billion or even beyond," said assistant commissioner of police, D-II, Dashrath Avhad.

Sarkar had risen fast from humble beginnings. Till the late seventies he lived in an 8 feet by 10 feet tenement at Sankli Street in Byculla, in central Bombay. He started a small-scale rubber factory by Narayan Nagar at Ghatkopar in the north-east suburbs of the city.

He had a setback in the late eighties that hit him badly. Sarkar then bought an oil tanker with what he had left and then began the climb up.

The police allege he may have been in oil pilferage and land grabbing rackets since 1975 and that could be why he was so successful. Today, Sarkar's Hindustan Bulk Carriers runs over 140 oil tankers.

Sarkar also bought two hotels, Metro Palace at Hill Road Bandra and Metro International at Saki Naka, both in the western suburbs, and put money into construction. According to officers of the crime branch, he is a partner in at least 20 building complexes in the western suburbs. Sarkar is also a director of the Sarkar Builders and Metro Development Corporation.

Sarkar owns a considerable amount of property and has bought several hundred acres of land in and around Bombay.

"We've kept other cases on hold and are only concentrating on Sarkar," said Vilas Tupe, senior police officer of the crime branch unit VII.

"We've come across affluent students and middle-class housewives taking to crimes for money, not somebody like Shaukat Sarkar with so much wealth," said an officer.

Sarkar got into car theft very recently. In his statement to the police, Sarkar said he did not steal cars for his own use but for that of his three bodyguards -- Kazim, Kailash and Naseem. All three are in custody though the police don't believe Sarkar's claim.

"Sarkar actually hired services of a professional car thief, Ishan Kazi, and his gang and they stole cars for him," said Tupe. Kazi, currently in police custody, is accused of stealing over 100 cars.

Sarkar is apparently well-connected. "We've heard of his contacts, but so far he has not disclosed any big name," said investigating officer, police inspector Prashant Deshpande.

It was a spot of good luck for the cops and bad timing for Sarkar that led to his downfall.

Two weeks before his arrest, the police were tipped off that Sarkar is involved in a car-lifting racket. The informer gave them a registration number and told them two of Sarkar's cars bore that number.

When the police went to his Bandra hotel, they found a white Tata Estate bearing that number, DL-5C-A-6236, parked in the compound. While they were questioning Sarkar's bodyguards, in rolled Sarkar himself in a grey Tata Sierra -- with the same number on its number plate.

The police found six of his cars matched with ones stolen from Cuffe Parade, Tilak Nagar, Azad Maidan, M R A Marg and Vile Parle police station areas. The police learnt that Sarkar used to gift stolen cars to his friends. The seized Estate was allegedly a gift to a Versova-based mistress and others were reportedly given to some top politicians from Bihar. Tupe denies that they have information of this.

Family and friends stick by Sarkar, claiming he's been framed.

"My husband is a philanthropist. He can do no such thing," says Sarkar's wife Mehfuza. And Nawaz Grover, a family friend, implied that he wasn't so money minded since he even contributed to Hindus temples, despite being a Muslim. Sarkar was as generous with his money at Muslim festivals, spending hundreds of thousands and feeling thousands of poor people.

When this reporter visited Netaji Phalkar Road at Narayana Nagar at Ghatkopar, he found that people there idolised the man they called 'Sarkar Seth' and 'Mahatma Sarkar.'

The police are at loss to explain why such a man, with so much to lose, had got into stealing cars or buying them. Deputy commissioner of police, detection, Param Bir Singh suggests it could be arrogance, the feeling that he cannot be touched, that made Sarkar feel he could get away with anything.

http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/oct/29sar.htm

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:37 am

According to sources I am familiar, Shaukat was planning to cross D Gang. He had moved a substantial amount of money to USA where he had family and was planning to move himself. When D Gang got whiff of it they decided to take care of him before he can move.
In the meantime, his brother in law took all his wealth and ran away after divorcing his sister.

dawedaar

Unread post by dawedaar » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:47 am

This is contradictory to one of the posts above where it is mentioned that Sarkar was murdered by the D gang rival Chhota Rajan gang!
SBM wrote:According to sources I am familiar, Shaukat was planning to cross D Gang. He had moved a substantial amount of money to USA where he had family and was planning to move himself. When D Gang got whiff of it they decided to take care of him before he can move.
In the meantime, his brother in law took all his wealth and ran away after divorcing his sister.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:11 am

^
May be it was Chota Rajan but for sure it was a gang hit and local Aamil did visit his family to pay respect despite the fact that washe knew Shauakat was involved in illegal activities, To be fair to local Aamil, he had no choice, he was asked by higher ups to to go and pay respect to the family against his own will.

alivasan

Unread post by alivasan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:07 pm

This rot community is filled with many saukat sarkars earning by hook or crook doing all evils as its difficult to earn money by hardwork.mind you its not for livelihood its for ayyashi.following footsteps of mufatlal.