Article on Indian artist with Bohra origins

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.

S. Insaf

Re: Article on Indian artist with Bohra origins

Unread post by S. Insaf » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:31 am

Tayeb Mehta, Tasneem Mehta, Maqbool Fida Husain, Salim Ali, Justice Tayebji, Dawood Fazalbhoy, they all are Sulemani Bohras. They could achieve that excellence in art, architecture, judiciary, philanthropy etc. because there is no interference from their priestly class.
Unfortunately Dawoodi Bohras with tones of wealth at their disposal have not produced any such person of prominence.

tahir

Unread post by tahir » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:06 am

What about the former justice A M Ahemadi? Is he too a Suleymani Bohra?

profrog

Unread post by profrog » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:27 am

at least we have tons of money at our disposal which by any yardstick is a sign of big achievement and please do not reply by lying that the money is illegal or such other stupid lies.by the way there are many bohras who are achievers in the world today but the the blind will now see and the daf will not hear and dumb will not speak

profrog

Unread post by profrog » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:36 am

in fact today right the bohras are among the the most educated people the litracy rate is avery high compared to 40 yrs ago,most of them own their own bussinesses and homesand and travel a lot too ,but like i said blind ,deaf and dumb thats our progs

profrog

Unread post by profrog » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:42 am

a good look at the suleymani bohras named by insaap will tell what his heroes are., e.g mfhussien currently in great trouble for bharat mata nude,or him painting nude women i suppse thats the progs culture this days

profrog

Unread post by profrog » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:45 am

all others named by him i have never heard of them so they must be very famous like his moula engineer hiding in labanon ?syria? or maybe sweden

galaxee

Unread post by galaxee » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:52 am

Originally posted by S. Insaf:
Tayeb Mehta, Tasneem Mehta, Maqbool Fida Husain, Salim Ali, Justice Tayebji, Dawood Fazalbhoy, they all are Sulemani Bohras. They could achieve that excellence in art, architecture, judiciary, philanthropy etc. because there is no interference from their priestly class.
Unfortunately Dawoodi Bohras with tones of wealth at their disposal have not produced any such person of prominence.
Then mr. insap & his idealogical guru engineer should embrace the sulaimani faith. By doing so, they can get all the D-name & D-fame( for which they are famouis among the bohras) & that too without the interference of the priestly class.

Alislam

Unread post by Alislam » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:05 pm

Tahir,

Justice A.M. Ahmadi (Ex chief Justice)is a dawoodi bohra.

tahir

Unread post by tahir » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:13 pm

They could achieve that excellence in art, architecture, judiciary, philanthropy etc. because there is no interference from their priestly class.

History has it that creativity has flourished in the most oppressive regimes. Some of the great works of art including paintings, books and movies were done under tyrannical communist or imperial environs. For instance, Jawahar Lal Nehru wrote his book ' discovery of india' while in the Britsh controlled prison. Some great movies came from USSR era East Europe. We can extend the talk about talent to the field of sports. Again, some of the best gymnasts, wrestlers and tennis players cropped under lack of physical infrastructure and an intrusive administration of former USSR nations and gymnasts, divers, and table tennis players from Mao's China.

Compared to 'interference' of that kind , the bohra priestly establishment pales into insignficance. Besides, the bohras are affluent and can buy all the facilities needed for art and sports to thrive. Still we do not see any talent in these fields. Why?

Well, here are my 2 cents.

The bohra priesthood has systematically eliminated the internal urge to express and create from within its followers. Everyone is blissfully stuck in the narrow straight line of profession, family, matam and jaman. The bohras get what they value most and the kothar in turn gets what it values most from this symbiotic relationship. The herd doesnt want to believe that these values were craftily shaped by the priestly estalishment and that there is more to life than eating, shitting, chest beating and procreating.

Anwar

Unread post by Anwar » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:01 pm

well said PROFROG, just goes on to show your values in life.
"at least we have tons of money at our disposal which by any yardstick is a sign of big achievement"
At the end of the day it all comes down to money for this frog.
"bussinesses and homesand and travel a lot too" And ofcourse travel, also is a sign of achivement.
"all others named by him i have never heard of them so they must be very famous like his moula engineer hiding in labanon ?syria? or maybe sweden"
And one more thing, dont forget to let this frog know about your achievments, or you are nothing.
"A frog, GATHO BHANELO CHE, PAN GANELO NATHI. :D
:D ;)

Average Bohra

Unread post by Average Bohra » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:54 pm

History has it that creativity has flourished in the most oppressive regimes. Some of the great works of art including paintings, books and movies were done under tyrannical communist or imperial environs. For instance, Jawahar Lal Nehru wrote his book ' discovery of india' while in the Britsh controlled prison. Some great movies came from USSR era East Europe. We can extend the talk about talent to the field of sports. Again, some of the best gymnasts, wrestlers and tennis players cropped under lack of physical infrastructure and an intrusive administration of former USSR nations and gymnasts, divers, and table tennis players from Mao's China.

Perhaps you can cite some similar creative genius and athletic prowess to come out of Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Afghanistan ?

Unless of course oppression has nothing to do with creativity....

Muslim

Unread post by Muslim » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:10 pm

Tayeb Mehta, Tasneem Mehta, Maqbool Fida Husain, Salim Ali, Justice Tayebji, Dawood Fazalbhoy, they all are Sulemani Bohras.
The article states that Tyeb Mehta was a Dawoodi Bohra:

Mehta was born in 1925 in rural Gujarat, in western India, and was reared in Mumbai, also known as Bombay, in an orthodox Shiite community known as the Dawoodi Bohras.

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:12 pm

[QUOTEThe bohra priesthood has systematically eliminated the internal urge to express and create from within its followers. Everyone is blissfully stuck in the narrow straight line of profession, family, matam and jaman] [/QUOTE]

I fully agree with this statment. this is really ironic, that our creativity has diminished to such a level, that we are not able to name one young bohra (when i say bohra, i mean the ones, who are the staunch believers and blind followers) who had been able to achieve significance in any field. yes there are previous examples, when bohras were judges, governers, lawyers, mayors, bankers, and engineers of stature. but since 1980's when this whole exploitery system of blind following, and wajebat and sabeel was introduced, and a steel curtain erected between common folks and knowledge. search for knowledge was prohibited, just becasue knowledge will lead to realization and broadening of horizon for common people, then it will become difficult to exploit in the name of religon. all those pros are lying, when they say bohras are in achievement. i challenge them to come up with a significant name in last two decades. all those prominent bohras like justice/ governer fakhruddin g ibrahim and others, they are just bohras because they were born so.it is also untrue that bohras are econimically doing good, and they are prospering. my first hand experience is that our prosperity is decling in all fields, education and monetary both. bohras are poorer, than they were before, only syedna saheb's family is getting rich, that too without doing anything. all shehzadas and qasre aali sahebo cannot show one legitimate business for their survival, they are travelling boarding lodging etc at common man's expense. a false rhetoric is that bohras are doing well. every common folk will agree with me. i ask them to post the statics of qardan hasna, how many application they get every month. if they are doing well, then why would they get so many application for qardan. also they should also inform how many are defaulting.

tahir

Unread post by tahir » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:05 am

Avg. Bohra,
My point was that as long as there is an 'internal drive' in a society, external circumstances seldom become obstacle in the expression of creativity. Talent makes it's way sooner or later. The absence of oppression, however does not ensure creative genius , else we would have seen some literary masterpieces coming out of New Zealand, Luxemborg, Monaco, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

observer

Unread post by observer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:07 am

"in fact today right the bohras are among the the most educated people the litracy rate is avery high compared to 40 yrs ago,most of them own their own bussinesses and homesand and travel a lot too ,but like i said blind ,deaf and dumb thats our progs"

I have one question for profrog: I guess you missed out on this literacy thing. Who taught you English. Your spelling is atrocious.About travel I guess you did not get to travel this Muhurram becasue teh Bohora Olympics were cancelled.

profrog

Unread post by profrog » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:25 am

the truth hurts and you people want to believe everything but the truth

profrog

Unread post by profrog » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:29 am

like anwar said insaap please state your achievements before hiding behind your moula engineer

mature

Unread post by mature » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:21 am

LUCKNOW: Unusual causes have unusual effects. As a fallout of UP minister Yaqoob Qureshi's fatwa that he would pay Rs 51 crore for killing Danish cartoonist for caricaturing the Prophet, an unheard of body called the Hindu Law Board on Wednesday came up with a counter bounty.

It has offered Qureshi Rs 101 crore for slaying M F Husain, embroiled in a controversy over depictions of Saraswati and Bharat Mata and owners of an European distillery for using Durga illustrations to promote their wine.

Although no one knew about the existence of the Board until Wednesday, its president Ashok Pandey, an Allahabad High Court lawyer, claimed the body was 3,500-member strong and the decision was taken at a board meeting.

mbohra

Unread post by mbohra » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:33 pm

Times of India reports:

Ashok Pandey, President of The Hindu Personal Law Board has issued the following fatwa, "Anyone who kills Hussain (the Bohra Artist)for making obscene paintings of goddess Saraswati and Bharat Mata, the Danish cartoonist, those in the German company printing pictures of Ram and Krishna on tissue paper and the French filmmaker desecrating Lord Shiva will be given Rs 51 crore in cash by the Board."

One of the UP Ministers has upped the ante by promising that in the "interest of the nation if a patriot will chop off (Hussain's) hands. I will give that person Rs 11 lakh".

Quote from Gandhi: "An eye for eye will make the world blind."

Don't we ever learn from history or our past mistakes?

mature

Unread post by mature » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:36 am

hey what happenned to insaap please reply according to you and other progs we bohras have not achieved anything in this world apart from having tons of money,so please state what you progs have achieved and please do not reply by stating the rubbish written by your moula engineer,what about other progs,if no reply we will assume that you are the worst illitrates with no achievements

profrog

Unread post by profrog » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:42 am

becoming useless non entities would their biggest achievment,wher are all the so called rich progs gone now people who like sons of A pirbhai who used to walk with royalty are now smaLl time traders even afraid to use their own name having hindu names ,to insaap this must be big achievement

profrog

Unread post by profrog » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:45 am

try and reply with facts and figures but if you have no answer get admin to bar me by saying i have abused your moula (IN satr) engineer

tahir

Unread post by tahir » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:13 pm

Here are the full names of the movie director duo Abbas-Mastan.

Abbas Alibhai Burmawalla

Mastan Alibhai Burmawalla

Sounds pretty much Bohra. Mastan is sometimes also credited as 'Mustan'. If that 'Mu' rhymes with 'bu' in bull then Mustan is an exclusively bohras name. Isn't it? Anyone knows them?

PS: They frequently cast Johnny Lever in their movies. His real name is Badruddin.

tahir

Unread post by tahir » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:20 am

Johnny Walker aka badruddin Qazi is a Khoja. Still not sure about Abbas- Mastan

Btw, there is a small time TV actor 'Ali Asgar' who frequently appears in popular TV soaps. I am sure he is a bohra.