Understanding Dawoodi Bohra Faith

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
S. Insaf

Understanding Dawoodi Bohra Faith

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:02 pm

Understanding Dawoodi Bohra Faith - Part – I

I have no hesitation in admitting that I am not an Islamic scholar. But since I have to defend my Faith against un-Islamic practices and innovations introduced by last two Dais, I have tried to understand our Shia-Ismaili-Mustalian-Tayyebi faith through authentic source books and discussion with learned mashaikh. At the age of 68, I want to share my understanding with other knowledgeable readers of this site.

I have come to the conclusion that we, Dawoodi Bohras are Muslims first and then Shia-Ismaili-Mustalian-Tayyebi. Islam is our fundamental Faith. All our Shia-Imaili-Mustalian-Tayyebi doctrines are based on Islamic teachings and Quranic injunctions and whatever is against Islam and Quran can not be the part of our Faith.

Fortunately all Muslims undoubtedly believe in Qur’an, which is our law-giver and the Prophet of Islam, who is our true guide. Islam as it began, was much more than a formal religion, it was a revolutionary movement which strived hard for radical social changes and threw serious challenge to the vested interests, restructuring the society.

I was wondering how the followers of the same Islam got divided into so many sects and sub-sects? It was the starting point for proper understanding my Faith.

I want to briefly describe only those aspects of the Islamic history which I found interesting and which has bearing on our present Dawat system.

Islam started from Arabia. It soon spread into non-Arab world to north and north-west Africa, Persia (Iran), Central Asia etc. The people who embraced Islam in these new regions were of diverse ethnic and cultural traditions. That gave rise to new doctrines according to then prevailing social, political and economic conditions in those regions. Their social, political and economic aspirations were obviously expressed through religious channels.

The first major split took place in Arabia itself on succession of the Prophet Mohammad dividing Islam in Sunni and Shia Islam. This split also had links with people’s religio-political aspirations.

Shias were mostly of non-Arab stock, slaves captured by Arabs during the wars. The half of the population of Kufa consisted of non-Arab slaves, who considered the Arabs inferior culturally and intellectually and resented them as their exploiting masters. It further aggravated when Umayyad rulers adopted highly repressive policies giving rise to vested interests, power politics and a class system in Islamic society. The new converts mostly non-Arab Persian did not obtained the equal rights which they expected according to Islam. Their aristocratic patrons treated them with contempt and compelled them to submit to every kind of social degradation. This exploited non-Arab lot was looking for a leader who can liberate them from the clutches of their exploitative rulers.

1) Hazrat Ali was known for his simplicity, piety, justice and scrupulous conduct. 2) He and his family members were also seen as the victims of Umayyad’s repressive regime. 3) He never discriminated between Arabs and non-Arabs in keeping with the true spirit of Islam. He paid non-Arabs their share from Baitul-mal which was denied to them. So Hazrat Ali’s personality found ready appeal among the exploited lot of Persian origin.

Again the Arabs and the Persians had different inborn traditions.
Arabs loved liberty and the principle of election.
Persians being the subjects of the age-old monarchy were accustomed to slavish submission to their rulers.

Therefore for the Persians the electing the Prophet’s successor was not acceptable. The only principle acceptable to them was of inheritance. (The same slavish submission to the authority exists in the Dawoodi Bohras today who take pride in calling themselves ‘Abde-Sayedna’, Sayedna’s slaves).

Since the Prophet Mohammad had not left any son, for them his son-in-law Hazrat Ali should have succeeded him. For them all the caliphs except Ali i.e. Abu Bakar, Umar, Usman and also Umayyads were usurpers. The incident of Gadire-Khum became very important for them and was quoted again and again.
As for Hazrat Ali is concerned he on one hand participated in the day to day affairs of the caliphate with Hazat Abu Bakar, Hazrat Umar and Hazrat Usman without any reservation. On the other hand he dealt very strongly with the Arabs and the Arab army officers who tried to persecute and dishounor the war-prisoners. This further created sympathy for Hazrat Ali and his family members among the persecuted lot.

The Persians accustomed to the slavish submission later emerged as Shias (the supporters of Ali) and they developed the doctrines of one Imam succeeding to another Imam by inheritance.

(However this rule was not applicable to the post of Dais. Any ordinary Bohra who was the most learned and was known for his simplicity, piety and just conduct was chosen and raised to the office of Dai, not by inheritance or by election but by Nass inspired by Imam and publicly declared. Hindu Raja Sidhraj Jaisingh who converted was raised to the post of Dai and had 9 Dais from his dynasty.
Now since last two Dais time because of huge concentration of wealth at the center this system of appointing outsiders to the post of Mazoon, Mukasir and Dai is abandoned and these posts have been confined to just one family without much regard for their literary and ecclesiastical qualifications.)

Thai

Re: Understanding Dawoodi Bohra Faith

Unread post by Thai » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:57 am

Very interesting insights.

I am not sure about a couple of points---You mentioned that the arabs are "freedom-loving" But the Abbassid dynasty (from the family of the prophets uncle) would indicate that is not so across the board. Also--"slavish submission" by the Persians--- while this is an interesting point, some historians feel that the Persians come from a far older and more complex civilization and needed theological answers for sophisticated questions. Also, while the Arabs had built an empire fairly recently during the time of Uthman and Ali, the Persians had this experience for centuries--- So, one could argue that their love for hierarchy, organization, and leadership sprang from a neccessity of efficiently ruling over diverse populations?

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:10 pm

Understanding Dawoodi Bohra Faith - Part – 2
The rebellion movements against Umayyad, after the tragedy of Karbala, were spontaneous outburst and failed miserably. The failure after failure had its own consequences. The Shias split in various sect and sub-sects, moderate as well as extremists. Ishna Asharis were (and are even today) the largest Shia group but as they could not evolve a close-knit underground organization their challenge was not effective.

On the other hand the Ismaili Shias could organize their movement in proper manner through a secret network. Therefore they could challenge the Abbasids most effectively and establish Fatimid rule ultimately. The propagandists (Dais) were appointed by the Imams to carry out the work of this secret network. These propagandists (Dais) used to work secretly and most skillfully for the Imam. (As Ismaili Shias were the precursors of the Bohras, the concept of Dawat and Dai remained in this sect even after the down fall of Fatimid sultanate and the Imam went in seclusion.)

Ismaili movement also succeeded because it had its own well defined religious ideology and it worked with religious-cum-political rather than only political aim. Based on Islamic ideology and Islamic spirit the Ismaili doctrines were constituted on the philosophy and higher learning (marifa). It is to the credit of Fatemi Imam that they never compromised on their doctrines under most difficult times. The Ismaili propagandists (Dais) very carefully spread their network in areas where unrest was found but never participated in the revolts.

Imam Jaferus-Sadiq’s father, Imam Baaqir was the grand son of Imam Husain and his mother Umme Farah was the grand daughter of Hazrat Abu Bakar. Imam Jafer was the most outstanding scholar of Islam as well as modern philosophy and sciences. More than 400 books on Mathematics and Chemistry were written under his guidance. He also had great political wisdom as he had seen the reigns of nine Umayyed rulers and two Abbasid rulers and he was fully aware their designs.

Imam Jaferus-Sadiq initiated the practice of “taqiyya” (secrecy). Since then “taqiyya” has become a part of all Shia sect. Whereas the Arabs were traditionally and temperamentally not suited for secretive underground functioning, Imam Jafer could organize a successful well-knit and secret organization. This was necessary in then prevailing hostile political situation.

Though Ismaili movement was initiated by Imam Jaferus Sadiq it emerged and derived its name from Imam Ismail, his eldest son in 128 Hijri in Iraq, Kufa and Persia.

Imam Mohammadul Makhtum had to adopt certain strategy due to the controversy over his father, Imam Ismail’s death. Imam Mohammadul Makhtum founded the concept of ‘period of concealment’ , (dawras-satr) and ‘period of freedom’ (dawre-kashaf) and introduced the new doctrines of ‘Tawil’ .
Dawras-satr means: The time when one has to propagate and practice the Ismaili doctrines secretly and continue observing the shariah laws and practices openly.
Dawre-kashaf means: The period when the shariah gets abrogated and there is no danger in propagating and practicing the Ismaili doctrines in open. Dawoodi Bohras keep on insisting on Dawras-satr whereas Agakhanis and Mehdi Baugh Bohra believe in Dawre-kashaf and believe that the shariah has been abrogated and hence it is no longer necessary to follow shariah rituals.
‘Tawil’ means the esoteric hidden meaning of verses of Qur’an.
(As Ismaili movement was a progressive intellectual movement which believed in the creative assimilation of the Islamic teachings and non-Islamic teaching thus widening the scope of the Arabian Islam and enriching it with non-Arabic thought, one must understand this Ismaili doctrine in depth before passing judgment otherwise on the intentions of Ismaili Imams.)

(In India initially under Hindu rule Bohra Dais were carrying on their activities unhindered. After Muslim power in Gujarat Ismaili Shias were suppressed and persecuted and were once again compelled to adopt the practice of “taqiyya”, secrecy for self protection. Thus the mission of the Dai changed from that of propaganda to protection . The Dawoodi Bohra Dai was no longer a missionary or propagandist. With that the post of Mazoon and Mukasir also became insignificant. But on the advent of British raj in India Ismaili Bohras could freely practice and preach their religion and the strict conditions of a secret organization were no longer applied.)
In part-3 I will put forth my understanding regarding the necessity of retaining the posts of Dai, Mazoon and Mukasir when the mission is ended and application of Misaq when Bohras are free to practice their religion in free democratic and liberal atmosphere).

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:04 pm

Br. Insaf,

Can you please explain why and how the split occurred between bohras and Ismailies?

Thanks,
Aarif

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:49 pm

The Persians accustomed to the slavish submission later emerged as Shias (the supporters of Ali) and they developed the doctrines of one Imam succeeding to another Imam by inheritance.
So they invented " doctrines of one Imam succeeding to another Imam by inheritance"?

Gulf

Unread post by Gulf » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:15 pm

By S.Insaf

Hindu Raja Sidhraj Jaisingh who converted was raised to the post of Dai and had 9 Dais from his dynasty.
S.Insaf bhai,
Please name those 1 + 9 Dai along with serial numbers who came from King Sidhraj dynasty.

Thank you

porus

Unread post by porus » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:33 pm

Originally posted by Muslim First:
So they invented " doctrines of one Imam succeeding to another Imam by inheritance"?
Insaaf,

Your opinion, unfortuanely, confirms the ignorant in his ignorance and gives him ammunition for his fitnah against the Shia. The 'doctrine' of Imamat has its root in the Quran ayat 2:124.

The 'doctrine' was well established in Madina well before Karbala and, to that end, we have ahaadith from Ahlul Bayt, some of which are included in Daaimul Islam.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Q2.124
Remember that when Ibrahim (Abraham) was tested by his Rabb with certain commands, he fulfilled them. Allah said: "Surely, I will make you the leader of mankind." "What about my offspring?" Asked Ibrahim. "My pledge," said Allah, "will not apply to the evil doers."
Yes this was in case of Ebrahim but to connect it to 'doctrine' we need to invent 'Tawil' and that results into Ustaad-us-Tawil par excellence Janab Porus.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:05 pm

Your opinion, unfortuanely, confirms the ignorant in his ignorance
On the contrary this is most sensible explanation.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:20 pm

Brother Gulf,
Followings are the names of Mulla Raj’s (converted - Hindu) ancestors:-

1. Raja Sidhraj Jaisingh Bharmal (the first convert of Royal Rajput family of Gujarat)
2. Ajai pal Jaisingh (known as Moulai Yaqoob) - Amil
3. Moulai Is-haq - Amil
4. Ali bin Is-haq - Amil
5. Dawood bin Ali - Amil
6. Mulla Raj – Amil
7. Dawood bin Mulla Raj - Amil
8. Adam bin Dawood - Amil
9. Mulla Raj bin Dawood - Amil

Dais from (Hindu – convert) Mulla Raj’s family:-

1. 34th Dai Sayedna Ismail Badruddin (son of Mulla Raj bin Dawood)
2. 35th Dai Sayedna Abdul Tayyeb Zakiuddin I
3. 36th Dai Sayedna Musa Kalimuddin
4. 37th Dai Sayedna Noor Mohammad Mooruddin
5. 38th Dai Sayedna Ismail Badruddin IV
6. 41st Dai Sayedna Abdul Tayyeb Zakiuddin II
7. 42nd Dai Sayedna Yusuf Najmuddin III
8. 43rd Dai Sayedna Abdeali Saifuddin I
9. 46th Dai Sayedna Mohammad Badruddin V

The converted Royal Rajput family of Gujarat ended here, and sincerity towards Dawat also ended here. And as historians describe the Dawat went in the hands of the shrewd manipulators.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:52 pm

Insaf Bhai
I am confused, current Syedna connects his ancestary to Yemeni Dai but according to this, the link was broken and number of Dais were from Hindu Raja. Where does Syedna Hatim under whose name they all do Darees fits in this chronology?

Thai

Unread post by Thai » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:42 am

Insaf
Thankyou for sharing your knowlege.

I do not want to upset anyone ---and I will readily admit that my information may be incorrect,
but when I looked into the history from internet sources---I came up with a slightly different version.
Imam Jaffer died in 765 CE, his son Imam Ismail predeceased him. (apparently Imam Ismail had
a twin --Abdullah). The Ismaili movement reappears in history around the 9th century, headed by
the Qaramati. (877/8 by Hamdan of Qaramat and his followers) The future fatimid caliph Imam
Ubaydallah joined forces with the Qaramati. In 899, Imam Ubaydallah split from the Qaramati. This
was a time when the many, particularly the Qaramati followers were expecting an Imam mahdi
to appear. Imam Ubaydallah took the title of mahdi for himself and declared his successor as
Imam Qaim. During the time of Imam al-muizz (952-975CE)the fatimid caliph, a vassal state was
established in sindh. (around 959 CE or so).

Thai

Unread post by Thai » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:12 am

Ismaili splits

The first occured between the Qaramati and Imam Ubaydallah-al-mahdi.

Imam al-hakim(996-1021CE)--the Druze split

Around 1094CE, the split between Imam Nizar and Imam
al-mustali.

Around 1130 the split between Imam Tayyib and al hafiz

Around 1591--a split in Bohra community relating to Dai succession.

Thai

Unread post by Thai » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:23 am

Pre-Ismaili splits --- In case anyone is interested

Imam Hassan's decendents became the royal families of Morrocco and Jordan.

Imam Hussain's decendants split into Ismaili's, Ithna Ashari (twelvers?) and Zaidi sects.

Information is from internet and may be incorrect.

Africawala0000

Unread post by Africawala0000 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:26 am

Q2.124
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember that when Ibrahim (Abraham) was tested by his Rabb with certain commands, he fulfilled them. Allah said: "Surely, I will make you the leader of mankind." "What about my offspring?" Asked Ibrahim. "My pledge," said Allah, "will not apply to the evil doers."

2:124 And remember that Abraham was tried by his Lord with certain Commands which he fulfilled: He said: I will make thee an Imam to the Nation s He pleaded: And also (Imams) from my offspring! He answered "But my Promise is not within the reach of evil-doers"

This is by Yusuf Ali, MF can you name your translator.

According to 2:124 Allah promised Abraham Imams from his offspring too. Where are those Imams?

Don't derail the subject.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:32 pm

can you name your translator.
Malik from software 'The Alim'

turbocanuck

Unread post by turbocanuck » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:44 pm

Originally posted by Muslim First:
can you name your translator.
They also supply the "Al-Shuraa" the Electronic contraption with an LCD screen, just as was during the Paak Rasool's time....

What is Al-Shura: It is the Islamic way of true democracy. Where every opinion in the community counts and has to be heared. Allah commands the Muslims to have Al-Shura amongest themselves.

What is Al-Shura Machine: It is a self-contained solid state unit with its own memory, keyboard, microphone, LCD display and attachment cables to a PC and telephone line.

What does Al-Shura do?: It can call members of the Islamic community up to 1000 per day. After being answered it delivers a prerecorded message to community members.

How does Al-Shura work?: Record your message - Download names and telephone list from PC to Al-Shura. Set days and times for Al-Shura to call. It calls delivers the message and can recieve a digital or voice response from called parties. A detailed report of the calls results is updated to the PC.

Allah wants you to have it. send 900.00 USD plus shipping and handling......remember, once again, Allah really wants you to buy it....

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:10 pm

Baqwas

'The Alim' I baught it and paid for it.

It is great resource. What is your problem

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:12 pm

Baqwas

Baboon0000 said
Leave it alone

Africawala0000

Unread post by Africawala0000 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:47 pm

MFr,
That explains.

You normally quote Yusuf Ali. How come Malik this time? Did it better suit you? What about my offspring?" Asked Ibrahim. "

Whereas Yusuf Ali's translation states: And also Imams from my offspring!

Malik is known for drawing in from Y.Ali, Maududi, Pickthal, etc. and the best he could come up with was above? Or did he just follow Maududi's translation because Maududi was another one who was uncomfortable with Imamat.

One Jahaliya leads another one. This is your brand of Islam.
You can't face the concept of Imamah, can you? But the Prophet said, those who do not know the Imam of their time will die the death of Jahaliya!

I think you are a true Jahaliya because in spite of Sura 104 you continue, in this Holy month of Ramadhan to commit fitnas.

By the way, I just visited the U tube you have produced against Ismailis. you sound like a broken record. I had a good laugh, you are truly a pathetic soul. You even tried to create fitnas between the Ithnas and Ismailis. Ithnas hate you as much as the Ismailis do.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:16 am

This thread is about Understanding Bohras and Br. Insaf was doing a nice job till once again people with their own agendas diverted the topic and moved away from original topic.
ADMINISTRATION SHOULD MONITOR THE THREAD AND ANY TIME THIS GETS DIVERTED IN PERSONAL ATTACK ON BELIEFS, THEY SHOULD STEP IN AND BLOCK IT OR DIVERT TO OTHER THREAD

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:55 am

Omabharti,

Good idea. We'll try to dispose of all off-topic posts to another forum.

thanks.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:03 pm

BaboonOOOO

My apology. I had 5 translations in line with Malik’s on the top. If you are comfortable we will do Yusuf Ali.

In the meanwhile take this pill from Dr.OB and chill
This thread is about Understanding Bohras and Br. Insaf was doing a nice job till once again people with their own agendas diverted the topic and moved away from original topic.

Smart

Unread post by Smart » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:10 pm

Agree with Omabharati,

This forum is about Bohras and Reform. I request the Khojas and the Sunnis to please go to the Islam Today forum.

They can continue calling each other names there.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:28 pm

Dear Oma, You have asked:

Q: 1) I am confused, current Sayedna connects his ancestry to Yemeni Dai but according to this, the link was broken and number of Dais were from Hindu Raja.

Q: 2) Where does Sayedna Hatim under whose name they all do Darees fits in this chronology?

A: Sayedna Hatim was our 3rd Yemini Dai.
From first Dai Sayedna Zoeb to 24th Dai Sayedna Yousuf Najmuddin s/o Sayedi Suleman, all Dais were Yamini Dais.

25th Dai Jalal Shamsuddin was first Dai of Indian origin. When 24th Yamani Dai, Sayedna Yousuf were breathing his last Jalal Shamsuddin was in Sidhpur so farman of Nass on him was sent to Sidhpur. But by then he had left for Ahmedabad. So the Nass was confirmed on Jalal Shamsuddin in Ahmedabad. So the first Indian Dai was 25th Dai Sayedna Jalal Shamsuddin, who was the son of Mulla Hasan an ordinary priest.

Rajput dynasty started from 34th Dai and ended with sudden and unfortunate death of Sayedna Mohammad Badruddin Saheb, 46th Dai.

Thereafter the seat of Dawat was overtaken by the family of 45th Dai Sayedna Tayyeb Zainuddin. His son Abdulquadir was 47th Dai, his son Abdulhusain Hushamuddin was 48th Dai, his grand son and son of Abdulquadir was Mohammad Burhanuddin 49th Dai, his other grand son and son of Hushamuddin, Abdullah Badruddin was 50th Dai, his great grand son and son of Mohammad Burhanuddin, Taher Saifuddin was 51st Dai. The present Dai Mohammad Burhanuddin is the son of Taher Saifuddin.

Who was Sayedna Tayyeb Zainuddin? He was the son of one Shaikh Jeewanji who was a clothe merchant in Aurangabad. Shaikh Jeevenji’s father Ratanji Rathod was converted during 42nd Dai Sayedna Yousuf Najmuddin.

Shaikh Jeevenji had two sons Mohammad Izzuddin and Tayyeb Zainuddin. Both were raised to the high office as 44th and 45th Dais.
So there is no link between Sayedna Hatim and Dai’s of Indian origin.

As far as Sayedna Tahir Saifuddin is concerned he had even claimed to have direct link with Ahle-bait-e-Rasool at Clifton, Karachi on 20th June 1955 which was refuted even by Bohra ulema. (As per news in Munsif weekly, Karachi edited by Mulla Abbas Aurangabadi).

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:29 pm

According to 2:124 Allah promised Abraham Imams from his offspring too. Where are those Imams?
I do not have time to look for him but I know where pretender is. Open up another thread in the meanwhile take your own advice:

Chill

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:51 pm

Understanding Dawoodi Bohra Faith - Part – 3

The nature of doctrines evolved very much depends on the ultimate aim. Ishna Ashari Shias had no immediate agenda for political power because they believed that the twelfth Imam would emerge one day from the cave where he is hiding. And therefore they could not evolve the complex religio-political doctrines like Ismaili Shias. Therefore for Ismailis it was essential to organized a close-knit resistance movement. Thus we do not find very rigid conditions for absolute submission to the supreme authority of the Imam in any other Shia sect except in Ismaili sect.

The Ismaili movement was a religious mission with a definite political end. As Imam remained in hiding for the protection from prying eyes of the Abbasid rulers, the Dais played a very important role in the organizing activities in the regions under them. They appointed two more functionaries – Mazoon and Mukasir.
Mukasir was required to be thoroughly conversant in the knowledge of the religion and beliefs and the weaknesses of opponents whom he wanted to convert. He was required to argue with them cautiously in order to create doubts in their mind about their religion and beliefs. He would start debating on some principle of shariah or contradictions in the apparent meaning of Quranic verses and wait for their further interest in the matter.
Mazoon would pursue the matter with them to overcome their doubts and then reveal the inner meaning or explain the contradictions and impart them further knowledge of the Ismaili doctrines. After through screening they would be allowed to have an audience with Dai who then take the oath of allegiance (Misaq) from them.

Misaq had two parts. The first part had religious and the second part had political significance. Two historians Maqrizi and Bagdadi have given the text of this covenant in their books.
The first part giving a firm religious basis drawn from Quran begins with:-
“The praise be to God who created all the creatures for his worship ……..and connected belief in His unity with obedience with the one whom He appointed His vice-regent on the earth………………This Misaq is a mark of respect and honour to Him. ….One who breaks it, God will punish him/her and one who fulfils what he/she promises, God will reward him/her. He took the covenant from Adam and it continued……...”
It had been made very clear that the practice of taking oath began with the prophet Adam and after prophet his wasi and after him his Imams, whose obedience has been enjoined on human beings by God. It has been taken willingly and with one’s own free will. It is not forced on anyone.

Once a faithful took this covenant and affirmed his support to the movement the Voluntarism was replaced by Compulsion as then the second part assumed the political character. The faithful now required to maintain all religious as well as political secrets of the mission. Thus the second part began with:-
“And you will obey the Imam and anyone whom he orders you to obey, you will never defy him, never cheat him, never deceive him. ……..You will love whom he loves, and treat as enemy whom he declares as his enemy, fight him whom he fights with ……Say Yes."
“You will not establish contact with his enemy either through a letter, message, hint, signal, sign and inclination or trick whatever the reason or cause; Say yes."
"If anyone breaks the oath; whatever he owns from the property, assets, real estate, wealth, jewels, agriculture………………will be seized and distributed among poor and needy Muslims……………All his wives will be treated as divorced……….Say yes.”

Thus we see in the first and second part the absolute loyalty of supreme authority of Imam was must for two reasons. One, because Imam was believed to be infallible and second was ensure the success of this underground movement for political end.

But the form of the Misaq we have today is a version which has undergone many changes. This Misaq in two parts was a necessary for the movement which was underground then. Also highly centralized structure was also a political necessity.

The Fatemi Imams achieved their goal by the above strategy and established their political power.

Thai

Unread post by Thai » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:33 am

I was under the impression that many of the ideas regarding infallibility, absolute power, etc..etc were formed during Imam al-Hakim"s time resulting in the druze movement which elevated the status of Imam al-hakim to that of the divine.(?)

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:09 pm

Dear Brother Thai,
Imam Hakim Billah was the 16th Imam of the already established political state of Faimids when there was no need of such doctrine. This write up is not meant to discuss all aspects of Ismaili doctrines. I have given only the outline. But to your question the Ismaili doctrines gives a concept of a Natiq (a pronouncer of law) who gives a new shariah for his period. The period (dawr) of one Natiq is the period of six Imams and the seventh Imam becomes another or next Natiq who will set aside the earlier shariah and will introduce a new shariah applicable to his period.
Now when I read the 14th Imam Muizz son of Imam Ismail’s prayer and statement he says that the Imam Mohammadul-Makhtum was the seventh Natiq and seventh prophet whose prophethood was testified by the holy Prophet Mohammad himself. Natiq seventh Imam Mohammadul-Makhtum cancelled the shariah of Prophet Mohammad.
The basis for this doctrine is derived from the Quran which says from Adam to Mohammad there were six great prophets. They all had their own shariah terminating the shariah of earlier prophet. The Quran also says “Religion of Ibrahim and shariah of Mohammad.” In Ismaili concept this process is continued even after the last Prophet Mohammad and the theory of seventh Imam being Natiq was to fill up the gap in between. One more interesting concept also came up that ‘the Imam is the supreme leader without whose existence the world of the faithfuls cannot exist.’
There is a great mystery here regarding the meaning of shariah and the explanations are given by various Dais like Sayedna Idris comes up with Zahir and Batin meanings of shariah. They claim that the seven Natiq Imam Mohammadul-Makhtum actually did not cancel the shariah of the Prophet Mohammad and did not replace it by his shariah. He did it only in name. The Ismailis always observed the shariah of the Prophet Mohammad meticulously.
The point that I have understood from this theory is that since the Natiq Imam was considered the prophet’s equivalent and prophet is infallible, the concept of Imam being infallible emerged.

CommonMan

Unread post by CommonMan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:25 pm

this is what i call information. the forum is finally aptly used. it does provide insight (rightly or wrongly) and initiates a debate. Not just mudslingig as to what is Syedna doing not being in the news or doing ziyafat in the afternoons. Keep it comming Mr Insaf