Egyptian Calander Inacurate!!!

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.

Egyptian Calander Inacurate!!!

Unread post by Guest » Wed Dec 27, 2000 12:41 am

Its 355 days a year, in a bout 28, 800 years or so the difference of 622 years between Mohammed n Jesus will vanish. How could a 355 days calander year be accurate??? n stop mocking the Sunnis... take a good look at urself.

Re: Egyptian Calander Inacurate!!!

Unread post by Guest » Wed Dec 27, 2000 1:51 am

Huh???????????????<br>Go back to sleep!

Unread post by Guest » Wed Dec 27, 2000 3:03 am

ah what an intelligent response!!! reflects intellectual capacity of Muslim and muslim... ha ha... hee hee.

Unread post by Guest » Wed Dec 27, 2000 2:03 pm

Unread post by Guest » Thu Dec 28, 2000 3:49 am

Sorry, I thought that was meant to be a riddle... obviously not.<p>Anyway...<p>The present-day Christian calendar is based on a solar year i.e. the time it takes for the Earth to go round the Sun.<p>The Islamic or Hijri calendar is based on a lunar year or 12 lunar months i.e. the time it takes for the Moon to go round the Earth 12 times.<p>Since it takes longer for the Earth to go round the Sun than it takes for the Moon to go round the Earth 12 times, it necessarily follows that the solar year is longer than the lunar year. They represent different measurements of time.<p>(There are more interesting observations and historical issues with both calendars, maybe some other readers would like to dig them out?)<p>In principle I hope that clarifies the question you raised.<p>

Unread post by Guest » Thu Dec 28, 2000 5:30 am

precisely, that's why all Lunar Calanders are inacurate, and most solar calanders are ok. Earh takes 24 hours to rotate on its axis, and Moon takes 23 min 56 secs to orbit the Earth. isn't it so?

Unread post by Guest » Thu Dec 28, 2000 7:07 am

No, the Moon takes *roughly* 29.5 days to orbit the Earth. In the Hijri calendar we account for this approximation by adding leap days on certain years in a cycle. I can't recall the exact method, but I'm sure you could find it somewhere on the web, and its pretty accurate as a lunar calendar.<br>

Unread post by Guest » Fri Dec 29, 2000 7:42 pm

The Islamic or Hijra calendar is made up of 12 lunar months. The Hijra year is therefore 354 11/30 days long, which means that it migrates through the solar year, starting about 11 days earlier each (Gregorian solar) year. The Islamic year is considered to have started at sunset of Thursday, July 15, 622 in the Julian calendar and has twelve months of alternately 29 and 30 days, the last month having 30 days only in leap years:-<br>The leap year occurs in the 2nd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, 18th, 21st, 24th, 26th and 29th years of a 30 year cycle.<br> <br>Hyder.