Eid on three diff days ??

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
Alislam

Eid on three diff days ??

Unread post by Alislam » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:32 pm

Eid is celebrated in India on three different days.

Oct 23rd : Bohras and in some parts of India (kerala).

Oct 24th : Delhi, Bihar, Karnataka

Oct 25th : The rest of India

There is something missing somewhere among the muslims ??

Humsafar

Re: Eid on three diff days ??

Unread post by Humsafar » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:57 pm

This shows that Muslims are a diverse group. And diversity is a good thing. Such diversity even within India should be celebrated not condemned. Indian politicians and ignorant Bushites would do well to know that Muslims are not one big homongenous mass that thinks and acts like a herd. And Wahhabis would do well to not to turn them into one.

spot

Unread post by spot » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:18 pm

humsafar,
that is a stupid comment. the ummah is to be united in faith...not a diverse group. the eid issue is a problem...not an assest to the faith, especially in the same city.

feelgud

Unread post by feelgud » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:30 am

whats wrong in celeberating eid for more than one day.
Inidia is a big country and its states are bigger than most of the countries.
its very natural.

why do we insist?does Islam not allow us to celebrate eid on different days in differnt geographical locations.
The rule is simple "see the moon and celeberate eid or count 30 days of fast."

the vital point in this is Islam wants to involve masses even in major decisions.No clergy ,no pope ,no church.
we deliberately handed over each and every issue to ulemas.

if we remain so,then plz wait for the next 20 years to realise them(ulemas)that we can find out the exact location of moon easily through all those means which Allah has not forbidden.

e.g.the use of loudspeakers,they opposed its use in mosque in the beginning.
plz agree with me these mosques have become the real user of this device now a days.
this realisation took 20 yrs,same is for tv.

so hope for the best.
inshaAllah

Alislam

Unread post by Alislam » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:50 am

"The rule is simple "see the moon and celeberate eid or count 30 days of fast."

--- How come people from the same city seeing diff. moons ??
The science is so advanced today that we know the exact position of the moon by calculations and there is no need to see the moon physically.

In determining the prayer times when Sun is not out, we see the time and pray accordingly, so why not do the same with following the moon ??

The main problem i see is with the Mullahs who are responsible for this mess, just to control the masses.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:56 am

There is something missing somewhere among the muslims ??
"The rule is simple "see the moon and celeberate eid or count 30 days of fast."
Yes br. Ali Salaam is correct.

Bohras depend on calculation. Why did they celebrate Eid on 23rd. There was no possibility of sighting moon on 22nd. (yes 30 days for them were over).

India should have one united Moon Sighting Board. Possibility os sighting moon can be precisly calculated and any claims of sighting before this should be dismissed.

Fikh Counsil in USA is going in correct direction.

Wasalaam

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:28 am

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:59 pm

Islamic Lunar Calender

Read this for

* Fiqh Council Islamic Calendar
Sightability anywhere in the world

* Suggested Global Islamic Calendar, if Ulamaa accept it

* Sightability in North America

khuzema

Unread post by khuzema » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:57 pm

I do see the point that if every one celebrates the Eid on same day it will be more fun and its sign of unity and I am all for it.

But I don’t agree with someone forcing others to celebrate Eid on a day when he wants to celebrate Eid. If a Wahabi says that he don’t want to use new scientific methods to view moon and he will use age old method (using Eyes) to see moon as Prophet Muhammad use to do, I think he is right in his way. Same is true for Bohras.

khuzema

Unread post by khuzema » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:18 pm

I think that if we all can celebrate Eid on the same day than that will be sign of unity, but the opposite is not true. If we are not celebrating Eid on same day that does not mean it is a sign of anti-unity. Regardless of what day we celebrate Eid we are all united under the same Shahada (La Ilaha Illallah, Muhammadur rasul Allah).

If all Christians are celebrating Christmas on same day that does not mean we should all celebrate Eid on the day? These are two very different thing. Two very different traditions.

Celebrating Eid on two different days does not show that Islam is not united. It just shows that like any other family, members Islamic family don’t think in same way. And that diversity is strength and not weakness.

It will become weakness if we try to harm each other, or to not help each other. Celebrating Eid on different days will not make us week.

If every one is agreeing without any one forcing anyone, I am all for celebrating Eid together.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:32 pm

If a Wahabi says that he don’t want to use new scientific methods to view moon and he will use age old method (using Eyes) to see moon as Prophet Muhammad use to do, I think he is right in his way. Same is true for Bohras.
I believe so called patrons of Wahabis (SA) are already doing some sort of calculations.

Solution is in Educutation and "READ"

Wasalaam Brother

Average Bohra

Unread post by Average Bohra » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:09 am

Originally posted by Humsafar:
This shows that Muslims are a diverse group. And diversity is a good thing. Such diversity even within India should be celebrated not condemned.
Diversity is a good thing and is demonstrated in <u>how</u> one celebrates Eid, not <u>when</u>. The latter demonstrates disharmony and confusion. The fact is that Muslims cannot decide upon the proper conclusion of one of its five pillars. That in itself is not cause for celebration.

saif

Unread post by saif » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:19 am

A LANDMARK DECISION FOR MUSLIMS

End of Moon Fighting
8/25/2006 - Religious - Article Ref: IC0608-3094
Number of comments: 9
By: Staff
IslamiCity* -

The Fiqh Council of North America has announced that it will no longer rely on naked eye moon sightings to determine the start of Islamic months and would instead use astronomical calculations.

Click Here to see the Islamic calendar
for 2006 - 2011

A special conference on Hilal Sighting was organized by the Fiqh Council of North America (FCNA) on 10 June 2006, in Virginia, attended by a number of jurists, Imams, astronomers and other concerned Muslims. A number of research papers dealing with the juridical and astronomical aspects of the topic were presented and discussed.

After much deliberation among the members and astronomical consultants, the following was concluded:

Position of the Fiqh Council of North Americ a (FCNA) on using astronomical calculations for Islamic Dates:

The Fiqh Council of North America after careful research, deliberations and discussion has adopted a new position regarding the determination of the beginning of the Islamic lunar months. This position is based primarily on the following Fiqhi premises:

Sighting the Hilal (ru'yah) is not an act of 'ibadah in itself; it is rather a means to know with certainty about the beginning of the new month related to Islamic 'Ibadat.
Ru'yah as a means was indicated and used by the Prophet Ã

profrog

Unread post by profrog » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:35 am

dear mf this is what the bohras have been following for all this years what you have posted is just like our calender be careful soon you will be labelled a kothari by the progs

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:29 am

Pro-frog
Look at your calender

Islamic month should start when it is good posibility of sighting the moon. Check your calander.

Bohra month of Shawwal al-Mukarram1427H started on sundown of October 22nd. Was there possibility of seeing moon after sunset on October 22nd in Bombay?
Answer is no.
Did Syedna see moon in Bombay on October 22nd?
NO.

The reason Muslims in USA went for Eid on Monday bacause it was possible to see the moon at San Diego (angle is 9.8º >Danjon Limit, and moonset is 8 minutes after sunset so it is present above the horizon. At Longitude 179:59W and latitude 45:00S Moonset is 71 min after sunset. Age is 25.4 hours and is 11.3 degrees above horizon).

Please look at this Sighting Reports for Shawwal 1427 .
Wasalaam

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:32 am

Sorry
Link for sighting report is as follos:

Sighting Reports for Shawwal 1427.

Humsafar

Unread post by Humsafar » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:30 pm

Some look at the moon, others perfer the calendar. Let the 'how' mingle with the 'when'. It's not a requirement that Eid be celebrated on the same day. And even if it were, who cares.

And brother Spot, a Mulsim Ummah is an utopian hope. There never was one and never will be one. Let there be a million interpretations of the Quran, and a million Eids.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:25 pm

Humsafar,

There was a Muslim Ummah once, if only for a few years, during the time of the prophet and for a few years after him.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:49 pm

I am posting relevent information regarding moon sighting and begining of Ramadan as per Fiqh-Us-Suunah (Brtohers this is as per Sunnah of our prophet not as per Sunnis)

Please post requirement as per Fiqh-Us-Bohra or Fiqh-Us-Shia

The Arrival of Ramadan
As per Fiqh-Us-Sunnah No.3.111

This event is confirmed by sighting the new moon, even if it is seen by only one just person, or by the passage of thirty days in the immediately preceding month of Sha'ban.

Ibn 'Umar said: "The people were looking for the new moon and when I reported to the Messenger of Allah that I had seen it, he fasted and ordered the people to fast." This is related by Abu Dawud, al-Hakim, and Ibn Hibban, who declared it to be sahih.

Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet instructed: "Fast after you have seen it [the new crescent] and end the fast [at the end of the month] when you see it. If it is hidden from you, then wait until the thirty days of Sha'ban have passed." This is related by al-Bukhari and Muslim.

Commenting on these reports, at-Tirmidhi states: "Most knowledgeable people act in accordance with these reports. They say that it is correct to accept the evidence of one person to determine the beginning of the fast. This is the opinion of Ibn alMubarak, ash-Shaf'i, and Ahmad. An-Nawawi says that it is the soundest opinion. Conceming the new moon of Shawwal [which signifies the end of the fast], it is confimmed by completing thirty days of Ramadan, and most jurists state that the new moon must have been reported by at least two just witnesses. However, Abu Thaur does not distinguish between the new moon of Shawwal and the new moon of Ramadan. In both cases, he accepts the evidence of only one just witness."

Ibn-Rushd comments that: "The opionion of Abu Bakr ibn alMundhir, which is also that of Abu Thaur and, I suspect, that of the Dhahiri school of thought, is supported by the following argument given by Abu Bakr al-Mundhiri: there is complete agreement that breaking the fast is obligatory, that abstaining from eating is based on one person's report, and that the situation must be like that for the beginning of the month and for the ending of the month, as both of them are simply the signs that differentiate the time of fasting from the time of not fasting."

Ash-Shaukani observes: "If there is nothing authentic recorded that states that one may only accept two witnesses for the end of the month, then it is apparent, by analogy, that one witness is sufficient, as it is sufficient for the beginning of the month. Furthemmore, worship based on the acceptance of one report points to the fact that such singular reports are accepted in every matter unless there is some evidence that specifies the peculiarity of specific cases, such as the number of witnesses conceming matters of wealth, and so on. Apparently this is the opinion of Abu Thaur."

Different Locations
As per Fiqh-Us-Sunnah No.3.112
According to the majority of scholars, it does not matter if the new moon has been sighted in a different location. In other words, after the new moon is seen anywhere in the world, it becomes obligatory for all
Muslims to begin fasting, as the Prophet said: "Fast due to its sighting and break the fast due to its sighting." This Hadith is a general address directed to the whole Muslim world - that is, "if any one of you sees the moon in any place, then that will be a sighting for all of the people."

According to 'Ikrimah, al-Qasim ibn Muhammad, Salim, Ishaq, the correct opinion among the Hanafiyyah, and the chosen opinion among the Shaf'iyyah, every "country" (or territory) is to take into consideration its own sighting and not necessarily to follow the sighting of others. This is based on what Kuraib said: "While I was in ash-Sham, the new moon of Ramadan appeared on Thursday night. I retuned to Madinah at the end of the month. There, Ibn 'Abbas asked me: 'When did you people see the new moon?' I said:
'We saw it on Thursday night.' He said: 'Did you see it yourself?' I said: 'Yes, the peoplesaw it, and they and Mu'awiyyyah fasted.' He said: 'But we saw it on Friday night. We will not stop fasting until we complete thirty days or until we see the new moon.' I said: 'Isn't Mu'awiyyah's sighting and fasting sufficient for you?' He said: 'No . . . This is the order of the Messenger of Allah.' " This is related by Ahmad, Muslim, and at-Tirmidhi.

About the Hadith, at-Timmidhi says: "It is hassan sahih ghareeb. Scholars act in accordance with this Hadith. Every land has its sighting." In Fath al-'Alam Sharh Bulugh al-Maram, it is stated: The [opinion] closest [to the truth] is that each land follows its sighting, as well as the areas that are connected to it."

Wasalaam

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:45 pm

Here is picture of Maulana and his worshippers
From rediff.com

spot

Unread post by spot » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:13 pm

i have a problem with the criteria that the moonsighting.com site use for its determination of the day.

in november 2006, the new moon will occur on nov. 20th. how is it the the first day of Dhul-Qi'dah is on nov. 22th instead of the 21st?

spot

Unread post by spot » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:19 pm

the same is for december 2006, the new moon will occur on dec. 20th. how is it the the first day of Dhul-Hajj is on nov. 22th instead of the 21st?

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:16 pm

Br.Spot

Send him e-mail asking same questions. I am sure he will respond.
He has helped me with Qibla direction on one project.

Email is
shaukat@moonsighting.com

Wasalaam

profrog

Unread post by profrog » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:49 am

what if you are staying in a place where seeing of the moon is impossible due to weather what do you do,why is it wrong to use technology and science to know when its new moon or not.

profrog

Unread post by profrog » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:04 am

muslims want to use technology every where else e.g you use watches for namaz times,planes to go to haj,cars to travel to masjid,emails to communicate,compasses to find kibla, and so many other instances but when it comes to the moon it is a big NO why please somebody answer me, why dont you use the traditional methods in all in all aspects of your religion ,go to haj on camels or on foot,use the sun to predict the salaat times and so on

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:53 pm

It is difficult to agree with the members of Animal Kingdom but I do agree with Frog that we should be using calculation and I do hope the Fiqh Council of America which had taken a bold step this year will continue with this tradition of projecting based on calculation.
I get a laugh from people who keep on bringing Sunnah of Prophet (SAW) regarding moon sighting but when it comes of Iftar time they look at their watches and if it is one minute late they become restless and start screaming about delaying IFTAR. Based on the size of moon, it was obvious that this year in USA, Monday was the correct day for EID which again was announced in advance by Fiqh Council and obviously observed by Dawoodi Bohras

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:47 pm

Dear Br. Ombharti
AS

Regarding Fiqh Council of America's decision please note the following:

I agree with their decision.

Their calculations are not just based on birth of moon, but Birth of moon + Age of Moon (Moon should be at least old enough to reflect light, at least 12 hours) + Moon must set after magrib in one of 48 states of America. This assures visibility aftersunset in America and satisfies Fiqh-us Sunnah I have posted. This is and should be acceptable to educated and believing (in Quran and Sunnah of our Prophet SAW) Muslims.

Regarding Spot's observation:
in November 2006, the new moon will occur on Nov.. 20th. how is it the first day of Dhul-Qi'dah is on November. 22nd instead of November 21st?
My guess is this;
Moon probably was born late on 20th. There was no possibility of seeing on 21st because it might have set before sunset (Magrib).

regarding profrogs comment:
and so many other instances but when it comes to the moon it is a big NO why please somebody answer me, why don’t you use the traditional methods in all in all aspects of your religion ,go to hajj on camels or on foot, use the sun to predict the Salaam times and so on
Except riding on camel (Prophet or God never told us to ride on camel only) Salat times are calculated as per Sunnah of Prophet.

Fajr when there is enough light to approximate black thread white thread phenomena, Noon when sun is at its height Asr when one shadow(+shadow at noon) or 2 shadow, Sunset at proper setting time and Isha at total darkness. Only Innovators has abandoned Isha completely in their Salat
Prayer timing schedule.

Wasalaam