Imam Tayyeb(as) = Imam Mahdi (as)??

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.

Imam Tayyeb(as) = Imam Mahdi (as)??

Unread post by Guest » Tue May 22, 2001 5:30 am

Is Imam Tayyeb (21st Imam) which we believe in seclusion the same Imam Mahdi, 12th Imam of Ithna Asharis ?

Re: Imam Tayyeb(as) = Imam Mahdi (as)??

Unread post by Guest » Tue May 22, 2001 8:06 am

No they're not the same. But first let me correct you: Bohras don't believe that Imam Tayyib (AS) is presently in seclusion but rather his descendant. For Bohras, the Imamate continues in seclusion, son after father.<p>The present and 12th Ithna Ashari Imam is Muhammad bin Hassan al-Mahdi (AS). Ismailis (including Bohras) have an Imam by the name of Abdullah bin Hussein al-Mahdi (AS) who died in Tunisia. The two al-Mahdi's are not the same but they are both descendants of Ali (AS) and Fatima (AS).<br>

Unread post by Guest » Tue May 22, 2001 8:27 am

They say that Imam Tayyeb(a.s) - 21st Imam is in 'parda', which I think means seclusion(hiding). Is he still alive? Imam Tayyeb has descendants which are also hiding? Did you mean to say that there are 2 Imam hiding? I am more confuse now. pls help brother Muslim. Is there any Literature which I can read about Imam Tayyeb(a.s)?

Unread post by Guest » Tue May 22, 2001 10:00 am

No, they don't say the 21st Imam is in purdah currently, they say he went into purdah in the 12th century AD and now one of his descendants is in purdah as the line of Imams continues. There is only one Imam. We don't know his name, so we just call him Imam az-Zamaan or Tayyib al-Asr. We don't know his birthday so we celebrate the birthday of the 21st Imam as his birthday. The 21st Imam was born 900 years ago, so it is unlikely that he is still alive. There is only one Imam - when one dies, the son becomes Imam.<p>In Ithna-Asherism it is different. Their Imam Muhammad bin Hassan al-Mahdi went into seclusion and the same Imam will re-appear. He is believed to have his life miraculously prolonged.<p>There is no literature on Imam Tayyib that I know of.