Eid-ul-Adha Mubarak-The supplication of the Imam Ali ibn

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.

Eid-ul-Adha Mubarak-The supplication of the Imam Ali ibn

Unread post by Guest » Mon Mar 05, 2001 1:40 am

<br> MAKARIM AL AKHLAQ<p>The supplication of the Imam Ali ibn al - Hussayn, Zayn al - Abidin (s.a.) on noble moral traits and acts pleasing <br>to ALLAH. <p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants,<br>cause my faith to reach the most perfect faith,<br>make my certitude the most perfect certitude (certitude means to feel certain )<br>and let my intentions attain to the best of intentions<br>and my work to the best of my work.<br> <br>Oh ALLAH augment my intentions through Thy bounty,<br>make sound my certitude about what is with Thee,<br>and restore to well being through Thy power what has <br>become corrupted in me. <p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants,<br>spare me from what distracts my attention,<br>employ me with what Thou wilt ask me about tomorrow,<br>and busy my days in that for which Thou has created me.<br>free me from want,<br>and expand Thy provision towards me,<br>but try me not with arrogance;<br>honour me, but afflict me not with pride;<br>make me worship Thee, but corrupt not my worship with self satisfaction;<br>bring about good towards mankind at my hand,<br>but efface it not by (my) expectation of (their) gratitude.<br>and bestow upon me the most exalted moral traits,<br>but protect me from vainglory.<br>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants,<br>lift me not a single degree before mankind<br>without diminishing me accordingly in my own eyes,<br>and give rise to no outward honour, without giving rise in my soul,<br>to an inward shame of the same measure.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and Muhammad's descendants,<br>let me enjoy correct guidance that I will not exchange,<br>a way of truth from which I will not swerve,<br>and a sound intention wherein I will not doubt.<br>let me live as long as my life is freely given in obedience to Thee,<br>but if my life becomes a pasture for shaitan,<br>pull me to Thee before Thy abhorrence overtakes me,<br>or Thy wrath against me becomes entrenched.<p><br>Oh ALLAH<br>leave no quality (in me) for which I will be blamed, without correcting it<br>no defect for which I will be censured without remedying it,<br>and no imperfect noble deed within me without completing it.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and Muhammad's descendents,<br>replace for me<br>the animosity of the people of hatred with love,<br>the envy of the people of insolence with affection, <br>the suspicion of the people of probity with trust,<br>the enmity of those who are near with friendship.<br>the disrespect of the kindred with dutiful esteem,<br>the desertion of relatives with help,<br>the amity of flatterers with sound love,<br>the rejection of friends with kind companionship,<br>the bitterness of fear from wrongdoers with the sweetness of security.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendents,<br>provide me with a hand against whoever wrongs me,<br>a tongue against whoever quarrels with me,<br>and victory against whoever opposes me.<br>grant me cunning against whoever (tries to) deceive me,<br>power against whoever mistreats me,<br>a refutation of whoever censures me, <br>and safety from whoever threatens me.<br>And make me fit to obey whoever rightly guides me,<br>and to follow whoever leads me on the true part.<br> <br>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendents,<br>guide me so that I may counter with good advice<br>whosoever acts dishonestly towards me,<br>so that I may make amends with whosoever parts company with me,<br>so that I may reward with generosity whosoever deprives me,<br>so that I may recompense with union, whosoever cuts himself off from me,<br>so that I may oppose with excellent mention, whosoever slanders me,<br>so that I may give thanks for good,<br>and so that I may shut my eyes to evil.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendents,<br>attire me in the attire of the pious,<br>and clothe me in the adornment of the ALLAH fearing,<br>regarding the (qualities of) spreading justice, restraing anger,<br>quenching the fire of hostility, drawing together the people of separation,<br>correcting dissension, disclosing good conduct, covering faults,<br>being of a gentle disposition, being ready to listen, <br>leading an irreproachable life, preserving calm and dignity, <br>being of good temper, surpassing in virtue,<br>preferring courteousness, abandoning reproach,<br>showing favour towards the unworthy,<br>speaking the truth even when it is difficult,<br>counting as slight the good in my words and deeds, even if it be great,<br>and counting as great the evil in my words and deeds even if it be slight;<br>and perfect this for me, through constant obedience (to Thee)<br>attachment to the community, and rejection of the people of innovation,<br>and those who employ opinions they have invented themselves.<br> <br>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendents,<br>appoint Thy widest provision for me, when I grow old<br>and Thy strongest strength for me, when I am exhausted, <br>and do not tempt me, to be indolent in worship of Thee,<br>to be blind toward Thy path, to undertake what is opposed to loving Thee,<br>to join with whoever has separated himself from Thee,<br>or to separate from whoever has become joined to Thee.<p>Oh ALLAH make me rush to Thee in times of constraint,<br>ask from Thee in times of need, and humbly entreat Thee in times of misery;<br>torment me not with having to seek aid from any beside Thee, when I am constrained,<br>nor with having to yield to asking from any beside Thee when I am stricken with need<br>nor with having to implore any beside Thee when I fear;<br>for in that way that I would deserve Thy abandonment, rejection and desertion,<br>Oh Most Merciful of the merciful<p>Oh ALLAH transform the desire, doubt and envy that Satan throws into my heart<br>into remembrance of Thy tremendousness, meditation upon Thy power,<br>and preparation against Thine enemy,<br>and (transform) all the shameful words, idle talk, vilification of honour, false witness,<br>ill talk of absent believers, reviling of present ones, and similar things,<br>that (shaitan) passes over my tongue<br>into speech in praise of Thee, submersion in eulogy of Thee,<br>exertion in glorification of Thee, gratitude for Thy blessings,<br>acknowledgement of Thy good doing, and the enumeration of Thy favours.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendents,<br>let me not be wronged, for thou art able to repel evil from me;<br>let me not do wrong, for Thou art powerful to restrain me;<br>let me not go astray, for Thou can guide me;<br>let me not be afflicted with poverty, for my ease comes from Thee;<br>and let me not wax indolent, for from Thee comes my wealth.<p>Oh ALLAH I come forward to Thy forgiveness, I aim at Thy pardon, <br>I desire Thy forbearance, and I have confidence in Thy bounty.<br>With me is nothing that would warrant Thy forgiveness, <br>nor in my works anything through which I might be worthy of Thy pardon,<br>nor do I have anything, after assessing my soul, but Thy bounty.<br>so bless Muhammad and his descendents, and shower me with Thy bounty.<p>Oh ALLAH cause my speech to guide, inspire me with watchfulness,<br>give me success in what is purest, and employ me in what is most pleasing.<br>Oh ALLAH cause me to travel the most exemplary path,<br>and make me live and die in Thy religion.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants,<br>let me enjoy the middlemost course, make me one of the people of rectitude,<br>the leaders of right guidance and pious servants,<br>and provide me with triumph at the Place of Return,<br>and safety from Ambush.<p>Oh ALLAH take to Thyself of my soul, whatever will purify it,<br>and leave of my soul whatever will improve it,<br>for my soul will perish unless Thou protectest it.<p>Oh ALLAH Thou art my provision when I sorrow, <br>and Thou art my refuge when I am deprived; from <br>Thee I seek aid when I am distressed,<br>with Thee is substitute for everything lost, well being for everything corrupted<br>and change from everything Thou disapprovest.<br>So favour me with health lest I become afflicted,<br>plenty lest I need to seek (provision), and integrity lest I go astray ; <br>suffice me against the burden of disgrace before (Thy) servants,<br>bestow upon me security on the Day of Return, and grant good guidance.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants,<br>ward off (evil) from me through Thy kindness, nourish me through Thy blessings<br>give me well being through Thy generosity, heal me through Thy fashioning,<br>shade me in Thy shelter, envelop me with Thy good pleasure,<br>and let me successfully attain, the best when affairs confuse me,<br>the purest when (course of) action seem alike,<br>and the most pleasing (to Thee) when creeds conflict.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants,<br>crown me with capability, entrust me with good governance,<br>bestow upon me correct leadership, but tempt me not with affluence.<br>Grant me ease, but transform not my life into toil and pain.<br>Answer not my supplication with rejection, for I deem none rival to Thee,<br>and I call upon none as Thy equal.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants,<br>keep me away from extravagance, fortify my provision against loss,<br>make my possessions abundant through blessing them,<br>and let me walk the path of guidance, through righteousness in what I spend thereon.<br> <br> <p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants,<br>spare me the burden of acquisition, and provide for me without reckoning,<br>so that I may not be distracted from praying to Thee by seeking (provision)<br>nor bear the load of earnings consequences.<p>Oh ALLAH so grant me through Thy power what I seek,<br>and protect me through Thy might from what I fear.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants,<br>let me keep my self respect by (granting me) ease,<br>and do not degrade my dignity by impoverishment,<br>lest I (should have to) ask for sustenance, from the people of Thy provision,<br>and beg from the evil ones among Thy creatures.<br>Then I would suffer the trial of praising those who give to me, <br>and the affliction of blaming those who refuse me, while beyond them, <br>Thou art the master of giving and refusing.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants,<br>provide me with health for worship, leisure for ascetic discipline,<br>knowledge for application, and piety for good activity.<p>Oh ALLAH close my life's term with thy pardon,<br>confirm my hope in expecting Thy mercy,<br>ease my paths to attaining Thy good pleasure, <br>and make my works good in all my states.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants, <br>make me attentive to remembrance of Thee in times of forgetfulness,<br>apply me to obedience to Thee in the days of opportunity, <br>make plain for me an easy road to loving Thee,<br>and through it complete for me the good of this world and the next.<p>Oh ALLAH bless Muhammad and his descendants,<br>as excellently as Thou has blest, any of Thy creatures before him<br>and wilt bless any after him.<br>And give us in this world good, and good in the world to come, <br>and guard me through Thy mercy, against the chastisement of the Fire.<p><br>TRANSLATED BY : WILLIAM C. CHITTICK<p>ACK: THE MUHAMMADI TRUST OF GREAT BRITAIN & IRELAND<br>9, MOUNT PLEASANT ROAD - LONDON<p>