Can we have certain rules for posting here?

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
Smart

Can we have certain rules for posting here?

Unread post by Smart » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:20 pm

Dear Admin,
Should all of us have certain rules for posting on various fora on this site?
This is my 2 penny worth of suggestion:

SUGGESTED RULES OF POSTING:
1. Absolutely NO personal attacks or name calling.
2. NO posts advocating hate.
3. No hit-and-run posts.
4. NO TROLLS.
5. No SMS posts. Proper English please.

Any suggestions from the readers to keep a certain dignity and a minimum amount of courtesy on this website. There are a lot of uncommitted readers who are put off by the gaalis etc.

Safiuddin

Re: Can we have certain rules for posting here?

Unread post by Safiuddin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:13 am

Admin I would echo this request - though it seems that your ears have deafened to numerous past requests for same.

Could it be that there is another agenda that is not apparent here?

Danish

Unread post by Danish » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:33 am

Seconded Smart's suggestions. Glad you brought it up. It's about time admin/mods get to serious work in order to keep this fora respectful at the least at all times. Criticisms of any kind must be tolerated and given its due diligence to refute, question or elaborate its intent without personal attacks.

Gulf

Unread post by Gulf » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:23 am

smart, why dont you ask your jamaat to issue an e-Progressive jamaat cards.. then only card holder will be allowed for post....

jayanti

Unread post by jayanti » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:42 am

E progressive jamaat card? Half of the people frm different culture n religious they dont know any thing about it.If u tell them to provide their real identity they will disappear.y they r afarid of.Kothor is not going to attack them nor family.In this forms all have e jamaat card n they come to masjid and enjoy lavish and if they told like they bitch on this sites like Insaf, asgarali.

Hozefa

Unread post by Hozefa » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:48 am

Let Allah help all of us, neither me nor you of any spiritual leader going to decide about your deeds.

Na Baap Badaa Na Bhaiyya
Yaha Sabse Bada Rupayya

Smart

Unread post by Smart » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:07 pm

@Gulf

There is no jamaat involved here. Please don't judge this site by the Taheri standards. This site has higher principles for operation and is interested in promoting the truth, so there is no control on who can come and write here. However with every authority, comes commensurate responsibilty, which denizens of the animal kingdom don't understand.

It is like having rules in every civilised society. Primitive societies have a person based regimen, whereas advanced societies have a rule / principle based regimen.

I am sure that the administrators of the site would not want to cut off any point of view, however these must be posted courteously.

For this purpose there is a need to define rules for behaviour. The taheris have a vested interest in posting swear words etc. Then they can tell their brainwashed brethren that look at our site, how good they are and look at the site of the progressives, it is full of gaali galoch. I have personally heard this sort of a comment.

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:29 pm

Smart,

The basic rule for posting is pretty much defined - no foul language. Other then that, we leave it to the members to use this forum with maturity and understanding. We could define a whole list of rules but it would be a lot of work to monitor each and every post. The more rules there are the more people will break them. Besides we do not want to be "policing" what people have to say so long as they maintain basic decency.

Thank you for your interest in this site and the reform movement. We really appreciate it.

East Africawalla

Unread post by East Africawalla » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:45 pm

Agree with admin otherwise we will not be able to read from people like Zulfikar etc, I thought control was what the progressives were arguing against and now you are advocating one

Safiuddin

Unread post by Safiuddin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:21 pm

The more rules there are the more people will break them
This really sounds like an excuse to not do the work reqquired. Thousands of other sites have rules and they are adhered to.

What is the problem here?

Smart

Unread post by Smart » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:18 pm

Admin,
The basic rule for posting is pretty much defined - no foul language.

However this rule is not being followed at all. What is being done about it? Do we want a free for all or a cultured discussion?

I agree with you that a minimum of rules are best, but anarchy should not be accepted.

Any rules, howsoever minimum, need to be displayed and enforced. Hope you take action on that.

I am sure you are doing this voluntarily, however you need to have a team of volunteer monitors if not moderators.

Gulf

Unread post by Gulf » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:43 pm

I am sure you are doing this voluntarily, however you need to have a team of volunteer monitors if not moderators
so you too want to create PGI (progressive guard internet) ... men you are making fun of the website owner :D
do you want all users as volunteer??

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:03 pm

Do we want a free for all or a cultured discussion?
I would go with free for all as freedom to raise one's true voice is priceless... Cultured discussion is a very subjective word. Some people do lot of cultured discussion inspite of using the dreaded four letter word frequently... I think this site allows people to raise their opinions and at times the response has to be in appropriation with the post to create a neccessary impact. Unless a person uses only foul language and adds no substance there is no reason to ban or force him to leave... On this site people generally do not use foul language except a few... As compared to other forums we are already pretty civilized...

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Yes, we could do with a couple of volunteers to help us monitor the forum. Any takers?

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:28 pm

Admin,

I guess it can be Safiuddin and Smart..

Hozefa

Unread post by Hozefa » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:39 pm

Originally posted by Admin:
Yes, we could do with a couple of volunteers to help us monitor the forum. Any takers?
It would be interested and challanging too.

awaiting !! :roll:

Hozefa

Unread post by Hozefa » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:42 pm

Originally posted by Aareef:
Admin,

I guess it can be Safiuddin and Smart..
Whoever but they should have to create another Usrid for moderation purpose.. no need to mix up with the same Userid the have now

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:19 pm

There is no need for separate IDs. The role of the monitors would be to keep an on the posts and inform us if anything needs our attention/intervention. They can use the "report post" button to alert us. The decision to act would be solely up to our discretion.

Safiuddin

Unread post by Safiuddin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Admin please see my private reply to you.

Thai

Unread post by Thai » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:18 am

I am assuming we are all responsible adults here. In which case, Do we really need to be monitored like schoolchildren? Can we not act responsibly the way Allah intended us to act? Why not be our own self monitors? If we find some posts disturbing---do not answer to it. If we are upset or need to vent--write something then erase it/not post it and wait until later to reply.

We can all work as a team. When discussions get heated---gentle reminders to cool it, or to keep things decent should be able to get the discussions back on track. If not---live and let live. :)

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:41 am

Moderated forums eventually lead to censorship as the biases of the moderators come into play. I support Admin’s decision to continue to let this forum run free. If you are offended by a post, ignore it or stop visiting the forum. As evidenced by the numerous Wahabis and Orthodox Bohras on this board who despise anyone else who doesn’t think like them, it is critical that this board exist in its current format to enable the Anajmi, MF, and KSA’s of the world to be allowed to voice their opinions, just like Orthodox Bohras.

What @Smart is essentially saying is “ I like playing but I don’t like the rules of the game”…well, find a different sport.

Smart

Unread post by Smart » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:06 am

OMG This thread has touched a nerve.

Dear Admin, I agree with your approach that some of us can report misuse of the forum. The deicision must remain with the administrators.

I would like to volunteer.

Hozefa

Unread post by Hozefa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:50 am

modration and restriction of posting will lessen members and visitors

instead of this try to convince bohras internet users to visit this site, start canvacing / compaining by using yahoo-groups as aburahani and other bohra websites doing try to get them here by hard work.. give them directly forum page reference rather than main page because people always like to discuss more than reading...
assume if 20 out of 100 would pay visit and atleast 2 out of 20 would be a regular member.. it will make a big big change you never had before on this site....

my $0.02
Forum moderation at this time NOT required

sorry for my termi

Hozefa

Unread post by Hozefa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:58 am

you can make a slide show, showing this site features naming it with popular bohra tags and finally could launch on youtube, video google, metacafe and any other popular video host website.

Hozefa

Unread post by Hozefa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:06 am

And you need to stop using word 'taheri' this is unusual and looks like an old fashion so, there is no excitement for the new generation (atleast 80% of internet users belong to new generation)of bohra by this name

Smart

Unread post by Smart » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:09 am

@Hozefa,

Nobody is talking of moderating or restricting the contents of the post. At least on my part, I am clear that this forum is valuable precisely because it provides complete freedom of thought. That in case must remain its most important strength.

What I want to do is to eliminate discourteous behaviour many people indulge in by calling others names, questioning their parentage etc.

Asking people to be courteous does not mean taking away the right to express their thoughts. As a matter of fact it is those who cannot reason indulge in such behaviour.

Hozefa

Unread post by Hozefa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:29 am

Example.......!! ??

Safiuddin

Unread post by Safiuddin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Hozefa,

Please search through some of the past posts on this forum and you can see what completely abusive commentary some have posted here.
While I agree that freedom of expression should be paramount - abuse, hate posts, screaming in all caps, name calling and foul language shrouded with asterisks should not be tolerated.

Look at the recent posts of Gulf and Jayanti and you caan see how abusive and inappropriate these members have become.

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:09 pm

We've responded to all those who sent us private messages. Pls check your profiles.

Smart

Unread post by Smart » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:53 am

@Admin,
Could you please post the final decision in this matter, then it would be public knowledge.