Bohras Discriminate on basis of Dress

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
ghulam muhammed

Bohras Discriminate on basis of Dress

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:03 pm

A couple of weeks back there was a bohra wedding reception at Burhani College, Mazgaon, Mumbai wherein around 50 bohras attended the reception wearing shirt/pant and their heads covered with topi. When some of them sat in the thaal alongwith others who were dressed in 'quami libas', to their utter shock the quami libaswalas got up from the thaal. This came as an act of great humiliation for the ones dressed in shirt/pant as no one was willing to sit with them. Finally all of them were given a separate thaal but this insult was too much for some of them to bear who refused to eat and left the venue without eating anything. It is quite obvious that people are "maan na bhooka not khaawa na bhooka".

Apart from Mumbai, in all the other major cities like Chennai it is difficult to know whether one is attending a happy occassion of a marriage or a ghum ni majlis because the compulsory dress code is the same for all occasions i.e. kurta/saaya. A few years back, kothari agents were deployed at the entrance of every wedding reception venues and the ones not wearing rida or topi were prohibited from entering. If at all some hot headed persons did enter and if the venue was a bohra hall then the kothari agents would switch off the hall lights thereby forcing the host to bar their guests from entering the hall.

like_minded

Re: Bohras Discriminate on basis of Dress

Unread post by like_minded » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:13 am

This is an act of Terror!

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:45 am

ghulam muhammed wrote:it is difficult to know whether one is attending a happy occassion of a marriage or a ghum ni majlis because the compulsory dress code is the same for all occasions i.e. kurta/saaya.
it is not just the dress code, even the rituals are the same. whether it is eid, or mayyat or a wedding or misaak, the same b.s. goes on. majlis, maataam, namaaz, and 2 rakats for syedna and his dead father, ghanu jeevo's, etc. ad nauseum.. its all doom and gloom 24/7. its as if since the last 30-35 years our lives have become filled with unending misery, sorrow and lamentation. maybe the syedna has finally and secretly realised that it was he after all who is emulating yazeed and the guilt is now showing.

the ortho's even go on picnics in that ridiculous white night suit outfit and eat the same 2 kharaas, mithaas stuff. its only that the venue changes. instead of the markaz its the mountains or a park or seashore. how can u enjoy in such circumstances?

it wud be the day when we have a bohra team in the olympics, swimming in ridas and std's, hurdling, pole vaulting, horseriding, figure skating, fencing, karate and gymnastics etc. after every victory there wud be a maatam and vazaefuna. in fact, how about a bohra cricket team outfitted in std's and long flowing beards? surely we wud make a mark on the world stage.

after every session there wud be live relay from saifee mahal, and ziyafat. the gold medals won wud be of course immediately given as najwa to syedna. any additional medals will be for mazun and mukasir.

like_minded

Unread post by like_minded » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:24 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 am

A couple of weeks back a bohra gentleman went to the masjid at Mohamedali Road to attend the Sadaq Allah of a deceased person but was refused entry by the masjid amil only because he was wearing a shirt/pant although he was sporting a beard and wearing a topi. This is the type of grip that the kothar has over the community that bohras are stopped even from offering prayers and entering the House of Allah on a filmsy ground like maintaining a dress code although there is no such thing at all in Islam. This is the effect of acquiring Masjids by way of wakf to reduce the sanctity of Masjids to that of the 'house of Burhanudin saab' instead of its original purpose to that of being the 'House of Allah'.

makberi

Unread post by makberi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:39 am

thts suprising cuz i have seen ppl pray in bohra mosques in pant/shirt many times esp in zuhr namaz when most ppl cme directly from office.....ridiculous reason to stop smeone

Anwar

Unread post by Anwar » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:11 pm

No I am not surprised. And this is one other problem in our community, the local amil, who wants to play god.
And the darpok bohri acceps whatever these local goonda amils do.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:30 pm

As a matter of fact have you tried to enter Raudat Tahera without SAYA and Topi
They would not allow you to enter (unless of course you belong to Narendra Modi's party) without STD

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:34 pm

Have you recently seen the gullible bohra women dressed up in their traditional rida and riding two wheelers with HELMET on their head ? It is a real funny sight to watch. Dont be surprised if there is a farman from kothar to wear only "kasab ni helmet" and then the bohra shops in the mohalla will be stuffed with various types of colourful kasab helmets to match the respective ridas.

East Africawalla

Unread post by East Africawalla » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:48 am

I think women in chadar driving 2 wheelers look very sophisticated , whe I saw that in Mumbai I was impressed.

You guys only see the negatives.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:30 am

East Africawalla wrote:I think women in chadar driving 2 wheelers look very sophisticated , whe I saw that in Mumbai I was impressed.

You guys only see the negatives.
eaw, check my previous post on this topic. in fact i had given lots of "positive" suggestions in it. it was as follows:

--it wud be the day when we have a bohra team in the olympics, swimming in ridas and std's, hurdling, pole vaulting, horseriding, figure skating, fencing, karate and gymnastics etc. after every victory there wud be a maatam and vazaefuna. in fact, how about a bohra cricket team outfitted in std's and long flowing beards? surely we wud make a mark on the world stage.

after every session there wud be live relay from saifee mahal followed by ziyafat. the gold medals won wud be of course immediately given as najwatus shukur to syedna. any additional medals will be for mazun and mukasir. --

i agree, competing in olympics in ridha and std's wud look very sophisticated. for once we are on the same wavelength.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:05 pm

How about a colourful plastic rida for swimming competition ?

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:21 pm

The photo below appeared in Mid-Day – Mumbai dated 24th January 2002 with the caption says that "Nakya Zakuddin of Al Madressa Al Saifia Al Burhania (situated in premises of Burhani College ) participated in the Long Jump at Bombay University Pavilion." When I met a friend of Zakiya Zakiuddin after two days he regretted that "Zakya is an excellent long jumper but because the orthodox school imposed the restriction of covering herself with Rida she failed to win the game"

I request Brother East Africawala to think over his justification.

East Africawalla

Unread post by East Africawalla » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:34 pm

Insafbhai,

I did not generalise that Rida is ok for all occasions , In this particular instance of long jump its ridiculous decision to force this youg lady to wear rida.

In our community we still have people who are programmed in their thinking and make decisions without thinking because they have to follows the rules imposed upon them , thats the problem with a close nit community who have to observe the 'norm' imposed by others but cannot argue on the grounds of being ostracised.

I am sure with above statement AZ will claim that I am a closet reformist , I am just a master of my own thinking and decisions , my statements are misinterpreted and misrepresented.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:26 pm

eaw, i will not be critical of yr comment. the moment u agree that there is need for reforms, u are automatically a reformist. to be one, u need not leave our community or proclaim yr mastery over yr free thoughts from the rooftops.

do i see the beginnings of a reform minded person here? welcome to the world of people who say it the way it is, without fear or rancour. but remember, the kothar does not like or encourage people like u, who profess free thinking and speech.

East Africawalla

Unread post by East Africawalla » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:39 am

I am not sure reform minded is the correct definition , its free minded , not in any camp, free to air your point of view