Why Dawoodi bohra women wear colourfull Burqa (Rida)

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
mmv

Why Dawoodi bohra women wear colourfull Burqa (Rida)

Unread post by mmv » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:33 am

Salam to All,
Why dawoodi Bohra women wear colourfull Burqa (Rida)?.
is it to get the Identity among muslim?
why it is clourfull and with latest emboridary on it..why it not be simple??
is it Islamic to wear such Rida with Attract the male eye?

Aarif

Re: Why Dawoodi bohra women wear colourfull Burqa (Rida)

Unread post by Aarif » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:15 am

mmv,

Rida is an innovation brought about by our present syedna Muhammad Burhanuddin saheb. Earlier bohri women use to wear black burqa or khes. Our present syedna has banned black color as it indicates mourning. However, it is highly ironical that the same syedna promotes mourning at every occassion (including wedding) by doing maatam of Imam Husain.

On the other hand I am not sure whether it is Islamic or not but I don't think rida is vulgar or cheap either. Males get attracted to women whether they wear burqa or not. I have seen men staring at muslim women wearing burqa and covered from head to toe. In fact I think this rida innovation adds some color to the already boring and monotonous community life of dawoodi bohra women. I have heard some rich ladies talking about designer wear ridas costing anywhere from 5000 and above on an average. So as long as women don't have any problems wearing this stuff and it does not look vulgar or cheap on their bodies I think we should be OK with it.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:27 pm

There is nothing wrong in wearing colorful and designer ridas so long as it is treated as an innovation of a type of dress that one wants to adorn but the whole concept of making it compulsory and wearing it "in the guise of purdah or hijab" is totally wrong. If the ridas are worn as a sign of observing purdah/hijab then why is it made attractive ? Do the women want to attract people towards them or want to refrain people from looking at them ? Hence the very purpose for which it is made compulsory is lost because by wearing stylish ridas women want that more and more people should look at them instead of the otherway round.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:02 pm

i agree that the primary purpose of a hijab or any other body covering for women should be to preserve a woman's modesty and conceal her obvious anatomical features from the eyes of men, many of whom may have lustful intentions.

in that respect the ridha fits the bill. but where it then to a certain extent contradicts itself is when women embellish it with lace, beads, sequins and embroidery and wear them in eye-catching colours and designs. now one may realistically state that this allows women some latitude to indulge their feminine creativity instead of stifling them behind monochrome colours and designs where their individuality is lost, like the men's standard white STD's.

but what this also does is encourages women to establish a class and status consciousness, because the masjid/markaz becomes a daily show of one-upmanship. a rat race and a means to assert superiority and flaunt wealth. the bensaabs and their daughters now run a lucrative designer ridha business and hapless bohra soceity women are sort of coerced into buying. they dare not refuse.!

no matter how hard i try to understand the rationale behind this, i cannot grasp the logic behind this whole colourful ridha business. what it has only succeeded in doing is changed the equation. the inner beauty of our traditional dress like ghaghra choli which used to be concealed under the simple khais has changed and now they wear a simple t-shirt/petticoat inside and an elaborate ridha outside.

bohra women on the way to the masjid are referred to as 'butterflies' by the rest of indians. u may draw yr own conclusions.

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Arif you are right. The criticism about rida is not warranted. By all means rida fulfills the ethos of modest dressing. On one hand it covers the body on the other it is not too cumbersome to wear like khaima type burqa. Criticizing everything for the sake of it will lose meaning. Honest reformers are ones who can say sooth in front of tyrant.
Indulging in petty affairs will not get us anywhere. 1500 crore thread should be extensively debated. it seems dawat e haiya has become a giant state agency. I would say for the sake of little honesty, then just get rid of this yoke of religion, convert it into a business empire. everyone will be better of including syedna saheb's family.

mmv

Unread post by mmv » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:01 am

Salam All
Thanks for the explanation and different views about Rida..

The question I asked because, Isaw a now a days the ladies wear a colour full, costly and designer in
occasion like Moharram and ashura....this feels me a bit sad that when we come to remember Husain(A.S) and Zainab(A.S)
Can't ladies wear a Simple RIda on atleast these days, Can't be any Farman for Maula (t.u.s) (as Different Farman comes out. like No IFTAR on Ramzan..etc.. ) to wear a Simple Rida... Even Gents Comes with Embroided SAYA KURTA...
Can't we Bohra Follows a Simple Life style..??

TBG

Unread post by TBG » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:51 am

i think apart from the reasons you have already mentioned .. it is also another way to distinguishing themselves from others. Anywhere in the world when you see someone wearing a rida you instantly know its a bohra. Its become the identity.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:40 am

Can Rida be equated with Burqa since now Burqa is banned in France. How does it work there?

alik

Unread post by alik » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:05 am

Hmm,ridaa is the hottest thing that has happened to bohrii babes,days arent far,we may have me manish malothra designing rida for all kotharii and shekhs kii biwis and betii...again its like a gift box,knots at both ends...i knows girls who get ridas stiched likes skrits(tight on the hips) to look hot and impress guys in the masjid...

jayanti

Unread post by jayanti » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:55 am

Omabharathi, do u reside in france?

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Finally you got it......Man your Syedna finally gave you thru GHAIB NU ILAM :lol:
Never thought you will get it...Now donot ask me where in France I live......

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Oma really intresting question. I dont know whether Burqa is banned or covering face is banned. Hijab is banned in turkey. we shall have to dig a bit more into it. Lately france has become very intolerant culturally and religiously. let us find out. And if really all kinds of hijab and burqa is banned, then we in norht america should do something. Write to your public reps.etc.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Br. Acccountability
As far as North American is concerned, we are much safer and more tolerant. CAIR, ISNA and other Muslim organizations
(I do belong to some of them) have already discussed these issues with our elected officials and law enforcement agencies. Hijab is now accepted in most states for Driver Licenses as well as for Passport. Only thing which is not allowed is NIQAB (covering of face) and I think that for safety issue I agree that face should be visible. As I have said interacting with elected official and expressing our concerns are of utmost important.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Abaya = a long sleeved loose arab dress which extends down to below ankles- no buttons.

Jilbaab = same as an abaya but open/slit through middle.. with buttons, like a coat.

Khimar = Hijab that goes down to the waist ( the Indonesians and Malaysians tend to wear them a lot)

Niqaab = face veil, either made of transparent material or like the ones worn by old style arabic women in the arab gulf.

Burkha = the khimar with a niqaab which looks like a topi incorporated into the cloak (Afghan women wear them)

Jalabiyah = a bit like an abaya, used often at home by men and women as a house/night dress

Thawb = similar to the abaya, but without buttons, like a bohra saya

Deere' = very loose, light cotton dress with short sleeves worn by Yemeni and Somali women at home or casually outside while working. would be combined with a khimar and head scarf by women normally while visiting or shopping

Ridha = bohra garment with 2 seperate pieces of clothing. a loose skirt which extends below ankles and a peecho, which covers the upper half, without sleeves, and which incorporates the head scarf, normally never pulled over the face.

Dishdasha/Kandoora = a loose white or off-white full body dress which is used by men and women in arabia.

Khais = similar to the traditional afghani and pakistani burkha with a head covering shaped to keep it in place like a tent. was extensively used by bohra women before.

all these have been used or are still being used for modesty by women not only among muslims, but hindus and other cultures as well. what is noteworthy is that while the prophets numerous wives practised modesty by covering their body, they never ever covered their faces in the manner which is enforced by some over zealous muslims today. it is also important to remember that modesty is enjoined equally on both men and women. the quran absolutely does not discriminate between them. if a virtous man ever encountered a woman who directly looked at him, it was enjoined that he would lower his gaze.

this discussion has served its purpose and is not further relevant to bohra struggle for reform.

seeker110

Unread post by seeker110 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:13 pm

They all look like shuttle-cocks to me.

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:00 pm

Seriously guys, is this what Islam is reduced to ? Worrying about colors and embroidery on Ridas ? No wonder Muslims are regressing.
mmv wrote: ladies wear a colour full, costly and designer in occasion like Moharram and ashura....this feels me a bit sad that when we come to remember Husain(A.S) and Zainab(A.S)
If the story of Husain and Zainab don’t make you sad but colorful Ridas do, then Husain and Zainab can’t help you ‘cause you are an idiot.

Get a life....

Safiuddin

Unread post by Safiuddin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:00 am

Can't we Bohra Follows a Simple Life style..??
mmv this is something the hypocrite burhanuddin espoused in his Muharram vaez in Dubai some years ago. . ."do not live ostentatiously, don't follow fashion, blah blah blah and bark bark bark."
See how his he and his own family of bhokta evildoers follows that advice. Don't know why there is this talk of ridhas and what Bohri women wear - it's clear that they are all as hypocritical as their shrewd and intransigent moula.

jawanmardan

Unread post by jawanmardan » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:40 pm

Al Zulfiqar wrote:i agree that the primary purpose of a hijab or any other body covering for women should be to preserve a woman's modesty and conceal her obvious anatomical features from the eyes of men, many of whom may have lustful intentions.

in that respect the ridha fits the bill. but where it then to a certain extent contradicts itself is when women embellish it with lace, beads, sequins and embroidery and wear them in eye-catching colours and designs. now one may realistically state that this allows women some latitude to indulge their feminine creativity instead of stifling them behind monochrome colours and designs where their individuality is lost, like the men's standard white STD's.
The line between modesty and segregation of women is an important distinction. If anything the Rida is far more conservative than the Hijab, yet allows for a degree of individuel expression, which women in many islamic societies are denied.
but what this also does is encourages women to establish a class and status consciousness, because the masjid/markaz becomes a daily show of one-upmanship. a rat race and a means to assert superiority and flaunt wealth. the bensaabs and their daughters now run a lucrative designer ridha business and hapless bohra soceity women are sort of coerced into buying. they dare not refuse.!

no matter how hard i try to understand the rationale behind this, i cannot grasp the logic behind this whole colourful ridha business. what it has only succeeded in doing is changed the equation. the inner beauty of our traditional dress like ghaghra choli which used to be concealed under the simple khais has changed and now they wear a simple t-shirt/petticoat inside and an elaborate ridha outside.
bohra women on the way to the masjid are referred to as 'butterflies' by the rest of indians. u may draw yr own conclusions.[/quote]

Fashion is not merely about class, or even vanity but also a means of individual expression and form of communication. You cannot do away with class through dress. I don't know if the Hijab is any less acceptable to orthodox Bohra society so I would appreciate you enlightening me in that regard. Though I would propose the Rida's popularity or indoctrination has more to do with differentiating Bohra from the majority Muslim population, the use of culture as a means to distinguish minorities is not unique to Bohra but found in almost all communities.

Aqa Moula_Zindabad

Unread post by Aqa Moula_Zindabad » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:18 am

alik wrote:Hmm,ridaa is the hottest thing that has happened to bohrii babes,days arent far,we may have me manish malothra designing rida for all kotharii and shekhs kii biwis and betii...again its like a gift box,knots at both ends...i knows girls who get ridas stiched likes skrits(tight on the hips) to look hot and impress guys in the masjid...
Mr. Manish Malhotra,

U might be desigining in the similar way for ur mother and sister also to make them a hot entetainment to the outside world.

jayanti

Unread post by jayanti » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:36 pm

for his mother and daugther they need a size of hangkerchief cloth.

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:05 pm

Some of you have got this argument wrong...

Rida and Hijab are 2 diffrent forms of clothing. Rida is worn by Bohras and Hijab by many Muslims

Definitions of Hijab:

Hijab is loose clothing which does not need to be be of specefic style or cut (hence allows cultural and geographic freedom) but any loose opaque clothing that hides the female curves which protects a women's sexuality.

Hijab has to cover the hair on the head which is also obligaory. The closest Bohras get to Hijab is the stuuf they wear within their ehram to cover their hair during Hajj !

Therefore the colour or attractiveness of prints is irrelevant as putting on perfumes because sight or smell can arouse equal attention.

The point is how revealing the rida is. When a Bohra girl wears a tight Gagra which reveals their hips and shape that is haraam, when a Bohra girl raises her arms in public which reveal her bust and bodily shape that is haram ( I have seen some offensive acts in Masjids and is very close to bordering flaunting and flirting), when a bohra girl lets her hair be visible such that you can see her hair colour, hair style that defeats any relevance to Hijab. My point the rida is a not Hijab and more a cultiral dress as the Sari is to Indians.

However if Bohras wear a Hijab and make it lolok like butterflies then so what it can be called a Hijab as many other North Middle eastern cutures in Turkey, Iran wear attractive floral Hijab styles as long as it satisfies the primary purpose of the hijab.

Whether the Surat mafia whant to press all bohras to wear their style of Rida is a freedom issue and my comments are reserved.

mmv

Unread post by mmv » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:32 am

Fatwa Banker wrote:Seriously guys, is this what Islam is reduced to ? Worrying about colors and embroidery on Ridas ? No wonder Muslims are regressing.
mmv wrote: ladies wear a colour full, costly and designer in occasion like Moharram and ashura....this feels me a bit sad that when we come to remember Husain(A.S) and Zainab(A.S)
If the story of Husain and Zainab don’t make you sad but colorful Ridas do, then Husain and Zainab can’t help you ‘cause you are an idiot.

Get a life....
Mr. FB

Plz mind your Language..U have no right to say anybody "Idiot"

I need not not need anybody Cirtificate,between me and Imam Husain (A.S).
we don't feel Sad for Imam Husain...we Mourn Him and his Ahlebet and for 72 shahid...
and we Keep him in our heart...We remember him..the way he protected Islam..
so before posting your Comment Plz control your Language.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:45 pm

Allah (swt) says in the Qur'an:

O children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon ‎you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts, etc) and as an adornment. But the ‎raiment of righteousness, that is better. [Surah Al A'raf 7:26]

The widespread forms of dresses in the ‎world today are mostly for showing off and hardly taken as a cover and shield of the ‎woman's body. To the believing women, however the purpose is to safeguard their body ‎and cover their private parts as a manifestation of the order of Allah. It is an act of ‎Taqwah (piety).

Allah (swt) made the adherence to the hijab a manifestation for chastity and ‎modesty. Allah says:

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of ‎the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) over their bodies (when outdoors). That is most ‎convenient that they should be known and not molested. [Surah Al Ahzab 33:59]

In the above verse ‎there Allah (swt) gives the hijab as a preventative action to safeguard their chastity.

Allah (swt) had shown us the hikmah (wisdom) behind the legislation of the hijab:

And ‎when you ask them (the Prophet's wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a ‎screen; that is purer for your hearts and their hearts. [Surah Al Ahzab 33:53]

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:06 pm

This is no longer relevant or necessary. The Quran is a dated document written for a specific audience at a specific period in time. It is not universal as evidenced in the fact that its followers have made no contribution to the betterment of society in generations.

They are, however, very much in tune with the evolving fashion in women’s attire.

seeker110

Unread post by seeker110 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:00 pm

It would be better for muslims to live in Arab countries and dress like them.There is nothing wrong in rida and hijab,if done in the country where everybody dresses that way.When you live in Rome.............
Isnt it as bad to see people in their half naked attire,while one wears rida or hijab.Or it is a one way street.

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:21 pm

It is a one way street in that wearing "half naked attire" is forbidden in Islamic countries.

TBG

Unread post by TBG » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:39 pm

Dear FB,
After carefully studying the Quran, we are able to divide the teachings/revelations into three sections
1) Some of the revelations were pertinent to the time when they were revealed and specific to that era
2) Some of the teachings are for all times and hold true no matter what part of history you look at
3) Some of the teaching and revelations are in relation to the times there are to come

If the quran is a dated document why is it that it is the fastest growing religion in the world, and the converts by a long margin are the most serious and ardent followers of the religion. If its a dated document then why is it that in certain parts of the world we do not find issues that we find in the sub continent and the muslim community as a whole is a far more cohesive unit.

If we have an illness and we dont take medicine to cure it, lets not blame the medicine. We dont want to try it because of our own ignorance and lack of even trying to understand what does the medicine even do. There are countless examples of people who converted by just reading the Quran. How come dated books like the old testament and new testament does not have that effect on people like the Quran does?

We muslims lost our way after a brilliant start, and much of the advancements in science and technology is due to the contribution by the muslims.

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:23 pm

I don't know where to start as you are throwing some soft balls here. It is the fastest growing religion because:

1. You are born into it, whether you practice it or not
2. A majority of the converts in the West are incarcerated criminals, a captive audience (no pun intended)
3. The statistic itself is suspect as most Muslim countries are dirt poor and cannot feed their population let alone count them and measure trends in religious affiliations
4. Converts are added to the Muslim population, but those leaving it are not accounted for

As far as “Some of the teaching and revelations are in relation to the times there are to come”, that’s what the cult leaders say as well, and since we don't know the "times there are to come" this is false propaganda.
Muslim community as a whole is a far more cohesive unit.
Your screen name should be HSS, Head Stuck in the Sand !
If we have an illness and we don’t take medicine to cure it, lets not blame the medicine.
I am saying that what you claim to be medicine is causing the illness.

East Africawalla

Unread post by East Africawalla » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:27 am

I think Bohra women look great in colourful Rida, its a dress they have got used to and they love it it when they wear it at the mosque, a lot of competition on quality of Ridas .

Please never ever try to tell women what they should like or not , Bohra women love wearing Rida apart from a few so called 'modern' ones who have lost their way anyway.

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:57 am

Sister EA,

How many colorful ridas do you have??