Why Dawoodi bohra women wear colourfull Burqa (Rida)

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
ghulam muhammed

Re: Why Dawoodi bohra women wear colourfull Burqa (Rida)

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Study: hijab protects women

Muslim women often speak of feeling protected and respected when they wear the hijab (religiously mandated modest dress that covers the shape of the body and includes the headscarf or veil). Now there may also be evidence to show that their feelings are rooted in scientific fact.

When psychologist Susan Fiske and a team of researchers at Princeton University performed MRI brain scans on heterosexual men who viewed a series of images showing both scantily clad and fully clothed men and women, they found that the men had an unmistakable response to women wearing less clothing.

The less they wore, the more likely it was for the premotor cortex and the posterior middle temporal gyrus to light up. These are the areas of the brain associated with tool use, hand manipulation, and the urge to take action.

"It was as if they immediately thought about how they might act on these bodies," Fiske explained during the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science which was held in Chicago, February 12-16. "They are reacting to these photographs as people react to objects," she said.

Memory tests performed on the men showed that most of them best remembered photographs of headless women in bikinis despite viewing each image for only a fraction of a second. (Landau)

According to a lay summary of Fiske's study provided to IslamOnline.net, when a man's mentalizing network shuts down, this means he views sexualized women as "less human."

In addition, men associated the images of women who were more fully clothed with third-person verbs, such as "she pushes," "she handles," and "she grabs," which, according to Fiske, implies that men view fully-clothed women as having more command over their own actions and not as objects to be manipulated.

According to Fiske, the results of the study have important implications for women, especially in the workplace as it has previously been shown that viewing sexualized images of women can affect how men perceive women and interact with them afterwards.

A sexism study conducted by Lawrence University professor, Peter Glick, also found that professional women who wear provocative attire in the workplace are perceived by their co-workers as being less competent and less intelligent, especially when they are in positions of power. According to DiversityJobs.com, Glick's study suggests that "women in higher level and high power jobs may need to dress more modestly and conservatively to win the respect of their colleagues."

"You have to be aware of the effect of these images on people," Fiske said. "They're not neutral. They do have an effect on how people think about other women."

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:34 am

ghulam muhammed wrote:Study: hijab protects women
When psychologist Susan Fiske and a team of researchers at Princeton University performed MRI brain scans on heterosexual men who viewed a series of images showing both scantily clad and fully clothed men and women, they found that the men had an unmistakable response to women wearing less clothing.
..and they needed a team of Princeton researchers to figure this out ? What is even more troubling is that they had to give a "lay summary" of this complex research to wahabionline.net.

...I meant islamonline.net.

East Africawalla

Unread post by East Africawalla » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:57 am

Arif,

I thought women talk about the numbers of Ridas they have, are you AC/DC?

Silly remark really

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:51 am

As per my earlier post do not assume Bohras wear Hijab and any justification under Islamic rules is misleading and by strict definition Bohra women wear a fashion accessory called Rida.

As per our hypocritical practices where we will show so much conscious about napaki, white clothing for men, strange arkans or the prayer is nullified, how can Hudud allow the women exposure of important body parts be tolerated and proper Rida design be ignored ?

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:00 pm

important body parts ? :roll: Get your mind out of the gutter ! :lol:
proper Rida design ? Can you please post the schematic of the Wahabi approved Rida ? Does it have an opening for eyes ? :twisted:

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:09 pm

FB typical response, not surprised at all There are enough intelelcts on this site so I can afford to ignore your tantrum !

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:02 pm

Really ? Please post approved Rida design.

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:50 am

I think this thread is going nowhere... As I mentioned earlier rida as such is not indecent or vulgar. It is adequate enough even from Islamic perspective since it covers the hair and entire body accept the face. So far everybody has tried to poke holes by pointing out its flaws. Now let's look at the positive side of rida. Since, it is not black and allows women to choose colors of their liking women do not mind wearing ridas. They choose cloth and color of their liking and make ridas out of them. This keeps their interest alive in the quami libas. On the other hand if they were only given a choice of wearing a black color burqa than probably many modern bohri women would have chose not to wear it at all and would have gone with more modern stuff like jeans, tops etc which is worst than wearing a rida. I have seen muslim women wearing colorful scarfs which are very attractive to look at. Its women's very basic nature to dress up in attractive ways and whatever be the restrictions they will find their way around. So unless rida fails to achieve its above-mentioned purpose this discussion is meaningless...

PS: Sister EA. It was not an comment.. It was just an question so that you can throw some light on your views on rida.

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Aarif...I did not state Rida is vulgar however I still view it as in-adequate as a Hijab ? Adequate covering by whose standards and whose definition.
It is like me saying I can have alcohol as long as I do not get drunk or affects my motor skills..and by your definition I am adequately sober.

Others ..I have not commnted that Hijab does not need to be colorful..it is what it covers and what it is supposed to hide.. your defnition it covers hair what hair..the whole forehead and half the top head of course not..what does the Ismaili scriptures state on that ?

Sure if you state that Bohras do not want to wear literraly what Imams and the Prophet intended because that was Arabia 1400 years ago then say it and we can debate tolerance, fiqh, fatwas and Islam as an adaptable religion independent of time and geography some topic elsewhere?

I view the Rida to be the creation of the recent Kotharis to isolate and create a unique society outside mainstream Islam. Thereafter trying to justify its relevance to Islam is an excuse to fool the 1 million followers just incase you want to question the fanatics and sit on the fence between Islam and some Brahmin pagan leftover.

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:00 pm

ozmujaheed wrote: {As per my earlier post} how can Hudud allow the women exposure of important body parts be tolerated and proper Rida design be ignored ?
As per my earlier post, which body parts do Wahabis consider unimportant :?:

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:37 pm

Aarif...I did not state Rida is vulgar however I still view it as in-adequate as a Hijab ? Adequate covering by whose standards and whose definition.
It is like me saying I can have alcohol as long as I do not get drunk or affects my motor skills..and by your definition I am adequately sober.
Oz,
Honestly I did not get your point. Islam emphasizes on adequate covering of woman's body to protect her dignity and modesty. I think rida does achieve that purpose. Unless your definition of hijab is complete covering of the body from head to toe including face than rida is inadequate. However, most muslim women wear hijab in form of a scarf covering their head but with their face visible. Rida comes very close to that. Also, your alcohol example is out of place in this case. Its like comparing apples with oranges... Finally if you are too keen on defining adequacy than please provide us with a proper definition of hijab from holy Quran so that we can understand what is missing in Rida which disqualifies it as hijab.

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:22 pm

How should women observe Hijab correctly?
Basically, the dress of ladies should cover the whole body except the face and hands (i.e. palms and fingers). Hair should not be exposed because Islam considers it as half of the total beauty of women. The Hijab could be of any form and color, a one-piece chader or a three-piece ensemble, as long as it is not tight fitting and does not attract people's attention

Diagrams http://www.ezsoftech.com/akram/Hijab.asp

Women in Islam: Hijab
"In many Muslim societies, for example in traditional South East Asia, or in Bedouin lands a face veil for women is either rare or non-existent; paradoxically, modern fundamentalism is introducing it", writes Ibrahim B. Syed, Ph.D.

In the name of Allah the most Beneficent, the Most Merciful

Literally, Hijab means "a veil", "curtain", "partition" or "separation." In a meta- physical sense, Hijab means illusion or refers to the illusory aspect of creation. Another, and most popular and common meaning of Hijab today, is the veil in dressing for women. It refers to a certain standard of modest dress for women. "The usual definition of modest dress according to the legal systems does not actually require covering everything except the face and hands in public; this, at least, is the practice which originated in the Middle East." 1
While Hijab means "cover", "drape", or "partition"; the word KHIMAR means veil covering the head and the word LITHAM or NIQAB means veil covering lower face up to the eyes. The general term hijab in the present day world refers to the covering of the face by women. In the Indian sub-continent it is called purdah and in Iran it called chador for the tent like black cloak and veil worn by many women in Iran and other Middle Eastern countries. By socioeconomic necessity, the obligation to observe the hijab now often applies more to female "garments" (worn outside the house) than it does to the ancient paradigmatic feature of women's domestic "seclusion." In the contemporary normative Islamic language of Egypt and elsewhere, the hijab now denotes more a "way of dressing" than a "way of life," a (portable) "veil" rather than a fixed "domestic screen/seclusion." In Egypt and America hijab presently denotes the basic head covering ("veil") worn by fundamentalist/Islamist women as part of Islamic dress (zayy islami, or zayy shar'i); this hijab-head covering conceals hair and neck of the wearer.

The Qur'an advises the wives of the Prophet (SAS) to go veiled (33: 59).
In Surah 24: 31(Ayah), the Qur'an advises women to cover their "adornments" from strangers outside the family. In the traditional and modern Arab societies women at home dress quite differently compared to what they wear in the streets. In this verse of the Qur'an, it refers to the institution of a new public modesty rather than veiling the face.
...When the pre-Islamic Arabs went to battle, Arab women seeing the men off to war would bare their breasts to encourage them to fight; or they would do so at the battle itself, as in the case of the Meccan women led by Hind at the Battle of Uhud. This changed with Islam, but the general use of the veil to cover the face did not appear until 'Abbasid times. Nor was it entirely unknown in Europe, for the veil permitted women the freedom of anonymity. None of the legal systems actually prescribe that women must wear a veil, although they do prescribe covering the body in public, up to the neck, the ankles, and below the elbow. In many Muslim societies, for example in traditional South East Asia, or in Bedouin lands a face veil for women is either rare or non-existent; paradoxically, modern fundamentalism is introducing it. In others, the veil may be used at one time and European dress another. While modesty is a religious prescription, the wearing of a veil is not a religious requirement of Islam, but a matter of cultural milieu.2
"The Middle Eastern norm for relationships between the sexes is by no means the only one possible for Islamic societies everywhere, nor is it appropriate for all cultures. It does not exhaust the possibilities allowed within the framework of the Qur'an and Sunnah, and is neither feasible nor desirable as a model for Europe or North America. European societies possess perfectly adequate models for marriage, the family, and relations between the sexes which are by no means out of harmony with the Qur'an and the Sunnah. This is borne out by the fact that within certain broad limits Islamic societies themselves differ enormously in this respect." 3

The Qur'an lays down the principle of the law of modesty. In Surah 24: An-Nur: 30 and 31, modesty is enjoined both upon Muslim men and Muslim women 4:
Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for Greater purity for them: And God is Well-acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women That they should lower their gaze And guard their modesty: and they should not display beauty and ornaments expect what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that They must draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, or their women, or their slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their ornaments.

The following conclusions may be made on the basis of the above-cited verses5:

1. The Qur'anic injunctions enjoining the believers to lower their gaze and behave modestly applies to both Muslim men and women and not Muslim women alone.

2. Muslim women are enjoined to "draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty" except in the presence of their husbands, other women, children, eunuchs and those men who are so closely related to them that they are not allowed to marry them. Although a self-conscious exhibition of one's "zeenat" (which means "that which appears to be beautiful" or "that which is used for embellishment or adornment") is forbidden, the Qur'an makes it clear that what a woman wears ordinarily is permissible. Another interpretation of this part of the passage is that if the display of "zeenat" is unintentional or accidental, it does not violate the law of modesty.

3. Although Muslim women may wear ornaments they should not walk in a manner intended to cause their ornaments to jingle and thus attract the attention of others.
The respected scholar, Muhammad Asad6, commenting on Qur'an 24:31 says " The noun khimar (of which khumur is plural) denotes the head-covering customarily used by Arabian women before and after the advent of Islam. According to most of the classical commentators, it was worn in pre-Islamic times more or less as an ornament and was let down loosely over the wearer's back; and since, in accordance with the fashion prevalent at the time, the upper part of a woman's tunic had a wide opening in the front, her breasts were left bare. Hence, the injunction to cover the bosom by means of a khimar (a term so familiar to the contemporaries of the Prophet) does not necessarily relate to the use of a khimar as such but is, rather, meant to make it clear that a woman's breasts are not included in the concept of "what may decently be apparent" of her body and should not, therefore, be displayed.

The Qur'anic view of the ideal society is that the social and moral values have to be upheld by both Muslim men and women and there is justice for all, i.e. between man and man and between man and woman. The Qur'anic legislation regarding women is to protect them from inequities and vicious practices (such as female infanticide, unlimited polygamy or concubinage, etc.) which prevailed in the pre-Islamic Arabia. However the main purpose is to establish to equality of man and woman in the sight of God who created them both in like manner, from like substance, and gave to both the equal right to develop their own potentialities. To become a free, rational person is then the goal set for all human beings. Thus the Qur'an liberated the women from the indignity of being sex-objects into persons. In turn the Qur'an asks the women that they should behave with dignity and decorum befitting a secure, Self-respecting and self-aware human being rather than an insecure female who felt that her survival depends on her ability to attract or cajole those men who were interested not in her personality but only in her sexuality.
One of the verses in the Qur'an protects a woman's fundamental rights. Aya 59 from Sura al-Ahzab reads:

O Prophet! Tell Thy wives And daughters, and the Believing women, that They should cast their Outer garments over Their Persons (when outside): That they should be known (As such) and not Molested.

Although this verse is directed in the first place to the Prophet's "wives and daughters", there is a reference also to "the believing women" hence it is generally understood by Muslim societies as applying to all Muslim women. According to the Qur'an the reason why Muslim women should wear an outer garment when going out of their houses is so that they may be recognized as "believing" Muslim women and differentiated from street-walkers for whom sexual harassment is an occupational hazard. The purpose of this verse was not to confine women to their houses but to make it safe for them to go about their daily business without attracting unwholesome attention. By wearing the outer garment a "believing" Muslim woman could be distinguished from the others. In societies where there is no danger of "believing" Muslim being confused with the others or in which "the outer garment" is unable to function as a mark of identification for "believing" Muslim women, the mere wearing of "the outer garment" would not fulfill the true objective of the Qur'anic decree. For example that older Muslim women who are "past the prospect of marriage" are not required to wear "the outer garment". Surah 24: An-Nur, Aya 60 reads:
Such elderly women are past the prospect of marriage,-- There is no blame on them, if they lay aside their (outer) garments, provided they make not wanton display of their beauty; but it is best for them to be modest: and Allah is One who sees and knows all things.
Women who on account of their advanced age are not likely to be regarded as sex-objects are allowed to discard "the outer garment" but there is no relaxation as far as the essential Qur'anic principle of modest behavior is concerned. Reflection on the above-cited verse shows that "the outer garment" is not required by the Qur'an as a necessary statement of modesty since it recognizes the possibility women may continue to be modest even when they have discarded "the outer garment."

The Qur'an itself does not suggest either that women should be veiled or they should be kept apart from the world of men. On the contrary, the Qur'an is insistent on the full participation of women in society and in the religious practices prescribed for men.
Nazira Zin al-Din stipulates that the morality of the self and the cleanness of the conscience are far better than the morality of the chador. No goodness is to be hoped from pretence, all goodness is in the essence of the self. Zin al-Din also argues that imposing the veil on women is the ultimate proof that men suspect their mothers, daughters, wives and sisters of being potential traitors to them. This means that men suspect 'the women closest and dearest to them.' How can society trust women with the most consequential job of bringing up children when it does not trust them with their faces and bodies? How can Muslim men meet rural and European women who are not veiled and treat them respectfully but not treat urban Muslim women in the same way? 7 She concludes this part of the book, al-Sufur Wa'l-hijab 8 by stating that it is not an Islamic duty on Muslim women to wear hijab. If Muslim legislators have decided that it is, their opinions are wrong. If hijab is based on women's lack of intellect or piety, can it be said that all men are more perfect in piety and intellect than all women? 9 The spirit of a nation and its civilization is a reflection of the spirit of the mother. How can any mother bring up distinguished children if she herself is deprived of her personal freedom? She concludes that in enforcing hijab, society becomes a prisoner of its customs and traditions rather than Islam.
There are two ayahs which are specifically addressed to the wives of the Prophet Muhammad (S) and not to other Muslim women.

These are ayahs 32 and 53 of Sura al-Ahzab. ".. And stay quietly in your houses," did not mean confinement of the wives of the Prophet (S) or other Muslim women and make them inactive. Muslim women remained in mixed company with men until the late sixth century (A.H.) or eleventh century (CE). They received guests, held meetings and went to wars helping their brothers and husbands, defend their castles and bastions.10
Zin al-Din reviewed the interpretations of Aya 30 from Sura al-Nur and Aya 59 from sura al-Ahzab which were cited above by al-Khazin, al-Nafasi, Ibn Masud, Ibn Abbas and al-Tabari and found them full of contradictions. Yet, almost all interpreters agreed that women should not veil their faces and their hands and anyone who advocated that women should cover all their bodies including their faces could not face his argument on any religious text. If women were to be totally covered, there would have been no need for the ayahs addressed to Muslim men: 'Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty.' (Sura al-Nur, Aya 30). She supports her views by referring to the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad (S), always taking into account what the Prophet himself said 'I did not say a thing that is not in harmony with God's book.'11 God says: 'O consorts of the Prophet! ye are not like any of the (other) women' (Ahzab, 53). Thus it is very clear that God did not want women to measure themselves against the wives of the Prophet and wear hijab like them and there is no ambiguity whatsoever regarding this aya. Therefore, those who imitate the wives of the Prophet and wear hijab are disobeying God's will.12

The actual practice of veiling most likely came from areas captured in the initial spread of Islam such as Syria, Iraq, and Persia and was adopted by upper-class urban women. Village and rural women traditionally have not worn the veil, partly because it would be an encumbrance in their work. It is certainly true that segregation of women in the domestic sphere took place increasingly as the Islamic centuries unfolded, with some very unfortunate consequences. Some women are again putting on clothing that identifies them as Muslim women. This phenomenon, which began only a few years ago, has manifested itself in a number of countries.

It is part of the growing feeling on the part of Muslim men and women that they no longer wish to identify with the West, and that reaffirmation of their identity as Muslims requires the kind of visible sign that adoption of conservative clothing implies. For these women the issue is not that they have to dress conservatively but that they choose to. In Iran Imam Khomeini first insisted that women must wear the veil and chador and in response to large demonstrations by women, he modified his position and agreed that while the chador is not obligatory, modest dress is, including loose clothing and non-transparent stockings and scarves.18

In the matter of hijab, the conscience of an honest, sincere Believer alone can be the true judge, as has been said by the Noble Prophet: "Ask for the verdict of your conscience and discard what pricks it."
Islam cannot be properly followed without knowledge. It is a rational law and to follow it rightly one needs to exercise reason and understanding at every step

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:39 am

Basically, the dress of ladies should cover the whole body except the face and hands (i.e. palms and fingers). Hair should not be exposed because Islam considers it as half of the total beauty of women. The Hijab could be of any form and color, a one-piece chader or a three-piece ensemble, as long as it is not tight fitting and does not attract people's attention
Islam cannot be properly followed without knowledge. It is a rational law and to follow it rightly one needs to exercise reason and understanding at every step
Rida does follow your above-mentioned criteria. If some young girls are purposely wearing tight ridas it does not disqualify the dress itself.

canadian

Unread post by canadian » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:27 pm

I remember an old Indian movie song which went something like this;
"when you die, God will ask you why did you hide all the beauty I gave you?".

In a world where men and women are supposed to have equal rights, Why do men dictate what women should or should not wear? I do not see any woman insisting on a particular mode of dress for men!

Where in the Quran or in any so-called hadith, is it said about women wearing burqa or hijab or rida? This is not a religious issue- I think it is cultural and male chauvinism.
I thought God's command applied to both men and women to be modest.....that'a all, nothing about wearing burqa or women not going out alone, etc.

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:11 pm

AA what about ..."Hair should not be exposed " ?

Secondly why are Bohras restricted to the same style of Rida as the Kotharis ? And why are the women who try to improvise to meet strict Islamic criteria are frowned upon ? I am yet to see where Amils wives and Shazadhi the centre of Bohra education excellence going round stating "beno tamara baal bow dekhai che"

I will back off if you adequately prove to me that hair is a mis-interpretation of Islamic rule and our Rida complies 100% to Islamic hijab ?

Canadian..Quran is not a male order ? It is instructions from Allah The Prophet was a male surely but it will be difficult to argue this debate if we have to start questioning why Imams and Prophets were all men , and if you think the rules are biased... start a new topic on it and we debate it there.

Regarding the style I agree it is left to common sense and culture to define. but look around you what is the fashion today. Tell me otherwise...point blank ...ladies fashion is sold and marketed for sexuality...jeans which majority are tight around the hips or latest Sarwal Kurta or Sari are designed to bring about the sexuality of women where their hips, stomach and breasts are outlined..that is sold as beauty ...that is what every testosterone filled male looks out for in young and mature not old women...I admit I do too but then my conscious reminds me that the Quran says men have to show modesty and self restraint I lower my gaze and I do my part.

If women wear modest clothing like long skirts or loose fitting clothes and a head scarf like many North Arabs I accept that is hijab too.

Regarding biological equality in fashion I do not know what goes through a woman’s psychology, I have not researched on what drives women desires but let me use logic, a man’s hair would be less influence especially since in Islam culturally men keep very short hair the Bohra or Muslim skull cap can act as a covering for whatever hair is remaining on the head

I do not wear tight jeans like rock stars which show outline of my sexual tools or tight tee shirts which show my broad chest or biceps...excuse my language .. my style of dressing such as loose shirts and loose pants do enough to conceal my body parts to justify my modesty, the male kurta or business wear complies too. Therefore I am very unlikely to draw sexual desires from women

Some may ask why such stricter rules for women then biologically I and many men are stronger to fight back any touching or molestation from drunken women, prostitutes or gay. I doubt many Bohra gujarati girls if dressed in Hijab or not would be able to fight back drunk men out to have fun and the Hijab reduces your risk.

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:59 pm

ozmujaheed wrote: I am very unlikely to draw sexual desires from women
I would tend to agree with you, as your closed minded Wahabi bigotry would make any self-respecting woman cringe at the thought of being around you. It is clear from your postings that to you women are objects of sexual desire solely, and that all men are horn dogs ready to pounce on any "object" that is not wearing a sack.

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:22 pm

OZ,

I think you should really backoff as this discussion is not making any sense. Rida does allow you to cover your hair to an extent which can qualify as adequate. If women expose their hair while wearing rida does not mean rida is inadequate... It is their choice to keep part of their hair exposed. Also, even if part of the head is visible I don't see it as a big deal. Again as I have mentioned I have seen men in Bhindi bazaar staring at muslim women wearing black burqa and completely covering themselves as per your definition of hijab. The bottom line is let's not do nitpicking. I am against other innovations of syedna but don't see anything wrong with Rida...

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:35 am

I think that the moot point here is as to why a particular type of dress is made compulsory in the name of hijab and why are bohra women not allowed to cover themselves in a manner they want to, so long as it fulfils the conditions of a hijab.

The reasons are :- a) Kothar wants to create and maintain a separate identity for their followers and restrict them from mingling with the mainstream muslims for reasons which are far too many and which have been dealt with on this forum on a regular basis.

b) Previously there was a discrimination in the dress code of the abdes and the so called royal family. The abdes wore a black khes and the royals wore colorful and expensive ridas. The abde men wore shirt/pant or sherwani but the royals only wore kurta/saaya. Although this arrangement inflated the egos of the royals as they managed to secure for themselves a place way above the 'raiyat' but simultanously it proved to be a major headache for them as it made them stand out in a group of people thereby preventing them from visiting places which were a taboo for bohras and which also curtailed their various lavish rendezvous (at the cost of community funds). Hence they needed to find a way out by which way they could not be spotted wherever they went. They then came out with this idea wherein they managed to kill 2 birds with one stone. They made rida and kurta/saya compulsory for bohras which firstly helped them in camouflaging themselves with mainstream bohras thereby making it difficult for people to identify them from amongst mainstream bohras. Secondly they brought this farmaan by saying that "Aqa mola ye mumin par kitlo moto karam farmayo chhe ke apni family no libas tamaam raiyat ne peherwa ni raza aapi chhe". This was enough to sway and convince the bohras to adapt this dresscode en mass without questioning the logic behind this.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:36 am

Rida, Saya and Topi were made compulsory because some BOHRA businessman came with the idea and got one of the SHEZADADS to get this pass thru Syednda so he can get his cut in the profits same as RUHANI TOILETs.
If you want to become rich in Bohra community come up with some ideas and get one of the SHEZADAS as partner and get it thru Kohtar to make it mandatory for all MUMINEEN to do it and walla you are rich. I guarantee if Syedna announces tomorrow that you can only eat a certain brand of Rice or only drink certain Brand of tea and that is the only brand than can be served in Niyaaz the owner will become Shaikh in no time with hefty Najwa to Syedna and his GOONS

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:22 pm

ghulam muhammed wrote:point here is as to why a particular type of dress is made compulsory in the name of hijab and why are bohra women not allowed to cover themselves in a manner they want to, so long as it fulfils the conditions of a hijab.
As an Asian Wahabi I am sure you have access to the upper echelon of Saudi rulers [ :wink: ], have you asked them the same question ? Whay can't Saudi women "cover themselves in a manner they want to, so long as it fulfils the conditions of a hijab" ? We will "cover" other woman degredation issues in Wahabiland elsewhere. Stop being a bigoted hypocrite.

mutmaeen

Unread post by mutmaeen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:40 am

bro gm

since u r so convinced that the bohra dress code is to permit the priestly clan to indulge in tabbos and go to wrong places isnt it logical that u or those who share ur beliefs either personally pr thru ur mercenaries stalk these priestly clan and vidograph their acts and then upload it on this site? i m sure if there was any truth in what u said some die hard reformer wud hv produced the evidence by now

bro oma

can u identify the businessman who benefitted out of the imposition of this dress code? if no then ur allegations are fictitious.u or anyone is free to sell or tailor the bohra dresses and make moolah-u dont need any raza for that

East Africawalla

Unread post by East Africawalla » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:07 am

Oma,

As you are always asking for evidence , please can you answer mutmaeen question ?

Name the businessman

Maqbool

Unread post by Maqbool » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:25 am

The excerpt below is an article published in Hindu

http://www.hindu.com/2009/07/14/stories ... 101200.htm

Zoya Hasan, who teaches at the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), was quoted as saying: “Though historically the burqa was a sign of subservience, in the present society everyone should have a choice to practice his or her religion and culture, which includes the dress pattern.”

“I hate the burqa for what it symbolises — the denial of women’s rights. However, I think legislating further is absurd. It will only single out one group and egg Muslim women on to wear the burqa if only to defy Sarkozy,” Janine Krause, a militant socialist, told The Hindu. “There is no point in shouting at Muslim women for their backwardness. We must work more to improve the standard of living and the integration of these populations which live on the fringes of society. The burqa becomes a badge of identity,” she said.

The burqa (Rida) should be a choice to wear of an individual, it should not be forced not to wear by any authority and equally should not be forced by mulla or moulanas to wear it.

jayanti

Unread post by jayanti » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Maqbool wrote:The excerpt below is an article published in Hindu

http://www.hindu.com/2009/07/14/stories ... 101200.htm

Zoya Hasan, who teaches at the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), was quoted as saying: “Though historically the burqa was a sign of subservience, in the present society everyone should have a choice to practice his or her religion and culture, which includes the dress pattern.”

“I hate the burqa for what it symbolises — the denial of women’s rights. However, I think legislating further is absurd. It will only single out one group and egg Muslim women on to wear the burqa if only to defy Sarkozy,” Janine Krause, a militant socialist, told The Hindu. “There is no point in shouting at Muslim women for their backwardness. We must work more to improve the standard of living and the integration of these populations which live on the fringes of society. The burqa becomes a badge of identity,” she said.

The burqa (Rida) should be a choice to wear of an individual, it should not be forced not to wear by any authority and equally should not be forced by mulla or moulanas to wear it.
Maqbool,
So Pls tell your family not to wear burka or rida okay.we dont want your advice keep with yourself.

Thanks.

Maqbool

Unread post by Maqbool » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:21 am

Mrs. Jayanti,

I am also against to force my family what to wear. They have their freedom.

jayanti

Unread post by jayanti » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Maqbool wrote:Mrs. Jayanti,

I am also against to force my family what to wear. They have their freedom.
Mrs Maqbool, then lets enjoy the freedom......correct

Maqbool

Unread post by Maqbool » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:19 am

Madam Jayanti,

Yes that is what I am saying, let us all enjoy our freedom. The mullas and moulanas have no business to interfere in our freedom. They should not force us what to wear and not to.

At last you have undersood!

At last you have undersood! Thnak you and good bye

jayanti

Unread post by jayanti » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:23 am

Maqbool wrote:Madam Jayanti,

Yes that is what I am saying, let us all enjoy our freedom. The mullas and moulanas have no business to interfere in our freedom. They should not force us what to wear and not to.

At last you have undersood!

At last you have undersood! Thnak you and good bye
Mulla Maqbool,

So u understood what freedom is......Good bye !!!1

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:01 pm

mutmaeen wrote:bro gm

since u r so convinced that the bohra dress code is to permit the priestly clan to indulge in tabbos and go to wrong places isnt it logical that u or those who share ur beliefs either personally pr thru ur mercenaries stalk these priestly clan and vidograph their acts and then upload it on this site? i m sure if there was any truth in what u said some die hard reformer wud hv produced the evidence by now
Bro Mutmaeen,

Some years back when rida was the exclusive privelage of the so called royal family, I have seen bensaabs and shehzadis at nariman point alight from their respective cars after removing their ridas and enter Samarkand restaurant at Hotel Oberoi Towers in western outfits way past midnight. I have made a mention of this on another thread on this forum. Some people are even witness to the rendezvous of the late Yusuf Najmuddin and late Mukasir Salehbhaisaab at Hotel Ambassador during the period when the said hotel was owned by Salehbhaisaab.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:06 pm

Fatwa Banker wrote:As an Asian Wahabi I am sure you have access to the upper echelon of Saudi rulers [ ], have you asked them the same question ? Whay can't Saudi women "cover themselves in a manner they want to, so long as it fulfils the conditions of a hijab" ? We will "cover" other woman degredation issues in Wahabiland elsewhere. Stop being a bigoted hypocrite.
Fatwa Banker,

As the slave of Burhanudin saab Iam sure you too have access to the upper echelon of kothar, have you asked them where the hard earned money of the slaves extorted by them on various pretexts are siphoned off ? Stop being a bigoted hypocrite.