Dream Project of Bhendi Bazar

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
asad

Re: Dream Project of Bhendi Bazar

Unread post by asad » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:28 am

ghulam muhammed wrote:
asad wrote: Noorani hotel has been vacated in the last one week, very big coup by kothar
There are reports that an exorbitant amount was paid to Noorani owners as kothar wanted to send signals to other sunni Muslim shopkeepers in the vicinity. Some locals say that an amount of Rs.25 crore was paid whereas there are many who believe that the amount paid was actually Rs.110 crores.

Whatever be the case as it will require only a few Ziafats and Hadiyats to recover this amount.
yes rumors are running from 22-110 crore but exact amount paid is 16 crores. There are four partners in Noorani hotel. one partner has got 6 crores and rest is distributed among the other three. they are planning to open a new restaurant in the nearby area only as their main clientele was Bohras.

Though its a silly question but any sane Bohra should ask where has Kothar got the money to invest.

israfild

Unread post by israfild » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:37 am

Below are some rumours i have heard. Anybody can confirm or refute this?

1. Noorani being paid 33Cr. (i read the other posts of this same case and of course there is no way of confirming or refuting this.)

2. Those Bohras who have over the years bought more than one room in their names and if these combined rooms are more than 350 Sq. Ft., they are being given only 1 flat of 350 Sq. Ft. in the final project. That means even if a person currently has 800 Sq Ft. house in his / her name, he will be given a flat of 350 Sq. Ft. :shock: :shock: :shock:

In a project as big as this, there will be several hurdles right till its completed and many many rumours like the ones above and discussed earlier, however, we should be cautious in claiming them to be real...

Bori85

Unread post by Bori85 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:23 am

israfild wrote:Below are some rumours i have heard. Anybody can confirm or refute this?

1. Noorani being paid 33Cr. (i read the other posts of this same case and of course there is no way of confirming or refuting this.)

2. Those Bohras who have over the years bought more than one room in their names and if these combined rooms are more than 350 Sq. Ft., they are being given only 1 flat of 350 Sq. Ft. in the final project. That means even if a person currently has 800 Sq Ft. house in his / her name, he will be given a flat of 350 Sq. Ft. :shock: :shock: :shock:

In a project as big as this, there will be several hurdles right till its completed and many many rumours like the ones above and discussed earlier, however, we should be cautious in claiming them to be real...

You are right, there will be rumours too, but last what I heard is not a rumour , the shop keepers opposit Evan - E- Kutbi have already got a stay order against this project, they are not ready to leave from that place.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:49 am

Makeover for Bhendi Bazaar
INDIAN EXPRESS dated 1, Jan. 2013 by Alison Saldana
At 2 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, the wrecking ball is hard at work on Pakhmodia Street in Bhendi Bazaar. Ten buildings out of a cluster of 13 are being pulled down. Not too far from the demolition site, 37 families are busy packing the last of their belongings. They are readying for the big move—one that will see the 16.5-acre, 200-year-old bazaar metamorphose into an urban sprawl of modern, hi-tech skyscrapers.
Bhendi Bazaar, a neighbourhood of both residential and commercial buildings, sits in the heart of South Mumbai. From antiques at Chor Bazaar to hardware markets on Mutton Street, Bhendi Bazaar has something for everyone.
It has had its share of infamy too. This is the neighbourhood where Dawood Ibrahim comes from. Dawood, who operated out of Pakhmodia Street in Bhendi Bazaar, is said to own many properties here, seven of which have been confiscated by the government.
The revamp
Demolition in Bhendi Bazaar began in September in one of the eight clusters but has now stopped due to opposition from a few residents. Construction is slated to begin in April 2013. In January, residents from three other clusters will move into swanky transit camps that have been built at Mazgaon and Byculla for residents of Bhendi Bazaar to live in till their new homes are built.
The road blocks
Despite the no-profit tag that the Bhendi Bazaar redevelopment project carries, it has not escaped the problems of acquisition. The initial plan to redevelop 18 acres had to be scaled down to 16.5 acres or 249 buildings as a few people were not keen to be part of the renewal.
The Trust says it has got approval from 85 per cent of the tenants and landowners of the area. This almost unanimous approval from the residents has largely been credited to their faith in Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin, the high priest of the Dawoodi Bohra community. The Bohris form 85 per cent of the population in Bhendi Bazaar and the others include Shias, Sunnis and a few Hindus.
The residual 15 per cent residents, or 35 buildings, scattered across the neighbourhood, have kept the project on tenterhooks. “While we can take a decision to exclude the peripheral areas from the project, we cannot exclude the 15 per cent as many of the buildings are in crucial places where we are planning roads,” says Abizer Diwanji, Chief Operating Officer of the project.
In a predominantly Muslim area, the demand to be situated close to the mosque, or in full view of it, is common. Sayyed Zaki, a resident of Mazhar Tyrewala building in Bhendi Bazaar, says, “When the project was first announced, we all wanted redevelopment. But how can we move without knowing where we will come back to? This ambiguity has really turned us against it. We want it to be done fairly, and we want it in writing.”
“We can assure they will return to the same cluster. If it were two or three buildings, we would have immediately told people where they are going but it’s not possible to give everyone exactly what they want. The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation is yet to grant formal approval for the detailed plans. The day they do, we will give them the information,” says Diwanji.
BMC corporator Yakub Memon of the Samajwadi Party suggests the Trust can sign an MoU with tenants. “Many residents have signed a consent form but are yet to receive papers and agreements. I have asked the Trust to consider entering into an MoU,” says Memon.
Shopkeepers have their own grievances. They say while the cluster development policy of the government insists on a minimum provision of a 300-square-foot house for a resident, there are no such rules for commercial establishments. While shopkeepers will be given money to rent out shops till they are rebuilt in Bhendi Bazaar, they say it’s a hassle to scout around for shops to rent.
Mohsin Ghulam Hassan, 75, a Bohra timbre trader, who operates from Rahudat Tahera Street, says, “I am old and I run my business alone. How can I set up a business elsewhere for three years till the construction gets over here?” he asks.
Initially, the trust planned a large mall to house small businesses but it has now junked the mall model in its bid to retain the existing character of street shops.
Nervous neighbourhood
An undercurrent of tension is palpable in the neighbourhood. Stakeholders from other communities worry that the Trust would cater exclusively to the Bohras. “They are saving these prime areas for the rich people and their own community people,” alleges Raffique Shaikh, a local MNS politician who has been rallying the opposition together under the umbrella of The Bhendi Bazaar Project-Affected Peoples’ Group. Rumours that modifications will be made to the dargahs, mosques and other religious structures have further alienated these people.
In March 2012, SBUT was made responsible for overseeing the repairs of old buildings within the cluster. The Trust said while it has its own repair department, some dilapidated buildings require immediate reconstruction. Some, however, allege that this is merely a ploy to gain consent for redevelopment. “Our roof was leaking in the monsoons and we asked them to repair it. But they first wanted our consent for the project,” alleges Monniruddhin G Maktbe, a resident of Pakhmodia Street.
Recently, a city tabloid claimed the project had ground to a halt, and five tenants backed out immediately. “We had the full approval of the tenants and owners of the cluster but a few may retract for profit. We’ve had unreasonable demands made to us which we simply cannot fulfill. This is unfair to those who have already given their consent for the project,” says Master.
Though the trust says it has had several meetings with residents and vendors, there is still nervousness in the air. Barely five per cent of tenants housed at the SBUT transit camps belong to other communities. “We are definitely lacking on the communication front. But we have only been working on this for six months,” says Diwanji.
Meanwhile, away from the buzz at Bhendi Bazaar, the transit camps at Anjirwadi, Mazgaon, Ghodapdeo and Byculla where some of the residents of Bhendi Bazaar have been accommodated, are a picture of peace. While the Anjirwadi plot was bought and developed by the Trust itself, MHADA provided four of 26 rehabilitation buildings to SBUT. Barely 15 minutes from Bhendi Bazaar, the Anjirwadi transit camp houses two 23-storeyed buildings with 446 flats. The camp has water and sewerage treatment plants and rainwater harvesting. Every tenant is provided with a steel cupboard, a carpet and a washing machine.
Bicycles are strewn on the grass and birds chirp in the distance—the scenes residents of Bhendi Bazaar have never experienced before. “Earlier, there was much ambiguity about the project. But now that we have moved here, we can see that the project is progressing and we would like it to complete in time,” says Nisreen Tashrifwala, a resident at Anjirwadi. Sanmeena Chhil, a resident at the Byculla camp, says, “In our earlier flat at Bhendi Bazaar, dirty water would seep from a broken sewerage pipe. Now we have our own bathroom instead of common bathrooms and we have water 24x7.”
“Now children play outside till midnight. They don’t want to come home. Earlier, they had no place to play. We didn’t even buy bicycles for them but now we know it is safe,” says Rashida Kutterwadi. “I don’t want to return to my old flat. I just want the Trust to make our new buildings even more beautiful than these,” she says.
Model for the future?
There are more than 19,000 cessed buildings in Mumbai, many of which are on the brink of collapse. In the last six months, three persons have been killed in two building collapses in Mumbai. In 2009, the state announced a policy that made way for cluster redevelopment of cessed buildings.
“The policy makes the developer responsible for not merely the construction of a single building but a whole area that has been identified as a cluster. So the builder must make sure that there are proper civic amenities, open spaces, and social institutions,” says Thombare. Part of the land can be used to develop buildings where flats can be sold in the open market to recover costs.
Under this scheme, 48 proposals have so far been submitted, but only five approved. In 2011, the 30-acre Chira Bazaar redevelopment project, undertaken by Unity Developers in association with an NGO, Remaking of Mumbai Federation (Lok Group), fell through because of problems in acquisition of consent. That has left Bhendi Bazaar as the single-largest urban renewal project to be undertaken in India till date.
Newlook
The 16.5-acre Bhendi Bazaar project has been divided into eight clusters with buildings ranging from seven to 40 storeys. An underground car park that can accommodate 4,000 cars has also been planned.
Rs 3,000 crore is what the project will cost. It will be complete by 2023.
80 per cent of the redeveloped land will be for rehabilitating old tenants, 20 per cent will be developed for sale in the open market to recover costs.
Mandviwala Qutub & Associates are the architects. New York-based urban design firm Perkins Eastman International and Delhi-based green consultants Spectral are also being consulted.
With its makeover, Bhendi Bazaar will get water and sewerage treatment plants, rainwater harvesting and better garbage disposal, and a three-storey open-air market where the rooftop will house kebab shops.

Bori85

Rumour about SBUT (Bhindi Bazaar) project

Unread post by Bori85 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Recently heard an interesting "rumour" (or may be it's true) about SBUT (bhindi bazaar upliftment ) project. The tenants of the demolished building and the old bldgs yet to be demolished are currently promised a flat in the new bldgs to be made, but the rumours are going that non on this people who were residing in Bhindi Bazaar will get any flat in the new projects, they are presently shifted to Anjeerwaadi , Cotton Green areas of Mazgoan , they have been given flats in the bldgs constructed by Zaadaa's , these flats are bigger than what they were having in Bhindi Bazaar. It seems that there is no plan to bring them back to Bhidi Bazaar. This project will take more thatn 5-6 yrs to be completed , i.e. if it ever gets started. I wonder whether the Zaada's really have this plan . Can anyone from Bhindi Bazaar area throw light on this project and the rumours going on around it.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Bro Bori85,

I have already stated earlier that the bohras who have vacated their premises in bhendi bazaar and gone to transit accomodations will NEVER come back to bhendi bazaar, the buildings constructed at anjirwadi for temporary accomodation have a shelf life of maximum 8/10 years hence, God forbid the ones residing there will also meet their end in anjirwadi itself.

The zaadas had initially promised to complete the project in 3 years i.e. by 2012 and as per their own submission in the newspaper article posted by S.Insaf they have now extended it to 2023. How many more such extensions will take place is anyones guess. There are also too many legal hassles by way of multiple court cases filed by the aggrieved tenants and most of the landlords have not been paid the full amount for their buildings as the same is being delibarately refused on vague and filmsy grounds.

Bohra spring

Unread post by Bohra spring » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:33 pm

There is a management rule

At least double the budget and timeline initially planned for realistic forecasts

KhalifatulRahman

Unread post by KhalifatulRahman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 am

this so called royal guys are just too funnyyy :lol:

KhalifatulRahman

Unread post by KhalifatulRahman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 am

I am not sure if any of them can really understand account statements or architectural details of the project....

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 am

Bhendi Bazaar redevelopment COO, Abizer Diwanji resigns
INDIAN EXPRESS Alison Saldanha : Sat Jan 12 2013,

Abizer Diwanji, COO of Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust executing the 16.5-acre Bhendi Bazaar redevelopment project, has resigned.
Diwanji, whose one-year contract was to end with the financial year, sought early exit to join a consulting firm.
“I had a one-year contract with the company that was anyway ending on March 31. I’ve completed the task for which I was appointed. About 20-30 acquisitions are still to be completed, for which I have offered to assist the trust,” he said.
Prior to submitting his resignation, Diwanji sought permission of trust chairman Qaid Joher Bhaisaheb Ezzuddin Shahzada, son of Syedna Burhanuddin, high priest of the Dawoodi Bohra community.
“Abizer was to leave us in a few months. It’s just that a better opportunity has come his way earlier. Nothing came as a surprise. Chairman of the trust granted him permission,” said Abbas Master, CEO of the project.
Bhendi Bazaar, a 200-century-old crowded market neighbourhood, is set to transform into a locality of skyscrapers and open spaces under the cluster redevelopment scheme.
A major hurdle in progress of this Rs 3,000-crore urban renewal scheme is acquisition and consent of tenants of the 250 buildings that make the bazaar.
Diwanji played a key role in the acquisition.

While Dawoodi Bohra Muslims constitute 80 per cent of the tenants to be rehabilitated, other tenants belong to Shia, Sunni and Hindu communities.
“Consent of 20-30 tenants is still to be acquired.
I will handhold the project in these acquisitions if my assistance is required,” said Diwanji.
The redevelopment project has been divided into eight clusters and demolitions in cluster 3 have begun.
Tenants there have moved to transit accommodations set up by the trust at Anjirwadi, Mazgaon; and Ghodapdeo, Byculla.

KhalifatulRahman

Unread post by KhalifatulRahman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:51 am

^ how can he resign? if he is bohra, isnt it important for him to serve his master then seeking for better opportunities? what else can be better then serving so called ilahul ard? :roll: nauzoBillah....

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:07 pm

Four bldgs are up for demolition out of the 250 odd bldgs and out of which only Mohamedi/Tayabi Manzil has been successfully demolished as the same is owned by kothar. It is learnt that even these 4 bldgs are being demolished as the same are on MHADA's danger list as they are in very dilapitated conditions and dangerous to live in and for which notices were served on the tenants long back. This means that kothar has not been able to demolish any bldgs as yet on their own accord although they claim to have purchased most of them and allegedly have the consent of 70% of tenants. This itself raises a very big question mark on the progress of the SBUT project !!

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:11 pm

the title of this thread is "dream project of bhendi bazaar".

i suspect that either this will remain only a dream, turn into a horrible nightmare or culminate in a nightfall for quid johnny.

Bohra spring

Unread post by Bohra spring » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 am

Al Zulfiqar wrote:the title of this thread is "dream project of bhendi bazaar".

i suspect that either this will remain only a dream, turn into a horrible nightmare or culminate in a nightfall for quid johnny.
When mansoos states sapnoo ayu ....... He meant this project

But wait let us learn from his experience .....a mojiza will happen soon

Bori85

Unread post by Bori85 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:09 pm

ghulam muhammed wrote:Bro Bori85,

I have already stated earlier that the bohras who have vacated their premises in bhendi bazaar and gone to transit accomodations will NEVER come back to bhendi bazaar, the buildings constructed at anjirwadi for temporary accomodation have a shelf life of maximum 8/10 years hence, God forbid the ones residing there will also meet their end in anjirwadi itself.

The zaadas had initially promised to complete the project in 3 years i.e. by 2012 and as per their own submission in the newspaper article posted by S.Insaf they have now extended it to 2023. How many more such extensions will take place is anyones guess. There are also too many legal hassles by way of multiple court cases filed by the aggrieved tenants and most of the landlords have not been paid the full amount for their buildings as the same is being delibarately refused on vague and filmsy grounds.
I have already stated earlier that the bohras who have vacated their premises in bhendi bazaar and gone to transit accomodations will NEVER come back to bhendi bazaar,
Mr.S Insaf, I had heard this rumour from some , but how can you be so sure that the people who have vacated will "Never" come back to Bhindi Bazaar. I have relatives residing in Bhindi Bazaar who have signed the contracts with SBUT, and they are promised flats in the new development. They have got signed contract documents, stating that they will get flats in one of the tower built in this project, though they have no idea which building and what location. Anyways, I am just wondering, if the Zaada's will not give flats to the current residents who have moved out, what legal action they (residents) can take in future based on this signed contracts?

Bori85

Unread post by Bori85 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Bori85 wrote:
ghulam muhammed wrote:Bro Bori85,

I have already stated earlier that the bohras who have vacated their premises in bhendi bazaar and gone to transit accomodations will NEVER come back to bhendi bazaar,
Mr.S Insaf, I had heard this rumour from some , but how can you be so sure that the people who have vacated will "Never" come back to Bhindi Bazaar. I have relatives residing in Bhindi Bazaar who have signed the contracts with SBUT, and they are promised flats in the new development. They have got signed contract documents, stating that they will get flats in one of the tower built in this project, though they have no idea which building and what location. Anyways, I am just wondering, if the Zaada's will not give flats to the current residents who have moved out, what legal action they (residents) can take in future based on this signed contracts?
Sorry my question was addressed to Mr.Gulam Mohammed and not Mr.S.Insaf

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Bori85 wrote:[Anyways, I am just wondering, if the Zaada's will not give flats to the current residents who have moved out, what legal action they (residents) can take in future based on this signed contracts?
bori85,

the residents you refer to are all bohras. do you think any bohra has the guts to take legal action against any zaada? either he will be unceremoniously kicked out of the community or he will be forced to apologise, re-take a misaq, undergo a second khatna and cough up a hefty sum as penitence.
Last edited by Al Zulfiqar on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Bro Bori85,

Please go through my earlier posts in which I have answered all your questions that you have raised now.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:07 am

Ro raha tha beth kar ek Bohra footpath par

Kothar walo ne hi mujh ko dhoka de diya

Samne building khadi hai jo nai no9 manzila

Mere paise se bana kar nam apna likh diya

with apology to Poet Ismail Zareef
A----- V--------

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:36 pm

Bhendi Bazaar will not become gated community, trust us, says SBUT
INDIAN EXPRESS dated Jan 25 2013

Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust (SBUT) allayed fears of a section of Muslims Thursday that Bhendi Bazaar could become a gated community after redevelopment. It said the project was to benefit all communities, including non-Bohra Muslims and Hindus.
The Rs 3,500-crore scheme will move 3,500 families to 350-square-foot apartments from congested dwellings and create better equipped spaces for 1,200 businesses. It will also free up one-sixth of the 16.5-acre Bhendi Bazaar for recreational areas.
A majority of Bhendi Bazaar residents belong to the Dawoodi Bohra Muslim community and non-Bohra groups, who fear being sidelined, have been opposing the project.
"There are groups that have created a controversy citing the project will sideline non-Bohra Muslims and other communities. We want to assure all families involved their interest is utmost priority for the trust," said Abbas Master, SBUT CEO.
"This is not a gated community project. Religious and other interests of all communities will be given importance," he said.
"For example, we will ensure the area near the mosque where Sunnis pray will be beautified," said a member of SBUT.
The project had received over 77 per cent consent, he said.
Nearly 70 per cent of Bhendi Bazaar residents are Bohri Muslims. "Many residents fear they will be thrown out or their places of worship removed. Such issues are hurdles in obtaining full consent," said the SBUT member.
SBUT had decided to bring all stakeholders on one platform to resolve the matter, said Master.
After a delay of nearly three years, during which SBUT struggled to get clearances from BMC, MHADA and other state agencies and faced stiff resistance from residents not willing to move to a transit camp, the first phase of the redevelopment began last year with the demolition of two buildings.
The project seeks to redevelop nine clusters.

Cluster redevelopment in Bhendi Bazar awaits last green nod
TIMES OF INDIA by Clara Lewis, TNN Jan 7, 2013,

MUMBAI: The city's largest project of cluster redevelopment of old and dilapidated buildings in south Mumbai is only one step from receiving the final environmental clearance before work can start on it.

Last week, the Bohra community's Rs 1,500-crore redevelopment project, spread over 14 acres in Bhendi Bazar, was granted green clearance by the State Environment Appraisal Committee-2 (SEAC-2); the panel has been set up to specifically scrutinize and clear proposals for work in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. Now, the project, which is being executed by the Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust (SBUT), will approach the State Environment Impact Assessment Authority for the final green nod.

Bhendi Bazaar, popularly known as Bohri Mohalla, will also see high-street shopping complexes come up on the lines of shopping lanes in Bandra Linking Road and Colaba. These will replace existing restaurants, offices of travel agents and sweet, tailoring and electronic shops.

Bori85

Unread post by Bori85 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Cluster redevelopment in Bhendi Bazar awaits last green nod
TIMES OF INDIA by Clara Lewis, TNN Jan 7, 2013,

MUMBAI: The city's largest project of cluster redevelopment of old and dilapidated buildings in south Mumbai is only one step from receiving the final environmental clearance before work can start on it.

Last week, the Bohra community's Rs 1,500-crore redevelopment project, spread over 14 acres in Bhendi Bazar, was granted green clearance by the State Environment Appraisal Committee-2 (SEAC-2); the panel has been set up to specifically scrutinize and clear proposals for work in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. Now, the project, which is being executed by the Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust (SBUT), will approach the State Environment Impact Assessment Authority for the final green nod.

Bhendi Bazaar, popularly known as Bohri Mohalla, will also see high-street shopping complexes come up on the lines of shopping lanes in Bandra Linking Road and Colaba. These will replace existing restaurants, offices of travel agents and sweet, tailoring and electronic shops.[/quote]

I wonder how much money was given as bribe to this SEAC panel to approve this project and submit it to State Environment Impact Assessment Authority for the final green nod, and how much more money (earned by Ziyafats) will be spent to get that that green nod.

Just came across this article from Mumbai Mirror- A reprt by Geeta Desai of Mumbai Mirror.

Real Story is this.......... check the report of Geeta Desai of mumbaimirror which is Posted On Sunday, July 24, 2011 at 04:26:11 AM
The story of one building which fall under devlopment area.
Collateral damage of Bhendi Bazaar revamp

Eight years after it went for redevelopment, almost completed 17-storeyed Burhani Heights faces demolition again. Struggling to save the building, its occupants have moved in and are living without electricity, lifts and even doors.

The 44 tenants of Burhani Heights, who waited for eight years, owing to a number of controversies and delays, for the building to be completed, were forced to move into their incomplete dream homes six months ago after the builder left the project midway. No occupation certificate, unfinished construction, no lifts, no electricity, no doors, and not even a functional drainage system. The dream was already turning sour.
Soon, it became their worst nightmare when they were told that the building has been bought by Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust (SBUT) and needed to be demolished again, to make way for a road under the much-anticipated Rs 2,000-crore Bhendi Bazaar cluster redevelopment project, which was approved by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan earlier this month. For the past few weeks, those harrowed families have been running from pillar to post to save their homes. Several letters, documents, and representations have been made to MHADA authoritiesCurrently, Burhani Heights stands on the main road, opposite JJ Hospital and adjacent to Maulana Shaukat Ali Road. “They are saying that according to redevelopment plan, our building will make way for a road, but we know that towers for higher-income groups are planned in this area, while we will be pushed inside.SBUT members confirmed that they now owned the building and that the trust was planning to bring it under the cluster development project.
Is this the fact of Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust (SBUT)and his pepole, to remove poor pepole. and take thier homes to build the dear project of Aqua Moula

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:25 am

S. Insaf wrote:the Bohra community's Rs 1,500-crore redevelopment project,
S. Insaf wrote:The Rs 3,500-crore scheme
The figure changes almost 3 folds in a span of just 2 weeks !! Although the actual figure is much higher but it seems that kothar fumbles every time it opens its mouth.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 am

It is reported that the pesh imam of the sunni mosque situated near Noorani restaurent had made a public announcement on the mike urging the project effected sunnis to attend a meeting on 27th Jan to oppose the project as according to him it is a ploy by kothar to remove all the sunnis from bohri mohalla by money and muscle power. Iam not aware of the final outcome of the said meeting and members from the area can shed some light on it.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:20 pm

i think by now everyone knows the real reasons why this whole bhendi bazaar project has been taken up.

1. the first and foremost reason is to highlight and glorify the tomb of taher saifuddin. they want to clear up everything around it so that (according to their game plan) it stands alone surrounded by grand and modern skyscrapers and can be viewed from the main roads around it. they envisage it becoming a place of compulsory tourist interest and a must on mumbai's visitor circuit. this concept seems to copy somewhat the bahai monument in delhi which is an awesome building and a symbol of peace and universal brotherhood.
2. killing another bird with the same stone is the opportunity to launder the thousands of crores that the mafia make yearly in salaams, usually black money in cash or kind. what better way than this project, which is but a smokescreen for their nefarious aims.
3. simultaneously they can also make grandiose claims of upliftment of the area and the abdes who will be allotted clean, spacious and modern flats, living in a well-designed, orderly and hygienic planned neighbourhood etc etc blah blah and blah..
4. while all these reasons are apparent, we cannot forget that the wily baniyas will rake in profits in hundreds of crores. not only that, they will control the choicest bits of the properties, the best flats and commercial spaces and reserve the roomiest and breeziest apartments for themselves.

i have always maintained from day one that this whole project is fishy. it does not pass the smell test. the rascals of saifee mahal will pull off such a scam that the abdes and the entire world will watch in disbelief. take my word for it.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:56 pm

S. Insaf wrote:The Rs 3,500-crore scheme will move 3,500 families to 350-square-foot apartments from congested dwellings
The statement sounds like a rhyme..... 3,500.... 350.... Inbetween lines it says that a 350 sq ft flat will be valued at Rs.One crore !

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 am

From the very beginning when this project was announced, I did not believe any intention of philanthropy by Kothari Inc. Morever I heard feedbacks from very abdes who are affected or aware of this project. How Kothari Inc has been using every sort of convincing and manipulation technique by coercion or flatter or plain brainwashing.

So called Well planned Kothari inc has not yet promised allotment of flats as per exact locations, its not very difficult or impossible task. There are dozens of Townships coming up in Maharashtra by private builders, a construction project so grand and humongous, an entire city level infrastructure planned and executed with few glitches but manageable. Townships like Magarpatta, Amanora, Nanded, Lavasa etc.

Allotment of flats shall not be difficult for Ghaib-na-jannar maulas. But ofcourse do they want to ??

As AZ nicely explained the objectives of Kothari Inc is upliftment of their own. Another point I would like to add is, Its an employment venture for so called “bhanela” shehzadaas, Bottom Lickers, Side kicks, and freeloaders on community money who shield the entire corrupt network of black money laundering.

JC

Unread post by JC » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 pm

COMING UP .......... in Karachi .......

Dream Project of Bohri Bazar ............. near Taheri Masjid in Saddar ......... IF IF they can convince (and ofcourse PAY Zardari) that 52nd should be buried in Karachi ............. there is no Dai buried in Karachi ... alas ... :cry:

Bohra spring

Unread post by Bohra spring » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:38 pm

The bazaar was truly a bazaar and the dream is better than a wet dream ...
Zadas con landowners to transfer land rights to them in exchange of a flat in a multi storey tower

Zadas sell the rest of the flats at a profit

Abdes pay and subsidise a free flat for the zada who has to pay nothing so a small zada is property owner in a prime location

Abde blinded by new flat becomes now completely chained as though he stays in the flat he can not sell it to a nonbohra and needs raza if he ever wants to move

Abde goons get access to construction contracts and profit

From the profits more ziafats start flowing because the abde who was a hardware small dukanwalla just a few months ago sees the barakat as he becomes a bigger tycoon....they now have access to karzan

Zadas who now become landowners can use the bazaar as security for more projects...so the dream continues

Oh if they run into funds trouble Overseas abdes will start contributing so don't worry about fixing the crore budgets...these will keep rising

Yes from outside it looks like wow no more slums...but as in any property development the developer does it for profit first ...if they did not do it someone else would , they were sitting on a gold mine...the Zada who came up with the idea must be thinking brilliant idea. Mojiza of STS

Another developer could have the idea but would not be able to convince abde to move or negotiate, bohris are only gullible if you say Maula's Farman che no need to negotiate with majority...just a few difficult one and sooner or later they will also give in. Zada construction empire starts...wait other moalla and colonies will be in their sights.

The original tenant yes got a nice 350 size flat , he thinks cheap....but it is like a thirsty man thinks a coke bottle is cheap and good product ....but a giant corporation is enriching in Atlanta.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:46 am

Is the Bhendi Bazaar redevelopment project a good model for other clusters in the city
TIME OUT Mumbai Magazine
By Nergish Sunavala on February 01 2013

A little after 2pm on a Sunday, two weeks ago, residents and shopkeepers from Bohri Mohalla in Bhendi Bazaar trickled into Supariwala Hall on Duncan Road. Floral decorations from the wedding held there the night before were hurriedly shrouded in plain white sheets, to agree with the gravity of the situation: 200-odd, largely Shia and Sunni Muslim stakeholders were meeting to discuss their concerns about the Bhendi Bazaar redevelopment plan, spearheaded by the spiritual head of the area’s majority Dawoodi Bohra community (a Shia sect). As local politicians like Abu Azmi, state president of Maharashtra Samajwadi Party, and non-Bohri residents railed against the plan, the white plastic chairs and red velvet couches slowly filled up and by 3pm, the room was packed. Speaker after speaker shared their fears of displacement and anger at the proposal’s top-down approach.

This was the first public airing of grievances – and show of strength – by the Bhendi Bazaar Redevelopment Tenants Association (BBRTA), but despite the charged, giddy atmosphere of the room, the group remains a minority. Over 70 per cent of the area’s residents firmly support the plan undertaken by the Dawoodi Bohra charitable institution, the Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust (SBUT).

In about 10 years’ time, high-rises ranging from 11 to 62 storeys will dominate what was until recently, a dense cluster of 280 low-rise rabbit warrens in a 16.5-acre plot, book ended by the JJ flyover and Mutton Street. One of the reasons that the Rs. 2,945-crore plan is being scrutinized with a fine-tooth comb is the implications it bears for the rest of the city: if it proves to be a success, it will become the model for other cluster redevelopment projects.

Beneath the souped-up residential units, the SBUT also plans to have a commercial arcade-like set-up across three levels – a far cry from the roadside stalls and ground-level shops that currently spill out onto the street. Roads and landmarks will vanish and the area’s 200-year-old market will be irrevocably altered. The Jumma Bazaar, when hundreds of hawkers take over the bazaar’s narrow alleys, might be another casualty. “I have created 16.5-acres of a nice high-end shopping area,” said the plan’s architect Qutub Mandviwala, “that is going to lend a lot of flavour to this place.”

But cluster redevelopment has left a bad taste in the mouth of several architects and urban planners. According to clause 33(9) of the state’s development control regulations, builders are encouraged to redevelop groups of old buildings and revamp an area’s infrastructure – in exchange for building extra floors that they can put on the market. A plan of this nature requires consent from at least 70 per cent of the area’s residents, which is the SBUT’s trump card.

As any such cumbersome plan must, the project has stirred resentment, especially among the area’s minorities, who, according to the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (Mhada), make up 40 per cent of the neighbourhood. Some feel marginalized by the trust’s monocultural vision of a neighbourhood built around sacred Bohra landmarks – the Raudat Tahera tomb is envisioned as Bhendi Bazaar’s pole star – while others worry that their rights will be trampled upon. Commercial property owners, meanwhile, are vociferously against changing the character of a bustling vintage market that has acquired a reputation over centuries. In 1803, when a fire gutted the Bazaar Gate precinct in the old Fort area, Indian traders moved to Bhendi Bazaar. For the last 200 years, residential and commercial establishments have stood cheek-by-jowl in this dense cluster devoid of pavements, green spaces and many basic amenities that the rest of the city takes for granted. The SBUT rightly claims that the area’s run-down buildings – 75 per cent of which have been classified as dilapidated by MHADA – garbage-strewn streets and crumbling infrastructure are desperately in need of an overhaul. But the radical nature of the transformation has opened it up to debate.

In 2011, a “high power committee”, chaired by then municipal commissioner Subodh Kumar, approved the plan. According to the additional municipal commissioner Aseem Gupta, the proposal is still awaiting an IOD CC (intimation of disapproval and commencement certificates) from the municipal authorities, permissions that are required before construction can start. Demolitions, however, began in September last year and till date, 500 families have been moved into the SBUT’s transit camps in Anjirwadi and Ghodapdeo. According to Pralhad Mahishi, residential executive officer of Mhada’s Mumbai Building Repair and Reconstruction Board (MBRRB), only dilapidated buildings have been brought down. But the demolitions have clearly alarmed the BBRTA, who demand that no more buildings be razed until the permissions are obtained.

As days go by, the area is getting polarised around communal and sectarian lines. The trust’s logo – an image of the Raudat Tahera surrounded by skyscrapers – leaves no one in any doubt of the trust’s priorities. A large plaza encompassing both the Raudat Tahera and the Saifee Masjid, is planned at the southern end of the rectangular plot, which has clearly not gone down well with spiritual leaders from other sects. “Why should everyone else pay the price for showcasing the Raudat Tahera?” asked Maulana Aijaz Ahmed Kashmiri, imam of the Sunni mosque Handiwala Masjid, on Saifee Jubilee Street. He explained that closing off the southern end of Saifee Jubilee Street to accommodate the plaza, will pose problems for his congregation, which offers namaz in the open. Kashmiri also alleged that the trust had included the mosque within the cluster’s perimeter without consulting him or the Cutchi Memon Trust that administers the masjid – a charge confirmed by the aforementioned trust.

At the time of going to press, the SBUT had not responded to our question about this particular case. However in an earlier interview, its chief executive officer, Abbas Master, did explain how the required 70 per cent consent from residents and shopkeepers was obtained: “Tenant management consultants went door to door, explaining things. For each signed consent… all the things were [video] recorded.” The SBUT has also set up an information centre in the area to clarify any doubts that the residents may have. In addition, the trust has bought over 80 per cent of the 280 buildings in the area to make the redevelopment process seamless.

For shopkeepers wary of moving to the first or second floor of the arcade, the SBUT plans to offer additional area as an incentive. Master also explained that every effort was being made to reduce the time shop-owners would have to be away from the bazaar. “We are demolishing [the buildings] in such a way that they can continue to do business,” he said.

But these have not addressed the BBRTA’s concerns adequately: the dissenters plan to present the SBUT with a list of 30-odd demands that includes the issuance of redevelopment agreements, rehabilitation of residents and shopkeepers to their old locations and an increase in the minimum area of each residence from 350 sq ft to 450 sq ft. It seems unlikely that all these demands will be met. For one, the trust has already given residents 50 sq ft more than the minimum government requirement. According to the association’s general secretary Mozzam Qureshi, the group is going to use every manner of protest including filing RTIs, seeking legal recourse and finally, even staging a Satyagraha.

Not everyone is opposed to the SBUT, however. The residents of Bagban Mahal, for instance, are desperate for a bailout. MBRRB refuses to repair their dilapidated 95-year-old chawl, since it falls in the cluster redevelopment zone, while the landlord refuses to sell the property to the SBUT (or repair it himself). The residents are so frustrated that two people we interviewed joked about hiring a hit man to get rid of the landlord.

Their disappointment is understandable. At the SBUT’s two transit camps in Anjirwadi and Ghodapdeo, residents are full of praise for the trust’s remarkable efficiency and the Syedna’s largesse – packers, storage facilities, utilities, electrical fittings and even a washing machine is provided free of cost in the 250-sq-ft transit accommodation. But even for them, fundamental questions remain unanswered. “They haven’t told us which plot, which building, how many floors or which floor we will be rehabilitated to,” said 70-year-old Fizza Dohadwala, who recently moved to the Ghodapdeo transit camp with her family.

In order to recover the cost of the project, the four tallest buildings on the northern end of the plot, will be sold on the open market. “80 per cent of the land [goes] back to the existing tenants and only 20 per cent on the north side has been kept for the sale,” said Mandviwala. The trust will also take care of all maintenance costs for the first 10 years after the redevelopment.

To ensure that residents aren’t slammed with sky-high electrical bills in the future, the SBUT has kept the project as green and sustainable as possible. For instance, all buildings are insulated so that less power is required to air-condition the bedrooms, there are water recycling plants and the structural design ensures that no room requires artificial lighting during the day. “The city will benefit from our minimal use of their infrastructure,” said the project’s green consultant, Prem Jain, founder of Spectral Services. “We will release more infrastructure for the city by creating our own areas for parking, water and sewage [treatment],” he added. Taking all these factors into consideration, the State Level Expert Appraisal Committee-2 (SEAC-2), passed the Bhendi Bazaar proposal on January 3, 2013. It will now go before the State Level Environmental Impact Assessment Authority for the final green nod.

All the different government agencies that Time Out got in touch with – Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, Mhada and even the SEAC-2 – wholeheartedly endorsed the proposal. “It will improve – in fact it will transform – the environment of the area,” said the chairman of the SEAC-2, Ravi Budhiraja. However, Pankaj Joshi, director of the Urban Design Research Institute felt a public-private initiative involving the area’s residents might have achieved a more inclusive vision for the neighbourhood. “We’ve seen that every such large scheme has virtually deprived the original residents of their basic services,” said Joshi, citing examples of redevelopment projects in Mazgaon, Parel and Sewri.

But if the SBUT manages to mollify the area’s minorities, and replicate the amenities in its transit camps, it just might prove to be the exception to the rule. In which case, the city might be forced to bid farewell to the old world charms of other beloved inner-city neighbourhood. Bhuleshwar and Kalbadevi, you may be next.

KhalifatulRahman

Unread post by KhalifatulRahman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:41 am

I support this project, people of bhindi bazaar deserves better life, but I just wish zadaaz dont potrait it, like they have done some miracle and it was coz of some raza stuff..
bhai mufaddal and bhai qaid joher, we educated people knows ur intentions (which is to make money and fame) so please dont feed us some garbage of royalty in future....

so lets keep this project as a business venture and keep religion out of it..

thankyou....