Education of Burhanuddin Saheb

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
mhp

Education of Burhanuddin Saheb

Unread post by mhp » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:56 pm

Can any one tell me, how much education did Burhanuddin Saheb got? Apart from his written speeches, I never saw him to speak Arabic or English or even Hindi or Urdu without written document. After watching him so many years it is amazing that he is still unable to speech without written papers, whether it is Ashura or Eid or Lailatul Qadr or any occasion, he comes up with his papers.

jayanti

Re: Education of Burhanuddin Saheb

Unread post by jayanti » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:13 pm

mhp wrote:Can any one tell me, how much education did Burhanuddin Saheb got? Apart from his written speeches, I never saw him to speak Arabic or English or even Hindi or Urdu without written document. After watching him so many years it is amazing that he is still unable to speech without written papers, whether it is Ashura or Eid or Lailatul Qadr or any occasion, he comes up with his papers.

mp3 player.hope you know to read n write.why you care???

broadminded

Unread post by broadminded » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Ofcourse it is important..if a leader is uneducated, it reflects upon his disciples..why does he repeat the same sentence of Imam Hussain's shahadat over and over again like a broken record. Shrewd way to mask one's illetracy by and emotional outburst and sway bohra masses away from deeni and worldly knowledge.

seeker110

Unread post by seeker110 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Jayanty and Moula has the same level of education.However its possible jaynti and moula copied from each other in the final year of education 3rd grade.So no need to hide,it shows.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:42 pm

The holy Qur’an describes the Prophet Hazrat Mohammad (pbuh) who was “ummi” (uneducated) as “Abdahu va Rasulahu” (an ordinary man and the messenger of Allah)

It was to convey that though he is an “ummi” but he is guided by Allah. The holy Prophet himself had never claimed any time that he is “Religious or Spiritual leader” of umma or that he is infallible. But since as he acted as per Allah’s will it was became a common belief that he is infallible.

But a Dai who claims to be a “Religious or Spiritual leader” should have through Religious and Spiritual knowledge as he has to lead the people. That is the reason that the 18th Imam, Mustansir Billah fixed 94 qualifications to be a true Dai. In these qualifications 12 paras are devoted to “Educational Qualifications” for a person to acquire before being fit to be Dai.

The Fatimi Imams/rulers established a Fatimi lodge in Cairo which had that time One Crore volumes of history, jurisprudence, politics, philosophy, mathematics, chemistry, medicines and biographies beside books on world religions.

In India “Saifee Daras” (Now Jamiya Saifiya – Surat) was established by our 43rd Dai Sayedna Abde Ali Saifuddin Saheb. In this Daras the students were raised from lowest to highest degree. This was to raise their level of "Spirituality". Spirituality is made up of mind, intellect, logic, reasoning, analytical powers, skill, talent, inherited or self developed tendencies from past lives, self learnt and practiced habits by good association, education society norms and cultures from this life.
Following degrees were conferred depending on the education acquired:-
1) Mullas: They were fit to perform religious rites like prayers, nikah wtc.
2) Shaikh: They were prominent scholars distinguished in their piety, honesty and devotion.
3) Maazun and 4) Mukasir were selected from these scholars and then Mazun was raised to the post of Dai.

In case of 52nd Dai Sayedna Mohammad Burhanuddin Saheb he was caught in a dilemma after the mysterious death by poisoning of his mother and the first wife of Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb. His mother’s entire family had walked out of Badri Mahal (then resident of Sayedna Saheb) but he remained with his father and soon after having control over Sir Adamji Peerbhoy’s “Peerbhoy Palace” at Malbar Hills Bombay and naming it as Saifee Mahal he was awarded for his loyalty and declared “Mazun” and hence next Dai.
Therefore Sayedna Burhanuddin Saheb himself has said that “I was given education by my learned father at home.”

The degrees of doctorate given to him by few universities are honourary based on his donations to these universities.

During Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb’s time there were ulemas and scholars who used to write for him but Sayedna Burhanuddin Saheb has thrown them out.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:45 am

In the qualifications of a Dai a causion is attached at the end which says:-
If a Dai does not posses these qualifications and still calls himself Dai then he is Dai only without meaning. He will not benefit. It is useless to hope any Spiritual profit from such a Dai. The assumption of the name Dai for such person is a Sin and it is a sort of burden over him. There must be quality and action combined with it; otherwise the name of Dai is simply to deceive and rob the believers of their money and to live in luxuary at the expense of others.

mhp

Unread post by mhp » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:02 pm

Following degrees were conferred depending on the education acquired:-
1) Mullas: They were fit to perform religious rites like prayers, nikah wtc.
2) Shaikh: They were prominent scholars distinguished in their piety, honesty and devotion.
3) Maazun and 4) Mukasir were selected from these scholars and then Mazun was raised to the post of Dai.
Saifuddin Bhai, my question is, if Mazun and Mukasir are selected from Scholars, and Mazun rise to the post of Dai, why an ordinary bohra person cannot become a Dai,though he is a prominent scholar and fulfills all the conditions leading to the post of Mazun?
Mostly seen that these Dais made their sons or brothers as next Dais and this chain continues.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:36 pm

Saifuddin Bhai, my question is, if Mazun and Mukasir are selected from Scholars, and Mazun rise to the post of Dai, why an ordinary bohra person cannot become a Dai,though he is a prominent scholar and fulfills all the conditions leading to the post of Mazun?
Mostly seen that these Dais made their sons or brothers as next Dais and this chain continues.
According to Dawoodi Bohra Ismaili Faith, the succession of a Dai is governed by Divine right of Nass inspired by the Imam of the time or hidden imam not by heritance or democratic election.
The best and the most learned and pious member of the community irrespective of his financial standing was chosen by the Dai before his death, trained and if the choice was approved by Divine inspiration from Imam the nomination was publicly declared in an assembly of the faithful, and such nomination was known as Nasse-Jali.

Late Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb has defined “Dai” in his book “Zua Nure Haqqun Mubin” as one who invites the people to the right path of Allah by modestly preaching the virtues and philosophy of Islam, derived from 14th para of the 21st Ruku of the holy Qur’an “Ud, oo, Ila Sabile Rabbika, bil Hikmat Wal muazatul Hasana” – Call them to the path of thy Lord tactfully and by good manner.

From first Dai Sayedna Zuaib till 24th Dai Sayedna Esuf Najmuddin in a span of 441 years Dais remained in Yemen but they kept on sending their deputies from Yemen to India. A training school was kept in Yemen for training the candidates from India.
Thus even the descendants of the first Hindu coverts from Raja Sidhraj Jaisingh (Bharmal)’s family were patronised and called to Yemen and trained. One Mulla Raj was raised to the degree in Dawat and his son Sayedna Ismailji Badruddin was rose to the post of Dai. After him 34th, 35th, 36th, 37th, 38th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd and 46th Dais that is nine other members of Bharmal’s family were raised to the status of a Dai.
This clearly shows that earlier Dais never hesitated to recognise the superior qualifications of the outside ordinary Bohras against their own children.

This also dismisses the claim that the present incumbents have any linkage from the holy Prophet or the people of his house (Ahle-byat or Imam).

However after the death of 46th Dai Sayedna Badruddin Saheb, the last of the converted Royal Rajput family of Gujarat, the present dynastic rule commenced.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:01 am

I may add here that according to the writer of “Mousame Bahar (Vol. III), Mohammad Ali s/o Mulla Jiva bhai published with Raza Mubarak (holy permission) of 47th Dai Sayedna Abdul Qadir Najmuddin Saheb; On the death of 46th Dai Sayedna Badruddin Saheb a council of leading Mashaikhs (qualified learned men) of the time named as “Hilful-Fazail” was formed which was headed by Shaikh Imamuddin. Since 46th Dai had suddenly died at a young age apparently from the effect of food poisoning two days before appointment and public declaration of his successor, these Mashaikhs took the aoth of allegiance to 47th Dai Sayedna Najmuddin swearing his superiority in learning, piety and administrative ability. But for the fist time the belief in Divine character of Dawate-Hadiya of these Mashaikhs and the community had slackened as they suspected the chain of succession to Dais hereafter by Divine right had broken and Dais were there merely for Nizamat or management of the affairs of the Dawat. (“Mousame Bahar, page 519, Vol. III). Thus a controversy aroused against him and split in the form of Mahdibag-wallas took placed.

The shrewd Sayedna Najmuddin Saheb dealt this controversial situation very tactfully and ruled for 46 years. In other to create the opinion in his favour he increased the numbers of Mashaikhs without any test of their qualification, quality and character so profusely that the degree, honour and the title of Shaikh lost its original value amongst the learned. Earlier this degree of Shaikh was given to chosen few who had acquired required education, who knew Arabic and who had gone through the long training and had proved their merits. He conferred the title of Shaikh on undeserving person who happened to be rich or influential. Thus the Mushaikhs of Hilful Fazail lost their value and hence influence in the crowd of the ignorant Mashaikhs.

Sayedna Najmuddin appointed his brother Sayedna Hushamuddin as his successor and thus dictated a policy of succession in his family.

Incidentally Sayedna Najmuddin was the grandfather of 51st Dai Sayedna Taher Saifuddin who self-assumed the title of “Daiul-Mutlaq” after remaining satisfied with the name of Bada Mullaji and Sardar in the first few years of his office.

I want to make it clear here that we Dawoodi Bohra Reformists are not at all concerned with the merits of this controversy and this only for information to understand the current situation.

Anwar

Unread post by Anwar » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:14 pm

Thats too much for Br. jayanti to digest. I am sure Jayanti has objection, he has got a better modern education thru vajez, majlis and all the daris he has attended.

canadian

Unread post by canadian » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:15 pm

The present dai does not know Arabic. Sometimes back at a luncheon in Kuwait, he needed a translator to talk to Kuwaiti guests. He would talk in his Lisan-e-Dawat and a Kuwaiti bohra would translate in to Arabic and vice versa.
I think he only knows the bastardized Gujarati (mixture of Arabic and Gujarati) which he has turned in to "Lisan-e-Dawat" to bring us stupid Bohras down to his level.

Many years ago in Toronto a so-called bhaisaheb came and the way he was shooting off Quaranic ayats and translating them, we were admiring his fluency in Arabic language, until one day he had to perform a wedding ceremony between a Yemeni girl and a Gujarati Bohra boy. The girl's father knew Arabic and Kiswahili only. Our Arabic scholar bhaisaheb needed another African Bohra who knew Swahili and who then acted as translator.

mhp

Unread post by mhp » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:22 pm

Saifuddin Bhai
So taking on merit, education, Islamic knowledge,Command on Arabic language, leadership qualities, spirituality, which son or brother of Burhanuddin saheb most deserves the post of next Dai? (In my personal opinion, none of his brothers or sons have the above mentioned qualities)

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:39 pm

I know this is for Saif Bhai
but based on these I would think that Mazoon Saheb's daughter Tahera Ben who is the professor of Arabic studies at Chicago University would qualify.
Dr. Bazat Tahera baisab:
Daughter of Syedi Mazoon Saheb tus. Received Phd. in Arabic Literature with distinction from Harvard University (Cambridge, Massachusetts). Received MA and BA in Arabic Language and Literature from Ain Shams University (Cairo, Egypt). Currently professor of Arabic Literature at the University of Chicago (Chicago, Illinois). Previously taught at the University of Utah (Salt Lake City, Utah, 2000-2002), Yale University (New Haven, Connecticut, 1998-1999), and Harvard University (during Ph.d. studies, 1992-1999). Email: btq@post.harvard.edu

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:36 am

The women were there at the most imported turns of the Fatimi Dawat - Hazrat Khudeja at the turn of Nabuwat (Prophethood) - Hazrat Fatema Zehra - at the turn of Imamat and - Hurra Maleka at the turn of Fatemi Dawat. If women had played most important roles at critical times in Fatemi Dawat why not Dr. Bazat Tahera baisaba as the next Dai if she is well qualified to be one.
This is my personal opinion whatever worth it is.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:57 am

I may add here that:
From Hazrat Adam to Hazrat Mohammad there were about One lakh 42 thousand prophets and very very few are named in the three holy books. It is beleived that more than 55 thousands prophets were women. I have yet not come about any source to confirm it.

JC

Unread post by JC » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:30 pm

Dear Inasaf Bhai

I believe the total number of prophets as per Quran is 124,000 ......... please correct me if I am wrong.

And yes, not all the names are mentioned in any Holy Book, so there is a 'chance' a prophet could have been a woman - but again, as far as i know, Quran has mentioned prophets are 'Men' and the Arabic equivalents of 'his' 'him' etc have been used to describe prophets.

As for education of Burhanuddin Sahib ........... no matter what education he got or has or had .... it is all gone now.... he is an OLD MAN, like a child ........... and being used as a puppet by his shrewed sons also known as Shahzadas :lol:

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:49 am

Thanks JC - that was a typing error, 42 instead of 24. Since the few prophets talked about are all men naturally that will referred as man.

porus

Unread post by porus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:28 pm

S. Insaf wrote: It is beleived that more than 55 thousands prophets were women. I have yet not come about any source to confirm it.
That is very unlikely. Quran grants Maryam, mother of Jesus, the highest distinction among all the women. She was also the recipient of 'wahy' (ref Surah Maryam). Yet, she has not been granted the status of Nubuwwat.

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:59 pm

Br. Porus,

Welcome back. Gud to hear from you.. Hope you will contribute more often than this..

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:14 pm

Porous: welcome back we were dying to hear from you.

Porous: Please let me have a detailed answer.

Can woman, according to islamic theology (sunni or shia) become head of any organization .

porus

Unread post by porus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:27 pm

accountability wrote: Porous: Please let me have a detailed answer.

Can woman, according to islamic theology (sunni or shia) become head of any organization .
My personal opinion is this:

I would draw a distinction between the 'status' or 'role' whose assignation is the sole privilege of Allah and those assigned by humans for the leaders/heads of man-made organizations.

Nubuwwat and Imamat are amongst the former and we know of no instance of any woman having been assigned these roles. There will certainly be no Nabi after Muhammad. As for Imams, it is unlikely that we will ever see one amongst the Shia, including Bohras. Any Imam that appears in the future will be because a human assigns one. A future Imam could conceivably be a woman. But any claim that she was appointed by Allah, I would take with more that a pinch of salt. By the way, Dai is also a head of man-made organization. And contrary to the claims made by the Bohra orthodoxy, he or she would not be, and never has been, appointed by Allah.

As far as man-made organizations are concerned, I have not come across any prohibition, amongst the Shia or Sunni, which would prevent a woman from leading them.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:16 pm

welcome back bro. porus. nice to see yr scholarly posts again.

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:21 am

Welcome back br. AZ.. Would request you also to post more frequently. We need your hard hitting posts as well, along with Br. Porus's scholarly posts.