Matam in various styles

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
Right

Matam in various styles

Unread post by Right » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:21 am

Yesterday's night Majlis was relayed in all the centres, in which some persons were only reciting the mozizzas and shanat of Moula, though these days are of Aqa Hussein. Nad the funniest part was in the end when they were instructing to the people to do the matam in the following ways :

1) Zor ma matam karjo bhaiyo thodi second na lidhe a aakhri matam che
2) Dhere dhere matam karo thodi second na lidhe a aakhri matam che
3) Hawe khamoshi si dhere dhere matam karo thodi second na lidhe a aakhri matam che
4) Hawe khamoshi si zor ma matam karo.

My question to the Abde Sayedna's is , whether To do matam in different styles this is not a mockery of matam.
Matam is matam it should be done by your heart and not like in different styles. When you are questioning reformists on matam then what about this .

like_minded

Re: Matam in various styles

Unread post by like_minded » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 am

This whole matam thing is a useless ritual, I am sure we are civilized and smart enough to see it.

Safiuddin

Unread post by Safiuddin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:42 am

Yesterday's night Majlis was relayed in all the centres, in which some persons were only reciting the mozizzas and shanat of Moula, though these days are of Aqa Hussein. Nad the funniest part was in the end when they were instructing to the people to do the matam in the following ways :

1) Zor ma matam karjo bhaiyo thodi second na lidhe a aakhri matam che
2) Dhere dhere matam karo thodi second na lidhe a aakhri matam che
3) Hawe khamoshi si dhere dhere matam karo thodi second na lidhe a aakhri matam che
4) Hawe khamoshi si zor ma matam karo.

My question to the Abde Sayedna's is , whether To do matam in different styles this is not a mockery of matam.
Matam is matam it should be done by your heart and not like in different styles. When you are questioning reformists on matam then what about this
You are right (no pun intended) . . ..Of course this is a mockery of Islam, everything TUS and his family DOES is a mockery. These mataming instructions are very effectively and cleverly being used for control. The words which scare me the most are "thodi second na lidhe a aakhri maatam che". The listeners then personally associate themselves with Husain. He was a martyr. He died for me. My Moula is here and I'm doing maatam like it might be my last - and if it IS, then I'd better do it even harder. Hawe to main maara Moula na paase choon. The continual rythmic beat, the warmth in the room, the rose water to provide refreshing reflief - all of this is very cleverly orchestrated. This goes on until someone changes the beat by creating a chant that has a different beat.

Even WHEN to stop matam is carefully controlled by someone with a mike.
TUS and the TUS-Alikes know exactly why EVERY gathering now has matam in it. They try and associate TUS with Husain and Allah. .
Watch them when the majlis is in matam. They very gently do matam themselves, and stay away from everyone. TUS backs out of the fray because the FRENZY that the matam causes might sweep them into the fray.
Sometimes Burhanuddin will act like he is really overwhelmed and will strike his chest - the majlis goes out of control. And that is EXACTLY the effect they want.
I remember they never did sajda on the takhat on Ashura when I was a child. They actually have the audacity now to mimic and recreate the final sajda of Husain Imam.
Now Bohris wait breathlessly, and dream all of their lives to see - their Aqa Moula's sajda on Ashura. In their minds they associate Burahnuddin with Husain.
Today even the Kaaba was hung behind him - so that all present could see how Burhanuddin was right NEXT to God. It's VERY effective mind control.

These are VERY dangerous, shrewd, and powerful people. These people are throat-slashing liars and pretendors. They are very skilled actors.
They need to be called on the carpet.

like_minded

Unread post by like_minded » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:42 am

Very well pointed out by Saifuddin bhai!

Yes indeed! these nonsensical rituals (matam etc) is encouraged largely for mind-control.

Mind-control is the foundation of a cult!!

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:38 am

let us discuss the various styles of maatam.

1. the silent and deadly serious maatam whilst sitting with that earnest look on yr face, imagining yrself as part of the army of hussain.
2. the vocal and vociferous maatam with shouts, screams and an occasional suppressed moan
3. the fatous sobbing maatam where hands beating yr chest is no longer neccessary. this technique is usually employed when u are tired and no longer to wish to participate in the frenzy, but still appear engaged and committed.
4. the accelerated tempo maatam, when suddenly a frenzy grips the flock of sheep, as if a tiger has been let loose among the innocent lambs. when this happens all rhythm is lost and everyone goes berserk. all u hear is a disoriented beat totally out of synch. this disturbs yr sense of harmony.
5. the orchestrated maatam wherein there is a smooth, steady maatam beat led by a marasiya party. this is your classic style which is most effective and comforting and continues for a good 5-10 minutes and where u can alternate with either hand for variety or as any of them gets tired. this is usually interrupted when the saheb-e-majlis has found his next page or has taken enough of a break. he then silences the maatam and the marasiya party with a silent but imperious gesture of his hand, laden with deep wisdom, bringing you great relief.
6. the doubled over maatam. in this style one sees clever bohras double over, so bent close to the ground in apparent grief, that u can hardly see them doing maatam. this allows you to escape temporarily from the scene of mayhem.
7. the anticipatory maatam. as the final scenes approach, the preliminary shahadats now out of the way and now little baby ali asgher having been martyred, and abbas murdered in his valiant but futile attempt to fetch water from the furat, the crowd gets restless and breaks out into spontaneous maatam, as if slavering and salivating at the impending climax.
8. the unpredictable maatam. this happens when invariably an overzealous bohra suddenly in the midst of the majlis calls out "ya hussain" or some such stirring call and over-excited fellow zealots break out on cue into a desperate maatam, unable to contain themselves.
9. the 2 handed maatam. this is usually practised by those honorable and privileged fanatics in the first 2-3 rows for its show value and it also demonstrates the peer pressures under which these poor souls have to labour.
10. the half standing maatam. this style is usually brought into play when certain soul stirring marasiyas are sung and the front row honchos and a few scattered militants get up on their knees and do maatam, thereby displaying their prowess and passion for their religion.
11. the now-this-is-it maatam in the final seconds. the hysterical crowd now sensing the imminent slaughter of hussain, becomes totally alert, incl. those who were so far in a state of dazed stupor, and suddenly sit up straight, hands on their chests ready to start hammering, all their primal urges now in full display, as if readying to take on yazid's army and fight or be slaughtered themselves.
12. after the customary script is played out, with hussain in sajda and shimr doing his bit with an un-sharp knife and the last second linkage with being loyal to dai and laanat on his dushmano and showering money on tamara sydena etc, the crowd jumps up to its feet and thats when u have the best style of maatam we can display. good friends and known everyday thaal groups, comfortable in their familiarity with each other, form circles and dance around in perfect synchronicity, in total harmony on the beat and the steps, losing themselves in the hypnotic washing of their guilt and somehow convincing themselves that the more they inflict pain and cruelty upon themselves the more they will become the warriors of hussain they couldn't be. its all a great macho display of self-worth practised in the safe confines of an isolated bohra markaz, far removed from the hot sands and battle fields of kerbala, where if by a miracle these cowardly bohras were to find themselves, they would have run for their lives or surrendered immediately with yellow on their hijars.

in my observation, having attended moharram majlises of persians, pathans, other shias, bohras etc, the more jaahil the community and race, the more violent and shocking is their maatam. their styles, and their capacity to inflict harm upon themselves is directly proportional to their latent anger, their pent up rage and their macho images. its a fascinating study in human psychology.

Safiuddin

Unread post by Safiuddin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:40 pm

This really is a very interesting bit of human psychology. It all points to very skillfully orchestrated cult behavior.
AZ I agree with you- i've also seen
that the greater the propensity for jahaalat - the more extreme and violent the matam becomes. The greater the feeling of machismo, the stronger the matam.
This is nothing but a mockery of a people. If Burhanuddin ever truly was in the position of sacrificing his head - he'd convince everyone else to do it for him -
They would probably flock by the THOUSANDS to die for thier moula and Bhagwan.
This is nothing but a cruel and sick blasphemy of people who gave their lives for what they believed. If Husain Imam was here today, I daresay he would spit on Burhanuddin for using his struggle and death for his personal gain.

Poor Bohris - many of them are some of the sweetest and kindest people I have ever met. Many are highly intelligent. Yet, they still allow themselves
to be enslaved by this pretender and his leech family. Burhanuddin and his lot cleverly twist Islam, Karbala, and the after-life (of which we have yet to
meet one person who has seen it and returned with somethig tangible). Every day bohris are made to follow commands, demands, and directives.

Tommy Hopkins is a world-known sales trainer and coach. He developed techniques of questioning and communication that effectively place psychological cues in the mind
of the client. The end result result is that the sales professional is able to exert control, and gets the coveted "Yes" answer when asked the money question. Yet, Hopkins' techniques are'nt designed to create a following of bleating wildebeest. These techniques are made to help the sales professional close a transaction - but that doesn't mean
without integrity.
What Burhanuddin and his chokhras are doing is simply psychological control of people. From birth and even in death - they make sure that only "Moulaaaaaa"
is in their minds.
Integrity is something they will never have - yet how swift they are to proselytize to every one else.

mumin

Unread post by mumin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:43 pm

definitely well described by zulfiqar. should lay more stress on the orchestrated matam. this is when an elder from the ring starts orchestrating the matam rythem with his fingers. I think at this time he needs the maestro's stick.

incredible

Unread post by incredible » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:45 pm

@safiudin

your posts are total bullshiit...i donno what would Hussain Imam would do to dai but i surely spit on you and your imagination,u are not even muslim coz u dont belive in here after life.kafir like you have no rights to poke nose in muslims life and muslim festives,take your bull shiit some where else.

Al Zulfiqar

Bohra Maatam Scenario..

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:50 am

now that we have the month of moharram upon us, it is an appropriate time to discuss the practice of maatam in a typical bohra moharram majlis. the following styles have been gleaned over years of keen observation.

1. the silent and deadly serious maatam whilst sitting with that earnest look on yr face, imagining yrself as part of the army of hussain.
2. the vocal and vociferous maatam with shouts, screams and an occasional suppressed moan
3. the fatous sobbing maatam where hands beating yr chest is no longer neccessary. this technique is usually employed when u are tired and no longer to wish to participate in the frenzy, but still appear engaged and committed.
4. the accelerated tempo maatam, when suddenly a frenzy grips the flock of sheep, as if a tiger has been let loose among the innocent lambs. when this happens all rhythm is lost and everyone goes berserk. all u hear is a disoriented beat totally out of synch. this disturbs yr sense of harmony.
5. the orchestrated maatam wherein there is a smooth, steady maatam beat led by a marasiya party. this is your classic style which is most effective and comforting and continues for a good 5-10 minutes and where u can alternate with either hand for variety or as any of them gets tired. this is usually interrupted when the saheb-e-majlis has found his next page or has taken enough of a break. he then silences the maatam and the marasiya party with a silent but imperious gesture of his hand, laden with deep wisdom, bringing you great relief.
6. the doubled over maatam. in this style one sees clever bohras double over, so bent close to the ground in apparent grief, that u can hardly see them doing maatam. this allows you to escape temporarily from the scene of mayhem.
7. the anticipatory maatam. as the final scenes approach, the preliminary shahadats now out of the way and now little baby ali asgher having been martyred, and abbas murdered in his valiant but futile attempt to fetch water from the furat, the crowd gets restless and breaks out into spontaneous maatam, as if slavering and salivating at the impending climax.
8. the unpredictable maatam. this happens when invariably an overzealous bohra suddenly in the midst of the majlis calls out "ya hussain" or some such stirring call and over-excited fellow zealots break out on cue into a desperate maatam, unable to contain themselves.
9. the 2 handed maatam. this is usually practised by those honorable and privileged fanatics in the first 2-3 rows for its show value and it also demonstrates the peer pressures under which these poor souls have to labour.
10. the half standing maatam. this style is usually brought into play when certain soul stirring marasiyas are sung and the front row honchos and a few scattered militants get up on their knees and do maatam, thereby displaying their prowess and passion for their religion.
11. the now-this-is-it maatam in the final seconds. the hysterical crowd now sensing the imminent slaughter of hussain, becomes totally alert, incl. those who were so far in a state of dazed stupor, and suddenly sit up straight, hands on their chests ready to start hammering, all their primal urges now in full display, as if readying to take on yazid's army and fight or be slaughtered themselves.
12. after the customary script is played out, with hussain in sajda and shimr doing his bit with an un-sharp knife and the last second linkage with being loyal to dai and laanat on his dushmano and showering money on tamara sydena etc, the crowd jumps up to its feet and thats when u have the best style of maatam we can display. good friends and known everyday thaal groups, comfortable in their familiarity with each other, form circles and dance around in perfect synchronicity, in total harmony on the beat and the steps, losing themselves in the hypnotic washing of their guilt and somehow convincing themselves that the more they inflict pain and cruelty upon themselves the more they will become the warriors of hussain they couldn't be. its all a great macho display of self-worth practised in the safe confines of an isolated bohra markaz, far removed from the hot sands and battle fields of kerbala, where if by a miracle these cowardly bohras were to find themselves, they would have run for their lives or surrendered immediately with yellow on their hijars.

in my observation, having attended moharram majlises of persians, pathans, other shias, bohras etc, the more jaahil the community and race, the more violent and shocking is their maatam. their styles, and their capacity to inflict harm upon themselves is directly proportional to their latent anger, their pent up rage and their macho images. its a fascinating study in human psychology.

Smart

Re: Bohra Maatam Scenario..

Unread post by Smart » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:53 am

^
A very keen observation and analysis.

After the maatam, the Bohras feel a high cathartic high, a sense of bravado, and a feeling of being holier than thou.

Carrying all these feelings they are in a hurry to end their fast and you only can describe the way they descend on the labrez jaman. Please continue in your inimitable style.

like_minded

Re: Bohra Maatam Scenario..

Unread post by like_minded » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:07 am

Indeed a keen observation alz bhai!!!

Please continue as suggested by bro smart.....

like_minded

Unread post by like_minded » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:15 am

incredible wrote:@safiudin

your posts are total bullshiit...i donno what would Hussain Imam would do to dai but i surely spit on you and your imagination,u are not even muslim coz u dont belive in here after life.kafir like you have no rights to poke nose in muslims life and muslim festives,take your bull shiit some where else.
Incredible

The post by safiuddin bhai explains the hidden agenda of Kothar behind such nonsensical rituals namely matam, I guess you are too dumb to grasp it. Everytime I see bohras indulging themselves in this barbaric ritual, I feel really sorry for the great man "Hussain".. Not in his wildest dream he'd have thought that his sacrifice would become an issue for the likes of Syedna to control, enslave and loot the gullible followers. I am sure if he'd known this, he wouldn't have gone ahead with it.

Its a shame that we (so-called modern civilized people) haven't evolved a bit!! We bother too much about after-life which is obviously intangible and deliberately kept alive by the clergy to make us fearful and eventually submit ourselves to them. What we should care about is the biggest miracle which is LIFE itself!!

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:17 pm

incredible wrote:
no rights to poke nose in muslims life and muslim festives,...
is ashura a muslim 'festival"...??????

no wonder our kothar greets stupid bohras with "ashura mubarak thai"... :( is it a celebration to mark the slaughter of hussain and his family and feast on labrez jaman? are you and the bohras the followers of yazid and moawiyah?