Use of massallah in majid

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
Global

Use of massallah in majid

Unread post by Global » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:13 am

During my visit to Umra, We were told during the sabaq in Makkah that your namaz is not valid unless prayed on massallah even in Haram or Majid AlNaqwi or any other masjid. I found this remark strange because I saw most of the people (non bohri of course) pray namaz without any massallah in Haram as well as in MAsjid AL Naqwi or any other masjid. I asked this question to the sheikh saab and my question was immediately shot down... I want to know what is the reason.Is the namaz really invalid unless prayed on massallah...Comments most welcome.

incredible

Re: Use of massallah in majid

Unread post by incredible » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:18 am

according to shia and sunni fiqah namaz shud be prayed on soil or some thing made up of soil...shia prays namaz on land of karbala and sunni prays on mat...so in no ways it is haraam to pray namaz on land of mecca.

sixfeetunder

Unread post by sixfeetunder » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:28 am

Denial to answer simple questions is proof of deceit.

The Mullah is not accustomed to being questioned! Either he doesn't know the answer or he hasn't invented one!

I get a feeling that this dogma is created to further differentiate the heaven-bound Bohras from the ordinary Muslims.

Regal

Unread post by Regal » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:55 am

Salat can be observed on any paak surface. be it sand or concrete or cloth. Sometimes the masjid is so full that people use up some of the road, w/o massallah or ja namaz.

But my aunt wont let me pray on her kids massallah or a female design massallah because "namaz nai laage". How do you know if Allah will reject my prayer if i do it on a pink massalah?

mumin

Unread post by mumin » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:28 pm

regal; great insight. we ned more of your types on this board. Does the local mulla also think the same. namaz naee lagi if prayed on pink masalla? if he finds out that will be another tool for him to control the mindless

Regal

Unread post by Regal » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Appreciate it mate :wink:

dunno about that...if she got that notion from sabaks or not.

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:42 pm

If this helps ..

Salah, the chief purpose of prayer in Islam is to act as a person's communication with God. By reciting "The Opening", the first chapter of the Qur'an, as required in all prayer, the worshipper can stand before God, thank and praise Him, and to ask for guidance along the Straight Path.

In addition, the daily prayers remind Muslims to give thanks for Allah's blessings and that Islam takes precedence over all other concerns, thereby revolving their life around Allah and submitting to His will. Prayer also serves as a formal method of remembering Allah, or dhikr [1].

The authority for the basic forms of the prayers is neither the hadiths nor the Qur'an, but rather the consensus of Muslims [3]. Differences also occur due to optional (recommended rather than obligatory) articles of prayer procedure, for example which verses of the Qur'an to recite.

Muslims must be in a state of ritual purity, which is mainly achieved by ritual ablution according to prescribed procedures. The place of prayer should be clean.

So how does a type or color of a piece of cloth on the clean ground of your home or Masjid be of such a big issue in Bohras when communicating with a non-material Allah !

MuffadalMK

Unread post by MuffadalMK » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:32 am

Salam Walaikum ya Ikhwaan

The same question was asked by one hajji in Rubaat of Makkah to Loyi Bhai Shab his answer was like this:

alogo to wagar Toppi na b namaz pade 6 su apne padye 6 aalogo to wadu kara pa6i b dakhkhin (Smoking) kari ne namaz pade 6 je jayaz nathi apne masalla per per namaz taharat na sabab padye 6 kem k namaz ma ghani barik si barik nukta 6 jena upar ager apn brabar si amal na kare to namaz na lage. I think ths was nt a clear answer till that day i am still thinking of it but couldn't get any perfect reason.

berasiawala

Unread post by berasiawala » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:40 am

One Amil Saheb in a bayaan has said that the use of Masallah is not a must. However if one has then he should use it. Otherwise any good clean cloth (not made of or consist of any animal material like skin or hair) can be used, if not available then only a small towel or a hanky can be placed on which one do sajda, even if that is not available then one can just pray in a mosque without masalla by virtually marking a boundry to which a masalla should have been, he added that the masallah is only a means to know the boundries beyond which our gaze should not go at any cost during the prayer. He added that while in prayer a person is standing before Allah and he should do with full concentration, also one should wear clothes accordingly i.e if possible change the clothes and pray as you are standing before the creator.

I think this is a logical statement by the Amil, Well, the present day amils (young ones) are from the Jamia and i have observed that they are taught well both about the religion and the world. Many old amils have a problem with their behaviours as they are not used to being asked questions and try to dominate in any manner they want to enjoy clout.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:01 am

Loyi Bhai Shab
"alogo to wagar Toppi na b namaz pade 6 su apne padye 6 aalogo to wadu kara pa6i b dakhkhin (Smoking) kari ne namaz pade 6 je jayaz nathi apne masalla per per namaz taharat na sabab padye 6 kem k namaz ma ghani barik si barik nukta 6 jena upar ager apn brabar si amal na kare to namaz na lage".
Loi Bhai Shab should learn that you can make a point without pointing fingers at others. Remember when you point fingers at others remainig fingers are pointed at you.

It is OK to pray without Topi. You do hajj without head cover. In my time in India Topi was must in Masjid. We used to frown or wonder looking at pictures of President Nasser praying without Topi. You see many people praying without Topi in Masjids now due to lot of Middle Eastern expousure.

Sunnis do not tote around Musalla with them. Masjid rug is usually clean and people pray on it without hasitation.
On Fridays our masjids in Boston are jam packed and latecomers usually move shoes and pray on bare floor. It is act of sincere prayer which counts.

According to Hadith you can rinse mouth after eating and wadu still be valid. It is required to clean mouth nicely after eating smelly food. Prophet used to frown on it and used miswak all the time. Many ortho. Sunnis carry miswak in their pocket and are seen brushing in Masjid. I personally dislike it (go to bathroom).

When they line up for prayers they are always reminded to close ranks and be "shoulder to shoulder and feet to feet, If there are gaps then Shaitan feels it up". You are required to complete lines before forming next one. There is no reservation for ranks in front. A peon prays shoulder to shoulder with Sahib.

12vers use clay tablet called Mohr, believed to be made from Karbala soil. I have prayed in Shia Masjid and seen children passing out paper napkins to those who do not have Mohr. Sunnis frown on it and 12vers have explanations for it. Allah knows the best.

Wasalaam

aqs

Unread post by aqs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:28 am

as far as Masjid Al Haram is concerned its considered as paak and no separate cloth is required, but if you offer your salaat on a cloth which is paak then its afzal
its a very lengthy topic and i cant write the whole stuff, but just for FYI People have offered Salaat with Imam Hakim be Amrillah in Jame anwar on idd in mud as it was raining heavily at that time.

Global

Unread post by Global » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:15 am

Aqs,

Exactly my point. Mia /Sheikh sahab in Makka should not make such statement because people look upon them them for guidance. Now a days even the bohri man has become fashionable. When you got to masjid you will find matching kurta pajayma saya with matching bag and massalla. Previously masssalla use to be a peice of cloth. Nowdays it has become thicker more like a padded matress. I think it has become a niche market and people in business are promoting this to make bucks.

profastian

Unread post by profastian » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Global wrote:Aqs,

Exactly my point. Mia /Sheikh sahab in Makka should not make such statement because people look upon them them for guidance. Now a days even the bohri man has become fashionable. When you got to masjid you will find matching kurta pajayma saya with matching bag and massalla. Previously masssalla use to be a peice of cloth. Nowdays it has become thicker more like a padded matress. I think it has become a niche market and people in business are promoting this to make bucks.
What the heck is your point? When in the whole discussion has fashion come in :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Regal

Unread post by Regal » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:13 pm

fashion came in when bohri women started having 30 matching ridas for 30 masallahs for the 30 days of ramzan. when the bhensahabs and mullas wives have big designer rida businesses. what global is saying is true the massallah is a padded mattress nowadays. atleast its white, matching w/ the libas.