what is khammus

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
musti952

what is khammus

Unread post by musti952 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:26 am

salaam to all and dua ma yaad during month of holy ramadan
i want to ask one question what is the meaning of khammus the amil said in for zakat we r not calculated our zakat on right way he said 2.5% is zakat on your income and 20% is khammus if i earn 20000/- per month so 500/- is zakat and 4000/- is khammus so total zakat i want to pay 54000/- in a year
hi all i want to ask is this true 54000/- is more than 2 month income for me

porus

Re: what is khammus

Unread post by porus » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:07 am

Bohras, or I should say Bohra priesthood, interpret ayat 8:41 in a different manner from other Muslims.

Non-Bohra Muslims define khums as a sudden unexpected gain such as lottery winnings, inheritance or gains from enemies as a result of war (war booty). This is distributed by individuals for purposes identified in ayat 8:41.

For Bohras, all income is counted as 'gain', both expected such as salary and other gains. And a fifth of it is offered to the Dai through your Amil. This is mandatory.

Khums literally means a fifth. Thus your Amil is correct in demanding a fifth of all your income (traditionally over 1 year) as khums in addition to zakaat which is calculated as one fortieth (or 2.5%) of 'all your net wealth excluding the house you own and occupy'.

In your case, your annual khums for an annual salary of 240,000/- month is 48,000/-. If your wealth is 1,000,000/-, then 25,000/- is your zakaat. So your total bill, excluding other payents is 73,000/-.

You must add payments such as sila, fitra, haqqun nafs, najwa for Dai and salaam for Mansoos, Mazoon, Mukasir etc. You must also pay sabeel, which is your annual membership fee for jamaat. You must then pay a contribution for jamans on all occassions, your share for construction of masjid, and contribution for gifts for children to be distributed on various occasions.

If you are prompt with your payment, priesthood claims that you will be rewarded many folds here or in the hereafter.
Last edited by porus on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:16 am

Nizari Ismailis are little luckier.

they pay 12.5%
10% desond and 2.5% Zakat

stranger

Unread post by stranger » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:47 am

Is Khums (20%) Obligatory on a Muslim same as Zakat (2.5%) ?

porus

Unread post by porus » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:54 am

stranger wrote:Is Khums (20%) Obligatory on a Muslim same as Zakat (2.5%) ?
porus wrote: For Bohras, all income is counted as 'gain', both expected such as salary and other gains. And a fifth of it is offered to the Dai through your Amil. This is mandatory.
Mandatory means wajib or obligatory and that is so according to Quran 8:41.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:33 pm

YUSUFALI: And know that out of all the booty that ye may acquire (in war), a fifth share is assigned to Allah,- and to the Messenger, and to near relatives, orphans, the needy, and the wayfarer,- if ye do believe in Allah and in the revelation We sent down to Our servant on the Day of Testing,- the Day of the meeting of the two forces. For Allah hath power over all things.

Does this mean that the 5th share is to be equally divided amongst Allah, the Messenger, near relatives, orphans, needy and the wayfarer?
so 1/6th of the 20% goes to each one of them?

Also, how do you give to Allah and the Messenger? You cannot give their share to the needy because the needy have already been mentioned in the ayah separately. Of course, this question does not apply to the bohras because for them everything goes to the Dai.

student

Unread post by student » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:01 pm

musti952 wrote:salaam to all and dua ma yaad during month of holy ramadan
i want to ask one question what is the meaning of khammus the amil said in for zakat we r not calculated our zakat on right way he said 2.5% is zakat on your income and 20% is khammus if i earn 20000/- per month so 500/- is zakat and 4000/- is khammus so total zakat i want to pay 54000/- in a year
hi all i want to ask is this true 54000/- is more than 2 month income for me
no way zakaat or khums can be this much....even shia pays khummus and its no where 20%.

http://www.al-islam.org/beliefs/practices/khums.html

student

Unread post by student » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:14 pm

"The History of Khums: Khums is one of those things which were introduced by `Abdu 'l-Muttalib, the grandfather of the Prophet, and continued in Islam. Acting upon a command of God given to him in dream, when `Abdu 'l-Muttalib rediscovered the well of Zamzam, he found in it many valuable things which were buried in it in very remote past by the Ismailites when they feared that their enemies would usurp them. When `Abdu 'l-Muttalib found that buried treasure, he gave away its one-fifth (literally, khums) in the way of God and kept the remaining four-fifth to himself. Then it became a custom in his family; and after the hijrah of the Prophet, the same system was incorporated in Islam. Thus the first khums was not given from the 'spoils of war', but from a buried treasure (which is one of the seven items eligible for khums.)

student

Unread post by student » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:18 pm

In short khumus is some thing which u get as a lottery or a burried treasure or a war booty.only ZAKAT is official pay towards commands of ALLAH.

and no way Allah can ask for 20% as a charity on a general income,thats not just logical.

Biradar

Unread post by Biradar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:39 am

Actually, according to Bohra fiqh, 100% of your income belongs to the da'i and now, his beloved Mansoos. If the da'i lets you keep some money for yourself you should consider it a blessing and thank him and beloved Mansoos by doing salaam with envelop stuffed with nadir rakaam.

Based on instructions the da'i receives from Allah and Imam, he will tell you how much of your (i.e. actually his) money you can keep. Sometimes he might not let you keep any, and, in fact, ask you to take a loan to give him more. The reason for this strange situation is that the da'i and his Mansoos, although great luminous personalities, have a lot of trouble managing money. They keep needing more and more to compensate their lack of financial skills.

So, Bohoras, please stop complaining and pay up. Pay 100% and then let amil tell you how much you can keep for yourself. Don't hesistate. Da'i and beloved mansoos need a lot to maintain their ali-shaan and ali-waqar. It is their due, give it to them.

musti952

Unread post by musti952 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:29 pm

So, Bohoras, please stop complaining and pay up. Pay 100% and then let amil tell you how much you can keep for yourself. Don't hesistate. Da'i and beloved mansoos need a lot to maintain their ali-shaan and ali-waqar. It is their due, give it to them. i am not compellning just i want to know the truth about khammus on the view of islamic history
so these much amount also paid by local amil and shehzada's and kothar in there income becz in the view of bohra's zakat money only collected by imam(dai)