Practice Of Female Circumcision Among Bohra Muslims.

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
ghulam muhammed

Re: Practice Of Female Circumcision Among Bohra Muslims.

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:22 pm

Reports in Indian media :-

Three Dawoodi Bohras in Australia have been held guilty for circumcising two minor girls

In the first such case for the Bohra Muslim sect, a nurse, a clergy member and the mother of the two girls face punishment for female genital mutilation.

In a landmark verdict for Australia and for the Dawoodi Bohra Muslim sect, three members of the community have been held guilty for performing khatna or female genital mutilation on two young sisters in Sydney.

Pronouncing its verdict on Thursday morning, the Supreme Court of New South Wales held the girls’ mother and a retired nurse guilty of carrying out the genital cutting, while Shabbir Vaziri, a senior clergy member, was found guilty for being an accessory to the crime.

The trio could now face a maximum punishment of seven years in prison, but the sentencing will be decided in February. Till then, Vaziri, the nurse and the girls’ mother will remain out on bail. They have been made to surrender their passports so they cannot flee the country.

FGM has been illegal in Australia since 1997, but this is the first case of female genital mutilation that has made it to the nation’s courtrooms. It is also the first instance of anyone being arrested for khatna in the Dawoodi Bohra community, whose members predominantly hail from Gujarat, although many emigrant Bohras have settled all over the world.

The Australia case

The Bohras are the only community in India known to practice female genital cutting or female circumcision. The practice is said to have originated in Africa much before the rise of Islam, and finds no mention in the Quran. The Bohras are known to practice a milder form of FGM which involves cutting the tip of a girl’s clitoris. More severe forms of genital mutilation – practiced differently by different communities around the world – could include cutting large parts of the major and minor labia or even sewing up the vaginal opening.

The case of the two sisters in Australia was uncovered in 2012, when the Department of Community Services in New South Wales received an anonymous tip-off about the prevalence of FGM in the Dawoodi Bohra community. The state police began investigating the community by recording phone calls and using listening devices, and found that the two sisters – then aged six and seven – had been circumcised in two separate incidents, in Sydney and Wollongong, sometime between October 2010 and July 2012.

When the girls were interviewed in their school, they revealed that khatna (circumcision) had been done to them by a woman they did not know, and described the procedure as “a little cut down there”. According to the police, one of the girls said she was given some lemonade before the procedure and was asked to imagine a place that she liked to ease the pain during the circumcision. While showering after the cutting, she was also reportedly scared that it would hurt.

In conversations secretly recorded after the girls’ family came to know of the police investigations, their mother allegedly told them, “We told you, my child, this is a secret. Never tell anyone.” In another recorded phone call, the nurse who performed the cutting was heard saying, “I’m in trouble. I do not want to go to jail at my age.”

Initially, eight Bohras were arrested in the case, but charges against the girls’ father and four other relatives were dismissed by the lower courts. The trial has been drawing attention across international media.

‘Bring an end to the practice’

While many Bohras continue to support the practice of female circumcision, there has been a growing opposition to the ritual from within the community in the past few years. Those working to bring the practice to an end have welcomed the Australian court’s verdict.

“The parents of the girls should have obeyed the law of the land since they were living in Australia, but even in the wider context of human rights, the practice is not acceptable,” said Masooma Ranalvi, a publisher in Delhi and a Bohra who has been speaking out against khatna.

Ranalvi believes that Bohras everywhere should take cognizance of the fact that there is a worldwide movement against female genital cutting, which has been declared a child rights violation by the World Health Organisation because it is medically regarded as harmful. “It is done in a clandestine, unscientific and unhygienic manner without the consent of the young girl," she said. "I appeal to Bohra sisters and to the community leadership to stop the practice in keeping with changing times.”

http://scroll.in/article/768810/three-d ... inor-girls

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:06 am

Ali Ali wrote: Just go on google and search, list of countries where fgm is practised and go on wiki u will get ur ans
I did and i could not find it. which is why, im asking you again.

also, you chose not to respond to my second question. What proof do you have that FGM is beneficial, that you are propagating it so much here?

Aymelek

Unread post by Aymelek » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:44 am

bohrabhai wrote:Actually it was started with online petition and Priya goswami documentary. Now I am not able get anywhere goswami documentary. And if she had made such wonderful thing and which is socially revolutionary than why she made it public. I think we should request her that she should make available her documentary on public forum. She had won many awards for it but it is useless unless awareness do not spread.

Watch the full movie here:

https://vimeo.com/channels/847336/60267825

Winner of the prestigious 60th National Film Awards, ‘A Pinch of Skin’ is about the practice of Female Genital Mutilation.
The documentary juxtaposes both –the voice of the community, which views this as tradition; as well as the small voice of questioning dissent considering this as sexual politics.

sugguma

Unread post by sugguma » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:40 pm

seeker110 wrote:Here is something new n fresh

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/genita ... ar-BBofAz5
Check this post out-

https://dat2016blog.wordpress.com/

sugguma

Unread post by sugguma » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:42 pm

:!: :?:
Last edited by sugguma on Thu May 18, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sugguma

Unread post by sugguma » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:43 pm

Last edited by sugguma on Thu May 18, 2017 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:51 am

vimeo is difficult to assess and download
better put it also on youtube

dal-chaval-palidu

Unread post by dal-chaval-palidu » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:06 pm

sugguma wrote:
seeker110 wrote:Here is something new n fresh

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/genita ... ar-BBofAz5
Check this post out-

https://dat2016blog.wordpress.com/
Ben,

can you post a summary of the survey results. The above is a link to the blog. It is a good one and thanks. But what is the summary/take-away from the survey?

sugguma

Unread post by sugguma » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Last edited by sugguma on Tue May 16, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:48 am

I am receiving messages to say more I will write the ending chapter when the case ends . Why I chose FGM as a initiative for reform why I pushed it relentlessly, I have no connection to the accused party . It could have been any bohra family or priest anywhere. It can be any one in the future including SMS . I studied kothar and the options to have dialogue were not making any progress. Now with the case, media awareness, mortar better open their minds , dialogue is possible if the women keep pushing.

I will remain anonymous , I am a brother, son, , husband to Bohra women who have been circumcised , I decided in year 2000 I will not be a father or father in law to a circumcised daughter or daughter in law, as my covert operations are ongoing but at a larger scale and outside bohra level, I cannot give interviews or take public credit.

To get this practice fully uproot ed think about what happens to orthodox teenagers who find enlighten ed teenagers who are not circumcised or don't accept the practice. Will this cause marriage issues in the future ? The issue is bigger than case , media it is of real leadership

bohrabhai

Unread post by bohrabhai » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:08 am

India today is showing bohra fgm news now..

saminaben

Unread post by saminaben » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:38 pm

It is about time more and more behnos resist and stand up to protect and prevent their daughters sisters nieces from being subject to khatna. It is the least you can do in your own sphere of influence.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:41 pm

bohrabhai wrote:India today is showing bohra fgm news now..
On Indian National Television....... Rajdeep Sardesai of India Today News Channel in debate with Masooma Ranalvi and Zafar Sareshwala on FGM in Bohra Community :-

Women slam cruel tradition of female genital mutilation

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/video/wome ... 90959.html

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:52 am

the link is not working

Maqbool

Unread post by Maqbool » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:03 am

For those who missed the India Today news channel on Bohra Women FGM watch the link below.

juzer esmail

Unread post by juzer esmail » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:22 pm

Sydney Case
Attachments
IMG-20160210-WA0041.jpg

sugguma

Unread post by sugguma » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:09 pm

Last edited by sugguma on Tue May 16, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moiz_Dhaanu

Unread post by Moiz_Dhaanu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:08 am

juzer esmail wrote:Sydney Case
What a spineless joke this DMBS circus has become.
This has become an institution of convenience(i have purposely not used word "Dawat" , since i do not believe DMBS is leading the true dawat)..
Let’s put it into perspective as to how DMBS's regime has gone from bad to worse.
We know that all countries in which Bohras reside have a strict Rule against hawaala "money laundering out of the country via illegal channels"..
But in this matter, its a known fact that jamaats across the world(including shehzaadas) transfer money(najwa/wajebaat) to india via hawaala , and that time they do not recollect nor follow what Rasulullah(s.w) said about love for country and about obeying its laws..what hypocrites are the aamils of DMBS who when the time comes to stand up for the community , they start melting.

I wonder why this time ShzQaid Chor did not bring a "Mentally Unstable Certificate" for aamil and his accomplices. :twisted:
Infact i think its worthwhile to say that Mufaddali Aamils are a bunch of selfish opportunists to the core.

Lets count the different illegitmate and absurd things which DMBS has said or done or allowed, which makes him an opportunist and definately a Dawedaar
1. Do sajdaa to Mazun in the beginning and then proclaim that he knew all the time that the same Mazun was a “dushman” of Syedna Burhanuddin(RA)

2. Allow ,and even propagate in some cases, physical harm and social trauma to be given to anyone who goes against his dictats

3. Allow open blasphemy(Kulu and Gulu) (Badri Lacewala speech in houston ashara) as long as the benefactor is himself and his henchmen.

4. Practises Anti-humanitarian ideals and preaching by not allowing small children from meeting their mother.
It is a well known fact that Rasulullah(s.w.) always stressed on how we should treat our neighbour , no matter what religion he is of. But in DMBS's case, he wont even allow his grand children from meeting their mother.

5. Rather then ostracize(give some form of punishment) to the Sex pervert aamil, he invites him and showers him with blessings to continue being an aamil. Here i would like to relate an incident which will make it ample clear how DMBS is not even following Rasullulah(s.w.)

The following Riwayat has been mentioned many times by Syedna Burhanuddin(R.A) and Syedna Taher Saifuddin(R.A).

"Once a follower of Rasullulah(s.w.) was charged with stealing a camel and all the evidences and circumstances presented in front of Rasulullah (who was going to decide on the matter) were pointing that the man was guilty of stealing.
We need to remember here that this is Rasulullah(s.w.) we are talking about and that nothing is hidden from him. He knew that the man was being framed and that the evidences were made up, but he still did what any "Just" judge would do , and ordered to cut off the man's hands. All this while the man was praying salwaat and praying for mercy from allah and his Rasul. Suddenly the Camel spoke up(true miracle of Salwaat) and proclaimed that the man had not stolen and that he was being framed."

Now here is where we need to think and observe, that even Rasululah(sw) ,who knows all and is privy to everything, gave a judgment which was apt as per the Circumstantial evidence presented to him.
Then what kind of man do you think is DMBS, who does something exactly opposite when a similar case(with evidence) comes to him for his sex pervert aamil?

If this does not make normal Bohras think , then i wonder what will?

DMBS = Dawedaar Mufaddal Bhai Saheb

dawedaar

Unread post by dawedaar » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:25 am

The Kothar is in a Catch 22 situation with regards to this FGM issue. No one from the Kothar or Abde side who were asked to comment by Sardesai came out on the show to comment as seen in this news video. If Kothar says something, it will popularize FGM issue more amongst the abdes. By keeping quite, it is not helping them either!
Maqbool wrote:For those who missed the India Today news channel on Bohra Women FGM watch the link below.

think

Unread post by think » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:47 pm

The declaration by the sydney jamaat with all the trustee signatures is not enough. somebody should approach the Sydney authorities and let them know that they should have the signature of Muffy on that paper, after all he is the leader and sole authority giving directions to Abdes. Only then will the abdes start to abide. Otherwise in other parts of the world this business of cutting, slicing of young girls would be business as usual.
secondly the statement" Hubbul watan minal iman" meaning love for the land of abode is part of faith, only shows the cowardice and hypocritical nature of this sydney jamaat and their leader Muffy. How can ones faith be tied to ones country?

qutbiranglaya

Unread post by qutbiranglaya » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:26 pm

Think you are 100% correct. The signature of the LEADER is missing from this resolution. The directive (firman) has to come from Mufi and the dawaat in Mumbai. To the local brainless abdes the resolution by “napusank” committee
members mean nothing. The administration of the Sydney Jamaat is done by the local Amil, S Vaziri and the committee members are “chithi na chaker”. They are yes men who when asked to jump by Amil, say how high sir.

The Amil should have been sacked the moment he was found guilty. The sentence is going to be passed on S Vaziri, the leader of our community in Sydney and not an Indian private citizen.

The resolution was processed to show remorse but from the face of this it looks like they are trying to fool the Judge.

These three guilty parties should be punished for their deeds and the father of the children who is a doctor should be struck off the doctors’ register. Let us start this campaign so that he is not allowed to practice in Australia. He with the other three is a menace to society.

It was 51 Dai who changed the constitution and sacked the elected committee members of jamaat all over the world and put his people in and now these committee members are going against Mufi? No they do not have guts to do it. This resolution is just a show without the main actors.

And by the way why so many committee members for a tiny group of Dawoodi Bohras in Sydney?

think

Unread post by think » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:59 pm

YEs, why so many committee members. The reason , the mumin needs to understand is that dawaat is not to feed you, you are to feed the dawaat. The dawaat lives on your money. you have to work for your living and to support your family and out of that the dawaat demands that you pay them.

allbird

Unread post by allbird » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:34 am

Moiz_Dhaanu wrote:
juzer esmail wrote:Sydney Case
Well even SKQ is not a true Dai its proven. If Imam had given him Elhaam of whats coming in Australia in regards to FMG then he would have completely eliminated FMG from day 1 on post. He sits on so called Dawat ni ghadi and has not brought any reforms in some of the wrong practices in Dawat. Imam guided australian government to take initiative and expose and BAN this practices. Now mumin will migrate to australia in Tons on tug boats as refugees from SKQ and SMS to protect their daugthers.

:o :o :o

Maqbool

Unread post by Maqbool » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Bohras performing FGM must be based on some quran aya or hadis. 

When you say that to respect nabi's hadis of Hubbul vatan minal iman, no one should perform FGM in Australia. That means you disobey one hadis and believe another one!

think_for_yourself

Unread post by think_for_yourself » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:43 pm

allbird wrote:
Moiz_Dhaanu wrote:
Well even SKQ is not a true Dai its proven. If Imam had given him Elhaam of whats coming in Australia in regards to FMG then he would have completely eliminated FMG from day 1 on post. He sits on so called Dawat ni ghadi and has not brought any reforms in some of the wrong practices in Dawat. Imam guided australian government to take initiative and expose and BAN this practices. Now mumin will migrate to australia in Tons on tug boats as refugees from SKQ and SMS to protect their daugthers.

:o :o :o
Are we handing out awards for who can make the most braindead arguments on this forum today?

Seriously, do you really think that SKQ gives a flip that some fangirl of Mufaddal Saifuddin and one of his corrupt aamil is going to jail over FGM?

There is no enforcement in deen. If there is no enforcement of farizat such as namaaz, do you think that SKQ would care to enforce Rasulullah's sunnat, especially one that is of this questionable nature? Those of us who are followers of SKQ TUS have had the brains since Burhanuddin Aqa's time not to indulge in illegal practices. We do not need diktats from a fake dai such as MS to do the right thing. It is my personal opinion that no girl should be subjected to this procedure at age seven. When she is old enough to understand the impact of the procedure on her life, she should get it done if she so chooses. Have you read the Bu saheba sahifa about this? There is such an emphasis on leaving most of the clitoris in place that one wonders why one should cut even a little bit of it. It makes no sense to me and I have been outspoken about this in my personal sphere. Once again, this is my position and not that of Fatemi Dawat. I have always been a huge proponent of the use of one's brains in following religion.
Busaheba Khafd.png
khafd2.png

husena

Unread post by husena » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:02 pm

London follows Sydney,
london.jpg