Practice Of Female Circumcision Among Bohra Muslims.

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
rania

Re: FEMALE CIRCUMCISION

Unread post by rania » Sat May 29, 2010 3:10 pm

ozmujaheed wrote:Some time back I wrote and rallied that lets walk the talk rather than just blogging. I do not want to brag but see how the get out there approach is showing results and the debate it creates. I now have a opposition MP and people in Government supporting the cause.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wellbei ... 4#comments

And my comment publicised.
I am a Muslim born in an Indian Bohra sect that encourages these acts by influencing women and mothers around the community obligations of keeping alive this draconian practise.

I had written to Pru sometime back about the practises and it is good that I read today she has taken a stand against it and acknowledged my message.
The worry remains that this is such a private issue that it will be difficult to police since the community members take young girls overseas when they are as young as 5-9 yrs to get the cut done. The difficulty becomes when the girls get older, very rarely you would expect them to report their parents to authorities and hence the rituals flourish unnoticed.

However the government can start publicising the issues and the ramifications so over a long time the practise gets extinct as the kids get older and have their own daughters who they can avoid this. I in my case convinced my wife to ignore the practise by educating her on the medical aspects and fortunately my daughter was spared the cut.
Kaizar | Melbourne - May 28, 2010, 4:12PM
I have publicised other actions which are in progress so watch this space. That is my personal ijtihad.

http://dawoodi-bohras.com/forum/viewtop ... f=8&t=4803

For the abdes like Rania, aqs and some vacillating so called orthos like anajmi, I am not distracted by your commentary..my mission is on. And foolishly the Kotahr underestimates my resolve , reach and am yet to get an contact through my linked email bohradeen@gmail.com to review and resolve our issues internally all I get is abuse as if words will push me back.
Internet Hard Man ,

Will you please stop obsessing over me ? I know health care is Government Sponsored in Oz , but why give the doctors another patient to worry about ?

Now to talk on your own ' blowing the trumpet ' comments , please provide evidence that you indeed did write to Pru ( Weird Name ) and then she got educated when you brought it to her notice ! Any Jack or Jill may take credit for this. How are we suppose to believe you ?

If anything , you probably come off as a retard by looking at your posts on this forum ! ( Strictly no offense to retards and I mean that most sincerely )

And already having seen your cowardly antics when you were begging others to take me down ( Yes sweetie , my memory is superb ) why should we believe that it was you who brought it to Pru's attention ?

ozmujaheed

Re: FEMALE CIRCUMCISION

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Sun May 30, 2010 4:52 am

Rania, if you are she whats your personal view on FGM, would you encourage other girls to do so ?

Would I be wrong to assume you were "cut" too ?

How has it benefited you psychologically and physically ? Spiritually I can understand you are doing it for Taat reasons!

I know we have our spats but temporary ceasefire. Also surely your name is anonymous and no one will recognize you outside the cyber world, your answers will be a womans perspective of the issue.

Secondly why would you want to prove if I really wrote to a MP ? For your side regardless my objective is being met. And anyway I did not state she was completely ignorant before my message, I only reminded her that apart from Middle Eastern and African tribes, Indian Bohars practice this too.

On the other Jamaat section I will paste my communications after the Intelligence investigations are completed, where FGM is one of many issues raised, you just have to wait.

Muslim First

US doctor helps female genital cutting victims

Unread post by Muslim First » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:18 pm

US doctor helps female genital cutting victims

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 287646.cms

Please send this Doctors names of prominent Bohras starting with Bhai Sahebs and Aamils.

mbohra

Save Girls from Female Genital Cutting Petition

Unread post by mbohra » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:03 am

50,000 signatures are needed; 40,000 have already signed.

Please CTRL+Click following link and sign the petition.
http://www.change.org/care/petitions/vi ... al_cutting

Please note that this practice is African tribal and has been adopted by several Muslim Firqas worldwide. Bohras in India and other countries follow this practice, Dawoodi Bohras being the ONLY Asian Muslim Sect, ) albeit in milder form (and still criminally illegal under the Criminal Code in most Western Countries and elsewhere), yet very damaging. The practice has no basis in Quran or Sunnat.

Please!!!!!!!!

Conscíous

Re: Save Girls from Female Genital Cutting Petition

Unread post by Conscíous » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:46 pm

Signed letter

mbohra

Unread post by mbohra » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:32 am

Thanks BOOM:

Here's the excerpts from United States Department of State: Women's United Nations Report Network(WUNRN)

http://www.wunrn.com/research/general/s ... ate_lg.htm

"Female genital mutilation (FGM) is practiced by the Bohra Muslims. There are an estimated 100,000 Bohra Muslims in the country. There were no available statistics on the extent to which the Bohra practice FGM; however, the practice of FGM in the Bohra community reportedly has declined in the last few years. "

mumin

Unread post by mumin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:29 pm

UN Report on Violations of human rights of women in various countries.

Here is a report on Pakistan; dated February 25, 2004

http://www.wunrn.com/research/general/s ... ate_lg.htm

Excerpt from above report:
(In Pakistan) Female genital mutilation (FGM) is practiced by the Bohra Muslims. There are an estimated 100,000 Bohra Muslims in the country. There were no available statistics on the extent to which the Bohra practice FGM; however, the practice of FGM in the Bohra community reportedly has declined in the last few years.

Pakistan
In fact, due to rise in strict sect religious compliance by Bohras, the practice has increased. Unless there is a decree for stopping from Bohra chief called Dai, it will firmly remain in practice.

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:48 am

New South Wales Consolidated Acts
[Index] [Table] [Search] [Search this Act] [Notes] [Noteup] [Previous] [Next] [Download] [History] [Help]
CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 45
Prohibition of female genital mutilation
45 Prohibition of female genital mutilation

(1) A person who:

(a) excises, infibulates or otherwise mutilates the whole or any part of the labia majora or labia minora or clitoris of another person, or

(b) aids, abets, counsels or procures a person to perform any of those acts on another person,

is liable to imprisonment for 7 years.

(2) An offence is committed against this section even if one or more of the acts constituting the offence occurred outside New South Wales if the person mutilated by or because of the acts is ordinarily resident in the State.

(3) It is not an offence against this section to perform a surgical operation if that operation:

(a) is necessary for the health of the person on whom it is performed and is performed by a medical practitioner, or

(b) is performed on a person in labour or who has just given birth, and for medical purposes connected with that labour or birth, by a medical practitioner or authorised professional, or

(c) is a sexual reassignment procedure and is performed by a medical practitioner.

(4) In determining whether an operation is necessary for the health of a person only matters relevant to the medical welfare of the person are to be taken into account.

(5) It is not a defence to a charge under this section that the person mutilated by or because of the acts alleged to have been committed consented to the acts.

(6) This section applies only to acts occurring after the commencement of the section.

(7) In this section:
"authorised professional" means:

(a) a registered midwife, or

(b) a midwifery student, or

(c) in relation to an operation performed in a place outside Australia-a person authorised to practise midwifery by a body established under the law of that place having functions similar to the functions of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia, or

(d) a medical student.

"medical practitioner", in relation to an operation performed in a place outside Australia, includes a person authorised to practise medicine by a body established under the law of that place having functions similar to the Medical Board of Australia.
"medical student" means:

(a) a person registered as a student in the medical profession under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law, or

(b) in relation to an operation performed in a place outside Australia-a person undergoing a course of training with a view to being authorised to be a medical practitioner in that place.

"midwifery student" means:

(a) a person registered as a student in the nursing and midwifery profession under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law, or

(b) in relation to an operation performed in a place outside Australia-a person undergoing a course of training with a view to being authorised to be a midwife practitioner in that place.

"sexual reassignment procedure" means a surgical procedure to alter the genital appearance of a person to the appearance (as nearly as practicable) of the opposite sex to the sex of the person.

AustLII: Copyright Policy | Disclaimers | Privacy Policy | Feedback

ghulam muhammed

Practice Of Female Circumcision Among Bohra Muslims.

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:47 pm

The Practice of Female Circumcision among Bohra Muslims
by R. Ghadially

I am a Daudi Bohra woman and I was circumcised when very young. I do not remember at what age. But I do recall the
incident. My mother took me to the house of a woman in our Bohra mohalla. Except for the lady, no one was at home. I was told to lie down on my back on the floor and spread my legs. It hurt me bad and brought tears to my eyes. The whole thing was over in a matter of minutes. As I grew up and became aware of my sexuality I realized the purpose of
circumcision is to discourage masturbation. It limits the possibility of sexual pleasure from the stimulation of the clitoris. The circumcision exposes the nerve endings and direct contact makes the area hypersensitive and painful to
prolonged touch.

The main reasons for doing circumcision respondents gave include:
a) it is obligatory on the parents to do it as it is mentioned in the shariat;
b) it is a tradition/custom in the community; and
c) to curb the girl’s sexuality.

Profile of a Woman who does Female Circumcision

Living in the heart of a Bohra mohalla in a metropolitan city, Ms A, of lower middle class circumstances, occupies a
dilapidated one room plus kitchen flat and lives together with her son, daughter-in-law and two grandsons. She
is 75 years old, uneducated but literate. She has no training in nursing or first aid. Widowed at the age of 30, with three
young sons to support, she took the clergy’s permission to become gainfully employed by doing female circumcision.
Besides, she states, this line of work had already been in the family.

According to her, no other Muslim group in India other than Bohras practice it. Because of this practice, Bohra women, unlike other Muslim women, are permitted in cemeteries, mosques and can touch the stone of kaaba in Mecca. Ms A’s acquaintances in the mohalla tell her to stop doing this work and ask her “Why do you make little girls cry?” She replies
that as long as the shariat sanctions it and the clergy support it she will do it but the decision is really that of the women themselves.

Procedure:

She has a rusted box containing five items:
1) the astro— a barber’s razor — rusted, with a broken handle (about 8 to 9 inches long, duly blessed by the clergy);
2) a small stone on which to sharpen her razor;
3) a pile of 1" by 1" pieces of paper—this is used to wrap up the foreskin which is thrown away;
4) a small box of indigenous medicine called abeer or kapurkanchi powder mixed with silk thread ash (pure silk threads are burnt, grounded and put through a sieve), This mixture is put over the cut over the clitoris, the powder for
its cooling effect and the silk ash for its adhesive value, and lastly,
5) a pile of 1" by 1" pieces of cloth to put on the cut in case of bleeding.

According to her, the entire procedure takes a few seconds and if the girl is agitated it takes several minutes. The girl is told to lie on her back on the floor. Her two hands are held over her head by the mother, and her two legs are
held down by a woman each. Ms. A holds the foreskin in one hand and uses the razor (which she claims has been
sterilized) with the other. The foreskin— the size of a yellow moong bean—is excised. No anaesthetic is used for the
purpose. There is no bleeding unless the girl is difficult to manage. She recommends to the mother that the genital area be washed with warm water and antiseptic and the girl be given coconut water to drink to help in the discharge of urine. The wound is healed in a day or two. Post circumcision complaints are rare. Occasionally mothers come saying that the girl won’t permit them to wash the circumcised area. The girl is told not to mention what happened to her to anyone. Some of the girls are told that a worm was removed from their stomach.

When a non-Bohra woman decides to marry a Bohra man and they want a Muslim religious marriage ceremony to be
done by the clergy, the woman is asked to be circumcised. In the adult stage the size of the foreskin is that of a channa dal.

http://www.manushi.in/docs/1417.%20All% ... 0Izzat.pdf

Al Zulfiqar

Re: Practice Of Female Circumcision Among Bohra Muslims.

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:04 am

bro gm,

while this topic is very newsworthy and one which has a tendency to keep popping up quite frequently, little light has been shed on the far more serious and sombre fact of the emasculation of male bohras.

why doesnt that topic merit more vigorous and lively disussion on the pages of this forum?

bohra men over the reign of the last 2 syednas have been surgically subjected most cruelly to an almost 100% khatna, making them effectively impotent, meek and slavish in their response to the commands barked out at them by the military satraps located at the Strategic HQ in Saifee Mahal.

while female circumcision seems to garner more juicy press headlines, the bohra males on the chopping block have been ignored and the entire male segment of our society has been cruelly swept under the carpet, their manhood derided and humiliated, struggling to preserve the last few vestiges of their tattered dignity, surviving barely by the skin of their .... well, you get the gist!

the tremendous adverse effects caused to bohra society by this male impotency is glaringly obvious to see on this forum itself, as slaves rush to defend their controllers on cue.

Ala maqaam

Unread post by Ala maqaam » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:35 am

mustafanalwalla wrote:The article was extremely eye-opening, yet extremely disturbing.

But i'm atleast proud that i stood up to my mum and forbade her from doing FGM on my wife, and i am equally thankful to the Aamil Saab of our area who neither asked me about it, nor did he even bother
it is not even recomended for an adult.

and as far as I know u have married a hindu who still worship idols,so what is the point to observe any sunna on a hindu? and morever islaam does not even permit it.

better u invite her to islaam and make her leave her idol worship,or else any child coming out of this marriage is haraam.

Ala maqaam

Unread post by Ala maqaam » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:53 am

off topic,

it is very easy to fool an amil by giving him a fat cover but it is impossible to fool Allah subhanu wa talaa.

Ala maqaam

Unread post by Ala maqaam » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:10 am

mustafanalwalla wrote:
Ala maqaam wrote:off topic,

it is very easy to fool an amil by giving him a fat cover but it is impossible to fool Allah subhanu wa talaa.

If Rs. 152/- (roughly 3 dollars) is a fat cover, then yes, i fooled my Aamil you creep
brother dont take it personally,but if u knew what is the punishment of idol worship,u would not have continue ur way.

i wish people would take time and effort to educate them self.

u married a hindu is a good thing,u got a chance to invite her to islaam,but if u married for other intention and fail to show her truth then it becomes a curse.

any ways its between u and Allah,it was just my duty to make u aware of consequences,every momeen is a messenger to spread the message.

Ala maqaam

Unread post by Ala maqaam » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:13 am

mustafanalwalla wrote:And by the way Ala Maquaam, instead of preaching to me, why dont you get a grip on reality yourself.

You have already masqueraded yourself as LabbaikyaHussain in an earlier avatar and God only knows how many more before that.

Where is the proof of that you ask?
1. you always open your sentence by invoking the name of Allah (although you stopped it after someone pointed it out)-I have never stopped starting my message in the name of Allah,u can check my threads,I always start with Bismllah,and I dont need to care about any one other then my RUB.I start all my threads with the name of ALLAH
2. You always attack all people who pick on the ortho DBs and the Dai-yes because when they attack falsly it boils up my blood,and I will always support follower of ahlul bayt other then follower of yazid
3. You will then, slowly start to question the Dai and his practises and try to implant doubts-he is subjected to questioned,he is not IMAM
4. you suddenly start to flip flop in your stance (again something i pointed out when you were in your earlier avatar)-i am strong on my belief.
4. you were concerned about the legitimacy of my child when you were LH too-yes because I care about ur akhira.

Really my friend, get a life. Stop stalking this forum under different names.

I ignored you the first time you said these things about my wife and child, but since you wanted to go down the same path once again, i decided to expose you for the creepy, low-life that you are

i answered about ur questions
Last edited by Ala maqaam on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ala maqaam

Unread post by Ala maqaam » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:15 am

mustafanalwalla wrote:
Ala maqaam wrote:off topic,

If Rs. 152/- (roughly 3 dollars) is a fat cover, then yes, i fooled my Aamil you creep
yes ,if he didnt take care to questioned,that ur wife has stopped idol worshipping or not,then he is sold in just 152 rs.

its his duty to keep u on right track and advice u for ur betterment.

aqs

Unread post by aqs » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:25 am

Br. GM,
Its a very detailed description, author has definetely talked to a lot of Bohra women for this write up, but as the title suggests its not confined to only DB's. I have talked to few of my Arab colleagues regarding this, some of them were clueless and denied outrightly any such practice but a couple of them agreed in a very hush hush tone that it goes on in Arabs also but very discreetly and even girls immediate family members are not aware when its done. They were not able to confirm what is the percentage of Arab Girls going through this but they said no one will talk about it as its linked to the honour of the family.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:54 am

aqs,

no scholarly comments on the emasculation of bohra males? i see that you skirt around my posts. kyon mirchi lagti hai bhayya?

Conscíous

Unread post by Conscíous » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:39 am

I don't known about arabs, but those crazy somalian and a few other african tribes, surly love practicing this barbaric and inhuman act, which is OUTLAWED and condemned, "almost" everywhere in the world.. In my country, If one is found guilty for such practices, can receive a prison sentence, up to, 2 years and loose custody of their children..

I've always heard, that Syedna Saheb tells us to uphold the law, then he allows this, making us criminals, which doesn't make sense to me..

GM Saheb,
thank you for sharing this article with us :wink:

Humsafar

Unread post by Humsafar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 am

AZ raises an interesting point. Bohra males are not only indifferent to the horrors of FGM but also to their own moral and spiritual castration that the mafia clergy performs on them day in and day out.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:24 pm

bro aqs,

Although it is a known fact that some arabs too indulge in this inhuman practice but then look at the other side..... do we not not condemned inhuman acts of arabs and compare the same with our so called human and dignified behaviour ? So now what have the guardians of human dignity have to say about those same acts committed within their very own premise ?

Also do you notice that FGM has been given a cover under 'Shariat' i.e. "Shariat ka jaama pehna diya hai" by none other then the bohra clergy. Now has anyone questioned the clergy whether the same is part of "Shariat" or not ?

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:18 pm

mustafanalwalla wrote:
AZ, no scholarly comments on my comment on your comment on the emasculation of Bohra males either? I see that you skirt around my posts too. Kyon? mirchi lagti hain aapko bhi kya bhaiya?
mn, your posts are generally so intellectually low in their grasp and understanding of the points raised and so puerile in their content, that it doesnt make it worthwhile responding to them on most occasions. your posts are devoid of facts, logic or sense.

the complete emasculation of bohra males by the last 2 syednas is more spiritual and mental rather than physical. is this abstract concept too hard for your puny brain to digest? or is it that in your case this emasculation involves all 3 aspects, esp. after getting these strong urges for the syedna during daytime while you are fully awake?

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:05 am

Actually, I completely agree with Al Zulfikar. Your comments do not present even a hint of your understanding of the point under discussion.

Smart

Unread post by Smart » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:09 pm

@AZ and anajami,
There is cut off on this forum for the intellectually challenged. I realise that, had that been there, most if not all abdes would not be able to post here.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:25 pm

i suggest that one of the conditions to join this forum and be able to post here in a reasonably coherent fashion and intelligible language should be a min. IQ level.

admin, pls make it a mandatory requirement that anyone wanting to join should be made to take an online IQ test and a cut off point should be fixed. those who cannot pass this test should be rejected. that will automatically raise the bar of discussions and debates here.

JK..!

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:47 pm

I would actually do the opposite. Let only those who are categorized as stupid come to this board. Infact being an abde automatically qualifies you cause that means that you are sufficiently stupid. Those that are smart are already progressives either openly or in hiding. Let the abdes display their stupidity to anyone who cares to read about them on this forum.

Smart

Unread post by Smart » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:34 pm

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:56 pm

H.H Dr. Syedna: Ban Female circumcision (Ladkiyon par khatna)

Female circumcision is NOT islamic - it is an African ritual which only the Bohris follow in the subcontinent. It is cruel, inhuman and undemocratic. A girl's clitoris hood is cut off -without anesthesia in most cases. So her sexual desires are subdued and she never gets an orgasm. It is terribly unfair and painful and reinforces the stereotype that Islam does not give equal rights to women. Such a barbaric ritual has no place in a progressive community like the Bohras. So we pray to His Holiness to ban this ritual,

http://www.change.org/petitions/hh-dr-s ... par-khatna

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:15 pm

anajmi wrote:I would actually do the opposite. Let only those who are categorized as stupid come to this board. Infact being an abde automatically qualifies you cause that means that you are sufficiently stupid. Those that are smart are already progressives either openly or in hiding. Let the abdes display their stupidity to anyone who cares to read about them on this forum.
anajmi,

haha. although your comment is logical and hard hitting, dont you think that the very fact that abdes would not be able to join this forum because of their low iq levels, would in itself be a stinging display of their stupidity? imagine an idyllic world without the likes of retards like guy sam, progticide, ala maqam and their ilk.... yes, one thing would be very sad undeed. we would lose our favorite whipping boys..!

btw, my post about screening and weeding out people on iq levels was entirely TIC (tongue-in-cheek) and god forbid we start preening among ourselves. that would be vainglorious indeed.

feelgud

Unread post by feelgud » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:23 am

There seems to be no religious sanction for khatna. “It has nothing to do with Islam,” says Asghar Ali Engineer, “as the Quran doesn’t mention it. There may be some controversy about its mention in the Hadith but the fact is that it is an attempt to suppress sexuality so that women do not go astray.” One invalidated theory supports the idea that the Bohras, who are essentially a trading community and would travel often on long voyages, adopted this practice to prevent their women from having extra-marital affairs in their absence. Another prominent Bohra Muslim and a noted social activist, J.S. Bandukwala, tells Outlook that the practice stopped in his family with his mother. “The family felt it was not needed at all. It’s not mentioned in the Quran and even leads to unhealthy consequences.”
http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?279088