Practice Of Female Circumcision Among Bohra Muslims.

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
objectiveobserver53

Re: Practice Of Female Circumcision Among Bohra Muslims.

Unread post by objectiveobserver53 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:53 pm

Hmmm. Was it really that simple? Why could the MS guys not get it right the first time? Waiting until adulthood seems to be the right thing to do as the much bandied about benefit of CDH is to a woman's sexual life and THAT is nobody's business but that of a woman aware of her sexuality. Not much point in doing it on a girl child and subjecting her to trauma, if the accounts on sahiyo.com are anything to go by....

I guess the problem has always been the malpractice of khafz stemming from the secrecy surrounding it. By recommending it for adults only and by clearly describing it as CDH, he has made it completely legal and moved it from back rooms into clinics, where it belongs anyway!

Haqq_Prevails

Unread post by Haqq_Prevails » Sun May 08, 2016 1:30 am

Syedna Taher Fakhruddin TUS Statement on
Khafz (Khatna - CHR)

7 May 2016

Khafz should only be done after girl reaches legal adulthood
In the early 1900s, the 51st Dai al-Mutlaq His Holiness Dr. Syedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb RA—seeing the law of the land and the needs of modern society—clarified several temporal traditions of the faith. For example, he gave clear instructions to the community that men and women should be allowed to marry only after they reach legal adulthood, even though the faith tradition allows them to be married after attaining physical maturity. It goes without saying that these instructions have been continued by the 52nd and 53rd Dais, and continue to be given today by the 54th Dai His Holiness Syedna Taher Fakhruddin TUS.
Syedna Fakhruddin has always been concerned about protecting the rights of women and especially girl children in the community, and wishes to issue this statement now to clear the confusion caused by misguided declarations made by those who have usurped control of the community. They have made declarations contrary to the faith, limiting the education of girls, forcing a glass ceiling on the role women play in society, and undermining the position they have in a marriage. Women in the community have been bringing their plight to Syedna, especially a group of women who have recently brought to Syedna’s attention the trauma which girl children undergo when circumcision (khafz) is carried out without proper medical supervision.
Amirul Mumineen Molana Ali ibn Abi Talib AS clearly says that if the khafz is done then it may be done only after the girl reaches the age of seven. Molana Ali AS also says that this procedure is where part of the ‘clitoral hood’ may be removed, so that women would have more pleasure when they are with their husbands (as cited in the Daaim ul-Islam of Syedna al-Qadi al-Nu’man, Part 1 - pg 124).
وعن علي عليه السلام أنه قال، يا معشر النساء، إذا خفضتن بناتكن فبقين من ذلك شيئا، فإنه أنقى لألوانهن وأحظى لهن عند أزواجهن، وعنه عليه السلام أنه قال، أسرعوا بختان أولادكم فإنه أطهر لهم، وقال، لا تخفض الجارية قبل أن تبلغ سبع سنين
In view of the trauma that many girls undergo, in keeping with the law of the land, and following the precedents set by the previous Dais, Syedna Taher Fakhruddin Saheb says thatkhafz (khatna) of girls should only be allowed after they attain legal adulthood, after which they are free to make their individual decision whether to do the medically, legally and religiously sanctioned procedures.
The procedure is Clitoral Hood Reduction (CHR), also called Clitoral De-Hooding (CDH), or Hoodectomy, which is a medically sanctioned procedure, which many women choose to have done in many countries including the USA by licenced surgeons. The khafz procedure as just explained is analogous to CDH – in contrast, Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is a horrific and un-Islamic practice and Syedna Fakhruddin condemns it categorically.

fustrate_Bohra

Unread post by fustrate_Bohra » Sun May 08, 2016 4:25 am

Good to see that TFS had now come out in open. This is what I was expecting from an educated person like him. His courage will surely attract and motivate many open minded especially youngsters to take decission.

Great going sir...

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Sun May 08, 2016 4:41 pm

It is high time PDB or any official reformist body to comment formally their position regarding FGM and the new term introduced by Fatemi .

If they don't have the capacity to provide alternative approach they should side with STF or worst case SMS , on this issue. There is no recent issue that has made Bohras a topic of international human rights and law enforcement.

yfm

Unread post by yfm » Mon May 09, 2016 3:19 pm

When I see all the daughters of my friends having sex even before they are ready only because they have reached the age of sexual maturity, I agree with our customs. Even though we are protected and have safe sex practices, I do not want my duaghter craving for sex and be susceptible to sexual intercourse only because she has a clitoris that makes her think less.

I am for FGM if our Prophet and God Ordained it. Sex for pleasure leads to many pleasures that the western world agrees to but makes the tax payers pay for the pleasures of sex to others.

I have a right to vote for FGM. After all I am a tax payer and the life of my daughters depends on the sensibility of the grown ups.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Mon May 09, 2016 5:36 pm

yfm wrote:When I see all the daughters of my friends having sex even before they are ready only because they have reached the age of sexual maturity, I agree with our customs. Even though we are protected and have safe sex practices, I do not want my duaghter craving for sex and be susceptible to sexual intercourse only because she has a clitoris that makes her think less.

I am for FGM if our Prophet and God Ordained it. Sex for pleasure leads to many pleasures that the western world agrees to but makes the tax payers pay for the pleasures of sex to others.

I have a right to vote for FGM. After all I am a tax payer and the life of my daughters depends on the sensibility of the grown ups.
Well if your daughters can not control their appetite to have sex with others then it is not KHATNA but the upbringing which you as parents have failed.

Maqbool

Unread post by Maqbool » Mon May 09, 2016 11:18 pm

Yfm
Yes you have full right to vote to fgm but please make some logical argument. Don't bring rasool or quran in between. No Muslim follows the ritual and that is the proof that it's not said in quran or by rasool.

Aliqader has already excepted and informed the western bohras in writing, no more to practice fgm. If you believe him then obey him that is the only option you have.

way2go

Unread post by way2go » Tue May 10, 2016 1:14 am

yfm wrote:When I see all the daughters of my friends having sex even before they are ready only because they have reached the age of sexual maturity, I agree with our customs. Even though we are protected and have safe sex practices, I do not want my duaghter craving for sex and be susceptible to sexual intercourse only because she has a clitoris that makes her think less.

Children should not be blamed....as parents we have to inculcate the right culture and values in them. Elders should blame themselves if they go astray.....in the end it's the upbringing and the values instilled during their growing years that will matter. Making your daughter go through the horrible traumatic FGM is NOT the solution!!!

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Tue May 10, 2016 2:51 am

bro yfm
just coz she is ur daughter, u cannot control her life according to what u think is morally right or wrong.
u can only inculcate values, and upbringing upto her maturity.
afterwards she is free to make her choice --right --wrong whatever as she pleases with the consequences.
ur daughter or anybody else daughter or for that matter anybody--male or female are free to make their choices as they please after maturity. and are responsible for its consequences.
if they want pleasure--so be it. who are u to dictate terms to them according to ur thinking.
what is wrong according to u, may be right according to them. who are u to judge?
this is not about fgm alone, but greater aspect to control their lives according to your wishes and thinking.
just coz she happens to be your daughter does not give u license over thier lives as if your property

JC

Unread post by JC » Tue May 10, 2016 5:15 pm

yfm your (ill)logic sucks!

And please change the topic name of this threads ............ Bohras are NOT Muslims ........ :roll:

yuzarsif

Unread post by yuzarsif » Sat May 14, 2016 12:45 am

Mumbai Mirror News
"Yes to Khatna says Syedna, no say intnl jamaats"
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Arti ... 2016006005

Truth-Prevails

Unread post by Truth-Prevails » Sat May 14, 2016 3:20 am

http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/34471 ... cumcision/

Bohra men must speak up to save their daughters from female circumcision
By Yusuf Published: May 12, 2016

The fatwa given during the Zikra majlis by Syedna Mufaddal Saifuddin in favour of female circumcision dug up the wound that still exists in my heart and eventually made me write this post.

Listening to parts of the audio clip leaked from the majlis, at one point, Saifuddin says what translates to English as;

“It must be done. If it is a man, it can be done openly and if it is a woman it must be discreet. But the act must be done. Do you understand what I am saying? Let people say what they want.”

The Syedna made no direct mention of the word “khatna” or “khafz”, but asks that the act be done discreetly for girls so that the community does not get tangled in any legal trouble. He cryptically says,

“Do you understand what I am saying?”

It was a clear reference to Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). It is obvious that this was in response to the raging debate on FGM that has occurred in public after three Bohras were convicted in Australia for practicing khatna on two minor girls. No one from the clergy has come forward to participate in this debate, and the Syedna in his fatwa said,

“We are not willing to talk to anyone on this issue”.

The reason this issue dug up a wound in my heart is that a couple of years ago my daughter was made to undergo this barbaric ritual, against my wishes, under the pressure of elders and the ladies in particular.

A year before my daughter turned seven, my wife told me that when our daughter turns seven we have to do her khatna. Unlike most men in the community, I was aware of what khatna or FGM is and I told her that I will not allow this. I told her this practice was started centuries ago by Bohras who wanted to curb the sexual desire of their women, as they frequently travelled for business.

I added that there is no scientific/medical basis for khatna or FGM. There is no mention of it in the Holy Quran and other Muslim sects do not practice it. I even informed her that it is illegal in the western world and has been declared a violation of human rights by the United Nations.

I also initiated a discussion within my close Bohra friends circle. I raised the issue as to why a girl who doesn’t understand what’s being done to her has to go through this, especially when the ones taking her for the cut are people she trusts. One reply I received from a female friend in the group is etched in my memory. She said,

“Would you want your daughter to have multiple sex partners and have extra marital affairs?”

I was taken aback by the reply, particularly as this friend is a well-educated person otherwise! It left me in despair on realising the extent of falsehoods that have been propagated within the community, with people being brainwashed into believing something as barbaric as khatna, which has no scientific basis, no religious basis and is a violation of human rights was acceptable. Forcibly doing something that is thought to curb sexual desire is in itself a violation of human rights. If educated young women of the community think in this manner, what can we say about the elders who still dominate decision making in a majority of Bohra households?

My wife agreed with me and was reluctant to put our daughter through the horror. She told our mothers that I was against the decision. Yet in return, she was told that there would be no argument and this centuries-old practice had to continue, just like they went through it.

I, being the only son, live with my parents. My wife was torn between me on one side and my mother and her mother on the other. Talking to my parents did not help and ended with the usual invocation that it is a “religious obligation”. Moula, tears, emotions etc.

My wife and I left the matter there hoping that when the time came, we could fake it. But, when my daughter turned seven, my mom said she would accompany us to take our daughter to get her khatna. She wouldn’t let us go alone. She made sure the appointment with a Bohra gynecologist (sigh!) was made.

My daughter was put under the blade. The fault is mine. Maybe I wasn’t strong enough or forceful enough then to protect my daughter from this atrocity. But, now that there is a perfidious attitude where on one hand there is this fatwa in favour of the practice, while on the other hand, jamaats in western countries have issued letters telling citizens to refrain from the practice, I thought it is time we men from the community spoke out against it. It is time for Bohra men to be informed about this evil practice and come out against it to save their daughters.

As it is well-known that openly raising your voice against the Syedna has dire consequences, it is going to be difficult to get rid of this practice by mobilising support from within the community. Some people may be against it, but they are not open about it.

In my opinion, building support in the larger civil society and legal recourse is the best way to end the practice. Maybe Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in India will get a positive result. There is already a raging debate in India over triple talaq (divorce) after a lady filed a PIL against it, and it has gained larger public attention and support.

I commend the members of Sahiyo who are fighting against FGM. This post is my small contribution in support of their effort for a common good.

New Canuck

Unread post by New Canuck » Sat May 14, 2016 9:15 pm

Toronto Jamaat Joins the FGM Bandwagon, just recieved this e-Mail.
2016_05_14_12_28_04.pdf
(309.64 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

UnhappyBohra

Unread post by UnhappyBohra » Sat May 14, 2016 11:18 pm

image.jpeg
Now this is going too far. Point #2 is an out and out lie.
George Orwell was off by 32 years. This is doublespeak.
We must call the lie out every time we see it or soon they will have us doubting if we heard it right! But we have the audio and we know what he said!

They must really take us for fools!

ajamali

Unread post by ajamali » Sat May 14, 2016 11:27 pm

They forget that WE have the audio recording. And what he said there is that we are not afraid of the big mamalakats! We will do what is our way. Amal to thavuj joiye, mardo to Zahir che, mardo nu barabar aney bairo nu maghfi ma :shock: Ummm let's see what was he talking about....

This supposedly infallible person has backtracked from his words about 3 times this month. He has lost his way to jannat :lol: so it is a given that he is not taking any of us there.
UnhappyBohra wrote:image.jpeg

We must call the lie out every time we see it or soon they will have us doubting if we heard it right! But we have the audio and we know what he said!

think_for_yourself

Unread post by think_for_yourself » Sat May 14, 2016 11:54 pm

UnhappyBohra wrote:image.jpeg

Maybe they think that if they repeat it often enough we will believe that he said Amal to karvuj NA joiye instead of saying karvuj joiye :wink: additionally maybe by Amal he meant "doing laundry." Men should do their laundry openly and women should do it in secret...yeah that must be it. Dang it! He was talking about doing laundry in Zikra majlis! And we thought he was talking about khafz! How very silly of us.... MS has always been against khafz! That's why he has banned it in about 20 odd jamaats but not all! But he will slowly ban it in all...just you see.

Truth-Prevails

Unread post by Truth-Prevails » Sun May 15, 2016 1:31 am

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 271326.cms

Legal notice a big worry for Bohras standing up to ‘khatna’
Nergish Sunavala | TNN | May 14, 2016, 07.49 PM IST

"I am a father and I am against khatna," reads a sign Yusuf holds over his face in a picture attached to a blog post. Since last year, brave Dawoodi Bohras have been breaking the silence surrounding 'khatna' or female genital cutting (FGC) in the close-knit community by signing a change.org petition, and speaking up against the practice in the news media and on blogs.

Yusuf, who asks that his last name not be used, chose to speak out after hearing the Syedna's veiled comments in support of FGC at a recent sermon in Mumbai. "The reason this issue dug up a wound in my heart is that a couple of years ago my daughter was made to undergo this barbaric ritual, against my wishes," he explains in a post published on Sahiyo.com, an NGO, which has been spearheading the campaign against 'khatna'.

While Yusuf chose to hide his face because he fears his parents might be harassed by jamaat authorities and his business associates might be forced to cut ties with him, others like Alifya Sulemanji have openly come out in support of the campaign - an unusual trend in a community where the fear of "social boycott" looms large. This can range from being ostracized from places of worship, denied a burial place or being shunned by family members.

"We have had cases of people, who are keen to publicly support us but later back out because of fear or of what certain family members have told them," says Aarefa Johari, one of Sahiyo's founders. "We know of someone who participated in our photo campaign initially but then had to leave because of implicit pressure from relatives."

However, for now, the religious authorities have chosen to refrain from officially boycotting community members over this issue. The backlash faced by the founders of Sahiyo and other vocal supporters was also restricted to harsh comments on social media and being regarded as "reformists" and "fringe elements" by the orthodox sections.

Then in March this year, Sahiyo received a cease and desist letter from the Anjuman-e-Burhani Trust of Sydney. The letter threatened to sue all five founders and serve a legal notice to the web portal WordPress (on which their website is registered).

The point of contention was a resolution, issued by Sydney's Anjuman-e-Burhani Trust, banning 'Khatna' in Australia. This notice was sent out to the Sydney jamaat a few months after an Australian court held three Dawoodi Bohras guilty for carrying out female genital mutilation (FGM) on two minor sisters.

The trust claims that by uploading this notice on their website, Sahiyo has breached the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). "The Letter is an original work, copyright in which subsists and belongs to the Trust and the contents of which are non-trivial," claims the legal notice, a few lines of which have been published in a Sahiyo blog post. It goes on to add that they aren't impeding "free speech" as Sahiyo is free to paraphrase the resolution, which has been widely shared on social media.

In response, Sahiyo removed this resolution and all the others issue by various international 'jamaats' from its website. "While our content is what could be termed as within terms of Fair Use Policy, meant for non-commercial, educational purposes only; circumventing any legal exchange any further, we took the page consisting of the letters down," explains the blog post.

While the founders aren't disputing whether or not the letter is copyright protected, they do speculate on why the religious authorities, issuing these letters, would object to their publicly sharing the progress made in ending FGC.

"The Syedna's pro-khatna remarks indicated that the public resolution letters were applicable to the diaspora Dawoodi Bohras in Australia, United Kingdom, and United States, only on paper," says their blog post. "With Sahiyo receiving the Cease and Desist Notice, an attempt to re-silence the practice of khatna has been made." Repeated attempts to get a comment from the Sydney trust, via email and over the phone, were unsuccessful.

Other members of the community haven't faced any blow-back from the religious authorities but are being shunned by family members. When 42-year-old Sulemanji, who underwent 'khatna' at age seven and now lives in New York, suspected that a close relative was planning to subject her daughter to the practice, she tried to dissuade her. "She started fighting with me and the conversation ended on a bad note," she recalls. "She said, 'How dare you talk like that. My 'moula' (Syedna) has told me to do it and I will. You are not a true believer."

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Sun May 15, 2016 1:47 am

Muffy maula, kafi raaita fela rahe hai ... he needs a break .. send him to african safari for some wild-life hunting .. he is getting crankier working too hard from his air-conditioned MMM (merc-maula-mobile), I saw one of his parade vidoes, it looks so hilarious .. he is on display going all fancy and delighted either like a kid or an animal inside a cage .. while other junglee abdes falling head over heels .. one would wonder .. who is more amused looking at one another .. for free people, it is heck of an entertainment.

unclesam

Unread post by unclesam » Tue May 17, 2016 11:44 am

Bohra women cheer as WHO joins FGM battle
By Jyoti Shelar , Mumbai Mirror | May 17, 2016, 03.36 AM IST

The World Health Organisation releases guidelines instructing doctors how to help victims of female genital mutilation.
The World Health Organisation on Monday released the first ever guidelines on how doctors and other medical professionals should deal with victims of female genital mutilation (FGM).
The guidelines were welcomed by women from the Bohra community who are fighting against the practice, and are hopeful that the new recommendations will boost their campaign.
The new recommendations aim to help health workers to provide better care to the more than 200 million girls and women worldwide, who suffered female genital mutilation. "FGM has no health benefits, can cause grave harm, and violates the rights of girls and women. Procedures can cause severe bleeding, problems urinating, and later cysts, infections, and death. FGM can also result in complications in childbirth and increased risk of newborn deaths," the WHO release stated.
"We have plenty of cases wherein victims were taken to doctors but the doctors had no clue about the practice of genital cutting or its side effects. Many times, women who have been cut go to doctors seeking explanation for damage to their body and system if any but doctors don't have answers," said Masooma Ranalvi, a 49-year-old publisher from Delhi, who was the first signatory to the petition to abolish FGM that is addressed to the ministry of health, women and child development and law and justice. The petition now has more than 50,000 signatures

bohrabhai

Unread post by bohrabhai » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:10 pm

http://m.indiatoday.in/story/female-cir ... 85728.html
Female circumcision: Syedna favours respecting local laws

Vs
https://youtu.be/vm8CoOGj0J0
Amal to thavu j joie. Ame to vaat karava j taiyar nathi.

Ya ilyahi ye majra kya he

ajamali

Unread post by ajamali » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:55 am

A comment on the FGM Facebook page says it all:

He must not have meant it then, when he said "the act must be done! Openly for men and secretly for women! who are the big governments to tell us what is right and what is wrong?! "
bohrabhai wrote:http://m.indiatoday.in/story/female-cir ... 85728.html
Female circumcision: Syedna favours respecting local laws

Vs
https://youtu.be/vm8CoOGj0J0
Amal to thavu j joie. Ame to vaat karava j taiyar nathi.

Ya ilyahi ye majra kya he

bohrabhai

Unread post by bohrabhai » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:34 am

Circumcision a religious rite, but abide by law of country, clarifies : Syedna
http://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumbai/C ... 627596.cms

Means ame vaat karva taiyar Thai gaya che. Ane have Amal to thavu j joie but conditions apply avi gayu che.

Shk Mohammed Yamani

Unread post by Shk Mohammed Yamani » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:19 am

Bhaisaheb re arrested and jailed for 11 months by the supreme court

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... cb0c61d827

Shk Mohammed Yamani

Unread post by Shk Mohammed Yamani » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:29 am

Shocking news, in UK alone, there were 1200 FGM cases recorded by NHS the English heath services

More than 1,200 FGM cases recorded across England in three months

http://gu.com/p/4kz3a?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_WhatsApp

ajamali

Unread post by ajamali » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:35 pm

Mufaddal Saifuddin's mad rant on khafz is getting him notoriety in the UK House of Lords
IMG_1703.mp4
(13.66 MiB) Downloaded 2981 times

sugguma

Unread post by sugguma » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:13 am

Written version of a portion of the speech in UK's House of Lords on June 9, 2016 by Lord Berkeley of Knighton on FGM and Dawoodi Bohras practice of Khatna and the outcome in the Australian prosecution:

"Religious leaders all over the world and of virtually every persuasion have continually stated that there are no doctrinal reasons whatever to justify or encourage FGM. So it is worrying that an Indian Muslim sect, Dawoodi Bohra, which has several thousand followers in the UK, has been encouraged to practise its form of FGM—khatna—by its leader, Mufaddal Saifuddin. His senior representative, a Mr Vaziri, has just been sentenced to 11 months in prison by an Australian court for his part in trying to cover up acts of FGM. The mother of the girls in question has been sentenced to 11 months’ home detention for allowing her two daughters to be harmed, as has the midwife who mutilated the girls. The judge made it clear that Australia was sending a message that it simply would not tolerate this abhorrent practice. If Australia can achieve success in prosecution, why cannot we?

Will the Minister make it absolutely clear, as set out in law, that should anyone encourage others to practise FGM they would be committing a criminal offence? We need to fire this shot across the bows of groups such as Dawoodi Bohra, so that their members are in absolutely no doubt about the grievous consequences of such actions...."