Lisan-e-Dawat and supplications

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.

Lisan-e-Dawat and supplications

Unread post by Guest » Thu Dec 28, 2000 2:21 pm

Assalamu alaykum and Eid Mubarak to all!<p>There several good points Br. Muslaman and Muslim have brought up that I wanted to elaborate on insha'Allah. The language of dawah (lisan-e-dawah) in the bohra community today is a mix of gujarati, urdu/hindi, and arabic which is written in arabic script. The majority of bohras speak one or more of these individual languages and it maybe that the current lisan-e-dawah is used to: 1.) bring the community closer under one common language and 2.) lead us to all learn arabic as a main language of dawah as it originally was. I believe most bohra would consider it impossible to switch to arabic exclusively without first being slowly familiarize with arabic. I think that the process the community is under now.<p>I can not recall ever being told not to learn/speak arabic, but have been told not to speak urdu and gujarati at home and at religious functions. All I have written is my own opinion/guess on the matter.<p>The other item is that personal supplications as Br. Muslim and Musalman have noted can be made in any language. Most of the duas we recite for washiqs and such are of our past imams or dais who wrote them in arabic and are kept in arabic to maintain their purity and intent.<p>Was salam<br>