Reference of Ali in the Quran

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
Truthseeker

Reference of Ali in the Quran

Unread post by Truthseeker » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:57 am

Hi everybody..i have a hardcore fanatic sunni as my colleague ...the other day someone mentioned that Mola Ali's name has been mentioned numerous times in the quran...i have tried to google the information but then all i get is interpretations of ayahs from how the scholar who has interpreted it has seen it.
My colleague's constant denial of the fact during our tete a tete that Ali's name has never been mentioned has made me come here for some of you to shed light in it.
care to enlighten me?

Alislam

Re: Reference of Ali in the Quran

Unread post by Alislam » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:08 pm

Salaam,

It is no use dividing the ummah into Sunni, Shias, etc and instead concentrate on the unity of the community as the Prophet(PBUH) never wanted his ummah to divide into sects like sunnis and shias.
Instead, concentrating on how to better oneself by the path shown by the Quran, and as practiced by the Prophet(PBUH), would be beneficial in this life and the hereafter.

was salaam

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:15 am

truthseeker,

No, Maula Ali's name has never been mentioned in the quran. Neither are the names of Abu Bakr, Umar or Uthman mentioned in the quran. The mahdi is not mentioned in the quran either.

The name of the prophet Muhammed (saw) is mentioned in the quran 5 times, the name of Esa (as) is mentioned 25 times. The story of prophet Moses (as) is mentioned in the quran more than 120 times.

The name of Abu Lahab is mentioned in the quran twice!!

khan19922001

Unread post by khan19922001 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:08 am

Dear Anjami

While I agree that the Companions name have not been specifically mentioned, I would like to add that the cave incident at the time of PBUH's hijrat from Makkah to Madina, clearly refers to a Sahabi which all scholars agree was Abu Bakr.

In addition the name of the Prophet's adopted son Zaid has been clearly mentioned in the Quran.

It therefore does not make sense that the Quran mentions Zaid's name for an incident, while for the Imammet issue, which is so fundamental for the Shias that all other forms of worship become secondary, the name of Ali is not clearly mentioned.

Regards

spot

Unread post by spot » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:11 pm

dear khan,
along with your note on the events of the sahabi, this also applies to ali. there are many events in the quran which refer to ali and others, but not by name, but by the event they are associated with.

if your friends argument is related to finding the name of ali in the quran, you will not. but events related to ali are mentioned many times in the quran.

for shia the last verse of the quran revealed is related with the events of ghadir khum which established him as the maula as the prophet was the maula.

other events, such as that of the kisa, relate to the v33:33 as that of purification of sins.

as ajami pointed out, isa nabi is mentioned more than muhammad nabi. name placement is not the criteria to base from.

JC

Unread post by JC » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:24 pm

Agreed. name placement has no relevance.

for Shias Ghadeer-e-Khum is the basis for Ali's Imammat, however the Silsala-e-Imamat is debatable. Ali was Maula, right, but his sons will continue to be Maula's is something not clear.

for bohras, it is useless to say that they keep on harping that burhan's or dais or reference to dais has been quran which is totally wrong and absurd.

Alislam

Unread post by Alislam » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:33 pm

salaam,

for Shias Ghadeer-e-Khum is the basis for Ali's Imammat, however the Silsala-e-Imamat is debatable. Ali was Maula, right, but his sons will continue to be Maula's is something not clear

The yardstick to understand this, is to research and see who led what life and thier contribution to Islam.
This will clearly seperate the truth from the false.

was salaam

serendipity

Unread post by serendipity » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:08 pm

Also just for the record since some of us care, the most mentioned woman is Maryam.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:42 pm

Brother Khan,

If we start looking at what the sholars say, then there are a lot of scholars that will say that a lot of things in the quran are about Maula Ali, some will say that a lot of things are about the living Imam Aga Khan.

So let's just stick to what the quran says for now.

jinx

Unread post by jinx » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:23 pm

He has been mentioned but not by his name