Zehra Cyclewala Thunderstorms the Dais' Devrhi in Surat

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
ghulam muhammed

Re: Zehra Cyclewala Thunderstorms the Dais' Devrhi in Surat

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:12 pm

One Woman's Jihad
By Yoginder Sikand

Zehra Cyclewala is a leading figure in the reformist movement against the tyranny of Syedna Burhanuddin, the head-priest (dai-e mutlaq) of the Daudi Bohra Ismaili Shia sect. Here, in a conversation with Yoginder Sikand, she relates the story of her decades-long personal struggle against priestly tyranny.

The Syedna turns 100 this month, and massive celebrations are being organized by his followers across the world to project him as a popular and pious leader. Zehra's life tells a different story, however.

My name is Zehra Cyclewala. I am 55 years old, and have lived in Surat for most of my life. I was born in an orthodox, lower middle-class Dawoodi Bohra family. My parents had five children, and I was the youngest child. In the mid-1980s, soon after I completed my education-I did my graduation in Commerce-I joined the Saif Cooperative Society in Surat, a bank established in the 1960s by a group of Bohra traders. It was inaugurated by the Bohra head priest Syedna Burhanuddin himself, and enjoyed his blessings. I started work there as a clerk, and, gradually, rose to become its manager. From the very beginning, the Saif Cooperative Society gave and took interest. The Syedna naturally knew of this, and he had no problem with it, although some Muslims believe that even bank interest is forbidden or haram in Islam. However, two years after I joined the bank, the Syedna issued a fatwa claiming that bank interest was forbidden, and demanded that the Bohras working in our bank leave their jobs at once. All the staff of the bank was Bohras at that time. Because the Bohras believe the word of the Syedna to be almost like divinely-inspired law, they hurriedly complied with
his order and quit their jobs. I was the only one to refuse. After all, I thought, when, from the time the bank was established till the Syedna had issued this fatwa, the bank had been giving and taking interest, and the Syedna knew about this all along, how come he had suddenly decided or realized that such interest was haraam? The Syedna himself had inaugurated the bank, and when he did so he had no problem with it dealing in interest. There was something fishy in this fatwa, I felt.

Despite enormous pressure to leave the job, I refused. I lived with my mother, Fuliben Taherali, in Surat, and was the sole source of her support, because my father had died when I was 20. I simply could not do without this job. So, despite the Syedna's order, I stuck on. The District Cooperative Society Board appointed a non-Bohra administrator-a man called Mr. Daru-to run the bank, and I worked under him. My defiance of the Syedna's orders was not liked by the Bohras of Surat, and soon complaints about me reached the Syedna's religious establishment-the Kothar.

The eldest son of the Syedna, Qaid Jauhar, came to Surat and met with me, and insisted that I must resign. 'Why should I?' I asked. I told him that a branch of the Bank of Baroda functioned in a building built on a plot of land owned by some Bohras in Surat, and that this bank dealt in interest. The bank paid rent to the Bohra owners, who, in turn, parted with some of it to the Syedna's establishment, through the Syedna's local amil or representative. 'Why don't you stop taking rent from the Bank of Baroda?' I asked. Qaid Jauhar was shocked by what he regarded as my impudence. He told me that I asked too many questions, and said that this was improper.

As I said, by this time there was enormous pressure on me to quit my job. The Bohras believe that the Syedna is a divinely-appointed man. To displease him, they believe, is a sure way to land in hell. To refuse his order, they think, is to disobey and revolt against God. This is what the Syedna has made them believe. Hence, they thought that my refusal to quit my job was no ordinary revolt-but that it was nothing than a defiance of the divine will. And so, in a short while, a campaign was launched in Surat to excommunicate me. My house is in the middle of the Saifi Mohalla, a Bohra locality, hardly five minutes walk from the Jamia Saifia, the Bohras' biggest madrasa. All my neighbours were fellow Bohras. Soon after I was excommunicated, they all stopped speaking to me. Even my relatives were forbidden to have any interaction-even on the phone-with me.

Yet, even in the face of this ostracism, my mother insisted that I must not give up. 'Don't you quit your job,' she said. 'You have to stand on your own feet. Your community is not going to help you when you need it.' I did what she said. After all, I was no longer young, and it was not easy for me to get another job. If I quit my job, who would feed us?

The Syedna has a powerful weapon that he readily deploys to shut up anyone who dares protest against his oppression. Anyone who speaks out against his crass corruption (on the basis of which he and his vast family have become enormously rich by levying all sorts of taxes on the Bohras) or dares to criticize his dictatorship is at once excommunicated. This is called baraat. A Bohra who is thrown out of the community's fold by the Syedna can have no
social relations at all with any other Bohra, not even with his or her own family. Numerous spouses have been forcibly divorced, against their will, because one of them dared to differ with or raise his or her voice against the oppression and corruption of the Syedna and his henchmen.

And so, I, too, was declared to have become a mudai or apostate, and was subjected to baraat. Even my closest relatives, barring, of course, my mother, whom I lived with, stopped talking to me. When my mother and I walked on the streets, Bohras used to spit at us. Many would utter abuses and curse us. I refused to take this lying down. After all, I was always assertive, even as a child, and could not tolerate nonsense. And so, I filed a case against almost 20 Bohras who used to torment me and my mother in this vulgar way. This was in 1989. I won the case, and my tormentors came to me asking for forgiveness.

Meanwhile, the Syedna's men continued to try to force me out of my job. They entreated Mr. Daru, the newly-appointed administrator of the bank, to throw me out, but he refused because I was good at my work. When I discovered that several rich Bohras of Surat, including some who had been office-bearers in the bank, had taken loans and had defaulted on payments, I took them to court, and the court forced them to return the money that they owed. This greatly incensed these men, and, using the enormous political influence that the Syedna wields, they pressurized the government of
Gujarat, which was then controlled by the Congress, to remove the administrator of the bank and appoint someone else in his place, who they hoped would do their bidding. They managed to do so, and Mr. Daru was replaced. Mr. Daru's only 'fault' was that he had refused to agree to their demand to expel me from my job.

Now that the Syedna's men had succeeded in forcing Mr. Daru out of the bank and that the new administrator was a pro-Syedna man, I felt that my own job was under threat. So, I sent letters to top officials, including the Chief Minister of Gujarat, informing them about what was going on. Thereupon, I was suddenly demoted to the post of accountant, on the instigation of the Syedna's men. I approached the court in protest, which issued a stay order, declaring that I should not be removed from the post of manager. The new administrator of the bank pursued the case in the higher courts, but even the high court confirmed the stay order, which was in my favour.

However, because the majority of shareholders of our bank were Bohras, and because they believed every word of the Syedna to be divine law, they voted to suspend me despite the court's stay order. This was tantamount to contempt of court. And so, for three years, from 1989 to 1991, I could not go to office. It was at this time that I began meeting with other women-Hindus, Sunni Muslims and Christians-who had also suffered in their own ways and who were trying to speak out against their oppression. We formed a support group and tried to help each other cope with our difficult
situation. It was these women who inspired me to refuse to let the board of directors of the bank off. After all, by voting to suspend me they had violated the court's orders. And so, I lodged a contempt of court case against them, which dragged on for two years. In the end, the court ruled in my favour. The directors of the bank begged the court for mercy, and I was reinstated as manager, while 15 Bohra men were suspended from the bank's board of directors. Till then, the bank had been in the hands of the Syedna's cronies. To stabilize the bank and to make it more broad-based, I appointed several Hindus, Sunni Muslims and reformist Bohras as members of the society, and so it became much more cosmopolitan.

All this while, I refused to relent, although the Syedna's men kept sending me messages, saying, 'Repent and you will be forgiven.' But what I did I need to repent for? It was not me, but they, who had done wrong. They should have repented, not me. I refused to tender any apology although I had to face, and still continue face, brutal social ostracism. After all, my
struggle was not for myself alone, but for the many Bohras who live under the cruel tyranny of the religious establishment. It was a struggle for truth and justice.

In 1991, my mother fell sick but no relatives could come to see her, for fear of being ex-communicated. She, too, had been excommunicated by the Syedna because she lived with me and refused to accede to his orders that no Bohra should have anything to do with me. She knew that having been excommunicated she would not be buried in a Bohra graveyard. Still, even on her deathbed, she stood like a rock behind me, insisting that I must never surrender to injustice. Shortly after, she passed away. No Bohra came for her funeral-not even her other children, my siblings. The Bohras of Surat refused to bury her in the community's burial ground. I insisted that she would be buried there and nowhere else, because I was a Bohra and I had my rights, and my mother had been a Bohra, too. The Sunni Muslims of Surat offered to let her body be buried in their cemetery. I thanked them but I declined their offer, saying that if I accepted their offer, it would be conceding defeat in the struggle against the Syedna's religiously-sanctioned tyranny.

News about my mother's body being thrown out of the Bohra mosque soon spread throughout the town, and so, in the dark hours of the morning, and under police protection, a crowd of some 10 thousand Sunnis and Hindus collected at the Bohra graveyard and ensured that my mother's body was laid to rest there. Not a single Bohra came for the funeral.

Sometime in the 1990s, a local Bohra leader, Yusuf Bhai Badri, who was then Secretary of the Bohra Jamaat of Surat and a close confidante of the Syedna, had taken a loan from our bank, but because he had not repaid the loan, interest on it had mounted and he owed the bank almost double the principal. He refused to pay back on time, and I was compelled to take him to court. The court issued a warrant ordering the seizure of the property of his guarantor, a Bohra industrialist called Haiderbhai Hazur. I went to Haiderbhai's house with the court order, along with some policemen. When I got there and he saw me, he said, 'How dare you come here? You are an apostate!' I told him that he had to repay the money, otherwise the court would take action against him. Scared of what might happen to him, he asked for three days to pay up.

Just as I left his house, some Bohras began screaming like mad men, alleging that I had abused the Syedna. They began hollering out to the Bohras around to come out and beat me up. Soon a huge crowd collected and surrounded me, including many Bohra women. Somehow, I managed to escape. I ran to the nearby Mahidarpura police station, but the crowd of Bohra men and women, more than 5000-strong, rushed there as well, following me. They started raising slogans, crying out, 'Give us Zehra Cyclewala! We will kill her!' The Bohra amil of Surat, Syedul Khair, son-in-law of the Syedna, was leading the crowd. 'Come out and we shall hammer you!' he shouted. Inspector Khan of the police station said to me, 'Ask them for mercy and they will let you go, or else they might kill you. Why create a fuss about refusing to say just two words in apology?' But I refused, saying, 'I would rather die but I shall never ask them for mercy. After all, what wrong have I done?' The policemen did nothing to control the crowd or stop them baying for my blood. Instead of beating them with lathis or tear-gassing them or even registering a case against them, they lent them their support. Such is the enormous power of the Bohra establishment.

Although I was perfectly innocent and the crowd was at fault, a false case was registered against me, claiming that I had abused them! I tried to lodge a formal complaint in the police station, I was not allowed to and, instead, I was put into the police lock-up, where I had to spend the entire night. The next afternoon, I was taken to the court. A huge crowd of Bohra women gathered there. They demanded that I be sent to jail. But the magistrate refused, saying that it was a bailable case and so I was released on bail. Because it was no longer safe for me to stay in the Bohra locality, where I had my home, I shifted to a Hindu locality for a couple of days. The Bohras had spread all sorts of false news about me, claiming that I had caused a disturbance by abusing the Syedna, so I went to the offices of leading newspapers in Surat to tell them the truth. I said, 'You have been fed on wrong propaganda and, without doing any investigation, you have published false things about me. Now you have to publish my version of the events or else I will go on hunger-strike and will lodge a complaint with the Press Council.' The journalists heard me out and the next day they published my story.

As I said, instead of supporting me, the police had taken the side of the Bohras, and so as soon as I was let off by the court I, along with several of my women friends of the Surat District Mahila Sangh, a women's group of which I was one of the founders, went to meet the Police Commissioner and told him how badly the policemen had treated me. I don't know what I would have done without the help of these women colleagues-who were mostly Hindus and Sunni Muslims. With the help of the Police Commissioner, a case was lodged against a group of Bohras who had attacked my house when I was in the prison lock-up, and eight of them were arrested. But I was not satisfied with this measure and lodged a writ petition in the High Court against the policemen and the Bohras who had assaulted me. I complained about how the police had refused to lodge a case of rioting against the Bohras, and, instead, had kept me locked up in jail. Some policemen came to me and asked me for mercy but I refused. If I relented, I thought, how would these people, who are paid to help the victims of those who violate the law, learn that they cannot refuse to abide by their duty?

Soon, my case was heard in the High Court, which ruled in my favour and came down heavily on the Bohra rioters and the police. By now things had become so tense that I knew that some enraged Bohra could easily kill me, and so the court ordered that I be given police protection 24 hours a day. And so, two armed police men were given to me, who accompanied me wherever I went. This carried on till 2006.

In 1998, the Rotary Club of Surat decided to hold a function to honour me for my struggle against the tyrannical Bohra establishment. They announced the event in the newspapers. As soon as the Bohras of Surat heard about it, they arrived in a huge horde outside the Rotary Club and began shouting slogans against me and the Club's decision to honour me. The men who run that Club got scared on seeing them, and so, just a day before the event was to be held, they told me that they had called it off. When my colleagues in the Surat District Mahila Sangh heard of this, they were enraged. They went to the Club and told the men there, 'You have dishonored and insulted Zehra, although you had announced you would honour her!' The next day the news was splashed in the papers. But we did not stop at that. Through a lawyer, we
sent a notice to the Rotary Club saying, 'If you don't apologise within three days, we will lodge a defamation case against you.' The Club folks got nervous, and they asked me to forgive them. 'We will never do this sort of thing again with any woman,' they promised. I told them, 'We accept your apology, but you must issue an advertisement in the press to this effect, and you must also add that the orthodox Bohras forced you to cancel the programme.'

The advertisement came out in three newspapers-it must have cost the Club a lot of money!-but we women were glad. After all, we did all this not so that I could salvage my name but so that organizations like the Rotary Club would learn not to cave in to the pressure of reactionaries and that they would stand up for justice, which they claim they are committed to.

Because I had taken on the Syedna's henchmen, the police and influential organizations like the Rotary Club for siding with the tyrannical Bohra establishment, many newspapers had reported about me. This further incensed the Syedna's blind supporters. One of them, a certain Mustafa Dodia, tried to trap me. Later, it was discovered, he had been paid by the Syedna's men to do this. One day, he lodged a false complaint against me in a police station, claiming that I had tried to kill him. He got together a group of Bohras and they went on hunger-strike outside the police station, demanding my arrest and the removal of the police protection that the court had granted me. I was not one to take this lying down, of course. I reacted by lodging a complaint in the police station against Dodia, alleging that he had demanded the removal of police protection so that he could kill me. His demand, I added, was tantamount contempt of the orders of the court, for the court had ordered that I should receive police protection. Finally, Dodia was forced to withdraw his false complaint.

The crime branch investigated his complaints against me and found them to be completely concocted. Initially, I was the only Bohra in Surat to speak out against the tyranny of the Syedna and his men. I had no idea that there were other Bohras, in other cities, even in other countries, who were fed up of the extortion and the corrupt dictatorship of the Syedna and his family in the name of Islam, and who were agitating against all of this. Slowly, I came in touch with these reformists. News of my struggle reached them and they contacted me. They were inspired by my lone battle, and felt that I had something to tell other Bohras, to teach them that standing up for truth, for values, for principles was true surrender to God, and that the supine surrender to a corrupt priesthood, which the Syedna insists on in the name of Islam, was its complete contradiction. In 2001, a group of reformist Bohras invited me to Canada to speak on my life, and to help galvanise the Bohra reformist movement in the West, where a number of Bohras live. In 2005, I was invited to an international convention of reformist Bohras in Birmingham, England, where my biography, titled One Against All, written by the noted Bohra reformist Yunus Bhai Baluwala, was released. In the same year, I insisted that the reformist Bohras of India organize a convention in Surat, which is where the major Bohra madrasa is located. Some people were scared to do this in the very den of the Syedna, as it were, fearing that they would be attacked by the Syedna's cronies, but we went ahead and it was quite a success!

I began my struggle and my public life in the Saif Cooperative Society in Surat, and I still work there, now as its manager. Our business has expanded considerably over the years. And, I must say, despite the torrent of hatred that has been directed against me all these years, many Bohras who refuse to countenance any criticism of the Syedna now come to me with requests for loans. Although I am still officially ex-communicated from the Bohra fold, many Bohras come to my office to see me. They cannot invite me to their homes on family functions, of course, because of the Syedna's orders. My brothers and sisters, too, cannot meet me. If they dare too, they stand the risk of being ex-communicated.

I keep attending reformist Bohra conferences wherever they are held. I am also invited by secular women's groups to speak, and in this way I have had the chance to travel to various parts of India. Hindu and Sunni Muslim groups also invite me to their meetings, and I am grateful to them for their support. Wherever I go, I talk of the central role of women in promoting reform and resisting tyranny in the name of religion, which is an affront to true spirituality. I also keep stressing the need for communal harmony. From my own personal experiences, not from reading fat books, I know how deeply inter-related patriarchy, communalism, violence and priestly tyranny are.

I owe a lot to my mother, who stood firmly by me when I was ex-communicated. For that, she was thrown out of the community herself, but she refused to budge. She kept insisting, 'Zehra! Never cave in to tyranny. Keep your head high. This is what God wants.' Some Bohras from Surat, blind followers of the Syedna, offered me 50 lakh rupees if I issued an 'apology' to the Syedna, and even said that this would enable me to rejoin the Bohra fold. I remembered what my mother always told me and said to them, 'I will never do that, no matter how much money you offer as a bribe. I know that by offering me money you want me to shut my mouth, to stop speaking out against the tyranny of the priests, to stop the Bohra reform movement.' Had I accepted their offer, my reputation as someone who has always stood for certain
principles would have been in tatters and people would then say, 'Zehra has sold herself for money.' But since I have never cowed down to their threats and blandishments, I can, as my mother always told me to, hold my head high, and so, after I leave this world, people can say, 'There was a Bohra girl called Zehra who shook the Bohra community and dared to challenge the tyrants within it.'

In memory of my brave mother, and as a small token of appreciation for all that she stood for, recently I set up a charitable trust in her name. The trust has five trustees-a Hindu, a Sunni and three reformist Bohras. The trust offers modest financial assistance to the needy. We dream of doing many things in the future, one of them being to establish a common graveyard for people of all religions and communities so that people who are tormented and oppressed by their religious leaders, like my mother was, can find a final resting place there.

Sometimes, people ask me, 'If the Syedna and his henchmen are such tyrants, why do you reformist Bohras not convert to another religion or to another Muslim sect? Why do you insist on remaining Daudi Bohras?' I reply to them, saying, 'This is precisely what the Syedna wants, because if we reformists quit the Bohra fold, he will be able to rule just as he pleases, without any opposition whatsoever!' That is why I insist we must remain within the Bohra fold and continue to struggle for our rights, for true internal democracy. I think Islam, if correctly understood, tells us that this is precisely what we should do.

I have lived a long life of struggle. I have had to face terrible odds. All through, it was not desire for personal revenge or power that goaded me to take on the Bohra establishment, but an irrepressible commitment to justice. That is something basic, or ought to be, to all human beings. I simply cannot compromise on this. Some people may say that I was too obstinate or even vindictive, that I should have compromised instead of taking people to court, staging demonstrations, and lodging police complaints. But I tell them, 'If we keep quiet and cave in, tyrants will continue to play with our lives. Surely, speaking up against tyranny is a fundamental duty and right, is it not? Surely this is what Islam, properly understood, should inspire us to do.'

And this is what the Bohra reformist movement is doing. The reformists are appealing to the world to see the trickery behind the 'pious' exterior of the Syedna and his cronies, who are misusing and misinterpreting religion to extort money from the Bohras and enforce a stultifying form of slavery on them, on their bodies and minds, all in the hallowed name of Islam. This is how the Syedna and his family have become among the richest in all of India. Anyone who dares to speak out against this tyranny is automatically thrown out of the community.

I appeal to the Government, political parties, intellectuals and social activists, and to people in general to see through this charade of the Syedna and his cronies, who have been twisting Islam in order to promote their own interests. I ask them to stop supporting and patronizing these men. The Syedna turns 100 this year, and hectic activities are underway to celebrate his centenary. A lot of public functions will be held to project him as a truly 'pious' man and a 'popular' religious leader. I appeal to people to listen to my voice, to the voice of a Bohra woman who has seen through and struggled against the tyranny of the Bohra establishment for decades, not to fall prey to this nefarious propaganda.

A regular columnist for NewAgeIslam.com, Yoginder Sikand works with the Centre for the Study of Social Exclusion at the National Law School, Bangalore.

fustrate_Bohra

Unread post by fustrate_Bohra » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:24 am

A BIG SALUTE to this BRAVE lady, made me feel very encourage and motivated.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:42 am

Zehra Cyclewala's protest against Dawat Trust for an attempt to close down two public thoroughfares near Devdi
Dawat Property Trust since long is trying to own and close down the two public thoroughfares near Devdi Mubarak in Zapa Bazar Surat and use them for personal gain. These usurpers in religious garb have been plundering the community and public properties. During Congress rule in Gujarat in 1987 they had tried to strike this deal but could not succeed due to public opposition. The social activist and Bohra reformist, Zehra Ben Cyclewala had staged a protest Dharna in front of gate of Surat Municipal Corporation. Surat Zilla Mahila Sang, Satya Sodhak Samaj and especially BJP had whole-heartedly supported her. BJP had supported because the said public thoroughfares are mainly used by the nearby members of Rana Samaj who are supporters of BJP.
It is now election time and BJP has been taken for a ride by the promise of Bohra votes. On the other side Mufaddal Bhaisaheb who is forcefully projecting himself as rightful 53rd Dai needs BJP’s political support and he wants to show to the community that he is Almighty and can make impossible possible. The real reason behind Mufaddal Bhaisaheb’s meetings with Hindutva big guns like Narendra Modi, Baba Ramdev, Uday Thakery is now coming in open.
The issue of 53rd Dai is yet not resolved and with that the issue of “Sole-Trusteeship” of the community’s properties is still hanging as co-claimant Khuzema Bhaisaheb has claimed in writing that he is 53rd Dai and hence “sole-Trustee”. He has placed his claims in writing to Charity Commissioners and Wakf Boards. Mufaddal Bhaisaheb is unethically imposing himself on the community as he has entire administrative machinery and huge amassed wealth in his control, he is forcing Bohras all over to give him misaq and sign on memoranda to be given to local government administrators. According to faith, tradition and tenets of Dawoodi Bohra religion, is not acceptable.
Bohra properties and trusts are in charge of Charity Commissioners and Waqf boards. Under charity and waqf laws no one has right to sale, dispose off and alter the properties without their permission. But in the present dealing Dawat trust has given up 2134 sq. meter land of a Bohra cemetery situated at Surat Nausari bazar to Municipality to construct a bridge in exchange to handing over two public thoroughfares near Devdi to Dawat trust for its personal use.
But this time BJP has become the partner in Dawat trust’s crime. The BJP corporaters accepted a deal by Dawat Trust from backdoor. It has created big stir in Rama Samaj and they have decided to fight it back.
This underhand dealing between BJP and Dawat trust came in light through media. Gujarat is under BJP rule and members of Rana Samaj, the main users of public thoroughfares in question are BJP supporters, hence it was not likely that they would object municipality’s decision. But before any one raises the issue Zehra Ben Cyclewala immediately took up the matter with municipal commissioner, police commissioner and the collector of Surat. She rightly stated that right now the Bohra community is headless and no one has right to sale, dispose or make any alteration in the community’s properties. Through RTI she has also asked municipality about its decision and charity commissioner about the standing of Dawat trust.
Local BJP is in a fix as they have played with a very sensitive issue. If they don’t act on its decision they fear that they might loose Bohra votes and if they do then they might loose the support of the agitating Rana Samaj.

monginis

Unread post by monginis » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:45 am

Just behind surat main masjid, there is daru kaa adda, it becomes really hard for namazis to pass from that area, specially for women.
these daru kaa addas are run by these Rana samaj.

so I am not sure why she is fighting for this cause, if they close this thoroughfares it will become safe for muslims and other normal people.

my advice to Zehra cycle wala,

fight for good authentic reasons, fighting for fame wont work, and it wont be appreciated by any one.

monginis

Unread post by monginis » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:07 am

Normally kothar dont do any thing for interest of people, but I think closing this thoroughfares is a good step towards safety of bohras and also residents of that area.

Zehra ben should pick some good subject, not this one.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue May 27, 2014 4:09 pm

watsup msg :-

Retired Asst Police Inspector M.G. Kaneria sahib ye 1991 ma Zehraben Cyclewala na mother Fuliben Cyclewala guzri gaya hata te samay Dawoodi Bohra Qabrastan ma dafnawa ma Surat ni Jamat committee ye manai farmaveli hati. Te samay Kaneria sahib ye Zehraben ne madad kari hati to aaje 25.5.2014 divas e Fuliben and Zehraben Cyclewala Charitable Trust taraf thi Ahmedabad na prakhyat reformist and gandhiwadi Taiyabbhai Zamindar na haste shawl odhavi public samman kari Zehraben ye temnu rune utaaryu hatu.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x7 ... 2/2tov.jpg[/img]

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x7 ... 6/e5iy.jpg[/img]

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x7 ... 5/vq1s.jpg[/img]

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:29 pm

Zehra Cyclewala: Taking on the high and mighty

by Shaukat Ajmeri●November 24, 2014

Tell the auto rickshaw driver to drop you off at the Red Tower in Zampa Bazar, that is the only tower in Surat, he will know, she said. Fifteen minutes later I arrived in a busy street swarming with people and traffic, a typical late-morning rush of any mid-sized Indian city. There she was, standing across the street: A bespectacled middle-age woman wearing a cotton shalwar-kameez. We greeted, and made small talk as we took a short walk to her house through the narrow, claustrophobic lanes.

Is this is your first time in Surat, she asked. In a way yes, I said. I had come ages ago to attend a youth camp but had no memory of the city. Her house in Saifee Mohalla was just two houses down Burhani masjid. It was an ordinary, non-descript building but might as well have been a fort, a fortress amid the enemy territory. Who could have guessed that under its roof a rebellion is being nurtured for almost 30 years.

A policeman armed with a gun sits in a plastic chair at the entrance to the building. He gets up as we approach. I requested the High Court to provide me with police protection for these 10-12 days of Moharrum, she said. With Muffadal sahib in town and hordes of Bohras coming down here, I feared for my safety. You know, she said, I’ve a standing order from the High Court, I can ask for police protection anytime I want. She passed this information matter-of-factly, without trying to impress. She didn’t need to. For her police matters, legal battles and working through the tangle of Indian bureaucracy had become part of her life. Like paying electricity bills or getting a plumber to a fix a leaking tap.

An ordinary, non-descript woman who could have lived a normal life of work and quiet domesticity was today a symbol of courage and tenacity. An outlier among Bohras known for their docility and submissiveness. She is, of course, Zehra Cyclewala: a rebel, a soldier, a one-woman-army who time and again has rubbed the nose of the crusty Bohra clergy in the mud. And lived, rather thrived, to tell the tale. I had met Zehraben before a couple times at conferences but had known her largely by reputation. There is nary a Bohra in Surat, or elsewhere for that matter, who has not heard of her.

She makes little of the legend she is. I did not choose to be this way, she said. We were a poor family from Saat Gaam, where education for the girls was unheard of. But my parents wanted me to have an education. I was the first college graduate from my village. But years before, before I was born, my father came to Surat and opened a cycle repair shop. I was born here in Surat. This building, she said pointing to her house, was built in 1955. We have lived here ever since. After the untimely death of my father, it’s my mother who has been my support, my inspiration.

Life was good and simple until 1985, she continued. After I finished BCom, I got a job in Saif Co-operative Society and I used to give private tuitions to Bohra students. All I wanted to do then, said Zehraben, is to make money, lots of money. But in 1985 came the fatwa from the mullahs that interest is haram. Bohras were asked to quit bank jobs. They asked to me to quit also, but I said I cannot. Who is going to feed me and my mother, I asked. They had no answer. Besides, I asked, it is Sayedna sahib who inaugurated this Society 20 years ago. Didn’t he know about interest then? I also reminded them that Dawat buildings are being rented out to banks, and the jamat earns haram interest income from them. They said you talk too much, and declared baraat on me.

That marked the beginning of Zehraben’s battle with the clergy. She and her mother were ex-communicated. The Bohra mohalla was the only world they had known, and now suddenly it was withdrawn from them. Friends and relatives and neighbours fell away. The lives and relationships they had built around them froze overnight, as if an evil wind blew over them while they slept. They woke up to an alien, hostile world. When mother and daughter went out people spat on them. She lost her tuition students and thereby her meagre extra income.

Those were trying times, she said. For a number of years we just managed with one meal a day. I did not know that I had the courage in me to bear that kind humiliation and harassment. But I had the support of my mother. She was unflinching to the end. She said, don’t give in to these crooks. Now everybody knows about my legal victories. But in those early days I was alone, fighting a lonely battle in this obscure corner of Surat.

My old mother and I on one side, and the mighty Kothar on the other: The fight could not have been more unequal. But you have to understand, she said, I was not driven by any grand notion of justice or truth or any of those fancy ideals. For me it was just a fight for livelihood. But as my struggle continued this fight expanded into a larger social issue. I realised that is not just a question of my job, but of my human rights, of women’s rights.

Of course, we had the support of reformist friends like the Kinkhabwala family here and Saifuddin Insaf and Yunus Baluwala in Mumbai. But for the most part I was on my own in those early years, she said. As I started winning cases I gained confidence, and I reached out and joined hands with other groups fighting against injustices. They supported me and I supported them. Today, she added, I just have to make a phone call and hundreds will gather here in my support. When I go the police station, they know I mean business. There was a time when the police roughed me up, and put me in the lockup for no good reason, but now they know better. I have learned the inner workings of the courts, know the law and have a good handle on my rights and the rights of citizens.

From those tentative and frightful years Zehra Cyclewala has a come a long way. The people who spat on her once now pat her on the back. As we stand in the street outside her building, Bohras pass by and say salaams to her: Zehraben, kem chho. A young Bohra man comes by and chats with the policeman, asks him about the gun, wants to touch it. He wants to take it in his hands and feel the heft of it. And the policeman foolishly lets him. I cringe as the man toys with the gun – the image of a Taliban with a Kalashnikov flashes in my mind.

It is Ashura day, 12 noon, a bright warm November day. The masjid next door is packed, through the doors and windows white-clad men and rida-clad women can been seen. The voice of Mufaddal Saifuddin over the PA system ricochets against close-set buildings and breaks apart amid the nearly abandoned streets of Zampa Bazar. The staccato style of his delivery, the sharp, short bursts belie the solemnity of the Ashura bayan. Instead of pathos one detects anger and admonition in his tone.

Zehraben and I with the armed policeman in tow (the gun safely back with him) walk towards the main mohlla. Let me show you around, she says. Further down, the street opens up to a square of sorts where all other streets converge. At the far end on the right is another masjid, probably Mufaddal Saifuddin is presiding over the majlis in there. Bohra men spill out on to the street: standing, squatting in front of shuttered shops, idly listening to the bayan which fills the air. The streets are quiet, the sun overhead sharp, and the three of us are perhaps the only people moving. All eyes follow us. The scene is not dissimilar to a Western movie where the cowboy and his sidekick stray into an enemy village, there is an eerie silence and villagers, agog with anticipation, wait on edge for bullets to fly.

I half expect to hear a Western tune and almost look to the sky to find the mandatory eagle hovering there. Zehraben nudges me, they must all be wondering what I’m up to now. She points to me the various landmarks in the area. Says this is the rear part of Jamea Saifia, the Bohra seminary. Yusuf Najumuddin, whose notoriety is part of Bohra folklore, is believed to have turned this august seat of learning into a centre of indoctrination. Graduates from here spread across the Bohra universe, controlling the Bohra mind and justifying a corrupt, retrograde system.

I take out my camera to take pictures. Yes, go ahead, she says. She too starts clicking with her mobile phone. We come under a bridge that connects the masjid with the building across the street. This bridge is built illegally, she says, for Mufaddal sahib. He cannot cross the street, apparently. We had filed a complaint to the city, but nothing came of it. These people have the money, they can do anything, she adds.

Further ahead as we turn a corner, she points to the barricaded narrow street along the masjid. You know, she says, they wanted to buy off this whole street. But this is public space, as it is things are congested here, how can they just buy it and turn it into a private property? We brought an injunction and stopped the sale, she says. But we don’t know for how long we can hold out.

We continued our tour, stopping every now and then, taking pictures and Zehraben enlightening me about this and that. As I walk with her and listen to her, I cannot but marvel at her courage. How she can walk into the lion’s lair, as it were, and all the king’s men with all the king’s presitige and money at their disposal can’t even touch her. On the contrary, they now look upon her with a mixture of awe and fawning reverence – so typical of powerless, defeated people.

On our way back, as we pass again under the “illegal” bridge, outside the main entrance to the masjid we stop by mounds of green coconuts sprawling under a tent. A large burly man who is apparently in charge greets Zehraben. Kem chho, he says. He asks a worker to give us all a drink of coconut water. Zheraben refuses saying she has diabetes. The police guy and I accept. I drink quickly and gratefully. Although I was a stranger I found it odd, and I must confess a slightly unsettling, to be there. This was Surat, Zampa Bazar, the Jamea was only a stone’s throw away. This was the stronghold of Bohra orthodoxy. The thundering condemnation of reformists by Mufaddal sahib on his last visit to Udaipur was fresh in my mind. I wasn’t sure if any reformist other than Zehraben was as welcome here. I wanted to beat a hasty retreat; after all, the armed guard was not obligated to protect me.

Later in her house, she said to me that that burly man was the brother-in-law of Badri Lacewala - the local kingpin who had supposedly sponsored the whole Moharrum “tamasha”. The previous evening I had met a friend, Ghulam Rasool (not his real name), who is on the inside but whose mind and spirit bristle with rebellion. He took me around Zampa Bazar and the atmosphere there was in complete contrast to what we found on Ashura afternoon. The place was teeming with people – a sea of Bohras, men and women, jamming the streets. Road side stalls and restaurants were doing brisk business. People chatting, eating, guffawing and ostensibly having a good time. A hum wafted up from the crowds into the night sky. After the rigours of waaz and maatam, the evenings were a like catharsis of sorts for them. Most of these people were outsiders who had travelled from far and wide answering the call of Maula, following him year after year wherever he went for Ashara.

Moharrum may well be about Imam Hussain and his sacrifice, but the economy of Bohra Moharrum is far removed from the tragedy of Karbala. Getting Maula to choose your city for Ashara Mubarak is akin to winning a lottery. For 10-15 days the economy of the lucky city skyrockets. In Surat hotels were full and every private room/flat was snapped up. Rickshaw drivers had jacked up their fares, and business in Zampa Bazar and nearby malls was roaring. Local Muslim men in the mohalla were recruited to control the crowds and traffic. The disruption to normal life and routine of locals was more than compensated by the boost in the economy. Police were all around keeping an eye on the goings-on.

Ghulam Rasool informed me how local Bohra businessmen were cashing in on the logistics of catering to close to a hundred thousand people. They claim that three hundred thousand have come, but that’s nonsense, he said. People have made crores by just supplying mattresses, he said, so you can imagine how much is to be made in all the rest of the stuff.

Mufaddal sahib, he said, had paid Rs100 crores to Modi to help facilitate this “tamasha”. Ghulam Rasool had many such inside stories to tell, and had a flair for telling them. He said that Badri Lacewala is the man who was in the pheta and cream sherwani seated in front of the Cinderella air-conditioned buggy in which Mufaddal Saifuddin made the grand entry into Surat. This is how our Dai came, with pomp and show, to commemorate Moharrum, he said disapprovingly. Bohras had lined up the streets to greet him with folded hands and the shouts of Maula, Maula. It might as well have been a court of an emperor returning from battle, triumphant and regal.

Ghulam Rasool prefaced his stories with caution, emphasising their apocryphal nature. I could tell you a lot of things, he added. I could tell you that Mufaddal sahib gave Rs300 crores to Modi for his election effort. I could tell you that Lacewala has bought the revolving hotel, still under construction, opposite the Dai’s bungalow for Muffadal sahib. I could tell you that this man Iliyas Railwaywala, perhaps the richest man in Surat, who lends money on interest, is collaborating with Quaid Joher Bhaisaheb on some construction project. I could tell you that Lacewala is the front man of Mufaddal sahib, laundering his black money. I could tell you all this and a lot more but the thing is I can’t provide hard evidence for it, for obvious reasons. The wheeling and dealing happens behind closed door, he said. But I become privy to them, I’ve my sources. Ordinary Bohras, he said, have no idea what happens behind their backs, and often, in their name.

As we drink tea at a tea stall in the heart of Zampa Bazar, Ghulam Rasool points out to the crowd and the mood of gaiety that hangs over them. Does it look they are here for Moharrum, he asks. The question is rhetorical, but the answer seemed obvious. Zehraben made a similar comment the following day. She had one word for Bohras, gandas (fools). However, she reserves a special contempt for Mufaddal sahib. He’s not even a 5th grader, she said. She related the drama of her encounter with him some years ago. This was the time when Sayedna Mohammed Burhanuddin was alive, and Mufaddal sahib was not yet anointed the Mansoos.

I was summoned to the Dai’s bungalow, Mufaddal sahib was holding court, with many people present. He said forget everything and come back to the fold. I said how can I come back just like that, after all the suffering and atrocities you people have inflicted on me. I told him that in Godhra I had protested against Sayedna with a black flag so that he can know about my suffering. Muffadal got angry. Sayedna sahib will hold your hand and lead you to the gates of heaven. But you, he raged, you showed black flags to Maula, you will burn in the fires of hell.

I said, bhaisaheb, you have no right to talk about jannat, you have harassed so many hapless women like me, you stop burials of people, you have taken zakat money, you live a life of luxury, hold celebrations and squander community’s money, who do you think will take you to jannat. People go to jannat because of their amaal, good deeds. I don’t need you or your rukku chitthi. The question is, whether you will go to jannat or not, I said.

The moment I said that there was uproar. To say such a thing in their midst was like uttering blasphemy. Nobody in the community must have ever dared to say such a thing to him. He said, you talk too much, get out. I said, you called me here to talk. I didn’t come here begging to be taken back. You are talking about black flags, now see the next time Sayedna comes here, I will show black flags again in front of this bungalow, and go on a hunger strike. That is my challenge to you.

Then you know what he said? He said, only if you are alive till then. He threatened me, in public. I said, we shall see, only time will tell.

She explained that the point of the hunger strike was this: All these years I have been told that the atrocities against me is the work of these lower-level people, the hangers-on and chamchas. I thought to myself, fine if this is the case then Sayedna must know what is happening under his nose. The best way to draw his attention is to make a public demonstration in front of his house. Later when Sayedna came to Surat she went on hunger strike as promised. The detail of that protest, attendant with drama and spunk as expected of Zehraben, is another chapter in itself.

Her Bohra neighbours and friends have grudgingly come to accept her, and respect her. Most of them now openly talk to her, especially after she successfully challenged the local jamat that as a Dawoodi Bohra she has the right to pray in the adjoining Bohra masjid, and that she has the right to do so without rida. Last Ramzan she made good on her challenge and went and prayed without rida, with the media and police in attendance. The jamat could do nothing. My Bohra friends now say, she said, if they can’t stop you from coming to the masjid then how can they stop us from talking to you?

That story was all over the media, the gist of it pithily captured in the headline: Zehraben takes 28 years to take 28 steps to the mosque. There is as much triumph in it for Zehraben as there is shame for the community. How can a community which prides itself in being peaceful and whose leader claims to be the ambassador of peace, gang up against a woman and hound and harass her at every turn? And yet, and yet despite everything she comes up triumphant again and again, like the legendary phoenix rising from the ashes.

She becomes teary-eyed talking about her mother. After her passing, she has become alone, if not lonely. I ask her why didn’t she marry. She says, I would have liked to but I’m living under the shadow of social boycott all my adult life. Which Bohra man in Surat would have had the guts to marry me? Marrying outside the community or outside of Surat was not an option, too many compromises. Also, she adds, I love the independence and freedom I’ve come to have. I will not trade them for anything. I have friends among Muslims and Hindus that I have made through my activism. I enjoy life, go to the movies. And I absolutely love food. I love to eat. You know, Surat is the home to so many delicacies. They say, Surat nu jaman, ane Kaashi nu maran (Surat is the place to eat, and Kaashi to die).

The picture of her mother hangs from the wall above the window. In one corner on the table are framed pictures of the various awards and honours she has received. In the other corner is the obligatory steel cupboard. Her one-room flat speaks of a simple, Spartan life. As I look around I see no sign, no marker that could hold the secret of her incredible journey. But then true grit does not come dressed up, accompanied by fanfare. Who is to say what extraordinary courage lies hidden in a human heart, and when destiny will come calling to pry it out. Life threw challenges at Zehra Cyclewala and she proved equal to them. What immense satisfaction it must give her that she did not bend. She did not break.

As I sit pondering, a cute five-year-old boy comes running through the door, bawling and crying, and finds refuge in her arms. Mummy is beating me, he yelps. Zehraben calms him down. My upstairs neighbour’s son, she says apologetically. I can’t help wondering if only she had found refuge when they came after her. As if reading my thoughts, she says, I can never tire of telling my story. It is also on YouTube, you must check it out. The number of hits for my video is double than Asghar Ali Engineer’s video, she says, beaming with pride.

FOR ARTICLE WITH PICTURES :-

http://dawoodi-bohras.com/news/2309/107 ... e_comment/

bohri

Unread post by bohri » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Shaukat - thank you for telling this inspiring story of Zehraben. I was lucky enough to meet her a few years ago and like you was awed by her bravery.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 pm

very well written and emotively expressed !

she is a living example of superhuman courage in a community of [DELETED]. also proves that the [DELETED] clergy will back down when confronted with firmness and daring.

my confrontations with these [DELETED]are nowhere near the epic scale on which she has taken on these thugs, but everytime i adopted an attitude and approach of devil-may-care daring and reverse intimidation without flinching from their goonda tactics, they backed down. the kothar are nothing but a bunch of bullies, their arrogance and power fuelled by money and political connections. you talk to them in their language, adopt their own strategy and threaten to expose them and fight them tooth and nail and then see how they turn into pussy cats, suddenly taking a conciliatory approach, fawning all over you like a greasy snake-oil salesman.

New

Unread post by New » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:21 pm

I am in 100% agreement with her principles and courageous work. How do I salute her? By stating that I would not have done anything close to what she has done. I am a chicken abde. There is no any other kind. Very very hard to stand against them.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:15 pm

ટ્રસ્ટના નામે મહાપાલિકા પાસે જમીન પડાવવા બોગસ દસ્તાવેજનો ઉપયોગ

ઝાંપાબજાર દેવડી ખાતે સાંકડી શેરી બિલાલ ગલીમાં જાહેર રસ્તો પાલિકા પાસેથી દાવત ટ્રસ્ટ માટે માંગી લેવાના મામલે ટ્રસ્ટના ખોટા દસ્તાવેજોનો ઉપયોગ કરાયાના આક્ષેપ સાથે પોલીસ કમિશનરને અરજી થઈ છે. ટ્રસ્ટના બોગસ લેટરપેડનો ઉપયોગ થયો હોવાથી પોલીસ કાર્યવાહીની માંગણી પણ થઈ છે.

પાલિકા પાસેથી સાંકડી શેરી ખાતે જાહેર માર્ગ પર માત્ર દ્વિચક્રી વાહનો પસાર થતા હોવાથી ફિરોઝ કિનખાબવાલાએ પાલિકાને દાવત પ્રોપર્ટી ટ્રસ્ટના નામે અરજી કરી હતી કે, જાહેર માર્ગ દાવત ટ્રસ્ટને સોંપી તેનો ઉપયોગ ટ્રસ્ટ હસ્તક કરવામાં આવે. સ્થાયી સમિતિએ પત્રના આધારે ઠરાવ કરી સામાન્ય સભાની મંજુરી માટે મોકલી આપ્યો હતો.

જોકે, સામાજીક કાર્યકર ઝેહરાબેન સાયકલવાલાએ વાતનો વિરોધ કરીને મામલાને હાઇકોર્ટમાં પડકારતા એવો સવાલ કર્યો હતો કે, જાહેર મિલકત છે અને તેને ખાનગી ટ્રસ્ટને સોંપવામાં આવે તેની સામે તેમનો વાંધો છે. પાલિકાએ જાહેરનામું પ્રસિધ્ધ કર્યા વગર કે વાંધા મંગાવ્યા વગર નિર્ણયની તૈયારી કરી છે. પાલિકાના એડવોકેટે પ્રોસેસ તેમના દ્વારા કરાશે એવી રજૂઆત કોર્ટમાં કરી હતી. ઝેહરાબેનને પાલિકામાંથી આરટીઆઇ હેઠળ જે કોપી મળી હતી તેમાં અરજદાર ફિરોઝ કિનખાબવાલા હતા અને તેમણે દાવત પ્રોપર્ટી ટ્રસ્ટના લેટરપેડનો ઉપયોગ કર્યો હતો તેમાં રજિસ્ટ્રેશન નંબર ખોટો લખેલો હતો અને તેના ચેરમેન સૈયદ રબ્બાની છે તેમણે ટ્રસ્ટના વહીવટ માટે 4 મેનેજર નિમ્યા છે. તેમની સહી અરજીમાં નથી. એવું ઝોહરાબેનનું કહેવું હતું.

દાવત પ્રોપર્ટીટ્રસ્ટના નામે મેં અરજી કરી છે પરંતુ મેં ધર્મના કામ માટે અરજી કરી છે. હું 75 વર્ષનો સીનીયર સિટીઝન છું મારે આવુ શું કામ કરવુ જોઇએ. મામલે હું ચોક્કસ કહી શકુ કે મેં કોઇ ખોટું કામ કર્યુ નથી. ફિરોઝ કિનખાબવાલા

મેં કોઇ ખોટું કામ કર્યું નથી

http://www.divyabhaskar.co.in/news/DGUJ ... 0-NOR.html

ટ્રસ્ટના નામે મહાપાલિકા પાસે જમીન પડાવવા બોગસ દસ્તાવેજનો ઉપય

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:18 pm

Zehra Cyclewala Files Police Complaint against Dawat Trust for trying to grab Public Property (Road) from Surat Municipal Corporation by filing Bogus Documents.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:47 pm

ghulam muhammed wrote: Zehra Cyclewala Files Police Complaint against Dawat Trust for trying to grab Public Property (Road) from Surat Municipal Corporation by filing Bogus Documents.

In English for benefit of viewers :-

TRUST NA NAAME MAHAPALIKA PAASE ZAMIN PADAAV VA BOGUS DASTAAVEJ NO UPYOG.

Zampa Bazar Devdi khaate saankdi sheri bilal gali ma jaaher rasto palika paase thi Dawat Trust maate maangi levaana maamle Trust na khota dastaavejo no upyog karaayya na aakshep saathe Police Commissioner ne arji thai chhe. Trust na Bogus letter pad no upyog thayo hova thi police kaaryya vaahi ni maangni pan thai chhe.

Palika paase thi saankdi sheri khaate jaaher marg par maatra dviykri vahaano pasaar thata hova thi Firoz Kinkhabwala e Palika ne Dawat property Trust na naame arji kari hati ke, jaaher maarg Dawat Trust ne sopi teno upyog Trust hastak karva ma aave. Sthaayi samiti ye patra na aadhar e tharaav kari saamanya sabha ni manjuri maate mokli aapyo hato.

Jo ke, samajik kaaryakar Zehraben Cyclewala ye vaat no virodh kari ne maamla ne High Court ma padkaarta evo sawaal karyo hato ke, jaaher milkat chhe ane tene khaangi Trust ne sopva ma aave teni same temno vaandho chhe. Palika ye jaaher naamu prasidh karya vagar ke vaandha mangaavya vagar nirnay ni tayyaari kari chhe. Palika na advocate process temna dwaara kara she evi rajuwaat court ma kari hati. Zehraben ne palika ma thi RTI hetal je copy mali hati tema arazdaar Firoz Kinkhabwala hata ane temne Dawat Property Trust na letter pad no upyog karyo hato tema registration number khoto lakhelo hato ane tena chairman sayed rabbani chhe temne Trust na vahivat maate 4 manager nimyaa chhe. Temni sahi arzi ma nathi. Evu Zehraben nu kehvu hatu.

Dawat Properties na naame me arzi kari chhe parantu me dharm na kaam maate arzi kari chhe. Hu 75 varas no senior citizen chhu maare aavu shu kaam karvu joiye. Maamle hu chokkas kahi shaku ke me koi khotu kaam karyu nathi. Firoz kinkhabwala.

Me koi khotu kaam karyu nathi.

fustrate_Bohra

Unread post by fustrate_Bohra » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:01 am

This is really an eye opener for those who thinks that MS is KHUDA NA BANDA. This so called honest SYEDNA is a fraudster too.

YaHussain

Unread post by YaHussain » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:37 am

hawaldaar for her security doesn't seems enough, she should keep at least 10 more.
Attachments
2014-12-03_11-40_Dawoodi Bohras.jpg

jungle999

Unread post by jungle999 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:17 am

YaHussain hawaldaar for her security doesn't seems enough, she should keep at least 10 more.
Are you burning in your pants seeing her with one hawaldaar ate list she one so you can keep your distance otherwise goondas like you would not leave her alone I say hi hi hi horray

YaHussain

Unread post by YaHussain » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:22 am

jungle999 wrote:[quote="YaHussain hawaldaar for her security doesn't seems enough, she should keep at least 10 more.
Are you burning in your pants seeing her with one hawaldaar ate list she one so you can keep your distance otherwise goondas like you would not leave her alone I say hi hi hi horray
Mr/Mrs Jungli

I dont think she is even a threat for dawat, its useless to even waste time on her.

in fact this whole PDB movement is toothless now.
Attachments
10423960_748725561815204_1455036771540944661_n.jpg

kimanumanu

Unread post by kimanumanu » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:32 am

Why are you posting here?

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:56 am

see
i said b4 YH is an item number of pdb website.
now he himself or herself admitted that by asking u that?
but be alert, they demand lot of money for dancing.

Universaldad

Unread post by Universaldad » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:27 am

jungle999 wrote:
YaHussain hawaldaar for her security doesn't seems enough, she should keep at least 10 more.
That one security guard with his one gun can service that lady very well. I think he is sufficient. 10 security guards will not fit in her small house.

Yes KQ and his progressive toli are a non entity and inconsequential a movement.

If you did not see the Dawoodi Bohra community and its love for their Dai SMS TUS during the Surat Ashara then please do witness the sea of hundreds of thousands of Dawoodi Bohra Mumineen who are the ashiq of SMS TUS , SMB RA and STS RA when the descend upon Mumbai for the 1st Urs of SMB RA.

Also do witness the KQ and Terry Jones toli huddled up in Thana. :D

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:08 am

u can do only that much.
toli jamaa karke shakti pradarshan.
all political parties also do that.
ur same like hundred of political parties swaming india.
u will get mamlukiat but not haq.

Akhtiar Wahid

Unread post by Akhtiar Wahid » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:22 am

Imam Ali (AS) during his entire life time had few hundred followers and from Madina he transferred his Gaadi to Khufa, so does that mean he ran away from Awaal Saani and Salis who had thousands and thousands of followers they had the mimbar and merhab they had the numbers, they still have, but they never have haq.
SKQ saheb is being an example similar to Imam Ali (AS) he has few followers a deserted place but the reason being he wants to keep the Haq alive in the hearts of TRUE ASHIQUES OF IMAM HUSSAIN (AS) AND HIS SECLUDED PROGENY not for dai no.51 or dai no.52
He will inshallah be a role leader for the coming generations of young dawoodi bohras, you old hags like Universaldad and Ya Hussain will never understand this but the young generation will have all the knowledge to know him right.

YaHussain

Unread post by YaHussain » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:28 am

Akhtiar Wahid wrote:Imam Ali (AS) during his entire life time had few hundred followers and from Madina he transferred his Gaadi to Khufa, so does that mean he ran away from Awaal Saani and Salis who had thousands and thousands of followers they had the mimbar and merhab they had the numbers, they still have, but they never have haq.
HAHA

bhai history pehle padhle fir ISLAM pe comment kiyaa kar.

Imam Ali never transferred his gaadi to kufa in regime of awwal , saani saalis, he transffred only when he became Khalifah, and he himself had thousands and thousands of followers already.

Imam Ali lived in madina to protect sunnah of prophet Muhammed(s) all the time until saalis got killed.

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:44 am

YaHussain wrote:hawaldaar for her security doesn't seems enough, she should keep at least 10 more.
Hawaldar is beaming with pride protecting a great lady ...I salute her ...her courage and committment to reform dwarfs mine.

What a personal price she paid...we should never forget such sacrifices .

Can she comment on these forums directly or through an agent...some can be inspired by her mission.

That is a semi automatic ...

mukhtaarhusain

Unread post by mukhtaarhusain » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:21 am

Universaldad wrote:
jungle999 wrote: Are you burning in your pants seeing her with one hawaldaar ate list she one so you can keep your distance otherwise goondas like you would not leave her alone I say hi hi hi horray
That one security guard with his one gun can service that lady very well. I think he is sufficient. 10 security guards will not fit in her small house.

Yes KQ and his progressive toli are a non entity and inconsequential a movement.

If you did not see the Dawoodi Bohra community and its love for their Dai SMS TUS during the Surat Ashara then please do witness the sea of hundreds of thousands of Dawoodi Bohra Mumineen who are the ashiq of SMS TUS , SMB RA and STS RA when the descend upon Mumbai for the 1st Urs of SMB RA.

Also do witness the KQ and Terry Jones toli huddled up in Thana. :D
waise Duniya main Shero ki Taadat kum aur CHUHO ki badh rahi hain..SMS N HIS GANG just wants foolish Abdes to flock where ever they go..by HOOK OR CROOK. .....

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Zehraben Cyclewala addressing a meeting on "Women Empowerment" in Surat.

saminaben

Unread post by saminaben » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:04 pm

This is fantastic. It would be even better to see women in rida and men in STD in the audience. That could be a tornado or hurricane.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Zehraben Cyclewala makes a statement by going to the Roza in Surat alongwith Nasreenben Rajabali of Birmingham and Yunusbhai Baluwala of Mumbai without Rida and Saya/Kurta thereby showing Bohras that there is no need to adhere to the dress code which is imposed upon them forcibly and that one only needs to dress modestly and that no one has the right to prevent them from doing Ziyarat..

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:44 pm

Posted By S. Insaf on 19.1.2010 :-

One more victory for Zehra Cyclewala - Her Police Protection will continue by Order of Gujarat High Court

Ahmedabad: After thriving on the income from interest and loot suddenly an agitation was started in the name of "Interest is prohibited". First against Bohra bank, Bombay Mercantile Co-op. bank Ltd. and then various Bohra institutions transacting in interest. The sword also fell on Surat's The Saif Co-op. Credit & Supply Society". The name itself suggest that it was started by late Sayedna Taher Saifuddin. All the Bohras associated with it resigned but the manager, Zehra Cyclewala refused. So the pressure on her was mounted from all sides. She was harassed, lowered down from her post, physically attack and even goons were hired to kill her. Though she was a Bohra woman, known for cowardness and living alone in the mist of Saifee Mohalla surrounded by Bohras and fanatic mullas. She fought back as described by Indian Express "One against All". She took the help of judiciary and filed various cases against mischief-makers. And registered her victory in the court cases one after another.

In 1998 one Asghar Wadiwala incited a mob and attacked her. Thereafter with order of The Hon. Gujarat High Court she was given round-the-clock police protection for 12 years. Asghar Wadiwala admitted his crime and apologized to Zehra ben and the Hon. High Court on oath in the court. He also gave an undertaking to the Court that hence forward in future he would not insult any woman and will maintain peace in the area. The police personnel of Mahidharpura were found guilty of partician attitude and misbehavior with Zehra ben and were transferred by the Court Order.

Thereafter certain persons in the Gujarat government were influenced by the oppressors and an affidavit was filed by Gujarat Home Deptt. in the Hon. Gujarat High Court demanding the recovery of Rs. 25 lakhs from Zehra Cyclewala spent by the government for providing her round-the-lock police protection for 12 years. Zehra ben personally argued her case in the Court and finally Court pronounced its order stating that, 'according to the Indian Constitution Zehra Cyclewala's life is worth Crores of rupees'. And exempted her from payment provided she withdraws her prayer of cost of writ. She agreed as during the trial period Asghar Wadiwala had died of heart attack. If he was alive he would have to pay the cost of writ along with rupees 25 lakhs to government for causing a volatile situation in which government was required to provide police protection to Zehra ben.

Writ 13212 / 94 was filed in Gujarat High Court in 1994 and the Court gave its final judgment in favour of Zehra ben after 13 years, as under:-
1) the petitioners were victim in real sense and petitioners ought to have been granted police protection immediately so that in future it would be most appropriate for the local Police to rush to rescue of the petitioners being female and having some different opinion than other members of her community.
2) The petitioner has a liberty to produce a copy of this order in the office of the commissioner of Police, Surat city and in case of trouble the petitioners can rush to the nearest Police Station and seek help of the Police to save themselves from mob frenzy her community people.

This judgment is strong slap on the face of arrogant orthodox leaders of Dawoodi Bohra Community and one more victory for Zehra ben and a reward for her courage.

FOLIO : 10 CHARGE : 5 O/12115/2008
Applied on : 29/04/2008 Notified on : 5-5-08 Delivered on : 13/5/08
IN THE HIGH COURT OF GUJARAT AT AHMEDABAD
ORDER PASSED BY THE COURT IN THE CASE OF
SPECIAL CIVIL APPLICATION NO. 13212 of 1994
ZEHRABEN CYCLEWALA & 1 - Petitioner(s)
STATE OF GUJARAT & 7 - Respondent(s)

1.1.0. ZEHRABEN CYCLEWALA - Zapa Bazar, Surat.
1.1.0. STATE OF GUJARAT, Thro' Secretary, Home Deptt. Sachivalaya, Gandhinagar.
2.1.0 DIRECTOR GENERAL & INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE
Ahmedabad - 16
3.1.0 COMMISSIONER OF POLICE - NANPURA, SURAT.
4.1.0 SAJJANSING BHATI - Mahindra Police Station, Surat - 1
5.1.0 G. H. KHAN - Mahindra Police Station, Surat - 1
6.1.0 RAMESHBHAI ZAHARABHAI VADVI - Mahindra Police Station, Surat - 1
7.1.0 ASGARBHAI WADIWALA - Zapa Bazar, Surat.
8.1.0 AMINA FAJLE HUSSEIN RANGWALA - Zapa Bazar, Surat.

Appearance :
MR BHUSHAN B OZA for Petitioner(s) :1
GOVERNMENT PLEADER for Respondent(s) : 1- 6.
RULE SERVED for Respondent(s) : 6
MR AJ SHASTRI for Respondent(s) : 7 - 8
CORAM : HONOURABLE MR. JUSTICE C. K. BUCH