Khak e Shifa, few questions?

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
voice

Khak e Shifa, few questions?

Unread post by voice » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Neither I am Sunni or Shia or Wahabi etc, I am a simple follower of Islam born in Dawoodi Bohra community and it gives me identity of a Bohri Muslim. Regarding the news that qabr of SMB is made with khak e Shifa,

1) can anyone explain to me that it is not Shirk to attribute characteristic of Shifa to dust of Karbala?
2)Is it right to call it Khak e Shifa?
3)Shia keep it in front and place there forehead during sujood while offering prayers, is it right?

humanbeing

Re: Khak e Shifa, few questions?

Unread post by humanbeing » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:31 am

What chemical compound is Khak-e-shifa. I mean, what kind / type of soil is it ? as it is edible ? in my opinion it is “Multaani Mitti” or some sort of clay ?

Is khak-e-shifa is prepared on commercial level ? who prepares them ? what is the average price ?

ARB

Unread post by ARB » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:55 pm

Though we all have our reservations about khak e shifa but from what I know about 3) is that the other Shias place their forehead on it during prayer because of a few hadiths of the Prophet pbuh indicating that salaat should be offered on sand. As it is not always possible to pray on sand, they use a symbolic piece of khakeshifa. I dont think this has anything to do with right or wrong, it just is. Maybe a cultural/traditional aspect. They dont pray to the khakeshifa though, as many sunni propagandists would insist.

It is most probably multani mitti, it so close in colour and taste. Probably more processed and perfumed. As it is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar cheaper to just sell multani mitti rather than exporting tonnes of sand from Iraq.

trvoice

Unread post by trvoice » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:52 pm

voice wrote:Neither I am Sunni or Shia or Wahabi etc, I am a simple follower of Islam born in Dawoodi Bohra community and it gives me identity of a Bohri Muslim. Regarding the news that qabr of SMB is made with khak e Shifa,

1) can anyone explain to me that it is not Shirk to attribute characteristic of Shifa to dust of Karbala?
3)Shia keep it in front and place there forehead during sujood while offering prayers, is it right?
@voice I will try to answer your questions to my best knowledge.

1. No it is not, its what you believe in and whats your faith. You might be right from a wahabi point of view but wrong from a shia point of view. A few places in karbala and najaf are still painted red to keep the memories fresh, of the blood shed and martyrdom of karbala.

2. Again its faith related, zamzam has no special properties or healing properties but its the faith that people sip it during sick and illness. Dying person are given zamzam, some people wash kafan in zamzam to take that barakat with them to the grave and in afterlife. If you dont believe in it then you are absolutely fine, nothing to worry about what others faith is.

3. Yes they do keep it in front of sajda. Plus there are other lots of uses for that khak e shifa pellet. Some shia also use it as a grave markings.

humble_servant_us

Unread post by humble_servant_us » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:13 am

Allah(swt) is the Curer of all Cures. For a headache we take a crocin or a Tylenol. If you think these medicines are independent cause of shifa then we are doing shirk, but the truth is the medicine is a cause or medium through which allah(swt) reflects his attribute of Shifa.

Likewise there are traditions from Imams of ahlulbait where Allah(swt) has made the clay of Imam Husain(as) a medium of shifa for HIS creation. There are also conditions of how to consume and what qty when used as a medicine. So we call the khaak e Husain(as) as Khaak e shifa (the clay which had qualities of shifa).
In Shia fiqh sajdah should be performed on earth, and on those things which are not edible nor worn, and on things which grow from earth (e.g. wood and leaves of trees). It is not permissible to perform Sajdah on things which are used as food or dress (e.g. wheat, barley and cotton etc.), or on things which are not considered to be parts of the earth (e.g. gold, silver, etc.). So shias do sajda on tablets made up of mud.

Clay of Imam husain(as) is very mubarak for Shias (again there are many traditions about its virtues), so it is generally used by shias for sujood.

voice

Unread post by voice » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:02 am

humble_servant_us wrote:
Allah(swt) is the Curer of all Cures. For a headache we take a crocin or a Tylenol. If you think these medicines are independent cause of shifa then we are doing shirk, but the truth is the medicine is a cause or medium through which allah(swt) reflects his attribute of Shifa.

Likewise there are traditions from Imams of ahlulbait where Allah(swt) has made the clay of Imam Husain(as) a medium of shifa for HIS creation. There are also conditions of how to consume and what qty when used as a medicine. So we call the khaak e Husain(as) as Khaak e shifa (the clay which had qualities of shifa).
Please quote and provide authentic reference for such traditions from Imam. I am asking it because common folk are attributing it as an independent cause of shifa which is definitely Shirk.
In Shia fiqh sajdah should be performed on earth, and on those things which are not edible nor worn, and on things which grow from earth (e.g. wood and leaves of trees). It is not permissible to perform Sajdah on things which are used as food or dress (e.g. wheat, barley and cotton etc.), or on things which are not considered to be parts of the earth (e.g. gold, silver, etc.). So shias do sajda on tablets made up of mud.

Clay of Imam husain(as) is very mubarak for Shias (again there are many traditions about its virtues), so it is generally used by shias for sujood.
Its a classic example of "innovation" about which no similar example we find in Quran or Hadees. Ever Prophet Muhammed (saws) used the clay of martyr of Sayyed us shohda Hazrat Hamza (r a) or any other martyr and used it to perform sajdah over it? Brother, I am not Wahabi or Salafi or Sunni but a simple Bohri but I do feel that sectarianism has distorted the basic teachings of Islam.

The way Khak e shifa is used by Muffy camp to exploit the emotions of common Bohra masses, its because of ignorance and silence from people of knowledge. Hope that SKQ camp will reform this practice too. InshaAllah.

humble_servant_us

Unread post by humble_servant_us » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:09 am

Please quote and provide authentic reference for such traditions from Imam. I am asking it because common folk are attributing it as an independent cause of shifa which is definitely Shirk.
Some references for merits of khaak e shifa
http://duas.org/kshifa.htm

It is upto you to accept these traditions or ignore them.
Its a classic example of "innovation" about which no similar example we find in Quran or Hadees. Ever Prophet Muhammed (saws) used the clay of martyr of Sayyed us shohda Hazrat Hamza (r a) or any other martyr and used it to perform sajdah over it? Brother, I am not Wahabi or Salafi or Sunni but a simple Bohri but I do feel that sectarianism has distorted the basic teachings of Islam.
Check this , maybe this can answer your queries. Its a small writeup.
http://www.al-islam.org/nutshell/laws_practices/7.htm

Every sect in Islam has a fiqh which they claim is derived from Quran and Hadis. What I have presented to you is the Shia fiqh and the reasons given by them. You may agree or disagree with them.
The way Khak e shifa is used by Muffy camp to exploit the emotions of common Bohra masses, its because of ignorance and silence from people of knowledge. Hope that SKQ camp will reform this practice too. InshaAllah.
Maybe you are right on this.