Forcing Bohras to keep beard (dari)

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
Danish

Re: Is beard is neccessary in Islam?

Unread post by Danish » Tue May 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Originally posted by pardesi:
There is a hadith where the Prophet responded to inquiry from muslims about growing beard wherein he said the muslims should grow beard in opposit way than Jews. Like Jews used to color their beard black and he asked muslims to use hena? or paint it red, etc. Also he said the same thing about the length like if the Jews grow very long beard then the muslims should have a shorter beard or vice versa, I am not sure which. To me it seems that he was trying to differentiate muslims from jews by just looking at the beard.
Speaking for myself, I refrain from cock-and-bull stories and innovated/invented dogmas. The Arabs were/are far too clever to desecrate Muhammad's message and reverted back to their old heathenized ideologies, disguised under his umbrella.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Tue May 06, 2008 7:43 pm

Al Z,

Very good post. There is another example. Fasting on the 10th of Moharram. The prophet recommended this based upon the practice of the jews. However in order to differentiate from the jews, he asked the muslims to fast two days instead of one. The 9th and the 10th or the 10th and the 11th. I am not sure if the jews still follow this practice, but the Muslims continue to.

muhammad khan

Unread post by muhammad khan » Wed May 07, 2008 4:27 am

Prophet Muhammad Never Shaved – Is it against Islam to shave?

Prophet Muhammad never used computer, is it against Islam to use computer
Prophet Muhammad never used plane, car, or bus, is it against Islam to use them.

Defiantly Not!

Prophet Muhammad never shaved because not shaving was the best way to stay clean in the place where sand storm was common and there was no technology to clean the shave easily. So according to me the sunnat of Rasul is to keep yourself clean. In today’s world the best way to keep yourself clean is to shave. So if you want to be like prophet you should shave.

In the end, I think it is niyat that matters. If you grow beard because you want to be like prophet then Allah will defiantly reward you and if you shave because you want to be like prophet Muhammad then Allah will defiantly reward you. These are my thoughts.

Hussain_KSA

Unread post by Hussain_KSA » Wed May 07, 2008 8:39 am

Originally posted by anajmi:
Al Z,

Very good post. There is another example. Fasting on the 10th of Moharram. The prophet recommended this based upon the practice of the jews. However in order to differentiate from the jews, he asked the muslims to fast two days instead of one. The 9th and the 10th or the 10th and the 11th. I am not sure if the jews still follow this practice, but the Muslims continue to.
In a reply to a thread " Ashoora Fasting" I have mentioned about the above said hadith and while visiting to Aqsa mosque I double check it with some jews and they confirmed it that they still observe fasting on the same day. However here in Saudia we are observing two days fasting as mentioned by brother A. Najmi.

Gulf

Unread post by Gulf » Wed May 07, 2008 10:50 am

Keep beard and dont cut it, keep is as instructed and you will understand what is islam really.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed May 07, 2008 11:54 am

Keep beard and dont cut it, keep is as instructed and you will understand what is islam really.
Ya just keep the berd and you will understand Islam.

Without reading Qur'an or Dunnah.

Gulf

Unread post by Gulf » Wed May 07, 2008 12:26 pm

Originally posted by Muslim First:
Ya just keep the berd and you will understand Islam.

Without reading Qur'an or Dunnah.
Nup! you have been reading Qur'an, you have been praying all time Salat you have been doing all farizat thats fine but yet you are not keeping beard that is not ok.. by this you are melting away your deeds.. BTW it is upto you

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Prophet Muhammad never used plane, car, or bus, is it against Islam to use them.
khan,

Very good questions khan. I mean, you've stumped me. An Ismaili has finally asked some very smart questions. Keep it up.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed May 07, 2008 1:18 pm

Prophet Muhammad never shaved because not shaving was the best way to stay clean in the place where sand storm was common and
I am still trying to understand the science behind your claim. How does a beard keep you clean in a sand storm?
there was no technology to clean the shave easily.
Not sure what you mean? Clean the shave.. like after you shave or before you shave? If you are talking about after, then they had technology to take a bath right? Same technology could be used. If you are talking about before, then the fact that the prophet has advised to trim the moustache and grow a beard should tell you that there were people who were shaving, or had technology to shave/trim, otherwise the prophet wouldn'tve had to give that advise. Muslims have been asked to remove hair from other parts of the body, so obviously the technology existed. Ismailis however, didnt!!

Now, if you have a basis for your claim, other than yourself, like your Hazar Imam for eg. then please post it. If it is just your interpretation, then it can be safely ignored.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Wed May 07, 2008 1:43 pm

Originally posted by Gulf:
gulf,

do you have your birth records?

i would like to know whether you suffered any trauma at the time you were born. were you born feet first, or had your umbilical cord wrapped around yr neck or were dropped on your head by error or had severe infantile jaundice etc?

when did u last have yr IQ checked? there is a strong possibility you are autistic with a touch of down's syndrome.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Wed May 07, 2008 1:46 pm

Originally posted by muhammad khan:

Defiantly Not!

Prophet Muhammad never shaved because not shaving was the best way to stay clean in the place where sand storm was common and there was no technology to clean the shave easily. So according to me the sunnat of Rasul is to keep yourself clean. In today’s world the best way to keep yourself clean is to shave. So if you want to be like prophet you should shave.

MK,

have u considered taking up a career as a stand-up comic? u shud, seriously.

thanks for the best and most humorous post of the day.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed May 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Another go at brother Muhammad Khan's post. As per the Ismaili doctrine, Aga Khan is supposed to be an Avataar of Krishna. Now Krishna is supposed to have existed thousands of years before prophet Muhammad. Has anyone ever seen a picturization of Krishna with a beard in any literature? So if Krishna had the technology to shave his beard why couldn't the Arabs?

turbocanuck

Unread post by turbocanuck » Wed May 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Originally posted by Anajmi.....

Growing a beard is a sunnah of the prophet. It is not a fard. If you do not like a face which looks similar to that of the prophet, you are welcome to shave off your beard.

Yeah......ABU JAHL too had a beard and was a passionate enemy of the Paak Rasool pbuh, somewhat like the so-called "sipah-e-sahabah"'s of today, who at a drop of a dime (sorry dirham), gleefully go into a ecstatic trance at reading Hadith with shameful things attributed to the Holy Prophet pbuh........go figure

turbocanuck

Unread post by turbocanuck » Wed May 07, 2008 7:38 pm

Do as I say .......you, you,......Kaffir!!

http://www2.irna.ir/en/news/view/menu-2 ... 152818.htm

turbocanuck

Unread post by turbocanuck » Wed May 07, 2008 7:47 pm

Do as I say .......you, you,......Kaffir!!

http://www2.irna.ir/en/news/view/menu-2 ... 152818.htm

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Wed May 07, 2008 8:15 pm

there seems to be a tremendous business opportunity in the NWFP right now...dealing in fake beards!

anyone knows how we can get hold of genuine-looking stuff in qty's?

anyone have any ideas? how about maganlal dresswala or patel dresswala in bombay, they supply regularly to bollywood..

there is lots of potential business available from the taheris as well...

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Thu May 08, 2008 2:33 am

Originally posted by anajmi:
If you do not like a face which looks similar to that of the prophet, you are welcome to shave off your beard.
If you do not like marrying pre-teens like the prophet, you are welcome to marry adult women.

Where does this stop ?

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Thu May 08, 2008 5:03 am

As soon as you stop farting.

jawanmardan

Unread post by jawanmardan » Fri May 23, 2008 11:44 am

Its a personal choice surely and depends upon ones personal take on the interpretation and use of religious texts, within our present context.

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Mon May 26, 2008 2:18 pm

I think more then the beard the spirit behind the beard is important. If one keeps the beard with right spirit then it makes sense. I know a guy who used to keep beard for a long time. He met a girl and fell in love with her. She told him that he would look grt without beard. Since, his love is true for her he shaved it off. He has no regrets about it. He tells me that he still follows Islam the way he used to do it before shaving off his beard. So again it should be individual choice since it is not made compulsory by our prophet unlike it is amongst sikhs.

In bohris beard is a big joke. Most of the people keep beards just before marraige and shave off as soon as the nikah is over.

The question that I have for all is why is it compulsory in bohris to have a beard during marraige? Is there any mention of it anywhere in our religious books? Any info on this would be appreciated.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Mon May 26, 2008 4:40 pm

at the risk of sounding offensive, i must confess yr question is rather naive and rhetorical.

you do know that keeping a beard is sunnah, not compulsory. and the reason that bridegrooms among taheris sport a beard before nikah is to get their event culminated at the hands of a kothari amil. failure to do so will result in denial to carry out said function and other penalties. this whole exercise is to enforce their authority and humble you before their power..

this whole business of a beard among taheris and its relative style, free and wild (junglee), trimmed and shaped (kutreli), or goatee etc, is expressly formulated to mark out the fully fanatic, the half believer and the faintly rebellious. of course not keeping one at all, is obviously the sign of a disbeliever whose aqeeda is borderline and shaky..

in which category of beard are you and why, is the question which i must ask next. be careful, your answer will determine how much of an abde-syedna are you...

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Mon May 26, 2008 4:48 pm

now since we are on this hirsute subject, why dont we generally find bohras sporting large moustaches, a-la the thakur or chowdhary style, with its waxed ends fiercely turned up, stiff and proud, strong enough to support 2 small lemons on its ends?

wouldnt that be considered a better mark of manliness than a rather weak and limp looking, shabby, unwashed, straws-in-the-wind sort of unkempt beard? a beard full of dal-chawal-palidu and some stray grains from malido full of ghee?

comments welcomed, esp from the abde-syedna taheris..

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Tue May 27, 2008 12:57 pm

AZ,

No offences but u missed my question. I know why the kotharis enforce dhadi before nikah. My question was is there anywhere a mention of it in Islam that it is compulsory to have a beard during nikah or this is an bohra innovation? Maybe others can shed some light on this.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Tue May 27, 2008 1:10 pm

Aareef,

you have answered the question yrself.

that is what is known as a rhetorical question.

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Tue May 27, 2008 2:40 pm

I still would like to know from SOMEONE ELSE on this forum whether it makes any Islamic sense of having a dhadhi before Nikah...

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Tue May 27, 2008 3:30 pm

No it does not. Having a dhadi just for nikaah is not mandatory in Islam.

Danish

Unread post by Danish » Tue May 27, 2008 3:39 pm

Originally posted by Aareef:
I still would like to know from SOMEONE ELSE on this forum whether it makes any Islamic sense of having a dhadhi before Nikah...
Only in Islam, dhadhi and countless other disoriented and dreadful enactments have influxed into what has become an Allah's Religion rather than a Nature's System. Thanks to the unscrupulous Mullah's Holy Sunnah; the bigoted rewards stamped on their foreheads at the expense of their ignorant and brainwashed followers duped into priceless religious gems. LMAO!!!

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Tue May 27, 2008 4:14 pm

Anajmi,

Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for.
Only in Islam, dhadhi and countless other disoriented and dreadful enactments have influxed into what has become an Allah's Religion rather than a Nature's System.
Danish,

There you go again. Keeping beard was a custom amongst jews who existed long before muslims. Even sikhs keep beards and it is compulsory in their religion. I have given two concrete examples. One of the religion that existed before Islam and another that came into existence after Islam. If you want to argue then use some concrete facts. Do not criticize Islam for the heck of it...

Danish

Unread post by Danish » Tue May 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Originally posted by Aareef:
Danish,

There you go again. Keeping beard was a custom amongst jews who existed long before muslims. Even sikhs keep beards and it is compulsory in their religion. I have given two concrete examples. One of the religion that existed before Islam and another that came into existence after Islam. If you want to argue then use some concrete facts. Do not criticize Islam for the heck of it...[/QB]
Rubbish! You got your history twisted. Moses had no idea what Judaism is, Jesus had no idea what Christianity is and neither did Muhammad know anything about a religion named Islam. All these monotheistic reglions were introduced AFTER the deaths of their spiritual messengers who wanted to bring a JUST system but they disbelieved and troubled the messengers and desecrated their message just to revert back into idolworshipping paganism. Islam is a mixture of all the above and more so Hinduism. Islam today is NOT what QURAN stipulates and neither has anything to do with Muhammad's message.

2:87 ~ We gave Moses the scripture, and subsequent to him we sent other messengers, and we gave Jesus, son of Mary, profound miracles and supported him with the Holy Spirit. Is it not a fact that every time a messenger went to you with anything you disliked, your ego caused you to be arrogant? Some of them you rejected, and some of them you killed.

2:285 ~ The messenger has believed in what was sent down to him from his Lord, and so did the believers. They believe in GOD, His angels, His scripture, and His messengers: "We make no distinction among any of His messengers." They say, "We hear, and we obey. Forgive us, our Lord. To You is the ultimate destiny."

3:144 ~ Muhammad was no more than a messenger like the messengers before him. Should he die or get killed, would you turn back on your heels? Anyone who turns back on his heels, does not hurt GOD in the least. GOD rewards those who are appreciative.

4:150 ~ Those who disbelieve in GOD and His messengers, and seek to make distinction among GOD and His messengers, and say, "We believe in some and reject some," and wish to follow a path in between;

6:10 ~ Messengers before you have been ridiculed. It is those who mocked them who suffered the consequences of their ridiculing.

6:130 ~ O you jinns and humans, did you not receive messengers from among you, who narrated to you My revelations, and warned you about the meeting of this day? They will say, "We bear witness against ourselves." They were totally preoccupied with the worldly life, and they will bear witness against themselves that they were disbelievers.

The Quran is replete of such warnings, but unfortunately majority of them are ignorant and foolish.

Today you call youself a Dwoodi Bohra. Let me guess; first came a natural system bought by Muhammad in order to bring peace and righteousness, then came Islam by the pagan Arabs, then came Shiaism, next Ismailism, then Bohraism and now with a slight U-Turn towards a Reformed Bohraism. What??? Do you call yourself a Muslim or a Bohri? Is your religion Islam or Dawoodi Bohra?

It is YOU who have disbelieved in Muhammad, desecrated his message and insulted his system. You are not following Muhammad's System but Arab's Religion, LOL!

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Tue May 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Rubbish! You got your history twisted. Moses had no idea what Judaism is, Jesus had no idea what Christianity is and neither did Muhammad know anything about a religion named Islam.
ofcourse why not?? There is only one knowledgeable, enlightened and all knowing person in this world. His name is Danish. He is the only one who decides which religion is authentic and which is not. He was born before Moses and knows everything that happened ever since. That is why he can confidently write all this crap...

BTW: Guru nanak made beard compulsory for sikhs. Now don't tell me he had no idea of sikhism...