Extra Haram food items in Bohras

If you have questions or want to share knowledge about Dawoodi Bohra religions and rituals please post them here. Any discussion outside the framework of Dawoodi Bohra beliefs and tradition is not allowed. This forum is primarily for sharing of information and knowledge.
Ozdundee

Extra Haram food items in Bohras

Unread post by Ozdundee » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:27 pm

I am coming across conversations that Bohras have a long list of foods that they consider haram that is not necessary in Quran

Fish oil
Rocket salad
sea food
something of honey and milk

can someone please give a full list and reason ?

SBM

Re: Extra Haram food items in Bohras

Unread post by SBM » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Add to it
Hing.
Reason= Because Aqa Moula nau Farman chey.. good enough reason.
Any reason why everyone is asked to make ROTI--Aqa Moula ni Khushi chey.. good enough reason

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:40 pm

Many items which are 'Makru' are also termed as 'Haraam' among Bohras.

mukhtaarhusain

Unread post by mukhtaarhusain » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:02 pm

The Kothar Gang has issued a long list of food items which r HARAAM to eat for BOHRAS..But they r least botherd to see that the MONEY the ABDES r paying to them for ZIYAFATS N HADIYATS is HALAAL KI KAMAI OR HARAAM KI KAMAI....

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:10 pm

mukhtaarhusain wrote:The Kothar Gang has issued a long list of food items which r HARAAM to eat for BOHRAS..But they r least botherd to see that the MONEY the ABDES r paying to them for ZIYAFATS N HADIYATS is HALAAL KI KAMAI OR HARAAM KI KAMAI....
For the Dai, taking rent from liquor shops and banks is 'Halal' whereas the same is 'Haraam' for abdes and attending Ziyafats and showering fake titles to Bohras having liquor bars is also 'Halal' for them (Ref: Shaukat Sarkar who owned Hotel Metro Palace at Bandra, Mumbai).

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:29 am

SBM wrote:Add to it
Hing.
Reason= Because Aqa Moula nau Farman chey.. good enough reason.
Any reason why everyone is asked to make ROTI--Aqa Moula ni Khushi chey.. good enough reason
Hing is called asafoetida and is very beneficial

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruca_sativa

Rocket is also nutritious

I could not find any practical reason why these have been banned. May be they want Abdes to not eat nutritious brain food and remain retarded !

Rocket was thought to help with sexuality 4000 yrs ago ..may be that is why if FGM was not enough !

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:47 am

May be they want Abdes to not eat nutritious brain food and remain retarded !
:lol:

araz5253

Unread post by araz5253 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:00 pm

Fish , sea food is wrongly prohibited even though Quran is explicit that we can have it.

Critical_Thinker

Unread post by Critical_Thinker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Ozdundee wrote:I am coming across conversations that Bohras have a long list of foods that they consider haram that is not necessary in Quran

Fish oil
Rocket salad
sea food
something of honey and milk

Do you have any proof of this or are you just making things up?
I have spoken to my traditional bohra friends and relatives and none of them have heard of this.

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Critical_Thinker wrote: Do you have any proof of this or are you just making things up?
I have spoken to my traditional bohra friends and relatives and none of them have heard of this.
CT...First of all if you knew me you would not ask such a stupid question like as if I would make this things up.
Is there a list ? Well if you don't know about it you are not my audience because probably you don't follow it , for this topic your views are irrelevant in this discussion.

mnoorani

Unread post by mnoorani » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:18 pm

Most of the Islamic dietary laws are similar to the Judaic ones. And the Bohra dietary laws are similar. A lot of things were prohibited to the followers of Prophet Moses but then Allah changed the Shariat for Isa Nabi then for Prophet Mohammed as well. The Jews prayer action is only up to the Ruku but the Christians bend on their knees. For our Rasul, Allah ordered the sujood in three steps. Likewise The Jews were prohibited from mixing dairy with milk. But it was made halal for Muslims. The Jews do not eat fish without scales and also the flesh of swine is prohibited to them. Many orthodox Christians follow this dietary rule. In the 15th century Arabic culture was gaining popularity as the Arabs were up to the borders of France so the Christian church started to do opposite of Islamic laws. Bohras do not eat all sea creatures ,but there are some rules like the fish has to have scales and the fish should not give birth to young. And also the crustaceans are not allowed. My sunni friends who follow the Wahhabi school of thought argue that all from the sea is halal including octopus and squid and eels. That means that they could also consume sea snakes and sea cucumbers or even seals. However there are many muslim communities that follow the same rule as bohras. I have read in a Mughal culinary history book that even the Mughal rulers followed the same rule for sea food. Some Muslim communities do not consume ducks altogether and some do. Bohras can consume duck if the webs of the feet are separated before zabihat, Any form of intoxicants ,however small is not allowed by the bohras, hence no Nutmegs. Other Muslim communities allow the use of tobacco , by arguing that there was no tobacco during the time of our Prophet. However the Ibadi sect of Muslims of Oman consider tobacco as haraam. Infact the last Sultan of Oman had strict rules if his Omani subjects were found smoking. The Muslims of Central Asia consume Horse but others consider it haraam and some muslims consider it OK if it served to you in a restaurant. I was told that the late Sayedna had disallowed mushrooms as well, but I am not sure. After living in a few Indian states and a few countries. I yet have to see a Bohra house using Hing.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:37 pm

araz5253 wrote:Fish , sea food is wrongly prohibited even though Quran is explicit that we can have it.
Don't forget that sea food is a tonic for brains and by putting restrictions on it by issuing farmans that only 'jeevti macchi is allowed' they have managed to restrict the intake of sea food among bohras lest their brains start working and they start questioning Kothar !!

Critical_Thinker

Unread post by Critical_Thinker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Ozdundee wrote:
Critical_Thinker wrote: Do you have any proof of this or are you just making things up?
CT...First of all if you knew me you would not ask such a stupid question like as if I would make this things up.
Is there a list ? Well if you don't know about it you are not my audience because probably you don't follow it , for this topic your views are irrelevant in this discussion.
I dont know you, but you have said that youre not part of the progressive jamaat or SKQ jamaat or SMS jamaat.
Therefore its most likely that you do make things up because youre not part of the bohra community.

If there is a list, then you should produce it here as evidence from a reliable source.
Perhaps you have a picture you can post of it which was taken in a bohra masjid recently?
As I have said, none of my traditional bohra friends and relatives have been told to avoid the foods you mentioned.

Incidentally ozdundee, as you are not part of any bohra community, it is actually you who is irrelevant.
However you are still welcome here as admin allows all and sundry on this forum.

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:43 am

Critical_Thinker wrote:
Ozdundee wrote: CT...First of all if you knew me you would not ask such a stupid question like as if I would make this things up.
I dont know you, but you have said that youre not part of the progressive jamaat or SKQ jamaat or SMS jamaat.
Therefore its most likely that you do make things up because youre not part of the bohra community.

If there is a list, then you should produce it here as evidence from a reliable source.
Perhaps you have a picture you can post of it which was taken in a bohra masjid recently?
As I have said, none of my traditional bohra friends and relatives have been told to avoid the foods you mentioned.

Incidentally ozdundee, as you are not part of any bohra community, it is actually you who is irrelevant.
However you are still welcome here as admin allows all and sundry on this forum.
CT goodness me you are picking a fight ..really. ..you are irrelevant in welcoming me or anyone. then you take a swipe at Mr Admin. ..half of my mind says I should DeAL with you. breath in out , I will let you pass :mrgreen: other half wins

I don't need a community to allow my claim to my ethnicity and heritage.

yes you k ow there was a list you read it I read it on WhatsApp. ..

mnoorani

Unread post by mnoorani » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:29 am

Why cant we just stick to the topic and discuss the list.

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:14 am

Some Muslim communities do not consume ducks altogether and some do. Bohras can consume duck if the webs of the feet are separated before zabihat,
how do you do this to a live bird without causing pain ?

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:05 am

even these are prohibited

Hing
Fishes with whiskers

please advise why ?

mnoorani

Unread post by mnoorani » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:50 am

Ozdundee wrote:
Some Muslim communities do not consume ducks altogether and some do. Bohras can consume duck if the webs of the feet are separated before zabihat,
how do you do this to a live bird without causing pain ?
I do not know if pain will be there or not. But as per bohra fiqh the webbed feet have to be cut and then the the zabihat done. I know a Sunni Bohra gentleman ,who is aged and I address him as uncle , he told me that the Sunni Bohras also follow the same rule. These are rules but I do not know of any of my bohra friends who have done the zabihat of a duck as yet, like even locusts are allowed . However I yet have to meet a Muslim who has ever consumed them.

Critical_Thinker

Unread post by Critical_Thinker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:10 pm

Ozdundee wrote:
Critical_Thinker wrote: I dont know you, but you have said that youre not part of the progressive jamaat or SKQ jamaat or SMS jamaat.

CT goodness me you are picking a fight ..really. ..you are irrelevant in welcoming me or anyone. then you take a swipe at Mr Admin. ..half of my mind says I should DeAL with you. breath in out , I will let you pass :mrgreen: other half wins

I don't need a community to allow my claim to my ethnicity and heritage.

yes you k ow there was a list you read it I read it on WhatsApp. ..
You want to DeAL with me ozdundee?
Is that some kind of hilarious macho cyber threat?

If you are happy without a community, then why are you on this bohra community forum?

In your first post, you said you came across this list by conversations with bohras.
Now you are saying that you read it on whatsapp.
Lies always have a way of revealing themselves dont they ozdundee.

I have not seen any such list on whatsapp, nor has anyone else I know.
Besides only a fool blindly believes everything sent on whatsapp without any proof.

Until you provide solid evidence, your post is nothing more than a fabrication.

Critical_Thinker

Unread post by Critical_Thinker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:19 pm

mnoorani wrote:Why cant we just stick to the topic and discuss the list.
We should first ascertain whether this list exists in the real world.
Or whether it only exist within ozdundees vivid imagination.

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:58 am

]Received by whats-app:
AqaMoula na ane aap na mansoos na farman mutabiq misr ma je sagla mumineen drugs, cigrette tambaakoo, gudko, sheesho ya aa misal nu je bhi moharamaat leta tha sagla mumineen na blood test thaya ane je sagla na blood ma aa sagli haraam cheezon aawi ye sagla na ghar ma si Dai i zamaan na ya aapna Mansoos ni har kisam ni cheezon,tasaweer nikalwa ma awi gayi ane ye sagla ne har ek khidmat si faarig karwa ma awi gayu aa misal nu farmaan mutabiq amal Mumbai ma shuru thayu che ane jald alam e imaan ma aa blood test ek ek mumin na karwa ma awse
Mumineen hamna bhi aa na Pak cheezon ne chori ne Aa Bewe Shaan na Moula nu daaman thaami le
Khuda bewe moula ni umer shareef ne daraaz ane daraaz karjo
Aameen!
Salaams,Moharramaat per zikaro thai rahi che ehma haji ehm jaanwu zaruri che ke Nutmeg-Jaaifal ane Asefotedia-Hing bhi Haraamj che.Magar afsos ke aa beve cheezo aksar chips,readymade packets ane ye misal na packets ma shamil hoi che.Je apne anjaani ma jamye che ane ehna karta mhotu apna bachao ne khilawye che.Sagla ne wajib che ke aa amar ma ghanu dhyan rakhe.
Aa msg sagla ne forward karwu apna per wajib che agar apne Aqa Maula tus ane Aali Qadr Mula tus ni mohabbat karta hoi ane aapna farman uthawta hoi.Wassalaam
CT happy

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:32 am

Ozdundee wrote:
]Received by whats-app: Asefotedia-Hing bhi Haraamj che.Magar afsos ke aa beve cheezo aksar chips,readymade packets ane ye misal na packets ma shamil hoi che.Je apne anjaani ma jamye che ane ehna karta mhotu apna bachao ne khilawye che.Sagla ne wajib che ke aa amar ma ghanu dhyan rakhe.
Aa msg sagla ne forward karwu apna per wajib che agar apne Aqa Maula tus ane Aali Qadr Mula tus ni mohabbat karta hoi ane aapna farman uthawta hoi.Wassalaam
There you go ... they mentioned HING

Would like to know why ? G K purposes !!

I have also heard that MSG (mono-sodium glutomate) Also known as black salt and is a famous taste enhancer used in chinese cuisine and all soups. This is banned in jamaatkhana jamans in Kuwait, I guess. not much of a debate, MSG has some side effects.

mnoorani

Unread post by mnoorani » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:13 am

humanbeing wrote:
Ozdundee wrote:
There you go ... they mentioned HING

Would like to know why ? G K purposes !!

I have also heard that MSG (mono-sodium glutomate) Also known as black salt and is a famous taste enhancer used in chinese cuisine and all soups. This is banned in jamaatkhana jamans in Kuwait, I guess. not much of a debate, MSG has some side effects.
There is a mistake. MSG or Aginomoto is totally different from black salt. This shows that you do not help your wife in the kitchen!
Infact the appearance ,smell, taste and colour is also different. There is nothing wrong with black salt and it is more beneficial .Black salt is called sanchal and the colour range starts from a light pink to a dark grey. The famous Bharuch peanuts are roasted in black salt and it is used for chaats and paani puri masalas. It can be substituted for table salt for people with high BP but in moderation. Black salt can also be used as sprinklers on BBQ. Comparing to MSG , it is good that MSG is banned. MSG was never a part of Bohra cuisine and was introduced to the jamaat slowly in the late seventies and it became more common by the 80s. MSG is not needed in any of the cuisine that we as bohras are familiar with like the Malwa region or the Deccan or Gujarat or Maharashtra. MSG is harmful and we do not have it in our kitchen also. Banning it by the jamaat is a right move.

hussain11

Unread post by hussain11 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:49 am

Whatsapp message:

List of haram items given in dubai maraz for moharamat:
Denaturel Alcohol
Ethanol
Benzyl Alcohol
Alcohol SD
Ethyl Alcohol
Methanol
Isopropyl
Elixir
Nucleotide
Vanilla Extract
Naturally Brewed
Confectioners Glaze
Fish Oil
Gelatin & Kosher Gelatin
(Halal Beef Gelatin can be taken)
Animal Shortening
Medicine Containing fish oil/substance
Crab
Dragon Fruit
Mulukhiya
Rocket leaf
Water cress
Nutmeg
Opuntia
Ficus
Ajinamoto

Mumineen pls don't use above products and ingredients. Check ingredients before purchasing any product.

Don't eat Bounty chocolate it contains alcohol ingredient and hand wash, face wash contains alcohol check before purchasing. Shan masala contains jaifal javetri which is haram and so many products. Please check before purchasing any product.
Please acknowledge other mumineen. Khuda talaa AQA Maula (TUS) ni umr ne hamesh sehat ane aafiyat ma baqi ane baqi rakhe . Ameen.

trvoice

Unread post by trvoice » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:01 pm

^ as for the whatsapp msg

Most Shampoo contain alchohol
Most soap bars are made out of animal fats (majority being swine)
Most tooth paste contain animal bones or crushed teeths for calcium

I hate the "we only eat halal" hypocrites. I always trick them into asking them what shampoo, soap and toothpaste they use and mostly use the ones I mentioned above. They either laugh or change the topic.

mukhtaarhusain

Unread post by mukhtaarhusain » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:17 pm

All the homeopathic medicines contains ALCOHOL.. N allopathic medicines n capsules n cough syrup cotains ALCOHOL..V r told not to eat anything from a hindu's hand...Then why d serving staff of canteen in SAIFEE HOSPITAL r hindus..Are all these things r not HARAM??

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:48 pm

mukhtaarhusain wrote:V r told not to eat anything from a hindu's hand...Then why d serving staff of canteen in SAIFEE HOSPITAL r hindus..Are all these things r not HARAM??
What food do the religious mafias residing in Saifee Mahal eat during their holidays in exotic locations worldwide ? Do they take their Muslim cook or does an abde MAN volunteer to make Mohabbat ni rotis for them ?

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:05 am

some of the best foods baned. sometimes one wonders if it is only for the slaves just in case they get smarter

look up wiki for their benefits, personally I eat and take most of the stuff listed ...my speciality is Singapore chilii crab

Dragon Fruit
Mulukhiya
Rocket leaf
Water cress

MMH

Unread post by MMH » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:24 am

Ozdundee wrote:some of the best foods baned. sometimes one wonders if it is only for the slaves just in case they get smarter

look up wiki for their benefits, personally I eat and take most of the stuff listed ...my speciality is Singapore chilii crab

Dragon Fruit
Mulukhiya
Rocket leaf
Water cress

Is it rocket leaves or rocca leaves??? On doing a google search, I find the same images for both the searches...

I have been eating rocca leaves in my salads and I am kinda addicted to them.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

think

Unread post by think » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:29 pm

For once and for all; bohri is not a religion . It is a club where the goonda kothar rules the ignorant. they change the rules to benefit them. This is not a religion. yes majalises and mikaats and ziafats are being held and now they even have a fun fair and roti making competition because that is what it takes to make the ignorant happy ,so that is what the kothar delivers. Can one imagine, people wasting their time inventing all types of rotis and displaying in fun fairs and a amil who knows nothing about food is going to judge a winner. This is insane.