Extra Haram food items in Bohras

If you have questions or want to share knowledge about Dawoodi Bohra religions and rituals please post them here. Any discussion outside the framework of Dawoodi Bohra beliefs and tradition is not allowed. This forum is primarily for sharing of information and knowledge.
kseeker

Re: Extra Haram food items in Bohras

Unread post by kseeker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:39 am

Ozdundee wrote:I am coming across conversations that Bohras have a long list of foods that they consider haram that is not necessary in Quran

Fish oil
Rocket salad
sea food
something of honey and milk

can someone please give a full list and reason ?
I would like to give my 2 cents on what the actual dawoodi bohra faith consider halal and haram..

1. Any animal which sits on its back feet before its front is haraam. Any animal which sits on its front feet before is halaal (except for pig and horse)....
cats, dogs, etc sit on back feet... goats, camels, cows sit on their front.....
horse is not haraam, it is makruh... it is a very noble and loyal creature and should not be fed upon... pigs also sit on their front feet first however they are so vile and dirty that its consumption is haraam..

they have to be slaughtered by slitting the animal's jugular vein.. no other sort of method of killing them is acceptable for edible meat... absolutely not.

2. Fish with scales are halaal.. fish without scales are haraam.... fish with scales can only be eaten if they are caught alive... you either have to see them alive or the person selling you have to swear that he has seen them alive...prawns, even though they have scales should be avoided because they die very quickly after coming out of the water so its difficult to say if they were alive at the time of being taken out of water or not... if you know for sure they were alive, you can consume them... no crabs, lobsters or any sea fish/creature which does not have scales....

3. The Quran does not in any verse state that alcohol is haraam.. neither does the prophet... he has however mentioned " if you want to consume alcohol in jannat, you will have to stay away from the one on this earth".. a statement with a great hikmat behind it.... the Quran however forbids any consumable substance which gets you high....... again, a statement with great hikmat... if alcohol was straight out banned, we could never be able to consume 99% of medicines ... we could never treat cuts or wounds.. and most importantly, never perform surgical operations or anything using anesthesia cause they have opium in it... however, we cannot use it in an edible form as they are no benefits of it that way... except for getting high.. which is not a benefit..

perfumes have alcohol.. using it is not haraam however its alcohol content will make you and your clothes napaak....

4. rocket leaves have the ability to get you high.. so does khas khas.. so does ajinomoto...as well as certain mushrooms.... has the Quran stated their names and made them haraam? no.. however the "no nasha" rule rakes these in it... giving the excuse " but it doesn't get me high" is not acceptable..

The Quran also states that a person should not make soemthing halaal to haraam... but if one is not certain if an item is halaal or haraam, he should avoid it...

There is nothing in this world that Allah has made which is not useful.. everything has a purpose and everything is beautiful... however, it is upto man to use it correctly....

Example: I have personally read papers from Johns Hopkins and Duke university stating that if there were no pigs in the world, man would die instantly of epidemic diseases.. it is their ability to soak in terrible viruses and bacteria in their sponge like bodies which protects us from it... which is why they are supposed to be kept in swamps (where most germs, viruses, bacteria fester) and not on your dinner plate.....

May Allah forgive me for anything wrong I have stated....

Excalibur

Unread post by Excalibur » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:00 am

Apparently, trying to use one's brains is also haraam in Bohra Club. But that's just me I guess.

I would request folks to stay away from crabs. They are already expensive and I don't want horde of abdes putting it up as kharaas and make it more dear for me :-)

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Excalibur wrote:Apparently, trying to use one's brains is also haraam in Bohra Club. But that's just me I guess.

I would request folks to stay away from crabs. They are already expensive and I don't want horde of abdes putting it up as kharaas and make it more dear for me :-)
Crabs are supposed to be 'Makru' and not 'Haraam' and many Bohras do eat crabs so its quite possible that it may be one of the delicacy in future jamans. :lol: