finger licking bohras

If you have questions or want to share knowledge about Dawoodi Bohra religions and rituals please post them here. Any discussion outside the framework of Dawoodi Bohra beliefs and tradition is not allowed. This forum is primarily for sharing of information and knowledge.
blue

finger licking bohras

Unread post by blue » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:33 am

some people will think that i should have posted this in humour section, but it might be a serious issue for many. Whatever the quality of the Jaman , or whether it is jamatkhana, home or restaurant, many Bohras have this habit of licking their fingers while eating. and if it is dal chaval or palidu, it becomes disgusting. Many people say it is the sunnah of Rasulallah (S.A.W.). btw this is the reason that many bohras do not let others sit in their thaal. i request all my brothers and sisters Please Quit licking your fingers while you eat and dont make that annoying sucking sound.

zinger

Re: finger licking bohras

Unread post by zinger » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:53 am

blue wrote:some people will think that i should have posted this in humour section, but it might be a serious issue for many. Whatever the quality of the Jaman , or whether it is jamatkhana, home or restaurant, many Bohras have this habit of licking their fingers while eating. and if it is dal chaval or palidu, it becomes disgusting. Many people say it is the sunnah of Rasulallah (S.A.W.). btw this is the reason that many bohras do not let others sit in their thaal. i request all my brothers and sisters Please Quit licking your fingers while you eat and dont make that annoying sucking sound.

even KFC says "finger-licking good". And im sure that Colonel Sanders is not Muslim :wink:

but seriously, since it upsets you so much, dont sit in the thaal. i have an issue with sharing spoons, so what i do is use my ice cream spoon for the soup. means less soup per spoonful, but i can live with that

and BTW, sorry to sound harsh, but this post of yours does not belong anywhere. Its your problem. solve it yourself.

blue

Unread post by blue » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:06 am

Hum Nahi Sudhrenge :) :) :)

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:49 am

Ohh .. this is an interesting point to talk about .. thaal manners ... there was a presentation done by kuwait jamaat on thaal etiquettes. it was very nice, loaded with beshumaar ehsaaan and karam of muffy maula .. but .. nevertheless it was informative. however the afffect is minimum to nil.

some disgusting habits are ;

Licking food off the fingers and then .. distributing jaman (rice) with those licked fingers evenly towards other members
Picking meat pieces ( chicken or mutton) directly off the bowl with fingers
Licking spoon and putting it back in the soup, mathha or tarkari bowl
Digging nose, wiping sneeze off and continue to eat.
Burping & Farting with pride in the thaal ( Elderlies are excused)
Finicky, cranky, bad mannered, impulsive kids in the thaal
greedy gluttons grabbing interesting food to thier sides
Using Soup Spoon to pull down jaman from the serving plate and then placing the ricey spoon back in the bowl
Mixing food with other ingredients without majority consensus, such as daal with kharaas tarkaari to take more quantity off the baalti
Annoying slurping sounds of soup sucking off the spoon
Slurping off soup / mattha / daal leftover in the bowl directly
Holding the water glass with eating hands, messing it up
Devoted long bearded abde may have the tip of beard touching the food plates when they bend to reach out food
Gargling with drinking water and swalllowing that water sitting in thaal
Washing hands off from the drinking water sitting in thaal over the safra

any more observations ?

Mkenya

Unread post by Mkenya » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:59 pm

We Bohras in theory have the best etiquette of eating at a thaal. How it is practiced is totally another thing. The list in the previous post is a bit over-reaching but to those who have been to a 'jamanvar' of Hindus, 'niaz' of Sunnis would definitely agree that our way is the best. One has only to see the way food is partaken and the mounds of their 'ethwaad' to reflect on how we are much better. One extra role the Amils and his chamchas can play, if they are not too busy in racking in money or threatening Maumins, is to constantly remind people. Personally when I did attend any Jaman I would feign satiation on witnessing unbecoming thaal behaviours.

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:14 am

humanbeing wrote:Ohh .. this is an interesting point to talk about .. thaal manners ... there was a presentation done by kuwait jamaat on thaal etiquettes. it was very nice, loaded with beshumaar ehsaaan and karam of muffy maula .. but .. nevertheless it was informative. however the afffect is minimum to nil.

some disgusting habits are ;

Licking food off the fingers and then .. distributing jaman (rice) with those licked fingers evenly towards other members
Picking meat pieces ( chicken or mutton) directly off the bowl with fingers
Licking spoon and putting it back in the soup, mathha or tarkari bowl
Digging nose, wiping sneeze off and continue to eat.
Burping & Farting with pride in the thaal ( Elderlies are excused)
Finicky, cranky, bad mannered, impulsive kids in the thaal
greedy gluttons grabbing interesting food to thier sides
Using Soup Spoon to pull down jaman from the serving plate and then placing the ricey spoon back in the bowl
Mixing food with other ingredients without majority consensus, such as daal with kharaas tarkaari to take more quantity off the baalti
Annoying slurping sounds of soup sucking off the spoon
Slurping off soup / mattha / daal leftover in the bowl directly
Holding the water glass with eating hands, messing it up
Devoted long bearded abde may have the tip of beard touching the food plates when they bend to reach out food
Gargling with drinking water and swalllowing that water sitting in thaal
Washing hands off from the drinking water sitting in thaal over the safra

any more observations ?
Seriously bro, dont sit in the thaal, we will not miss you :lol:

but jokes apart, i have seen the beard bit touching the food myself :mrgreen:

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:59 am

zinger wrote:Seriously bro, dont sit in the thaal, we will not miss you :lol:
Oh c'mon ! ... this are just observation and my POVs. if you like or yourself enjoying these fun acts in the thaal .. sure .. you have plenty of company out there.

while I have my dedicated thaal group of friends and family, like minded when it comes to thaal manners, so we dont face problems. however ocasionaly I get to sit at random thaals then such behaviour is up setting. but it is ok. I enjoy sitting at random thaals getting to know strangers and have a fun conversation even with spoon slurping kakaji across the thaal. i find the experience amusing and disgusting at same time. a fun learning experience.

Some people are hilarious, "jaman" is a very very important part of the majlis, and many are particular when it comes to thier dining experience.

Location of the thaal : must be near the kitchen and row where thaals are to be distributed first. if at all there is change in plan by the khidmatguzaar to start the thaal from opposit rows, the kakaji gets miffed and disappointed. kakaji would pay close attention to the pattern in which thaal are given away and if there is randon change in the pattern delaying the distribution of thaal, they will cry favoritism.

Analyzing the menu and deciding who could be the sponsor of the jaman. there are few famous philanthropist in the given area who usually take up the sponsorship and accordingly will be the caterer. trademark kharaas mithaas will be helpful in guessing.

Some kakajees are in a real hurry to finish off the food, moment thaal is placed on the chumlee .. mission - consumption starts, clock is ticking .. there is frantic movements to organize the namak chakhvu and active kakaji will push the kharaas mithaas in the centre according to sequence of mithaas - kharaaas - mithaas - kharaas. people will take big chunks to wipe off the starters in seconds, while some PYTs bussy bees discussing business, sports, politics or girls. usually the last chunks to be pushed to youngest in the thaal.

One active kaakajee would be multitasking consuming the jaman and looking all over for supply khidmatguzaar aka murabbi with baalti or jaman plate, keeping eye on the moving stock in the thaal, they will summon with a wave of hand and loud call or a funny action of plate or baalti holding (are you guys able to visualize it ?)

Once the murabbi comes over, people making way for serving, kakajee will request for ramakadaas ( toys) which basically means meat pieces / boty .. ha ha ha ... I laughed my ass off at this.

Some bearded abdes, dont realize while they are frantically enjoying the meal, the gravy (sarva) / mattha could be falling on thier beard or a random rice grain sparkling in the black bush. it is funny and unsightly.

Hey ... above is just a humorous observation of experiences in the thaal .. i love the experience.

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:06 am

Bro, i know, i was just kidding with you.

My observations on your post, below, in bold
humanbeing wrote:
zinger wrote:Seriously bro, dont sit in the thaal, we will not miss you :lol:
Oh c'mon ! ... this are just observation and my POVs. if you like or yourself enjoying these fun acts in the thaal .. sure .. you have plenty of company out there. Yes i did. they were hilarious, especially the daadhi touching the food

while I have my dedicated thaal group of friends and family, like minded when it comes to thaal manners, so we dont face problems. however ocasionaly I get to sit at random thaals then such behaviour is up setting. but it is ok. I enjoy sitting at random thaals getting to know strangers and have a fun conversation even with spoon slurping kakaji across the thaal. i find the experience amusing and disgusting at same time. a fun learning experience. yeah, i know what you mean

Some people are hilarious, "jaman" is a very very important part of the majlis, and many are particular when it comes to thier dining experience. well, the way to a man's heart is though his stomach right

Location of the thaal : must be near the kitchen and row where thaals are to be distributed first. if at all there is change in plan by the khidmatguzaar to start the thaal from opposit rows, the kakaji gets miffed and disappointed. kakaji would pay close attention to the pattern in which thaal are given away and if there is randon change in the pattern delaying the distribution of thaal, they will cry favoritism. hee hee hee, yeah, ive seen this

Analyzing the menu and deciding who could be the sponsor of the jaman. there are few famous philanthropist in the given area who usually take up the sponsorship and accordingly will be the caterer. trademark kharaas mithaas will be helpful in guessing. hmm... gotta check this out

Some kakajees are in a real hurry to finish off the food, moment thaal is placed on the chumlee .. mission - consumption starts, clock is ticking .. there is frantic movements to organize the namak chakhvu and active kakaji will push the kharaas mithaas in the centre according to sequence of mithaas - kharaaas - mithaas - kharaas. people will take big chunks to wipe off the starters in seconds, while some PYTs bussy bees discussing business, sports, politics or girls. usually the last chunks to be pushed to youngest in the thaal. haa haa haa

One active kaakajee would be multitasking consuming the jaman and looking all over for supply khidmatguzaar aka murabbi with baalti or jaman plate, keeping eye on the moving stock in the thaal, they will summon with a wave of hand and loud call or a funny action of plate or baalti holding (are you guys able to visualize it ?)yeah, you betcha. it will always be a kid they call out to, cause then they can bully him

Once the murabbi comes over, people making way for serving, kakajee will request for ramakadaas ( toys) which basically means meat pieces / boty .. ha ha ha ... I laughed my ass off at this. oh come on, everyone enjoys a good booty.. i mean boty

Some bearded abdes, dont realize while they are frantically enjoying the meal, the gravy (sarva) / mattha could be falling on thier beard or a random rice grain sparkling in the black bush. it is funny and unsightly.

Hey ... above is just a humorous observation of experiences in the thaal .. i love the experience. ok, i take my words back. you can sit in the thaal with us anytime :D

blue

Unread post by blue » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:17 am

Mkenya wrote: but to those who have been to a 'jamanvar' of Hindus, 'niaz' of Sunnis would definitely agree that our way is the best. One has only to see the way food is partaken and the mounds of their 'ethwaad' to reflect on how we are much better.

Generally Bohra localities are not situated in or around posh areas of cities in india. they have poor non bohra muslim bastis around . the comparison is always with these poor muslims or lower middle class hindus. so we think we are the best. many people here i assume are from mumbai, abroad or big cities, but in small towns and villages such things are very common.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:23 pm

The one breaking the fry murghi will ensure that the leg piece falls in his direction :lol: