Dawoodi bohra names

If you have questions or want to share knowledge about Dawoodi Bohra religions and rituals please post them here. Any discussion outside the framework of Dawoodi Bohra beliefs and tradition is not allowed. This forum is primarily for sharing of information and knowledge.
Alifia

Dawoodi bohra names

Unread post by Alifia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:23 am

Hello,
I hope you are all well.
I registered on this forum to get answers to some issue I ask myself.

First, I just want to say that I'm not against religion to avoid any misunderstanding.

Is it an obligation to do arzi for newborn names ? Parent's can't choose themself theirs baby names ? If parents choose themself baby names, it bring bad luck ?
Some names can be found in the Quran. But what about those who aren't in the Quran ? Moreover, we all know the real meaning of our names ? It's been years that I seek the meaning of my name. Nobody has an answer for me.

Is it possible to give a list of names (personal choice of 2 names for baby boys and girl) to Aqua Maula ?
Anyone can say some list of names allowed ?

Thank you.

SBM

Re: Dawoodi bohra names

Unread post by SBM » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:03 am

Alifia
Welcome to this forum, Hope you can learn good things from discussion here and ignore unnecessary name calling
As far as Naming your children, I talked to couple of Islamic Scholars (NOT BOHRA) and they told me that Quran mentions that Allaha has sent a messenger and around 200000 were there and not all their names are mentioned in Quran so there is nothing wrong with any name like John and Paul even Gopal or Ram
As far as Bohra names I have heard names like LULWA given by Aqa Moula and when asked the meaning I was told because it is the name of the Masjid some where in Middle East
Abizer means GAAI NU BACHUU so you figure out what JUZER means.
The only names which Muslims prohibit are 99 names of Allaha and names of enemy of Prophet and Ahl e Bayt (Shia consider Umer-Usman-Abu Baker and Aaisha as enemies while Hazart Ali has sons names after them)
Make your own judgment and depending which part of the world you reside try to name your children so it is easy for locals to pronounce.

Biradar

Unread post by Biradar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:46 am

SBM wrote: Abizer means GAAI NU BACHUU so you figure out what JUZER means.
Please educate yourself some more. Abizer is a name derived from Abū Dhar al-Ghifāri, a companion of the prophet and one of the very early supporters of Maulana Ali. Besides Abū Dhar, the other early companions of Ali were Ammar, Miqdad and Salman. In the firament of Shi'a heroes, these four occupy a very loft position.

Alifia

Unread post by Alifia » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:34 am

SBM wrote:The only names which Muslims prohibit are 99 names of Allaha
The name "Aziz" and "Ali" figures among the 99 names of Allah right ?
They are a lot of bohra who are called Aziz and Ali.
So Rahim, Malik, Kudus, Sami, Hakam, Hakim, Samad etc...are forbidden ?

And what about girls names ? For exemple Batoul, Insiyah, Djoumana, Maria, Sarah, Salma, Zainabe, Roukaya etc...where did theirs name come from ? What is the meaning of theirs names ?

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:05 am

Alifia Ben

You may have to bribe the aamil by flattery and/or money salaam to have your choice of name approved by kothar ... all the best !

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:24 pm

you can keep the names of Allah as long as you do not add an "Al" in front of them like the kotharis have done with their dead dai calling him Al-Hayy. To do this is a major sin.

You can have the name "Aziz" but not the title "Al-Aziz". That is how Allah refers to himself in the Quran. Always with an Al.

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:25 am

anajmi wrote:You can have the name "Aziz" but not the title "Al-Aziz". That is how Allah refers to himself in the Quran. Always with an Al.
interesting, makes sense. Just the name is an adjective but when one adds "Al" it becomes a noun and that noun belongs to Allah. surprisingly I have come across names in bohra one such name is : Al-azhar , or could it be Ali-azhar ,, but that does not make sense.

asad

Unread post by asad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:06 am

humanbeing wrote:
anajmi wrote:You can have the name "Aziz" but not the title "Al-Aziz". That is how Allah refers to himself in the Quran. Always with an Al.
interesting, makes sense. Just the name is an adjective but when one adds "Al" it becomes a noun and that noun belongs to Allah. surprisingly I have come across names in bohra one such name is : Al-azhar , or could it be Ali-azhar ,, but that does not make sense.
Not only AL Azhar, Qasre mawali has many such names like Al Aqmar, Al Iqyaan.