Concept of nass

If you have questions or want to share knowledge about Dawoodi Bohra religions and rituals please post them here. Any discussion outside the framework of Dawoodi Bohra beliefs and tradition is not allowed. This forum is primarily for sharing of information and knowledge.
kimanumanu

Concept of nass

Unread post by kimanumanu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:36 am

After the current split in our community and the never ending debate about nass, I have been attempting to learn more from a historical perspective and came across this paper by Paul E Walker that is interesting to say the least.
ConflictingImamates.pdf
(5.47 MiB) Downloaded 415 times
I would be grateful to the more knowledgeable members of the forum if they offer their views on what this paper is stating.

Michigan

Re: Concept of nass

Unread post by Michigan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Read the entire paper and it has raised more questions for me than answers. The paper emphasizes on supposedly changed decision of succession based on circumstance however traditional Fatimi thought does not allow for this phenomena. The title of ruler of mumineen as described is confusing to say the least and does not always transfer to the Imam as per Tayyibi sect. The difference between pretenders and progeny after elongated periods of occultations is vague and the paper only cites historians who may have been under taqiyya while putting together these accounts, saying it does not show the phase in history these accounts were written.

Also if history is used as a basis for judgement for the current dispute, how far back do we go into history to support a claim and would the decision be made on literal interpretations of past decisions chronologically from oldest to "recent" or vice versa? Also whose accounts would be cited as reference? Non-partisan historians or from wider Fatimi literature?

Michigan

Re: Concept of nass

Unread post by Michigan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Also puts into perspective that we are a smaller group (Bohra) of a smaller group (Tayyibi) of a smaller group (Mustali) of a smaller group (Ismaili) of a smaller group (Shia).