Arab Realities -- "Contain And Amplify"

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
ghulam muhammed

Arab Realities -- "Contain And Amplify"

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri May 29, 2015 5:33 pm

Contain and Amplify

The Arab world is a pluralistic region that lacks pluralism — the ability to manage and embrace differences peacefully. As such, the Middle East’s pluralistic character — Sunnis, Shiites, Kurds, Christians, Druze, Alawites, Jews, Copts, Yazidis, Turkmen and an array of tribes — has long been managed by iron fists from above. But after we removed the fists in Iraq and Libya, without putting a new bottom-up order in place, and the people themselves tried to remove the fists in Syria and Yemen, without putting a new live-and-let-live order in place, a horrifying war of all against all has exploded.

The fighting has laid bare just how much the last 60 years of predatory leadership in that region failed at human development and citizenship building. The whole Arab world package, with its artificially straight-line borders, was held together by oil and brute force. In the wreckage, people are falling back on the only identities they think might keep them safe: tribe and sect. It is a measure of how far things have unraveled that many Iraqi Sunnis prefer the lunatic Islamic State, or ISIS, than to fight and die for a pro-Iranian Shiite-led government in Baghdad. I have never seen it this bad. The Middle East analyst Simon Henderson captured the disintegration well in an essay in The Wall Street Journal in March, writing, “The violent chaos in Yemen isn’t orderly enough to merit being called a civil war.”

The fundamentalist mind-set seems to be taking hold everywhere. The Middle East Media Research Institute recently posted a video from last month of Sheikh Dr. Ahmad Al-Naqib, a lecturer on education at Mansoura University north of Cairo, criticizing ISIS, but he added, “There is no doubt that they are much better than the criminal Rafidites [Shiites], who kill the Sunnis because of their Sunni identity.”

Otto Scharmer, an economist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who works with communities trapped in perpetual conflicts, defines the main features of the fundamentalist mind-set by its opposites: What is the opposite of an open mind? he asks. “You are stuck in one truth.” What is the opposite of an open heart? “You are stuck in one collective skin; everything is us-versus-them and, therefore, empathy for the other is impossible.” And what is the opposite of an open will? “You are enslaved to old intentions that originate in the past and not from the present, and so you cannot open up to any emerging new opportunities.”

If that zero-sum mind-set continues to prevail, you can only weep for the future of this region when there is much less oil, many more kids, and much less water. It will be a freak show.

For now, I see only two ways coherent self-government can re-emerge in Libya, Iraq, Yemen and Syria: If an outside power totally occupies them, snuffs out their sectarian wars, suppresses the extremists and spends the next 50 years trying to get Iraqis, Syrians, Yemenis and Libyans to share power as equal citizens. Even that might not work. Anyway, it’s not going to happen. The other is just wait for the fires to burn themselves out. The Lebanese civil war ended after 14 years by reconciliation-through-exhaustion. All sides accepted the principle of “no victor/no vanquished,” and everyone got a piece of the pie. That’s how Tunisia’s factions managed to find stability: no victor/no vanquished.

We cannot effectively intervene in a region where so few share our goals. For instance, in Iraq and Syria, both Iran and Saudi Arabia have acted as “arsonists” and “firefighters.” First, Iran pushed the Iraqi Shiite government to crush the Sunnis. When that produced ISIS, they sent pro-Iranian militias to put out the fire. Thanks a lot. And Saudi Arabia’s long promotion of the puritanical, anti-pluralistic, anti-women, Wahhabi brand of Islam helped to shape the thinking of ISIS and the Sunni fundamentalists who joined them. The Saudis, too, are arsonists and firefighters. Indeed, ISIS is like a missile that got its guidance system from Saudi Arabia and its fuel from Iran.

U.S. policy now should be “containment, plus amplification.” Let’s help those who manifest the will to contain ISIS, like Jordan, Lebanon, the United Arab Emirates and the Kurds in Iraq, and amplify any constructive things that groups in Yemen, Iraq, Libya, or Syria are ready to do with their power, but we must not substitute our power for theirs. This has to be their fight for their future. If the fight against ISIS is not worth it to them, it surely can’t be for us.

I was behind a car this weekend that had a Virginia license plate bearing the motto “Fight Terrorism.” Sorry, but I don’t think that should be on any state’s license plate. We’ve spent more than a decade of lives and treasure trying to “fight terrorism” to fix a part of the world that can’t be fixed from the outside. It has been a waste. I wish it had worked. The world would be better for it. But it didn’t. And the beginning of wisdom is admitting that and stopping throwing good money after bad. We need to stop being the “United States of Fighting Terrorism.” If Virginians need a license plate motto, how about: “Contain and Amplify Abroad. Build Virginia at Home.”☐

anajmi

Re: Arab Realities -- "Contain And Amplify"

Unread post by anajmi » Fri May 29, 2015 9:54 pm

The problem is that the Americans didnt actually go in there to fight terrorism or to being peace and prosperity to that region. Their goal was to bring chaos and control over oil. They failed miserably at both and now to save face, they will continue down this road of murder and mayhem to prove themselves right.

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Sun May 31, 2015 2:45 am

they themselves should be blamed for allowing americans to take control for their lives. silly of them.
sometimes i wonder why allah send quran to the most jaahil people living on this earth.
then as an afterthought i think it was coz attention is needed to most deprived ppl only.
so that more thinking ppl can benefit from them.
so it has happend.
other people have taken lessons from it, but the most jaahil have remained as its save a few, as mentioned in quran itself--illa qalila

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Sun May 31, 2015 11:19 am

This is what happens to idol worshippers. They do not know left from right. They just referred to their own idols as jaahils!

By the way, in my opinion you are a jaahil. According to you, bikini is a modest dress as per the quran. That is jahaalat 101.

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:03 am

hello bro
ur opinion has no relevance to me--i am fine with it.
thanks it is not quranic opinion. that is what matters to me most.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:22 am

After talking about bikinis being the quranic dress code, you should not be talking about Quranic opinions.

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:21 am

thanks that is also ur opinion and not quranic.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:52 am

Correct. Unlike others, I am not in the habit of projecting my personal opinions on the Quran!!

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:31 am

so then why say hijab wearing is command of allah?

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:21 am

qutub_mamajiwala wrote:so then why say hijab wearing is command of allah?
Brother Qutub

ASAK

Here is part of Aya 24:31
It is apparent that by this Aya and some Hadith would justify wearing of head cover and loose long clothing. Just like salat/Namaaz you need to analyse and understand it.

I hope you will understand it.

Wasalaam
Aya 24:31 (partial)
“...and not display their beauty except what is apparent, and they should place their khumur over their bosoms...”

There are two issues about this sentence.

(1) What is the meaning of “khumur” used in this verse?

Khumurخُمُرٌ is plural of khimarخِمَارٌ, the veil covering the head. See any Arabic dictionary like Lisanu ’l-‘Arab, Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn or al-Munjid.

Al-Munjid, which is the most popular dictionary in the Arab world, defines al-khimar as “something with which a woman conceals her head—ما تغطى به المرأة رأسها .” Fakhru ’d-Din al-Turayhi in Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn (which is a dictionary of Qur’anic and hadith terms) defines al-khimar as “scarf, and it is known as such because the head is covered with it.”[3]

So the word khimar, by definition, means a piece of cloth that covers the head.

(2) Then what does the clause “placing the khumur over the bosoms” mean?

According to the commentators of the Qur’an, the women of Medina in the pre-Islamic era used to put their khumur over the head with the two ends tucked behind and tied at the back of the neck, in the process exposing their ears and neck. By saying that, “place the khumur over the bosoms,” Almighty Allah ordered the women to let the two ends of their headgear extend onto their bosoms so that they conceal their ears, the neck, and the upper part of the bosom also.[/i ][4]

This is confirmed by the way the Muslim women of the Prophet’s era understood this commandment of Almighty Allah. The Sunni sources quote Ummu ’l-mu’minin ‘A’isha, the Prophet’s wife, as follows: “I have not seen women better than those of al-Ansar (the inhabitants of Medina): when this verse was revealed, all of them got hold of their aprons, tore them apart, and used them to cover their heads...”[5]

The meaning of khimar and the context in which the verse was revealed clearly talks about concealing the head and then using the loose ends of the scarf to conceal the neck and the bosom. It is absurd to believe that the Qur’an would use the word khimar (which, by definition, means a cloth that covers the head) only to conceal the bosom with the exclusion of the head! It would be like saying to put on your shirt only around the belly or the waist without covering the chest!

Finally the verse goes on to give the list of the mahram – male family members in whose presence the hijabis not required, such as the husband, the father, the father-in-law, the son(s), and others.

The Second Verse

In Chapter 33 known as al-Ahzab, verse 59, Allah gives the following command to Prophet Muhammad:

“O Prophet! Say toyour wives, your daughters, and the women of the believers that: they should let down upon themselves their jalabib.”

What is the meaning of “jalabib”?

Jalabibجَلاَبِيْبٌis the plural of jilbabجِلْبَابٌ, which means a loose outer garment. See any Arabic dictionary like Lisanu ’l-‘Arab, Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn or al-Munjid.

Al-Munjid, for instance, defines jilbab as “the shirt or a wide dress—القميص أو الثوب الواسع.” While al-Turayhi, in Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn, defines it as “a wide dress, wider than the scarf and shorter than a robe, that a woman puts upon her head and lets it down on her bosom...”[6]

This means that the Islamic dress code for women does not only consist of a scarf that covers the head, the neck and the bosom; it also includes the overall dress that should be long and loose.

So, for instance, the combination of a tight, short sweater with tight-fitting jeans with a scarf over the head does not fulfill the requirements of the Islamic dress code.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:50 am

Because it is.

KA786110

Unread post by KA786110 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:26 pm

anajmi wrote:
Because it is.
Where? There is no specific clothing guidelines besides modesty.

All three in the image below are wearing modest clothes:
[img]
Modest.png
[/img]

Two are wearing western modest clothing and one is wearing combo western/Arab modest dress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:41 pm

I have asked you people time and time again. Please quote the ayah which says - "dress modestly" and nothing else.

KA786110

Unread post by KA786110 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:00 pm

anajmi wrote:
I have asked you people time and time again. Please quote the ayah which says - "dress modestly" and nothing else.
The answer to your question is here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7432

Please re-read the first post in that thread.

And where does it in Qur'an says that all women have to wear specifically Hijab, shuttle cock burqah etc. ?

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Let me repeat my question -
ka786 wrote :
anajmi wrote :
Please quote the ayah which says - "dress modestly" and nothing else.
And let me confirm. You have no clue.

KA786110

Unread post by KA786110 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:09 pm

anajmi wrote:Let me repeat my question -
ka786 wrote :
And let me confirm. You have no clue.
And your lack of intelligence has no bottom. :mrgreen:

And I repeat: The answer to your question is here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7432

Please re-read the first post in that thread.

And where does it in Qur'an says that all women have to wear specifically Hijab, shuttle cock burqah etc. ?

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Let me try this again - Where in the Quran does it say "dress modestly" and nothing else. Please find it from that post you keep referring to and post it over here. I read that post multiple times and didn't find it. Perhaps you will be able to simplify things. Unless you have no clue either (which I know you don't).

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:37 pm

By the way the commands for the hijab are in surah 24:30 31 and surah 33:32,33,58 and 59.

And if someone comes back and says that these commands are only for the wives of the prophet (saw) then i say that behaving like the wives of the prophet is better than behaving like prostitutes.

KA786110

Unread post by KA786110 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:27 pm

No wonder with that type of gutter thinking you and your ilk are heading towards dark ages. These modern time must appear to you as an alien world. That is why your brethren are trying take the entire humanity to uncivilized times.

The Qur'an gives some general rules, hopefully they may help you in understanding about dress and other rules in current times:

Surah 7:26

O ye Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover your shame, as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness,- that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition!

So dress/clothing does not have to be drab: it is all right for both male and females to use clothing to enhance beauty as well as to cover nakedness. The most important thing is to be modest and righteous.

Please re-read Surah 24 : 30-31again. First you will need to remove your blinkers.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Good thing. I thought you actually had an ayah which said "dress modestly" and nothing else. Do you even understand the ayahs that you are quoting? Besides, 7:26 doesn't negate the ayahs of hijab but compliments them. Bikini is still not modest cause no one will argue that bikini covers your shame other than complete idiots like yourself and mamaji, and hijab remains the pristine Islamic dress. I think this debate is over!.

KA786110

Unread post by KA786110 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:09 pm

anajmi wrote:Good thing. I thought you actually had an ayah which said "dress modestly" and nothing else. Do you even understand the ayahs that you are quoting? Besides, 7:26 doesn't negate the ayahs of hijab but compliments them. Bikini is still not modest cause no one will argue that bikini covers your shame other than complete idiots like yourself and mamaji, and hijab remains the pristine Islamic dress. I think this debate is over!.
Huh, when did i say anything about bikini? Do not try to ascribe sentences to me which I have not uttered. With your gutter thinking, what else can we expect. You little shameless person!

There is nowhere in Qur'an where it says that you should imprison women in your so called draconian hijab (burqah etc). Modesty is the key. God even tells that men and women should keep their gaze low. But you are not of the people who can understand. As far as the debate is concerned, it was closed long ago, the moment you lost your cool. :P

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:45 pm

KA786110 wrote:
Please re-read Surah 24 : 30-31again. First you will need to remove your blinkers.
Here is read of 24:30-31 by Shakir and comments by Pooya, both Shia

Sura 24:30 and 31

قُلْ لِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ يَغُضُّوا مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِمْ وَيَحْفَظُوا فُرُوجَهُمْ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ أَزْكَىٰ لَهُمْ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ خَبِيرٌ بِمَا يَصْنَعُونَ {30}
Literal 24:30

Say to the believing men they should lower their gaze and they should guard their chastity. That (is) purer for them. Indeed, Allah (is) All-Aware of what they do.

[Shakir 24:30] Say to the believing men that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts; that is purer for them; surely Allah

Shahi International

Tell the believing men to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what they do rule of modesty applies to men as well as women.

It is man, as the stronger sex, who ignites the flame of passion into woman, so he is addressed first to observe the rules of discipline mentioned in these verses. Not to look freely at the faces of the women who are not his sisters, daughters, mothers or wives is the fundamental injunction to put a complete ban on the lusting with the eyes which serves as a most powerful agency for the prevention and control of sexual crimes. The way in which sense-perceptions give rise to sex stimulation can hardly be overrated. Islam does not allow free and unrestricted intermingling of the sexes. It insists upon segregation of the sexes and bans altogether lewd audio and video presentation of life, real as well as imaginary. It completely bans every form of nudity.

On account of the differentiation of the sexes in nature, temperament, and social life, a stricter discipline is required for woman than for man, especially in the matter of dress and public exhibition of the beauty of the body. Zinat implies the beauty of the body as well as the adornment a women adds to make it more attractive and stimulating.

The woman is asked not to make a display of her figure except to the classes of people mentioned in verse 31.

It is reported that once Abdullah bin Makhtum, a blind companion of the Holy Prophet, came to meet him at his daughter's house. Bibi Fatimah immediately went inside her room. Afterwards she told her father that she went away because, although Abdullah was a blind man, she was not. Earlier in a similar situation the Holy Prophet had advised his wives Ummi Salima and Maymuna not to stay in the company of even a blind man like Abdullah because of the same reason Bibi Fatimah had given.

The Holy Prophet has strongly disapproved the women who do not keep their bodies clean and attractive for their husbands, or give false excuses to avoid the fulfilment of their husband's desires. He has also condemned the husbands who allow their wives to display the beauty of their bodies to others. In another tradition it is stated that the Holy Prophet has advised all wives to obey the instructions of their husbands, no matter what the circumstances are, because obedience and faithfulness unto their husbands would earn forgiveness of the sins they have committed.

Aqa Mahdi Puya says:

These verses contain the legislation regarding modesty in dress, and discipline in intermingling of sexes, for both men and women. Women are not allowed to display their parts of body, adorned or not, to men except those mentioned in verse 31. They have to cover their bodies except face, hands (from the wrist) and feet (including ankles), but they should not be adorned as to stimulate sexual desire when they go out of their homes. There is no restriction on them if they have to come out from their houses. In any event what the Muslim women are doing under the influence of western civilisation is against the tenets of Islam.

Aya 24:31

وَقُلْ لِلْمُؤْمِنَاتِ يَغْضُضْنَ مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِنَّ وَيَحْفَظْنَ فُرُوجَهُنَّ وَلَا يُبْدِينَ زِينَتَهُنَّ إِلَّا مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا ۖ وَلْيَضْرِبْنَ بِخُمُرِهِنَّ عَلَىٰ جُيُوبِهِنَّ ۖ وَلَا يُبْدِينَ زِينَتَهُنَّ إِلَّا لِبُعُولَتِهِنَّ أَوْ آبَائِهِنَّ أَوْ آبَاءِ بُعُولَتِهِنَّ أَوْ أَبْنَائِهِنَّ أَوْ أَبْنَاءِ بُعُولَتِهِنَّ أَوْ إِخْوَانِهِنَّ أَوْ بَنِي إِخْوَانِهِنَّ أَوْ بَنِي أَخَوَاتِهِنَّ أَوْ نِسَائِهِنَّ أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُهُنَّ أَوِ التَّابِعِينَ غَيْرِ أُولِي الْإِرْبَةِ مِنَ الرِّجَالِ أَوِ الطِّفْلِ الَّذِينَ لَمْ يَظْهَرُوا عَلَىٰ عَوْرَاتِ النِّسَاءِ ۖ وَلَا يَضْرِبْنَ بِأَرْجُلِهِنَّ لِيُعْلَمَ مَا يُخْفِينَ مِنْ زِينَتِهِنَّ ۚ وَتُوبُوا إِلَى اللَّهِ جَمِيعًا أَيُّهَ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ {31}
Literal 24:31 (Word by Word)

And say to the believing women (that) they should lower [of] their gaze and they should guard their chastity, and not (to) display their adornment except what is apparent of it. And let them their head covers over their bosoms, and not (to) display their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers or fathers (of) their husbands or their sons or sons (of) their husbands or their brothers or sons (of) their brothers or sons (of) their sisters, or their women or what possess their right hands or the attendants having no physical desire among [the] men or [the] children who (are) not aware of private aspects (of) the women. And not let them their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah altogether O believers! So that you may

Shahin international 24:31

And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.

[Shakir 24:31] And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known; and turn to Allah all of you, O believers! so that you may be successful.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 24:31] (see commentary for verse 30)

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:03 am

[s nowhere in Qur'an where it says that you should imprison women in your so called draconian hijab (burqah etc). Modesty is the key. God even tells that men and women should keep their gaze low. But you are not of the people who can understand. As far as the debate is concerned, it was closed long ago, the moment you lost your cool. :P
Quranic Ayas concerning Hijab (Khimar) and covering dress has been mentioned in this and thread on Hijab. Some people cannot get their head out of Sand.

True
You can take HORSE to water but cannot make him drink

Wasalaam

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:02 am

IMG_20170207_072614.jpg
IMG_20170207_072611.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:59 am

"look at the positive side of it ... they care for thier women so much that they do not have to stand in Star Bucks line waiting for thier coffee. also this notice applied to rich women only, so that women can use their time in more productive activities"