A Bohra muslim's search for God

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
FakhruddinMAdamji

A Bohra muslim's search for God

Unread post by FakhruddinMAdamji » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:20 pm

I turned 71 yesterday. I was born in Zanzibar where we enjoyed Islam and Bohra traditions as if in heaven. Much has chnged since then. Last week I published a story of my spiritual journey (deleted by Moderator ) "Zanzibar to Chicago: A Bohra muslim's search for God". And let me know what you think of it.

SBM

Re: A Bohra muslim's search for God

Unread post by SBM » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:12 am

After reading the acknowledgments in the preview of the book, I like to know more about Author and his family before giving free publicity for him to sell his book on this forum.
http://www.amazon.com/Zanzibar-Chicago- ... 1515248283

dal-chaval-palidu

Unread post by dal-chaval-palidu » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:24 am

Fakhruddin bhai,

Can you please provide a brief summary of what you are conveying in your book?

A condensed version of your journey in search of God.

Thanks.

dal-chaval-palidu

Unread post by dal-chaval-palidu » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:55 pm

FakhruddinMAdamji wrote:I turned 71 yesterday. I was born in Zanzibar where we enjoyed Islam and Bohra traditions as if in heaven. Much has chnged since then. Last week I published a story of my spiritual journey (deleted by Moderator ) "Zanzibar to Chicago: A Bohra muslim's search for God". And let me know what you think of it.
A belated happy birthday. And I wish you many happy and healthy years ahead.

kimanumanu

Unread post by kimanumanu » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:05 am

FakhruddinMAdamji wrote:I turned 71 yesterday. I was born in Zanzibar where we enjoyed Islam and Bohra traditions as if in heaven. Much has chnged since then. Last week I published a story of my spiritual journey (deleted by Moderator ) "Zanzibar to Chicago: A Bohra muslim's search for God". And let me know what you think of it.
I have read your book and it was a short, compelling read. I felt that it ended a bit abruptly though - however, the last chapter where you point out similarities between Islam and Hinduism caught my attention. You sort of left it hanging there - can you expand more on it?

FakhruddinMAdamji

Unread post by FakhruddinMAdamji » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:32 pm

I am a Bohra from Zanzibar. My mother was born there and my father was brought there at the age of 4. We enjoyed a very peaceful community life with no interference from India. In the book I describe a typical day in our life on the island. We paid the Jamaat dues appropriately. We had our own primary school and gymkhana and community hall. The revolution on the island upset our lives. We lost our possessions. Most of us relocated. In our new places of relocation, which was a difficuly in itself, in stead of feeling comforted by the community leadership, the members felt and increasingly feel even more anxiety created by the new rules and regulations (such as Dadhi and wearing of caps at work) and increased dues to be paid etc. Religion should provide peace and love to people, No help was in sight for scholarships for qualified children - compare that to Ismailis. Help for me came from Karimjee Jivanjee who have been excommunicated. All this did not appear to be right. I was disappointed and started looking other ways to center myself. The discovery of similar theology in religions including even Hinduism was the most amazing because we grew up being told that we should not even eat with Hindus and we were taught to pronounce Laanut on Sunni saints. I find our teachings of islaam rather cultish. Pure Islaam is not that. Divisions within islaam are political as far as I am concerned.
I am an internist , Have been since 1974. I still practice. That is my educational and professional background. The quotes from Al Qur'an and Gita are not made up. They are available to everyone who is curious to find out. I hope you enjoy the book.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Dr Adamji
Do you go to Markaz in Chicago or you have left the fold. BTW SKQ's daughter Dr Tahera teaches at Univ of Chicago and resides in Chicago.

FakhruddinMAdamji

Unread post by FakhruddinMAdamji » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:35 am

I stopped going to Markaz many years ago. . I did call the lady a few months ago and chatted with her but then I got too busy to go to meet her. I have read her beautiful translations. Needless to say I am very disappointedwith what is going on in our society on several fronts to try to reengage at this time.

As regards what I am trying to say in the story is this:
1 I describe how beautifully a muslim lives his life. I feel the western world has no real clue; even some learned friends do not have a good idea. By knowing muslim"s ways better they may feel differently about muslims and Islam.
2 I am trying to show how through proper understanding and practice, the path to happiness is through discovering the God within our hearts, and that all religions try to teach that path. It can only be achieved through study, contemplation, and vigilant self examination.
3 The path to god does not come from worship of a human being. Even the prophet did not want people to worship him. therefore what I see going on in today's society including our religion, is not good. The society is for mutual support, friendship and protection of the needy and the less fortunate; to provide a stable life with peace of mind through mutual respect and love. When respect and care and love are replaced with fear and pressure, there is no peace of mind and belonging to such society becomes unpleasant.

Al-Noor

Unread post by Al-Noor » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:38 am

Very good read liked it...Jazakallah

dal-chaval-palidu

Unread post by dal-chaval-palidu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:17 am

FakhruddinMAdamji wrote:I stopped going to Markaz many years ago. . I did call the lady a few months ago and chatted with her but then I got too busy to go to meet her. I have read her beautiful translations. Needless to say I am very disappointedwith what is going on in our society on several fronts to try to reengage at this time.

As regards what I am trying to say in the story is this:
1 I describe how beautifully a muslim lives his life. I feel the western world has no real clue; even some learned friends do not have a good idea. By knowing muslim"s ways better they may feel differently about muslims and Islam.
2 I am trying to show how through proper understanding and practice, the path to happiness is through discovering the God within our hearts, and that all religions try to teach that path. It can only be achieved through study, contemplation, and vigilant self examination.
3 The path to god does not come from worship of a human being. Even the prophet did not want people to worship him. therefore what I see going on in today's society including our religion, is not good. The society is for mutual support, friendship and protection of the needy and the less fortunate; to provide a stable life with peace of mind through mutual respect and love. When respect and care and love are replaced with fear and pressure, there is no peace of mind and belonging to such society becomes unpleasant.
Thank you. Inshallah, I will read your book.

WiththenameofAllah

Unread post by WiththenameofAllah » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:38 pm

So happy to read your post now i will read your book.

kimanumanu

Unread post by kimanumanu » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:39 am

Thank you Dr. Adamji for expanding further on your book. I agree with your point about not worshiping a fellow human being - and increasingly this is what our Bohra community has become. People are more scared of kothar/amil/shehzada than Allah SWT!