Vegetarians and Islam

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
Deerseye

Vegetarians and Islam

Unread post by Deerseye » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:33 am

This may sound a lil naive to some but I would like to know that if I am a vegetarian by preference am I going against the tenets of Islam?

porus

Re: Vegetarians and Islam

Unread post by porus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:00 am

Tenets of Islam according to whom?

Your question should be "Is the Quran against being a Vegetarian? or "Does the Quran force you to eat meat?" The answer is "NO" in both cases.

There used to be a story circulating among Bohras in which Ali ibn Abi Talib is supposed to have said, "Eat meat at least once in forty days, otherwise you are not a Muslim."

What he actually said was, "If you eat meat, do not eat it more than once in forty days".

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:12 am

What he actually said was, "If you eat meat, do not eat it more than once in forty days".
Did he also say - "otherwise you are not a Muslim"? If he did say that, then pretty much all bohras are screwed unless economically challenged.

I would also ask the bohras to rethink the slogan - "Live like Ali, Die like Hussain". Maybe change it to "Live like Ali once in forty days". :wink:

porus

Unread post by porus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:22 am

"If you eat meat, do not eat it more than once in forty days".
The advice from Ali is for all, Muslims and non-Muslims.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Correct, but only the chosen ones claim to "Live like Ali".

Getting a bit more serious, Ali's advise is geared towards vegetarianism. I don't think it is authentic. Islam does not advise vegetarianism. Ali's advise might be his personal preference. If we were to find out one advise of Ali that is most ignored, I would assume it to be this one.

The bohra version sounds more authentic than the authentic version.

Starwars

Unread post by Starwars » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:31 am

Deerseye wrote:This may sound a lil naive to some but I would like to know that if I am a vegetarian by preference am I going against the tenets of Islam?
Our body is designed to eat flesh because we have two intestines and four canines two up and two down in the set of 32 teeth which are used to tear flesh. The Holy Quran specifies what types of flesh we are allowed, such as fish with scales and animals which regurgitate, etc, are halaal. It is a matter of choice if you are a vegetarian but dont beat yourself for it. Read! as Allah told Rasulullah - Iqra bis-mi Rabbih! (read in the name of Allah)! Don't be naive.