I knew that.........

This forum covers a whole range of issues: from international politics and economy to human rights, from corporate domination and greed to environmental crises...
turbocanuck

I knew that.........

Unread post by turbocanuck » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:51 pm

Another Proud Sunni Moment.....
At the presentation of the study there were also MPs like Mohsen Radi, exponent of the Muslim Brotherhood, who remarked how the aggressors "do not spare even the God-fearing women, wearing the hijab (the veil on the head) or the niqab (which exposes only the eyes)". "The majority of the victims refuse to report the aggressions.

Not reporting eh? hmmmm. Hey woman did you have FOUR witnesses? you deserve to get killed or raped more for being a victim (hadith)??? naah...

turbocanuck

Re: I knew that.........

Unread post by turbocanuck » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:52 pm

Oops!! sorry forgot to post the link.......

http://www.ansamed.info/en/news/ME03.@AM18445.html

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:21 pm

I condemn it.

Thai

Unread post by Thai » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 am

I read a similar article some time ago which gave more details about Egypt's harrasment issue. Apparently, the reporter asked a few men why they participated in harrasment, and they replied that they were "bored". Anyway, the article went on to mention that most all foreign victims of harrasment reported it but very few Egyptian women did. The writer of the article concluded that it may be because the Egyptian women had no idea that being protected from such behaviour was their "right".

By the way, harrasment on such a social scale is not a "muslim" issue alone. This was also the case of Japan's post war generation---They had a habit of harrassing young women on crowded public transportation systems---so much so that Japan toyed with the idea of having "women only" sections.

Thai

Unread post by Thai » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:53 am

One small step for Islam, One giant leap for women?

It is good to see positive stories of Islam/muslims now and then.

Women-led Muslim wedding sparks debate in India

BISWAJEET BANERJEE

The Associated Press

LUCKNOW, India - A Muslim marriage in northern India officiated by women has sparked an angry debate, with one of the most influential Islamic seminaries in South Asia calling it an affront to the religion.

Naish Hasan, the 28-year-old bride and a women's rights activist, and Imran Ali, the 41-year-old groom, were married last week in a ceremony that is believed to be the first of its kind in India.

Muslim marriages are traditionally officiated by a man, often a local community leader. The signing of the wedding contract is also witnessed by four Muslim males, two each for the bride and groom.

But the marriage last Wednesday in the northern city of Lucknow was presided over by a woman and all the witnesses were female. The only man involved in the wedding was Ali.

Women's rights activists have greeted the marriage as a symbolic step forward for Muslim women, but the ceremony sparked a firestorm of criticism from conservative Islamic institutions, especially the Dar-ul-Uloom seminary in northern India.

The seminary is an intellectual hub for South Asian Muslims. Many of its theologians have publicly denounced terrorism but their work has nonetheless provided the intellectual underpinning for some of the most radical and violent Islamic movements in the region, such as the Taliban in Afghanistan.

An official at Dar-ul-Uloom, Ahmad Khizar Shah Masudi, called the marriage a "cruel joke on (Islamic) laws."

Another Muslim group, the Lucknow Idgah Committee, has said the marriage is invalid under Islamic law.

Hasan, the bride, works for Bharatiya Muslim Mahila Aandolan, or the Indian Muslim Women's Movement, a rights group that seeks a greater role for women in Indian Muslim society.

Hasan brushed off the criticism. "I do not care. Islam says there cannot be anyone between Allah and his disciple. How come these clergymen are interfering in our matter?" she said Thursday.

India, a predominantly Hindu country with a sizable Muslim minority, allows marriage, divorce and inheritance matters to be determined by religious laws, and the couple's unorthodox ceremony was approved by the All India Muslim Personal Law Board, which sets the rules on Muslim religious matters.

But Maulana Khalid Rashid Firangimahali of the board said, "I won't ask anyone to go for this kind of marriage."

Muslim religious leaders have for decades closely guarded the powers accorded them under the so-called personal laws and have resisted any attempts to dilute their authority.

But a small group of liberal Muslims in India have made several attempts in recent years to challenge traditional male dominance within the religion.

In 2005, a group of Muslim women established the All India Muslim Women Personal Law Board, saying that the All India Muslim Personal Law Board wasn't doing enough to protect women's rights.

Earlier this year, the group's leader, Shaista Amber, led a group of women in prayer at a major mosque in Lucknow, breaking with tradition, which does not allow men and women to pray together.