tyeb mehta is dead

This forum covers a whole range of issues: from international politics and economy to human rights, from corporate domination and greed to environmental crises...
makberi

tyeb mehta is dead

Unread post by makberi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:12 am

One of the most famous indian painter Tyeb Mehta passes away

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indi ... 727574.cms

Can someone confirm whether he was born a bohra or not...seems so from this article about him below.....

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 372196.cms

ghulam muhammed

Re: tyeb mehta is dead

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:58 pm

I too have heard that he was a dawoodi bohra.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:05 pm

The Death column of Bombay Samachar of today has this insertion:
the Son of Late Kalimuddin and Asma Mehta hailing from Kapadwanj and presently residing at Mumbai, Tayeb Mehta (age 94), he was husband of Sakina, Father of Yusuf and Himanina.............has expired on 2-7-2009. Sipara on 3-7-2009 at 11 am at Santacruz masjid.

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:41 am

May Allah grant his soul peace !

It is an honor that a Bohra had creative mind and the world recognized it. Irony the his own community did not bestow honors on him during his lifetime.

The Kothar must be salivating to get their hands onto the $2m painting proceeds !

Sad that our rituals and culture suppresses creative thinking because we are instructed to do everything with Raza. Does anyone know how many othe present and past uniquely talented Bohras exist ?

Let's honor our greats lest we forget through this website.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:42 pm

It is interesting to note what Tyeb Mehta commented in media on 14 Jan 2006:-
"I am hardly spiritual. Although I am a believer, I don't offer namaaz or anything. There are people who do their daily namaz/puja but they do not respect God.
I have been to holy places like Karbala in Iraq and have also visited the Meenakshi temple - I feel like going there again and again. When I took seriously ill in 1999, my mother made a mannat that I would visit Iraq if I survived.
My mother is no more but I'm sure she's very happy that I did what she wanted.
I'm not the sort of person to wear charms or amulets to bring me luck - I don't belong to that school of thought.
In times of adversity, I find myself chanting the name of the Lord. I have my own personal set of values that I abide by. I try and be as honest to myself as I can.
I belong to a very orthodox community with plenty of rules and regulations. Offering namaaz and keeping roza is part of my culture. There was a time when I would adhere to these rules blindly, without any real understanding of them."

jayanti

Unread post by jayanti » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:33 pm

So my brother Insaf,what u trying to say.....

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:44 am

jayanti wrote:So my brother Insaf,what u trying to say.....
Read the post carefully. It is about what Mr.Tyeb Mehta had to say and not what Mr.Insfabhai had to say.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Dear Jayanti,
On 14 Jan 2006 Tyeb Mehta had said that:-
1) He did not offer namaz and fasting etc. because he had seen people who do their daily namaz but they did not respect God (meaning they did every thing which God had prohibited, Sajda, accumulating wealth, persecution, make false promises, cheat people, commit frauds etc.)

2) He said that he used to adhere to the rules and regulations of the orthodox community when he did not understand them but not any more now.

3) He had his own set of values and he abided by them honestly.

I knew Tayeb bhai as I often visit art galleries. He had come to attend the Third World Dawoodi Bohra Conference held in Bombay in Feb 1981 very quitely and had requested me not to call him on the stage. He said he was not a confronter and wanted to live a peaceful creative life.

Now dear Jayanti such a man was allowed to bury in Bohra cemetery and his Siparas were held in Santacruz masjid.

My brother Dr. Haider Ali Insaf was a noted physician in Bhopal. He was MD (Bom), MRCP (Lon), FRCP (UK) FIAMS. He was also a supporter of the reform movement and had appeared before Justice Tiwatia Inquiry Commission. Also he was convener of Bhopal Conference. But two years back when he died no question was raised about his janaza namaz in Bohra masjid and burial in Bohra kabrastan.

Which clearly shows that Sayedna Saheb’s administration is selective and they do not touch any one who is a prominent figure in the society as they have to face opposition from a large section of the society.
This very clearly exposes their true religion.

Even Sayedna Burhanuddin Saheb on one hand cursed the first three khalifas of Islam and on the other hand under public pressure tendered a written apology giving a chance to the Muslims to name him “His Hollowness” instead of "His Holiness" which is sad.

Please try to understand.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:49 pm

To the same point, you can see the pictures posted on Zeninfosys of DGP of Gujrat Mr. Khandwa He is meeting with Aamil and others but Mr. Khandwa is clean shaven and had come to the Markaz or Masjid in pant and Shirt I wonder if he was not the DGP, Aamil will give him the same respect without STD.

http://www.zeninfosys.net/zeninfosys/ar ... rYear=1430
So sister Jayanti there is hypocrisy with your KOTHARI GOONS and
DO NOT REPEAT WHERE DO I LIVE ONCE AGAIN :D

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:02 pm

Bhavnagar Jamaat did ikraam of new D.G.P. Director General of Police

Aamil Saheb & Jamaat Ayaan did ikraam of new D.G.P. Director General of Police Mr. Shabbir S Khandwa wala during his official visit to Bhavnagar & greeted him as the first Dawoodi Bohra , even first muslim to archive this status.
"Jiski lathi uska Raaj"

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:11 pm

He did not offer namaz and fasting etc. because he had seen people who do their daily namaz but they did not respect God (meaning they did every thing which God had prohibited, Sajda, accumulating wealth, persecution, make false promises, cheat people, commit frauds etc.)
Insaf Saheb

This is the biggest copout I ever read or heard. Just because there are hypocrites around so you are justified from requirements of being Muslim. Honest person would have admitted that he does not believe in religion or he believes in all religions.

Let him rest in peace.

Waslaam

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 am

Dear Brother Muslim First,
I am Not defending Tyeb Mehta but trying to Expose the true colour and double standard of our so-called religious establishment.

aftabm

Unread post by aftabm » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:35 am

ozmujaheed wrote:May Allah grant his soul peace !

It is an honor that a Bohra had creative mind and the world recognized it. Irony the his own community did not bestow honors on him during his lifetime.

The Kothar must be salivating to get their hands onto the $2m painting proceeds !

Sad that our rituals and culture suppresses creative thinking because we are instructed to do everything with Raza. Does anyone know how many othe present and past uniquely talented Bohras exist ?

Let's honor our greats lest we forget through this website.
Late Mr Sadiq Ali Flexwala, A Gandhian and freedom fighter, was governor of Maharashtra(77-80) and Tamilnadu(80-82). Mr Sadiq ali was born in udaipur in 1910. He joined freedom struggle movement after completion of his studies from Allahabad university. He held various posts in Congress party.

http://rajbhavan.maharashtra.gov.in/pre ... diqali.htm

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:54 pm

Forget not and it is time such great people are recorded in Bohra history..their contributions have touched and inspired the lives of millions of Indians and world citizens. There is no hope that accoldaes will be bestowed by the Surat mafia and only hope is the PDB dedicates a link on this site and records their history such that when someone seraches for great Bohras they find them and similarly wikepedia is created.

They have suttly done far much greater deeds then the idolised Yusuf Najmudin and Busahebas.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Indian Artist Enjoys His World Audience

MUMBAI - The man who makes the most coveted art in India lives in a small fourth-floor walk-up apartment in a crowded, unremarkable suburb. A sign in the hallway warns of an irregular water supply; the bustle of striving metropolitan India seeps in through his shuttered windows, making it even harder for the artist, 80 and hard of hearing, to entertain a visitor. The only luxury item in his living room is a snowy white iPod, resting on a set of speakers, unless you include a 1959 portrait of his wife, drawn in Chinese ink, that hangs above their dining table, and his 2003 painting "Falling Bird."

Tyeb Mehta's paintings fetch the highest prices of any living Indian artist: last fall, "Mahisasura," a 1997 rendering of the buffalo-demon of Hindu mythology, brought $1.58 million at Christie's in New York, the first time a contemporary Indian painting had crossed the million-dollar mark. (The turning point came five years ago, when a room-size triptych by Mr. Mehta, "Celebration," sold for more than $300,000, signaling a surge of market interest in Indian art.)

Mr. Mehta's career has mirrored the changing fortunes of contemporary Indian art over the last six decades, from the intellectual fervor of its birth at Indian independence in 1947, to a lifetime of aesthetic and financial struggle, to the improbable rise of the Indian art market in the last few years. As the Indian economy has galloped forward, art galleries have mushroomed, prices have skyrocketed and contemporary art has become the latest marker of affluence among the newly minted rich.

Mr. Mehta seems to have taken it all in with a sense of amused detachment. He calls the surge in art prices "meaningless." Still, the recognition pleases him.

"Good it happens in our lifetime," he said. "I'm 80 years old. I could be bumped off anytime by the Almighty. If somebody has some money, they can buy. Let them buy."

Yet Mr. Mehta has, in fact, reaped little financial reward from the art boom. His work has ballooned in price, but the pieces have changed hands several times since he made them, so the sales are in the secondary market. He could churn out drawings and paintings now to profit from the bull market, but he hasn't. Mr. Mehta has never been terribly prolific, and he produces very little today. Art critics rank him among India's least commercial artists. Vincent van Gogh, he is fond of pointing out, died hungry.

Tyeb Mehta was born in 1925 in rural Gujarat, in western India, and was reared in the Crawford Market neighborhood of Mumbai, also known as Bombay, in an orthodox Shiite community known as the Dawoodi Bohras. His family was in the movie business, and he too worked in that world for a few years. But he soon left the family trade, joined the Sir J. J. Institute of Applied Art here and met the seminal circle of Indian modernists, the Progressive Artists Group.

Not long after that, he left the family fold altogether. Mr. Mehta recalls it this way: One night, after what was probably an insignificant argument with a member of the extended family, he and his wife, Sakina, walked out of the house. He now calls it the turning point in his life. He was 29.

"There was no exposure to the outside world," he said, describing the insularity of that milieu. "You break the rules, you're out. That's the demand of a community. I chose to leave."

Mr. Mehta is a frail, cheerful man, with graying hair that nearly reaches his shoulders. One must strain to hear him - his voice is nearly gone. He speaks with a studied, quiet seriousness.

The central passion of his work stems from his country's central wound: the 1947 partition of British India that left a million people dead, drove millions from their homes and inscribed a deep sense of anguish across his imagination. In the Hindu-Muslim clashes that broke out around 1947, Mr. Mehta watched as his neighbors butchered a stranger to death. The victim was Hindu and the attackers were Muslim, but it happened the other way around in other neighborhoods. Many Indians his age have an identical memory.

"That violence gave me the clue about the emotion I want to paint," he explained. "That violence has stuck into my mind."

The bull became a favorite figure. Not a bull in repose, but a tied-up, writhing, mutilated bull. "I was looking for an image which would not narrate, but suggest something which was deep within me, the violence that I witnessed during partition," Mr. Mehta said. "Have you seen a bull running? This tremendous energy being butchered for nothing."

Figures are constants in his work: the falling human figure, the buffalo-demon of Hindu lore, the rickshaw-puller and then, in the late 1980's, the goddess. In his hands, the Hindu goddess Kali is potbellied and squat. Her arms are flailing and her mouth is a terrifyingly gorgeous gash of red. The art critic Yashodhara Dalmia credits Mr. Mehta with making the mythic modern. She calls him an "arch modernist."

"In terms of art history, he is very important," said Ms. Dalmia, who is organizing a retrospective of Mr. Mehta's work later this year at the National Gallery of Modern Art in New Delhi. "He has reused the modernist method in a wholly inventive and original manner, where the conflict in his environment, the political and social events in his environment, are expressed with a great subtlety of means. It's always personal and public at the same time."

Another critic, Ranjit Hoskote, argues that Mr. Mehta's Shiite upbringing, and the central themes of violence and martyrdom in Shia thought, are the foundations of his work.

Mr. Mehta's own list of his influences includes the ancient sculptures of Elephanta off the coast of Mumbai, European Renaissance painters, Francis Bacon, Paul Klee and Barnett Newman. Certainly, painters of his generation studied them all.

But they also knew they were making their own path. There was no Indian modern tradition to turn to. "One had to create from nowhere," Mr. Mehta remembered. "We learned painting together by talking, by looking at each other's work, by criticizing, by appreciating."

And also by struggling. Once, there was not enough money to buy canvases to put together a show. Another time, he told his wife they would starve. "She said, 'O.K., we will starve together,' " Mr. Mehta recalled.

It is rare to hear Mr. Mehta speak of his life without referring to his wife. It was she who worked outside the house and paid the bills. It was he who read and painted at home. It was only after 12 years of painting that he made his first sale: to a buyer brought by his friend and fellow painter M. F. Hussein. Mr. Mehta sold her four canvases for what is now roughly $30.

"It felt great," Mr. Mehta said. "Life was cheap in those days. You could live simply. Now simplicity is gone from our lives."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/arts/ ... ted=1&_r=1&