Some Thought Provoking Issues.

Lighten up a little and talk about movies, music, books and recipes and more... this forum provides the flip side to the intense and serious discussion taking place in other forums. No topic is off-limit here so long as it is within the accepted norms of decency and decorum.
ghulam muhammed

Re: Some Thought Provoking Issues.

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:21 pm

God's Wings

After a forest fire in Yellowstone National Park , forest rangers began their trek up a mountain to assess the inferno's damage. One ranger found a bird literally petrified in ashes, perched statuesquely on the ground at the base of a tree. Somewhat sickened by the eerie sight, he knocked over the bird with a stick. When he gently struck it, three tiny chicks scurried from under their dead mother's wings. The loving mother, keenly aware of impending disaster, had carried her offspring to the base of the tree and had gathered them under her wings, instinctively knowing that the toxic smoke would rise. She could have flown to safety but had refused to abandon her babies. Then the blaze had arrived and the heat had scorched her small body, the mother had remained steadfast...because she had been willing to die, so those under the cover of her wings would live.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:41 pm

WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN'T LOOKING

A message every adult should read because children are watching you and doing as you do, not as you say.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me, and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I knew that there is a God I could always talk to, and I learned to trust in Him.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give of your time and money to help people who had nothing, and I learned that those who have something should give to those who don't.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it, and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw how you handled your responsibilities, even when you didn' t feel good, and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say,'Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking."

canadian

Unread post by canadian » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:46 pm

The Difference Between Christianity,
> Islam and Hinduism!!!!
>
> Christianity:
> One Christ, One Bible, One Religion, One God, BUT A LatiIn Catholic
> will not enter a Syrian Catholic Church.
> These two will not enter a Marthoma Church.
> These three will not enter a Pentecost Church.
> These four will not enter a Salvation Army Church.
> These five will not enter a Seventh Day Adventist Church.
> These six will not enter an Orthodox Church.
> These seven will not enter a Jacobite church.
> There are 146 castes in Kerala alone,
> each will not go to the other's church to pray!! ....
> So much for One Christ, One Bible, One God!
> What unity!
>
> Islam:
> One Allah, One Quran, One Nebi .... !
> AND ALL MUSLIMS CALL THEMSELVES BROTHERS! BUT, Shias and Sunnis cannot
> see eye to eyeand kill each other anywhere and everywhere.
> The Shia will not go to a Sunni Mosque.
> These two will not go to an Ahamadiya Mosque.
> These three will not go to a Sufi Mosque.
> These four will not go to a Mujahiddin mosque ...
> There are 13 castes of Muslims and these brothers can't share their
> places of worship.
> The brothers have been killing/bombing/conquering/murdering/raping
> each other in the name of Islam for the last 500 years, since the day
> Islam existed ....
>
> They have never been or never will be at peace with Jews or
> Christians in the name of religion,yet all 3 pray to the same God of
> Abraham.One Allah, One Quran, One Nebi .... ! Great unity!All
> Muslims are not Terrorists, but most Terrorists are Muslims. and 60%
> of all victims of Muslim terrorism are Muslims.
> THEY KILL THEMSELVES IN THE NAME OF RELIGION.
>
> Hindus:
> 1,280 Religious Books,
> 10,000 Commentaries, more than one lakh sub-commentaries for these
> foundation books,
> 330 million gods, variety of Aacharyas, thousands of Rishies, hundredsti
> of languages
> ....
> Still, everyone goes to the SAME TEMPLE ....Hindus never quarreled
> with each other in the last ten thousand years in the name of
> religion!!!!!!
>
> *****************************************Author unknown.

Rising Star

Unread post by Rising Star » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:06 pm

who says hindus dont have casts? and who says they dont quarrel?

please do some research before posting some thing on open forum.....

shapur

Unread post by shapur » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:11 am

Looks like our Canadian has never made a trip to India nor does he have an iota of knowledge about these 3 religions, hinduism specially. He has got fooled himself by this nonsense analysis and highly laughable claims about hindus and has the foolishness to post it for others to get fooled.
Islam- it seems- exists from the "last 500 years " !!!
There are 13 "castes" in Islam !!!
Muslims are being killed by Muslims only everywhere- not by Jews, Russians, Americans !!

Who has to educate him about the hundreds of castes and sub-castes among Hindus.
Who has to inform him about the superiority of Brahmins vs. the untouchability of shudras who have been tortured, traumatised and killed since ages by the uppercaste hindus.
Who has to inform him that they dont go to the same temple ? the Shudras are in fact not allowed in the temple.
By what stretch of imagination is this an intelligent analysis and comparison ?

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:30 pm

A man asked the Lord Buddha "I want Happiness"

The Lord Buddha said "First remove 'I' That's ego"

"Then remove 'Want' That's desire"

"See now you're left with only 'Happiness' "

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:52 pm

"Hi handsome, my name is Rose"

The first day of school professor introduced himself and challenged us to get to know someone we didn't already know. I stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder.

I turned around to find a wrinkled, little old lady beaming up at me with a smile that lit up her entire being..

She said, 'Hi handsome. My name is Rose. I'm eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?'

I laughed and enthusiastically responded, 'Of course you may!' and she gave me a giant squeeze..

'Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?' I asked.

She jokingly replied, 'I'm here to meet a rich husband, get married, and have a couple of kids...'

'No seriously,' I asked. I was curious what may have motivated her to be taking on this challenge at her age.

'I always dreamed of having a college education and now I'm getting one!' she told me.

After class we walked to the student union building and shared a chocolate milkshake.

We became instant friends. Every day for the next three months we would leave class together and talk nonstop. I was always mesmerized listening to this 'time machine' as she shared her wisdom and experience with me..

Over the course of the year, Rose became a campus icon and she easily made friends wherever she went. She loved to dress up and she reveled in the attention bestowed upon her from the other students. She was living it up.

At the end of the semester we invited Rose to speak at our football banquet. I'll never forget what she taught us. She was introduced and stepped up to the podium. As she began to deliver her prepared speech, she dropped her three by five cards on the floor.

Frustrated and a little embarrassed she leaned into the microphone and simply said, 'I'm sorry I'm so jittery. I gave up beer for Lent and this whiskey is killing me! I'll never get my speech back in order so let me just tell you what I know.'

As we laughed she cleared her throat and began, ' We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing.

There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and achieving success. You have to laugh and find humor every day. You've got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die.

We have so many people walking around who are dead and don't even know it!

There is a huge difference between growing older and growing up.

If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don't do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old. If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do anything I will turn eighty-eight.

Anybody! Can grow older. That doesn't take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change. Have no regrets.

The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets..'

She concluded her speech by courageously singing 'The Rose.'

She challenged each of us to study the lyrics and live them out in our daily lives. At the year's end Rose finished the college degree she had begun all those months ago.

One week after graduation Rose died peacefully in her sleep.

Over two thousand college students attended her funeral in tribute to the wonderful woman who taught by example that it's never too late to be all you can possibly be.

When you finish reading this, please send this peaceful word of advice to your friends and family, they'll really enjoy it!

These words have been passed along in loving memory of ROSE.

REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL. We make a Living by what we get. We make a Life by what we give.

Starwars

Some Thought Provoking Issues.

Unread post by Starwars » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:43 am

[quote="ghulam muhammed"]FOR OUR MOTHERS NO LONGER WITH US.

Heaven lies at the foot of one's mother. :cry:

lawyer

Unread post by lawyer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:14 am

deleted

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:54 am

lawyer wrote:deleted
that was indeed 'thought provoking'...

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:28 pm

STORY -- THE SOCK

A wise and saintly rich man, sensing his approaching death, called his son to his side and gave him these instructions: “My son, I shall be leaving you very shortly. On the day when I die, and they have washed my body and come to wrap it in the shroud, I want you to put one of my socks on my foot. This is my final request of you.”

Soon after this, the old man did indeed die, leaving behind his goods and property, his children and his dependents. Family, friends, acquaintances and neighbours attended his funeral. The body had been washed and was almost completely wrapped in the shroud, when the son remembered his father’s wish. Finding one of his old socks, he handed it to the washer of the dead, saying, “In accordance with my father’s last request, please put this sock on his foot.”

“That is quite impossible:’ Said the man. “Such a thing is utterly impermissible in Islam. I cannot act against the Shariah.” Despite this valid objection, the son insisted, “That was my father’s final request; it must certainly be carried out.”

The washer of the dead was unmoved. “If you won’t take my word for it,” he said, “go and ask the mufti. He will confirm what I tell you, that it is not permissible.” Holding up the funeral, they consulted the mufti, preachers and scholars, all of whom declared that this was not permissible in Islam. Just then, an aged friend of the deceased interrupted the debate with these words to the son: “My boy, your late father entrusted me with a letter which I was to hand over to you after his departure. Here, this letter belongs to you.” So saying, he gave him an envelope. Taken by surprise, the boy opened the envelope and read out the contents of his father’s letter.

“My son, all this wealth and property I have left to you. Now you see: at the last moment, they won’t even let you give me an old sock to wear. When you yourself come one day to be in my condition they will also refuse to let you keep anything but your shroud. Eight yards of shroud are all you will be able to carry over from this fleeting world into the Hereafter. So pull yourself together and be prepared. Spend the fortune I have left you, not for the satisfaction of vain desires, but in ways pleasing to Allah, that you may achieve honour in both worlds.”

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:21 pm

An elderly lady was well-known for her Iman and for her confidence in talking about it. She would stand in front of her house and say Alhamdulilah "Allah be praised" to all those who passed by. Next door to her lived an atheist who would get so angry at her proclamations he would shout, "There ain't no Lord!!"

Hard times came upon the elderly lady, and she prayed for Allah to send her some assistance. She would pray out loud in her night prayer" Oh Allah! I need food!! I am having a hard time, please Lord, PLEASE LORD, SEND ME SOME GROCERIES!!"

The atheist happened to hear her as she was praying, and decided to play a prank on her. The next morning the lady went out on her porch and noted a large bag of groceries and shouted, "Alhamdulilah, Allah be praised!."

The neighbor jumped from behind a bush and said, "Aha! I told you there was no Lord. I bought those groceries, God didn't."

The lady started jumping up and down and clapping her hands and said, "ALHAMDULILAH WA SHUKRILLAH”. He not only sent me groceries, but he made the devil pay for them!"

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:08 pm

Heart Touching Story.. with a Moral

A doctor entered the hospital in hurry after being called in for an urgent surgery. He answered the call immediately, changed his clothes & went directly to the surgery block.

He found the boy’s father pacing in the hall waiting for the doctor.

On seeing him, the dad yelled: “Why did you take all this time to come? Don’t you know that my son’s life is in danger? Don’t you have any sense of responsibility?”

The doctor smiled & said: “I am sorry, I wasn’t in the hospital & I came as fast as I could after receiving the call…… And now, I wish you’d calm down so that I can do my work”

“Calm down?! What if your son was in this room right now, would you calm down? If your own son dies now what will you do??” said the father angrily

The doctor smiled again & replied: “I will say what Job said in the Holy Book “From dust we came & to dust we return, blessed be the name of God”. Doctors cannot prolong lives. Go & intercede for your son, we will do our best by God’s grace”

“Giving advises when we’re not concerned is so easy” Murmured the father.

The surgery took some hours after which the doctor went out happy, “Thank goodness!, your son is saved!” And without waiting for the father’s reply he carried on his way running. “If you have any questions, ask the nurse!!”

“Why is he so arrogant? He couldn’t wait some minutes so that I ask about my son’s state” Commented the father when seeing the nurse minutes after the doctor left.

The nurse answered, tears coming down her face: “His son died yesterday in a road accident, he was at the burial when we called him for your son’s surgery. And now that he saved your son’s life, he left running to finish his son’s burial.”

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:23 pm

People often ask : How can I make a difference in the world ?
I am just one person among billions of others, what could I possibly do that would change anything?
Everyone else should have to change in order for me to make a difference.

Well, here is a story of a man who single-handedly moved a mountain!

Please read and share... :) Inspiration is contagious !

About five decades ago, a landless farmer, Dashrath Manjhi from Gahlor Ghati of Gaya, Bihar decided to take into task the difficulties of his villagers who were almost cut off from the rest of the world by rocky hills, almost making the place impassable.

Around 1959, his wife passed away from illness and lack of immediate medical care when there was no way of taking her to the nearest medical centre over the 300 feet high hills. Heartbroken after her death, Manji alone resolved to create a pass so that no one person would have to suffer the fate that his wife did. He sold his goats to purchase chisel, rope and a hammer. This sudden change in his demeanour made him a laughing stock with people who laughed at him, calling him eccentric and crazy.

Unfazed by their remarks, Manji hammered away with consistent determination for 22 years. At the end of his arduous labour, he finally came face to face with his dream: the OTHER SIDE of the HILL! He shortened the distance from 70kms to just ONE KILOMETER, 16ft wide!

Once this task was accomplished, Dashrath Manji became known as the Mountan Man. Sadly, this amazing man breathed his last on August 18, 2007 after fighting cancer at New Delhi's AII India Institute of Medical Sciences and received a proper state burial.

Dashrath Manji, a man who was mocked and ridiculed for his strong will and determination leaves behind a legacy of strong will and determination.

Some invaluable lessons to learn from this Legend:
1. Patience is the greatest virtue that leads us to success
2. Dream the impossible!
3. Attitude Matters.
4. Stay Positive.
5. Don't lose heart if people call you mad and crazy for your unique idea/thoughts.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Dear One, Greetings,

Only try to enjoy and do not try to understand, as it is very tricky one and it is only applicable to others.

Imagine that you had won the following prize in a contest:

Each morning your bank would deposit $86,400.00 in your private account for your use.

However, this prize has rules. The set of rules would be:

1.Everything that you didn't spend during each day would be taken away from you.

2.You may not simply transfer money into some other account.

3.You may only spend it.

4.Each morning upon awakening, the bank opens your account with another $86,400.00 for that day.

5. The bank can end the game without warning; at any time it can say, 'It's over', the game is over !

It can close the account and you will not receive a new one.

What would you personally do ? Would you buy anything and everything you wanted right?

Not only for yourself, but for all people you love, Even for people you don't know, because you couldn't possibly spend it all on yourself, right?

You would try to spend every cent, and use it all, right?

ACTUALLY This GAME is a REALITY!

Shocked?????

YES

Each of us is in possession of such a magical bank.

We just can't seem to see it. The MAGICAL BANK is TIME !!!

1.Each morning we awaken to receive 86,400 seconds as a gift of life,

2.And when we go to sleep at night, any remaining time is NOT credited to us.

3.What we haven't lived up that day is forever lost.

4.Yesterday is forever gone.

5.Each morning the account is refilled, but the bank can dissolve your account at any time WITHOUT WARNING.....

SO, what will YOU do with your 86,400 seconds?

Those seconds are worth so much more than the same amount in dollars.

Think about that, and always think of this: Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think.

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

Here's wishing you a wonderful and beautiful day.

Start spending.

Instead of worrying about the lost ones, enjoy those which you have..

Best of Luck,

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Thirteen years ago, a Muslim housewife in Kerala had stopped an old and destitute Brahmin widow from jumping in front of a train and ending a life for which she saw no hope.

The Muslim woman, then 34, took the 76-year-old high-caste Namboothiri woman home, gave her shelter and sowed the seeds for an unusual relationship that bloomed despite their religious and cultural differences.

Their story of affection and harmony inspired Malayalam producer-director Babu Thiruvalla's film Thanichalla Njan (I am not alone), which went on to win the national award for 2012 for best feature film on national integration recently.

The story began on January 22, 2000 when Rasiya Beevi, who is also a Congress member of Ambalapuzha village panchayat in Alappuzha district, spotted an old, frail frame standing near the railway track. "I thought it was a woman passenger who was stranded after missing the road to the nearest railway station. When I approached her Chellamma Antharjanam got irritated and shot back, 'you will not let me commit suicide?'" Beevi recalls.

Beevi said Antharjanam told her she was waiting to jump in front of the next train, after having failed to kill herself through other methods. She had chosen the deserted spot hoping that no one would spot her and stop her. Antharjanam missed the train as she narrated her story to the stranger she had just met.

Antharjanam belonged to a prominent Namboothiri family in Central Kerala and was married to a man with psychiatric problems who died five years after their wedding. For about 25 years after that, she worked as a domestic help and returned to her brother's house as age caught up with her, only to be thrown out. Distraught, she tried to kill herself several times until Beevi found her.

Beevi said she took the Brahmin woman home and got her to stay with her family comprising her husband and three children. "She was afraid to stay with my family. Initially, she used to ask me whether Muslim organisations would attack the house for harbouring a Hindu. Her only plea was to allow her to live as a Hindu," Beevi said So Beevi bought a traditional Hindu lamp used in Kerala and other items Antharjanam needed to do pooja and allowed her to recite Hindu prayers in her Muslim home.

Food, however, was a spoiler as Antharjanam was a strict vegetarian. "My children insisted on fish and meat. Amma could not even tolerate a whiff of non-vegetarian food. As a short-term remedy, I decided to take her to a Hindu
ashram where only vegetarian food was served," Beevi said, referring to Antharjanam as amma.

Antharjanam stayed at the ashram for two years and Beevi paid for it and visited her regularly too. In 2004, Beevi managed to get Rs 55,000 from a housing scheme for the homeless from her panchayat, chipped in with some of her savings and built a two-room house for Antharjanam.

Political rivals accused Beevi of using Antharjanam as a front to pocket panchayat funds and even demanded her resignation. But the two women held a press conference in 2006 to tell their story and silenced them.

Beevi also built a structure to grow the tulsi plant at Antharjanam's new house and ensured a regular supply of rudraksha chains, sandal sticks and materials for worship. She cooks vegetarian food at her house and takes it for Antharjanam and has also been spending time with the old woman every night for the last year-and-a-half.

"When Amma, now 89, was healthy, I used to take her to the nearby temple. I would wait outside the temple when she went inside for darshan," Beevi said. "Several Muslim organisations had asked me why I can't take Amma into the fold of Islam. They wanted Antharjanam to embrace Islam. But my reply was a firm no. I would live my religion and Amma her Hindu religion," said Beevi, whose husband is a small businessman.

"We will live together until one of us bids adieu to this world," she adds.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 pm

ત્યારે દુખની શરુઆત થાય

તહેવાર કરતા વહેવાર વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની શરૂઆત થાય,
દરકાર કરતા શણગાર વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની શરૂઆત થાય.

સંસાર કરતા જંજાળ વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની શરૂઆત થાય,
સહકાર કરતા પડકાર વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની શરૂઆત થાય.

આવક કરતા ઉધાર વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની શરૂઆત થાય,
વર્તમાન કરતા ભૂતકાળ વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની શરૂઆત થાય.

કામ કરતા કારભાર વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની શરૂઆત થાય,
કરનાર કરતા ગણનાર વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની શરૂઆત થાય.

ગ્રાહક કરતા દુકાનદાર વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની શરૂઆત થાય,
મિલકત કરતા વારસદાર વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની શરૂઆત થાય.

મિત્રો કરતા સલાહકાર વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની શરૂઆત થાય,
ઈમાનદાર કરતા માલદાર વધી જાય ત્યારે દુખની

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Saving The Planet, One Drop At A Time

An inspiring true story that shows just how simple it can be for one person with an idea to make a difference.

Aabid Surti is an odd character. A few years ago, the angular, bearded author was invited to meet the President of India to receive a national award for literature at a ceremony in the capital, New Delhi. He politely declined. Absorbed in writing the first draft of his new novel, he cited the reason that he did not have time. But what he has made time for every Sunday for seven years now, is going door-to-door in Mira Road, a non-descript suburb of Mumbai, with a plumber in tow, "asking residents if they need their tap fixed for free !"

As a distinguished Indian painter and author, Aabid has written around 80 books but no story so moved him as the truth about water scarcity on the planet. “I read an interview of the former UN chief Boutros Boutros Ghali, he recalls, “who said that by 2025 more than 40 countries are expected to experience water crisis. I remembered my childhood in a ghetto fighting for each bucket of water. I knew that shortage of water is the end of civilized life.”

Around the same time, in 2007, he was sitting in a friend’s house and noticed a leaky tap. It bothered him. When he pointed it out, his friend, like others, dismissed it casually: it was too expensive and inconvenient to call a plumber for such a minor job – even plumbers resisted coming to only replace old gaskets.

A few days later, he came across a statistic in the newspaper: "a tap that drips once every second wastes a thousand litres of water in a month". That triggered an idea. He would take a plumber from door to door and fix taps for free – one apartment complex every weekend.

As a creative artist, he had earned more goodwill than money and the first challenge was funding. “But,” he says, “if you have a noble thought, nature takes care of it.” Within a few days, he got a message that he was unexpectedly being awarded Rs.1,00,000 ($2,000) by the Hindi Sahitya Sansthan (UP) for his contribution to Hindi literature. And one Sunday morning in 2007, the International Year of Water, he set out with a plumber to fix the problem for his neighbors.

He began by simply replacing old O-ring rubber gaskets with new ones, buying new fixtures from the wholesale market. He named his one-man NGO ‘Drop Dead’ and created a tagline: "save every drop… or drop dead".

Every Sunday, the Drop Dead team – which consisted of Aabid himself, Riyaaz the plumber and a female volunteer Tejal – picked the apartment blocks, got permission from the housing societies, and got to work. A day before, Tejal
would hand out pamphlets explaining their mission and paste posters in elevators and apartment lobbies spreading awareness on the looming water crisis. And by Sunday afternoon, they would ensure the buildings were drip-dry.

By the end of the first year, they had visited 1533 homes and fixed around 400 taps. Slowly, the news began to spread. In March 2008, director Shekhar Kapur, who was working on his own water conservation film, heard about Aabid’s efforts and wrote on his website: ‘"Aabid Surti, thank you so much for who you are. I wish there were more people like you in this world. Keep in touch with us and keep inspiring us" - Shekhar

Local newspapers began to write about Drop Dead, which prompted a further flood of grateful emails and spontaneous messages. One of the most heartfelt messages was from superstar actor-producer Shah Rukh Khan, a
longtime fan of Aabid’s work as a comic book creator. After reading the newspaper report titled ‘City of Angels’, he wrote to Aabid: “…It sounds like one of the little big things my dad would have done.Strange that I have enjoyed [your comic] Bahadur in my childhood and enjoyed reading your tap story so many years down the line… when I am father myself. God bless you and yes, I believe in angels after reading the newspaper".

In 2010, Aabid Surti was nominated for the CNN-IBN CJ ‘Be The Change’ Award. In the same year, a television crew from Berlin flew down to follow him on his Sunday rounds which continued come monsoon or shine.

It’s hard to say how much water he has saved with his mission, given that the faucets he fixed could have continued leaking for months, and maybe years, had he not rung the doorbell one Sunday morning. But conservatively, it could be estimated that "he has single-handedly saved at least 5.5m litres of water till date".

In the summer of 2013, the state where Aabid lives is expecting its worst drought in 40 years. Months in advance, the Chief Minister Prithviraj Chauhan has warned citizens to begin conserving water. While ministers lobby for drought-relief packages worth millions of dollars, Aabid sees his own approach as simple and inexpensive.

As he rings another door-bell on yet another Sunday in Mira Road, seven years into his one-man mission, he says: “Anyone can launch a water conservation project in his or her area. That’s the beauty of this concept. It doesn’t require much funding or even an office. And most importantly, it puts the power back in our own hands.”

I would call him a modern-day angel......

Conscíous

Unread post by Conscíous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm

1. Life is short. Be impatient and have a sense of urgency, so that you can achieve everything you want to. Also be stubborn with your time, it's yours and theres only a finite amount of it.

2. Know what you don't know. It is more important to recognize the things you don't know, it will make you a less arrogant decision maker. Nassim Taleb came up with this idea of an antilibrary, filled with books you've never read, on subjects you barely understand.

3. Be careful with how you define your identity. Some people define themselves by their work, or their religion etc. But remember the words of Camus, "A reason to live can quickly become a reason to die".

4. Be aware of your actions, and form good habits. It becomes very easy to delude yourself into thinking that your doing the right thing, or that you actually have good habits etc. Most people will not realize how their habits are very self destructive, as Warren Buffet said "The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they're too heavy to be broken".

5. Realize that nothing matters. In a hundred thousand years from now all of our actions will be insignificant.

6. Be honest with yourself. Sometimes the mind blocks off unpleasant things, so it becomes painful to think about it. But you have to face unpleasant realities, if you want to grow and improve as a person.

7. Read. People who lived thousands of years ago had the very same basic questions of the world we still try to grapple with today. And they've written about what they think, so go read it. The accumulated knowledge of mankind is far far greater than what one person can learn/think by themselves in one lifetime, so the quickest way to learn or gain perspective is to read.

8. Be curious. The world is fascinating, ask questions and try to unravel the mysteries! It's amazing how people get caught up with grades/credentials/promotions etc and don't even pick up a book to read or take some time off to just sit and think.

9. Realize that not every one is as fortunate as you are (this does not apply to every one). So try to help others out: friends/family/strangers.

10. Most of the time you already know what the right thing to do is, but it's just that the right thing to do is often the hardest thing to do.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:30 pm

AN EYE OPENER !

· Work for a cause, not for applause.

· Live life to express not to impress.

· Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt

Has the water entered my ship?

In 1923, nine of the wealthiest people in the world met at Chicago's Edgewater Beach Hotel. Their combined wealth, it is estimated, exceeded the wealth of the Government of the United States at that time.

These men certainly knew how to make a living and accumulate wealth.

Attending the meeting were the following men:

1. The President of the largest steel company,

2. The President of the largest utility company,

3. The President of the largest gas company,

4. The President of the New York Stock Exchange,

5. The President of the Bank of International Settlements,

6. The greatest wheat speculator,

7. The greatest bear on Wall Street,

8. A member of President Harding's cabinet.

9. The head of the World's greatest monopoly

That's a pretty impressive line-up of people by anyone's yardstick.

Yet, let’s examine what happened to them 25 years later:

1. The President of the then largest steel company (Bethlehem Steel Corp), Charles M Schwab lived on borrowed capital for five years before he died bankrupt.

2. The President of the largest utility company, Samuel Insull, died penniless!

3. The President of the then largest gas company, Howard Hubson, went insane.

4. The then President of the New York Stock Exchange, Richard Whitney, was sent to jail.

5. The President of the Bank of International Settlement, Leon Fraser, committed suicide.

6. One of the greatest commodity traders (Wheat Speculator) , Arthur Cutten, died insolvent.

7. The greatest “bear” on Wall Street, Jesse Livermore committed suicide.

8. The member of the US President’s Cabinet (the member of President Harding's cabinet), Albert Fall, was pardoned from jail just to be able to go home and die in peace.

9. The President of the then world’s greatest monopoly, Ivar Krueger, committed suicide.

What they forgot was how to "make" life while they got busy making money !

Money in itself is not evil. It is only a medium of exchange.

We need two kinds of education.

One that teaches us how to make a living and the second how to live.

Many of us get so engrossed in professional life that we neglect our family, health, social responsibilities. And when asked why we do it, we would reply "For our family"

However, our kids are sleeping when we leave home. They are sleeping when we come home! 25years later, we’ll turn back and they’ll be gone to pursue their own dreams and lives.

Lessons from a Ship:

Without water, a ship cannot move. It needs water but if the water gets into the ship, it will face existential problem.

What was a “means of living” becomes a“means of destruction”.

Similarly we live in time where earning is a necessity but let not the earning enter our hearts, for what was once a means of living will surely become a means of destruction for us as well !

So take a moment to ask yourself: “Has the water entered my ship?”

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:35 am

However, in that same year, 1923, the PGA Champion and the winner of the most important golf tournament, the US Open, was Gene Sarazen. What became of him? He played golf until he was 92, died in 1999 at the age of 95. He was financially secure at the time of his death. The moral: Screw work. Play golf. You'll live longer and be better off in the end.

The meeting at Chicago's Edgewater Beach Hotel in 1923 is a fairy tale. It never happened. It seems to be a plot for the movie Shrek 5 which normally accumulates characters from multiple fairy tales into a single story line.

Ofcourse, I should mention that much of what is mentioned happened to these people happened, but what happened is far less gloomy. I personally wouldn't mind living all but the last 5 years of my life in absolute luxury of my own money and the last 5 years on someone else's money!!

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Marriage of another kind---Hindu parents, Muslim daughter

Hyderabad, April 27:

As the marriage of the daughter come closer, the entire household including the servant, are worried about her departure and the life they have to spend without her. Even the girl is in tears, as she would be separated with her parents.

This is not the script of a film but a reality where we take to a village Goraipally Mandal in Yadgirgutta where G Madhav Reddy and his wife Laxmi Reddy and their daughter (hold your breath) Farzana, 22 are living together.

This family can be called a unique family of India. The story goes in flashback where the husband-wife duo had adopted Farzana when she was just 8. She was born in the family of Mohd. Jamal who had died and later his wife also followed him in the heaven.

In today’s scenario where communal forces are active in creating gulf between Hindus and Muslims, this incident is an eye opener. Mr. & Mrs. Madhav Reddy never let Farzana feel that she was an orphan.

People who come to know about this incident, raised only one question. Was Farzana kept away from Islamic religious education? The answer is a flat and big NO. Reddys not only arranged a separate room for Farzana to offer Namaz but also provided her the best education in B.SC Nursing.

Farzana used to recite Quran in her room. Mr. Reddy used to call Farzana as ‘Khazana.’ He was associated with electricity department and hold a top post. After the completion of Farzana’s education, the Reddys started searching for her alliance to get her married. As they say where there is a will there is a way. They are now successful in selecting a boy from Nalgonda district whose name is Khurshid.

The marriaqge is fixed on Sunday, April 28 where Mr. Reddy has invited 300 guests. He has given clothes and one and half tolas gold to Farzana where the other articles are arranged by Hyderabad Zakat and Charitable Trust.

This unique family of India would not have come into limelight had the Trust would not have provided information about this. In fact, one of the trustees Mr. Ziauddin Nayyar had taken us to Bhongir to check the articles of the dowry whether they had reached Bhongir safely and intact or not?

When we observed the sublime relationship between daughter and parents. The thing, which we have never ever imagined in our wildest dream, Mr. Reddy has turned it into a reality. Goraipally’s population is comprised of only 6000 people and out of this, only 60 persons are Muslims.

This shows that Mr. Reddy had done a really great work. When we spoke to Farzana, she became emotionally charged and said that her parents never let her feel that she lacks anything.

She was enrolled in a hostel but whenever she used to phone them, they used to come immediately to Hyderabad to enquire about her well being and welfare. She feels that she is the luckiest daughter on this earth.

Mr. Reddy’s real son who lives in America, always make it a point to speak to Farzana at least for half an hour every day on phone from US. When Farzana was narrating her story, Mr. & Mrs. Reddy were crying because this is how they have sent a positive message to the world that humanity still exists.

http://www.siasat.com/english/news/marr ... m-daughter

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Sat May 04, 2013 4:46 pm

THE PRAYER THAT SHOCKED THE WORLD.

When Pastor Minister Joe Wright was asked to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting the usual generalities, but this is what they heard:

"Heavenly Father, we come before you today to ask your forgiveness and to seek your direction and guidance. We know Your Word says, "Woe to those who call evil good", but that is exactly what we have done. We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and values.

We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery.
We have rewarded laziness and called it welfare..
We have killed our unborn and called it choice.
We have shot anti-abortionists and called it justifiable.
We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self esteem.
We have terrorised the world and called the victims terrorists.
We have abused power and called it politics.
We have coveted our neighbour's possessions and called it ambition.
We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression.
We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.

Search us, Oh, God, and know our hearts today; cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Amen

===========

The response was immediate. A number of legislators walked out during the prayer in protest.

In 6 short weeks, Central Christian Church, where Rev. Wright is pastor, logged more than 5,000 phone calls with only 47 of those calls responding negatively.

The church is now receiving international requests for copies of this prayer from India , Africa and Korea .

Commentator Paul Harvey aired this prayer on his radio program, "The Rest of the Story," and received a larger response to this program than any other he has ever aired.

With the Lord's help, may this prayer sweep over our nation

shapur

Unread post by shapur » Sat May 04, 2013 11:21 pm

This is amazing. Hope some such rabbi emerges in Israel too which is shockingly bereft of sane voices.
Can some link be provided to the topic which could be shared with many ?

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon May 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Kalyug = India of Today
by Justice Katju:-

I was reading the Bhagavad Purana, and in the 12th Chapter (Skandha) is the following description of Kaliyug (in which we are living) which I thought had a striking resemblance to the prevailing conditions in India :

"As the Age turns to evil (that is, when Kaliyug begins) every virtue decays and vanishes : honesty, forbearance, kindness, memory and strength disappear.

Wealth replaces a noble birth, character and conduct. Might becomes right, for might alone determines dharma and justice.

Trade and fraudulent practice become synonymous.

The law will favour only the rich, and will have no regard for justice. He that can curse and swear best will be considered the finest scholar.

Poverty will be sufficient cause to establish guilt in the eyes of the law, while wealth and ostentation will be indices of character.

Rudeness and brashness of speech will be equal to dharma.

He that maintains his family by the foulest means will be considered respectable. Dharma will be observed only for exhibition.

Whoever is strong and daring will become the king, and will rule like greedy lustful bandits, with plunder and rapine of their own subjects, who will often flee such tyranny and seek refuge in forests and mountains.

Exhausted by cruel taxes, deprived of rains in lands from which true dharma has fled, the people will subsist on wild vegetation, roots, flesh, fruits, flowers, etc.

Kings will become mere robbers, and men, driven by despair and poverty, will become thieves, liars and murderers.

Men will become bestial and perverse-- miserly, ruthless, greedy and </vindictive for the flimsiest reasons.

Arrogance, hypocrisy, deception, dishonesty, sloth, somnolence, cruelty of every kind, delusion, terror and wretchedness will rule.

Brigands and robbers will rule the land. Kings will all be tyrants.
People will espouse gluttony, lasciviousness and venality of every kind.

The vilest men will become the foremost traders, making cheating and thievery the common practice of the marketplace. Even when they are not threatened with any danger, men will take to forbidden means to earn their livelihood, and pride themselves on it.

Relationships between parents and children, brothers, friends and relations will not be valued.

Seated upon the sacred thrones of great and holy gurus of yore, men that are masters only of vice will expound dharma to the gullible populace.

Depleted by dreadful taxes, tormented by drought, starved, owning none of the bare necessities of life---homes, clothes, food and drink, a bed, a bath,etc. --men will seem more like bhutas and pisachas.

Over small matters, members of the same family will fight their own blood relations, even unto death, forgetting all ties of affection.

No one will bother to look after their old parents any more, they will only live for themselves, and will neglect their own children. "
--Bhagavad Purana- 12th Chapter.

Is this not a glaring reflection on the condition of Indian society today? And this was written two thousand years ago! Truly, our ancestors were men of great vision, who could see two thousand years into the future.

Posted by Justice Markandey Katju

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue May 14, 2013 5:19 pm

THE WORLD IS MINE!!!

Today, upon a bus, I saw a very beautiful woman
And wished I were as beautiful.
When suddenly she rose to leave,
I saw her hobble down the aisle.
She had one leg and wore a crutch.
But as she passed, she passed a smile.
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I have two legs; the world is mine.

I stopped to buy some candy.
The lad who sold it had such charm.
I talked with him, he seemed so glad.
If I were late, it'd do no harm.
And as I left, he said to me,
"I thank you, you've been so kind
It's nice to talk with folks like you.
You see," he said, "I'm blind."
I have two eyes; the world is mine.

Later while walking down the street,
I saw a child I knew.
He stood and watched the others play,
but he did not know what to do.
I stopped a moment and then I said,
"Why don't you join them dear?"
He looked ahead without a word.
I forgot, he couldn't hear.
I have two ears; the world is mine.

With feet to take me where I'd go..
With eyes to see the sunset's glow.
With ears to hear what I'd know.
I've been blessed indeed, the world is mine.

it's just a simple reminder that we have so much to be thankful for!

Give the gift of love. It never comes back empty !

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon May 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Thiruvananthapuram: Meet Suryalayam, the messiah of the hungry

http://ibnlive.in.com/shows/India+Positive/392222.html

asad

Unread post by asad » Mon May 27, 2013 2:54 am

गरीब माँ ने यह कहकर बच्चे को सुलाया
फ़रिश्ते ख्वाब में आते हैं रोटियाँ लेकर

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon May 27, 2013 5:29 pm

Charlie Chaplin's speech

It’s worth reading because the speech is as relevant today as it was 73 years ago. The full transcript of the speech :

I’m sorry but I don’t want to be an Emperor – that’s not my business – I don’t want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible, Jew, gentile, black man, white. We all want to help one another, human beings are like that. We all want to live by each other’s happiness, not by each other’s misery. We don’t want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone and the earth is rich and can provide for everyone.

The way of life can be free and beautiful.

But we have lost the way.

Greed has poisoned men’s souls – has barricaded the world with hate; has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed.

We have developed speed but we have shut ourselves in: machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical, our cleverness hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little: More than machinery we need humanity; More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men, cries out for universal brotherhood for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world, millions of despairing men, women and little children, victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me I say “Do not despair”.

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress: the hate of men will pass and dictators die and the power they took from the people, will return to the people and so long as men die [now] liberty will never perish…

Soldiers – don’t give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you and enslave you – who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel, who drill you, diet you, treat you as cattle, as cannon fodder.

Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men, machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts. You are not machines. You are not cattle. You are men. You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don’t hate – only the unloved hate. Only the unloved and the unnatural. Soldiers – don’t fight for slavery, fight for liberty.

In the seventeenth chapter of Saint Luke it is written ” the kingdom of God is within man ” – not one man, nor a group of men – but in all men – in you, the people.

You the people have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness. You the people have the power to make life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure. Then in the name of democracy let’s use that power – let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give you the future and old age and security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power, but they lie. They do not fulfil their promise, they never will. Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people. Now let us fight to fulfil that promise. Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men’s happiness.

Soldiers – in the name of democracy, let us all unite !

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue May 28, 2013 6:14 pm

The School of Hard Knocks...

There are two types of people in the world: the pessimists and the optimists. The optimist sees every challenging situation as an opportunity to grow while the pessimist views the same situation as doom and disaster. Life presents us with a variety of knocks and bangs in the form of situations and experiences and its totally up to us how we deal with them. Those who grab the opportunity to change, move forward, grow and excel whilst those who fear and become intimidated, lose out, stay stuck and miss the valuables lessons that life brings! Which personality are you?

It would do us well to view life as a perpetual school, in which every soul and situation is enabling us to attain our ˜Masters Degree in life! Everyone and everything are our teachers and we are being refined by every challenge and opportunity.

Its as though we are pieces of rock and life is sculpting and shaping us. We are being chipped at and chiselled to perfection. Life will continue to attempt to knock us over, unbalance us and make us loose our footing. We may lose our job, a close friend or partner, or have an accident. But those who accept the lessons, pick themselves up and become wiser for it, can make their lives a masterpiece.

For every piece of art to be created, the artist needs silence and concentration. A painter, a sculptor, an architect, each need solitude and quiet to get their work done. If we take time to stand back, observe, reflect, and use our inner wisdom, we will learn that everything that is happening to us is exactly as it should be. We will be totally grateful for the tests that life is presenting to us and thankful for the art we are becoming!

You will have noticed that you do not respond to the same situation now as you would have done in your teens or twenties “ the reason being that life has shaped you and you will be more experienced, wiser and more mature. With time, introverts become extroverts, extroverts become introverts, those seeking the limelight will look out for the ˜dimlight, those who exercised anger and ego will be humbled with patience¦ but this depth of transformation will only apply to those who actually take the time to use the lessons of life to their advantage. For those who resist, for them the artist “ the hard knocks“ will persist.

Choose to always keep a positive frame of mind no matter what. Things may look pretty bad, but in hindsight we often realise how perfect they were for our growth. The art and the power is to be able to remember all this when we are passing through the situation and not after it.

Its time¦ to see everything that happens to you in life as an opportunity for your growth and learning.
Dont resist it accept it. Realise that every lesson is tailor-made for your greater good.

Be grateful that the lesson has come, it has come to you and it has come now and not in your old age.

Dont wait until its too late!