My first TNC Match-making experience:

Lighten up a little and talk about movies, music, books and recipes and more... this forum provides the flip side to the intense and serious discussion taking place in other forums. No topic is off-limit here so long as it is within the accepted norms of decency and decorum.
humanbeing

My first TNC Match-making experience:

Unread post by humanbeing » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:07 am

I returned home from usual day at work and was greeted with a teasing smile from my parents and sister. As conversation started over the dinner, my father commented looking at me; “You are getting old now” (russell peters style, it bought a chuckle on my face). He continued “You are done with studies, you have a nice job, and you have still not a found a nice girl for yourself” (I wanted to reply same as russell peters did ! But I dare not). Then I responded innocently, I don’t get to socialize with girls, especially in our community. To which he assuringly replied by flashing the Registration Form for the TNC meet called “Taaruf” (introduction), “This is your chance Tiger ! go meet some girls !!” I was like “wow” I was amused at my father’s sense of humor !

So we went to the Jamaat office with duly filled in registration form + Fees for submission returning from office, I was in a business suit. My appearance drew unnecessary attention and glares. Finaly when I went to the Sheikh-in-charge’s palatial office. I was observed head to toe and heard sigh of sarcasm!

I was tauntingly advised to wear “Quomi Libaas” (Saya Kurta Topi) and grow a more thicker beard for the event. I was smiling staring into his eyes and enjoying the disgust he was going through.

On scheduled day, I arrived at the venue in Quomi libaas with a dark stubble. My father bid me goodbye with overwhelmed emotions similar as that of first day at school ! I entered the hotel and followed a noisy chaos of familiar languages. On the entrance of Banquet Hall there was a desk supervised by a bulky ‘Aunty Femidah’ to handover a packet of stationery and batch. I entered the hall innocently lost and dumbfounded at the pleasant chaos of allotment of team leaders for the boys and girls. I sat on the waiting chairs to await my allotment to a team.

I was given batch number B09 (Boy number 09) literally, I may have been the 9th boy to enter the event. This was to be displayed proudly on our chest to identify ourselves (there could be lot of similar names, so to avoid confusion). After my allotment, I was introduced to a frail looking man with dominating voice and beard with mixed texture of white, grey and black hair as my team leader.. He looked very villainous in his appearance, may be he wanted to convey his sense of discipline amongst us as perceived young rogue boys. He reminded me of Evil Magician ‘Jaafer’ from Alladin series. I introduced myself with seemingly nervous boys admiring pretty looking girls dressed in Butterfly Ridas sitting at the other end of the hall.

I was enjoying this unexpected moment. Observing boys and girls. Majority of Boys wore Quomi Libaas. Few had heavy beard rolled and pinned to their chins. Girls looked very young, but on enquiring I was relieved to know majority of them were in age bracket of 21 –25 years. With few exceptions who were below 20 years.

Banquet hall was crowded more with extras and freeloaders from Jamaat then actual boys and girls who paid for the event. After the chaos ended, all participants settled in their chairs and we awaited start of the ceremony. Zaroori Elaan was announced on a mike, which was arrival of Janaab Saab and his family ! Janaab presided on Decorated Chair, this dude needs a white cover up on anything he sits, I was just observing this pompous old man. Meanwhile other extras and sidekicks ran around in pretended hurry & bowed body posture to make arrangement (I had no idea what was the hush hush all about).

We stood to praise Allah (most merciful) and begin the event with a past dated video recording of Sayedna Saheb emphasising importance of finding a soul mate. Concluding with singing of “Ghanu Jeevo”. After this a huge yummy looking cake was placed before Janaab Saab, and to our surprise it was zaroori elaaaned that Today was the Janaab saab’s Birthday !! (oohhooo !!!) Family members, Bottom lickers, Side Kicks and Extras gheraoed the Birthday Boy to sing “Happy Birthday to you” and played a silly hindi song “Hum bhi agar bachche hote naam humara hota …happy birthday to you ” we boys and girls looked amazed, surprised and felt sillly about the whole thing. Trust me !! We all were feeling disgusted and amused at such sillyness of janaab saab ! Embarrasment was noticed and background song was changed to Instrumental Madeh (Ghanu Jeevo).

After a ceremonial start rules were explained in Lisaane Daawat mixed with English words (It was sounding pleasantly funny !)

Girls were to sit at one end of the small round table and boys would rotate on a buzzer after 3 minutes !! To help the shy, nervous and lost participants, there was a menu card with introductory questions to spark a conversation. Stationery given to us included a writing pad, pen and a small form to enter priority likeness of girls. We were suppose to fill the priority blocks with G-code of the girl we were interested in. It was obviously embarrassing to take note of the G-code batch pinned on the Rida.

I parroted the answers in sequence of the questions presented. After meeting with 3 girls on a 3 minute speed dating buzzer I was bored with yakking out same answers, as I observed 10 more tables to go. Responses I received from the pretty girls were hilarious to pleasantly thoughtful.

Few excerpts were :

Which car I drive ? Where is my house located ? How many House I have back in India ? Will I want to live with my parents for good ? Why I m employed and not a businessman ?

One girl honestly informed me that, she went through 3 failed relationships because 3 of them were psychos, and asked me if I was a psycho too ?? I was amazed in this conversation, apparently she said this to all boys who she was talking to in those 3 minutes. She was a sweet looking and honest girl.

After this initial introductory round, there were many other ice breaker games played, such as : Deeni & Duniya Qweeez Competition ! Tell a joke ! etc. This gave time to match-makers to pair up matching priorities from boys and girls.

Meanwhile, a Sheikh stood up and cracked a sad shitty joke, to which we were more disgusted than amused. One Mulla Saab came to our group of boys and was imparting pearls of wisdom on how to woo a woman, It was silly and stupid. He referred us as tigers on the hunt, aim and target potential partner, girls are shy and submissive preys. He said it with a hint of humour and friendliness (no offense to women folks please).

After a while my respective team leader mulla saab would take me away silently to meet the matched girl and were given more time to freely interact. So as everyone began to disperse one after another to meet their preferred match. Buffet table was opened; extras, freeloaders and our team leaders vanished from the scene to feast on the lavish buffet spread. I met with 2 girls and I was reasonably rejected on several mismatching grounds, may be financially (I don’t own a car, I take bus) or religiously (so to say) ! I wanted to enjoy a good meal after a good time I had at the event. So I walked towards buffet table and I was surprised to see almost empty trays. It was just 30 minutes. I googled through few trays and filled my plate with whatever I could find appealing. I walked to dining table and observed the post buffet scenario, where these freeloaders, extras and our team leaders were caressing their tummies and burping out loud praising the “Faakhera Jaman” With heaps of chicken bones and peels of fresh fruits left on their plates.

I was munching on humble rice and curry I salvaged from the whatever was left in the trays. A girl with a sweet voice with a “Hi” approached me for a conversation. I looked at her and she had this beautiful hazel eyes (designer lenses), and deep dimples on her smiling face. We had a sweet conversation over the event and shared a hearty laugh about the pot-bellied freeloaders around.

We bid goodbye to each other exchanging Emails. Now she is a very good pen friend and occasionally share humorous experience within the community !!

think

Re: My first TNC Match-making experience:

Unread post by think » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:39 pm

thank you human being for an excellent write up. your writing of what tranpired at this meeting is indeed very well expressed. I wonder what love's got to do with cutting a cake for the big baby.

asad

Unread post by asad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:50 am

HB a real good write up without any vile comments made it a pleasant read

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:55 am

^
Br. Nalwala
You Nal is leaking since only HAA HAA is coming please get it checked :lol:

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 am

Br. HB
Can you be please more specific regarding the location, was this in Western Country or was it in India or Pakistan.
What I am going to relate is not eye witness but an experience related by friend of mine.
He sent his daughter to Houston TNC, the girl is highly educated in engineering and has a job with one of the multi-national company based in Texas. She related that there were more girls then Boys. The biggest joke as described by her was that majority of the boys had no higher education and were here in Houston who came during Syend's visit and decided to stay illegally and were more interested in finding out about getting green card then a real life partner
In Western Countries most of the highly educated Bohra Boys do not go to these TNC match making.
To ask USA born and raised boys and girls to come with STD and Rida is real turn off. I think TNC match making is a noble cause but Kothari Goons have just made it un-palatable for the youngsters of West.

porus

Unread post by porus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:46 am

Most Bohra parents in the USA want their children to marry partners with traditional Bohra outlook. These partners may be difficult to find.

In highly artificial environment of Taaruf, youngsters do not reveal their real sides. In an instance related to me, one of the group exercises was to ask girls to relate the most exciting moment of their lives. Most chose to mention 'qadambosi' and 'deedar', which was a turn-off for most boys raised in the USA.

Youngsters who take advantage of the Taaruf opportunity, should arrange discreetly to exchange phone numbers and email addresses and conduct real 'Taaruf' away from these gatherings with those that they like, beyond the prying eyes of organizers.

Conscíous

Unread post by Conscíous » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Bro SBM,
I believe this is in Kuwait :wink:

Conscíous

Unread post by Conscíous » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Bro Mustafa,
Maybe you can help bro HB through your contacts from your wife's side??

think

Unread post by think » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:46 pm

can someone find the facts about how many of such marraiges have lasted and how many were broken up. In a small community of 20 bohras in small town u.s.a. i know the ridda clad women rushed to houston with their daughter's for a bridegroom. People have this notion that if nikah is solomnized by the Dai that it would last forever and would be a happy marraige. Folks this is far from the truth. Let those who had to break up afterwards have the courage to come on this board and state their case so atleast a count can be made as to how many are really happy in such a T.N.C. marraige or is this another ploy of the clergy to mint and enjoy good wedding food.

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:49 am

Hi Friends !!

Thanks a lot for the appreciation on my write up ! I felt this forum is appropriate to share my experience as humor would be aptly understood.

Well !! Well !! With all the volley of questions thrown on this thread ! Hey fellas .. It’s a lighter section of the Forum. C’mon I shared it as matter of humor. Don’t take it in a debative argument way. Nevertheless we can discuss it out.

Friends, First of All lets not get so critical of this scheme.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you be please more specific regarding the location,
Kuwait
Most Bohra parents in the USA want their children to marry partners with traditional Bohra outlook.
What is so objectionable and critical, don’t many Indians or expats in western country wish the same respectively. They prefer their children to marry someone from home country, to remain connected to the roots. I m not saying this as right or wrong. But don’t alienate it as only bohra practice. Many expats in foreign countries are equally hypocritical of its culture. Calling all names as Goras have corrupt western culture blah blah blah !

Hey before you guys start shooting me with all accusation as cultish, fanatic, blind etc etc. I m not stating any generalized opinions here. Everything is subjective to one’s opinions and perceptions. Please I m not a representative of anything, Just an observer.
can someone find the facts about how many of such marraiges have lasted and how many were broken up.
Dear think !! Relax !! Its couple’s problem if their marriage lasted or not !! OMG ! Where are we heading brother ! Don’t get so hysterical with every initiative. There are thousands of marriages getting solemnized and thousands getting divorced in this world. Part of life. Phew !! Take a break !!
People have this notion that if nikah is solomnized by the Dai that it would last forever and would be a happy marraige.
Yeah ! there are people who believe lot of things !! right wrong !! who cares. Its their life. Don’t we go blind in love and marry a person with forever promises, waking up one day to divorce that person we promised to love forever. Whatever !! To each its own !! If that makes them happy !!
I personally refused to get married in Rasme Saifee, not because I have any hatred or objection to its initiative, but I was not ready due to logistical & personal reasons.

There are all types of people in this world, I don’t have statistics, so please believe me !
In highly artificial environment of Taaruf, youngsters do not reveal their real sides
Yes ! I agree with that, well all want to put up best goody goody behavior to form first impression. Don’t we do that in an interview, clubs, lounge, fresher’s party, college, school.
one of the group exercises was to ask girls to relate the most exciting moment of their lives. Most chose to mention 'qadambosi' and 'deedar', which was a turn-off for most boys raised in the USA.
LOL ! Even I have heard similar responses, and few more variations. I mentioned about Deeni & Duniyaa Qweez Competttion remember ! Well part of life and environment ! One girl I spoke to, she was going ga ga over her achievements; number of qadambosi, salams, deedar (she could count number of Deedars, amazing isn’t it ) and cities she has followed Sayedna Saheb for Muharram Mikaat ! I was like “wow” what an achiever !! And no guesses !! She could be a sheikh’s / mulla’s daughter !!

Youngsters who take advantage of the Taaruf opportunity, should arrange discreetly to exchange phone numbers and email addresses and conduct real 'Taaruf' away from these gatherings with those that they like, beyond the prying eyes of organizers.
Exactly !! and That’s what really happens !! Also organizers of TNC announced that, girls and boys who have liked each other from this meeting shall exchange Emails and phone numbers and continue to interact. Also there is no compulsion to inform TNC committee if any alliance worked out or not and Why !! The sole intention of TNC Taroof program was to bring some eligible girls and boys together and interact for a good purpose to understand each other and seek soul mate. Not everyone is smart hunk dude or pretty princess to find a match themselves.

In Western Countries most of the highly educated Bohra Boys do not go to these TNC match making.
Western countries are amazing in everything they do yaar !! Ofcourse it’s a silly thing to ask westernized, civilized, highly developed and educated people to follow such rural and down-standard arrangement from a developing country. Only illiterates, ugly, loners take part in this kind of schemes. Western boys and girls are very stylish, superior in intellect and highly civilized to take part in such silly programs. Western Educated bohra boys consider this as an insult to their hunk-hood to attend such taroof programs !! And super cool damsels find it “eew” to meet those down rated bohra boys from developing countries !!

To ask USA born and raised boys and girls to come with STD and Rida is real turn off.
What do you suggest ? what will be a turn on !! in case some silly westernized, educated, highly intellectual western boy or girl may wish to come to such TNC initiative !

I think TNC match making is a noble cause but Kothari Goons have just made it un-palatable for the youngsters of West.
Yes ! I agree !! It’s a good cause and initiative, but Kothari goons or local administration has misused its intention to make money and control influence. Also in funny sense, I mentioned about the freeloaders who were piling around is an apt example. Even Rasme Saifee is a fine initiative, but the execution of the scheme is biased and influence oriented. I don’t support glorification of what goes on other than real purpose of the event. But I don’t write off this initiatives as Crap – in – Total.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:31 am

SBM wrote:^
Br. Nalwala
You Nal is leaking since only HAA HAA is coming please get it checked :lol:
I didnt expect you to go down that route
:cry:
That was a joke. Regrets if offended :oops:

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:40 am

To ask USA born and raised boys and girls to come with STD and Rida is real turn off.
What do you suggest ? what will be a turn on !! in case some silly westernized, educated, highly intellectual western boy or girl may wish to come to such TNC initiative !
In USA, coming to airport in STD and Rida makes you look one in million now asking the entire group to on night cruise (that is what they did) in Washington DC TNC many of the kids were just did not feel easy. How about asking them to do wear the modest clothes which they wear to their college or to their work.
BTW ISNA (Islamic Society of North America) does the same every year where if not thousand but hundreds do show up which includes many Bohra and your would not recognize them since they have no uniform there. ISNA has been successful without imposing all these artificial hooplas.

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:25 am

Hi SBM

Well I don’t know where did the airport come into the discussion here. We are talking about TNC venues only. Definition / perception of ‘modestly dressed’ may differ from person to person again leading to some kinda dos and don’t and setting of guidelines. There were posts exchanged on another thread with regards to Quomi Libaas. So I don’t wish to bring it up again.

Initiative of ISNA is also commendable. I like such initiative to network and bring people together. With regards to TNC, It’s a good initiative, but closed and inclusive to bohra community only. Now we can debate years and years why it is closed and inclusive. It would be a far fetched dream for Kothar to accept a Taaroof program across sections.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Br. HB
Where did the airport came in? When they asked the people in USA to come in Quomi Libas so they can be recognized at the airport to be picked by the host committee.
No one is asking here for TNC to open the program to NON BOHRAS what I was talking about is the restrictions put on the youngsters and kind of idiotic questions being asked.
I have said time and time again it is a good cause but Goons are not making it easy.

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi SBM

Sorry !! Now I got the idea about the airport !! Well Duhh !! Its indeed a silly suggestion by organizers.

But you know !! In this particular Taroof I attended, There were 2 – 3 boys who had worn casual (shirt and denim) and Topi ofcourse. They were allowed in. They may have been scolded. Who knows !!

There are some over zealous followers who want to trumpet their obedience all the time. I come across such characters at many places. I have interviewed some silly bohra mumins and experienced crazy outlook . Inshallah I will share some fantastic interview experience with some amazing characters.

What kind of Idiotic questions are asked ? Just asking out of curiosity.

True, it’s a good cause, but sadly handled. Lets share suggestions, how can it be made better. You never know someone from the administration are reading forums here. They would eventually adapt the idea and implement it.

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:52 am

Dear Forum Members

I m pleased and Happy to announce, I have committed myself to a wonderful girl who is caring, loving and adventurous with an exciting zeal to live life !

A small austere yet wonderful event of wedding took place in small town of Gujarat ! Laughter of Fun and Masti and tears of happiness and joy flowed.

Regards
Humanbeing

Fateh

Unread post by Fateh » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:01 am

humanbeing wrote:Dear Forum Members

I m pleased and Happy to announce, I have committed myself to a wonderful girl who is caring, loving and adventurous with an exciting zeal to live life !

A small austere yet wonderful event of wedding took place in small town of Gujarat ! Laughter of Fun and Masti and tears of happiness and joy flowed.

Regards
Humanbeing
SHADI MUBARAK
Mubarak Mubarak Khuda aap sau ne khush -o-khurrum rakhe

MM Bukhari

Unread post by MM Bukhari » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:44 am

Regards
Humanbeing
very nice bro, mubarak

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:57 am

Regards
Humanbeing

Superb, superb news. Heartiest Congratulations. :D

Mubabarak thai tamare and to all at home.

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:00 am

Regards
Humanbeing

By the way, why are you still hanging around here. Go away man. There are far more important places to be. :wink:

Where is the honeymoon BTW?

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am

Zinger !!

Thanks Bro, but cant go !! :-(

Paapi Pet ke liyee ... Masoom Dil ko marna pad raha hai !!

Very important assignment at work and wifey visa needs to be arranged meanwhile.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Wishing you a very happy and successful married life !

No more bachelors party :mrgreen:

MM Bukhari

Unread post by MM Bukhari » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:32 am

Indian girls are not of my match and my thinking so I am soon flying to yemen, to get a beautiful islamic and proper hijabi bride for my self :D wish me luck....Inshallah

MM Bukhari

Unread post by MM Bukhari » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:36 am

and I think non indians and specially arabs will be more open minded and Inshallah more practicer of ISLAM in true sense.

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:47 am

all the best Bukhari ji, but was the last comment really necessary?

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:48 am

humanbeing wrote:Zinger !!

Thanks Bro, but cant go !! :-(

Paapi Pet ke liyee ... Masoom Dil ko marna pad raha hai !!

Very important assignment at work and wifey visa needs to be arranged meanwhile.

challo koi baat nahin.

Bhabhi ke aane ke baad toh honeymoon hi honeymoon hain :wink: :lol:

MM Bukhari

Unread post by MM Bukhari » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:11 am

zinger wrote:all the best Bukhari ji, but was the last comment really necessary?
yes its necessary to remind how wrong u are....

amar bil maaruf nahi anil munker...Hussain has said and itss also mention in Quraan, restrict people from wrong anf invite them to goodness.

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:26 am

theek hain janaab. aap jaisa theek samjhe.

magar ek cheez yaad rakhiye,

"hum us desh ke vaasi hain, jis desh mein Ganga behti hain"

"yeh jo des hain tera, swades hain tera, tujhe hain pukara, yeh woh bandhan hain jo kabhi toot nahi sakta"

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Regards
Humanbeing
wish you a very happy married life filled with much happiness, peace and love. from now on its all going to be 'we' and no longer 'me'. remember that little secret and you will both be fine.

also, most important, remember this: the wife is always right and you will never win any argument with her. if you do, be prepared to spend time in the dog house!