What is the point of Ziyarat?

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
WhyPaySabil

What is the point of Ziyarat?

Unread post by WhyPaySabil » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:28 pm

My parents used to make me do Ziyarat and I often asked them the purpose and they never explained it to me. I ask other people in the masjid and they keep giving vague answers. The Aamil was $1000+ sabil before answering any such questions and that isnt really an option for me. anyways, what is the point of ziyarat? are you praying to God on behalf of the dead person? are you praying for yourself? what is going on? Ziyarat is something I've seen only in the bohra community.

shabbir4u

Re: What is the point of Ziyarat?

Unread post by shabbir4u » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:47 am

WhyPaySabil wrote:My parents used to make me do Ziyarat and I often asked them the purpose and they never explained it to me. I ask other people in the masjid and they keep giving vague answers. The Aamil was $1000+ sabil before answering any such questions and that isnt really an option for me. anyways, what is the point of ziyarat? are you praying to God on behalf of the dead person? are you praying for yourself? what is going on? Ziyarat is something I've seen only in the bohra community.
\
My Friend Your Name is perfect Why pay sabil

Why you do Ziyarat ? you are old enough to think or make desicsion.

first of all which ziyarat you talking about ?
and why u talking about.

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 am

hello whypaysabil,

Ziarat can be essentially veiwed from 2 points of view
1. If it is the ziarat of a relative, then ss a mark of respect to someone who is no more
2. If it is the ziarat of some holy personality, then it could be the above, or it could also be for some mannat

Non Dawoodi Bohra muslims or even some Dawoodi Bohra muslims feel that this is wrong. its really a matter of beliefs.

WhyPaySabil

Unread post by WhyPaySabil » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:30 pm

to clarify, my question was for both, some holy personality as well as relative.

from what i understand, after death the soul leaves the body and the body returns to mud, in which case going to the grave of the person means nothing because it doesnt bring you closer to the dead person or anything. also if you are paying your respect why do we pray as part of the Ziyarat? prayers are only for God and to God we pray anyways so why do it at the graves? to me this almost borders on some sort of pagan tradition.

i agree it is a matter of belief, which is why im trying to get to the root of the belief to determine if this is something that is a human invention or something that we are supposed to do as muslims? furthermore, is this somehow violating basic Islamic tenets?

Humsafar

Unread post by Humsafar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:45 pm

WhyPaySabil wrote:... to determine if this is something that is a human invention or something that we are supposed to do as muslims?
All that humans don't do naturally is a human invention, including religion.

WhyPaySabil

Unread post by WhyPaySabil » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:25 pm

i guess we have to start with the premise that the Quran and Islam are not human inventions, but Divine Creations.

Is there any Quran-ic reference to Ziyarat and if so, is there mention to how it must be performed?

Kaka Akela

Unread post by Kaka Akela » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Why Pay Sabil:

I don't know about any qurani injunction but I think there is a hadees of Rasulullah (SA) that any muslim who comes to Mecca for Haj shall visit my grave. visiting a grave is considered equivalent to Half Mulaqaat.

I don't know about my own dead relatives but they say that awliya who dies in the way of Allah are not dead but receive their rizq from Allah probably in their graves. Syedi Abdul qader Hakimuddin was buried for 21 days and when his grave was re-opened, on the instigation of munafeqeen, his body was as fresh as died hours ago. There is an ayat regarding this in Quran but I am on travel and can not access my database to quote it but I am sure some else will.

wise_guy

Unread post by wise_guy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:09 pm

First of all, I do ziyarat in respect of the person who is madfoon (buried). I do ziyarat in both good and bad times. Whenever I visit a qabrastan for ziyarat of my relatives, I feel humble and realize that one day, I would be inside the grave. So that sums up.

Instead of rationalizing each and every aspect of life and looking life in profit and loss terms, please see the small things that a life has to offer, you would be at peace.

WhyPaySabil

Unread post by WhyPaySabil » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:46 pm

wise_guy wrote:First of all, I do ziyarat in respect of the person who is madfoon (buried). I do ziyarat in both good and bad times. Whenever I visit a qabrastan for ziyarat of my relatives, I feel humble and realize that one day, I would be inside the grave. So that sums up.

Instead of rationalizing each and every aspect of life and looking life in profit and loss terms, please see the small things that a life has to offer, you would be at peace.
i dont really feel anything when i visit graves. when i think deeply sitting in my own house about relatives that have passed i feel good about the good times we have had, bad about the loss and thats about it. im not trying to rationalize this, but at the end of the day everyone only does what they think is profitable even if the profit may be as little as 'feel-good'.

as I am human, obviously it is difficult to understand the reason behind everything but I believe that everything in Islam has reason behind it and nothing is 'just because'. therefore I am trying to get to the reason in an attempt to correct my behavior if incorrect.

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:14 am

No need to correct your behaviour friend, it is normal.

everyone has their own way of remembering the dear departed.

if you dont feel like doing ziarat, dont. no harm done. just dont stop someone else from doing it, bus

progticide

Unread post by progticide » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:03 am

WhyPaySabil wrote: i dont really feel anything when i visit graves.

Wonder, how than will you ever perform Hajj, since visit to the Prophet (SAWW)'s grave in Madina is mandatory.
WhyPaySabil wrote:but I believe that everything in Islam has reason behind it and nothing is 'just because'. therefore I am trying to get to the reason in an attempt to correct my behavior if incorrect.
If you are really sincere and honest in what you are saying, than don't miss a single Ashara Mubaraka 1434H waaz in your locality or town. Let this be a starter for you, and Inshallah, if your Niyat is pure than Allah will bless you with further taufiq in understanding the various reasons behind why we do what we do. But, you would need to be patient, very patient. Remember, it took 5 Mighty Prophets and thousands of years to deliver Deen to mankind before the Last prophet (SAWW) was sent to deliver Islam as the final and complete Deen to mankind. Dont expect yourself to be offered every answer everytime. You would need to prove yourself worthy of receiving the answers before asking the questions.

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:31 am

Actually, Progticide bhai ne sahi kahaan.

It takes a lot of knowledge to understand the reason or logic behind doing certain things.

maybe we should strive to gain this knowledge first.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:48 am

Progticide
Wonder, how than will you ever perform Hajj, since visit to the Prophet (SAWW)'s grave in Madina is mandatory.
Wow, Since when visiting Prophet's grave became part of HAJJ. When did this visit became Mandatory. May be for misguided Abdes
it may be but it is never part of HAJJ or Mandatory, STOP SPREADING WRONG INFORMATION
I know for brain dead Abdes it is Mandatory to visit Raudat Tahera before and after Hajj and a side visit to Yemen :twisted:

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 am

progticide wrote:
WhyPaySabil wrote: i dont really feel anything when i visit graves.

Brother
If you are going for Hujj, it is not mandatory to visit Prophet's grave.
Ask pesticide to quote Quranic Aya or Ahadith making it mandatory.