Why Bohra's are not allowed to read Quran with translation

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
AMAFHH

Why Bohra's are not allowed to read Quran with translation

Unread post by AMAFHH » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:50 am

I have a question why Bohras' mainly d.bs are not allowed to read Quran with translation ?
Or at least all the amil should have the raza to explain the people about what true guidance god has give us in the Quran ,
Does the Dai and his family wants to hide the true religion by not giving the knowledge to the general d.bs about the tafseer of Quran ?

trvoice

Re: WHY BOHRA'S ARE NOT ALLOWED TO READ QURAN WITH TRANSLAT

Unread post by trvoice » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:47 am

Well then you would understand what it say, and then you will question what it says and then you wont like the answers you get.

You can start with a basic question of "WHY THE KOTHAR DOES NOT PRINT THE QURAN AS ITS READ IN NAMAZ BY IMAM"

Safiuddin

Unread post by Safiuddin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:44 pm

AMA,

There are MANY translations of the Quran available in a multitude of languages,
and countless scholars of Arabic who can interpret the language. It's plain and simple Fusha,
and is easily interpreted. Do you really believe that anyone who chooses to limit your understanding
to ONLY their interpretation really has no underlying agenda? Do you really believe that the members
of Burhanuddin , Inc. are qualified to interpret this book?
interpret the Quran

Adam

Unread post by Adam » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:36 pm

@AMAFHH
My simple understanding is:
The Quran was revealed in Arabic. It is only best and pure when recited in the pure form it was revealed in. Its original form.
It is the responsibility of every Muslim to learn Arabic Fus'ha and understand the Quran.
If you have any questions, you can request your Amil to help you understand the Quran.
Quran meanings classes and memorization classes are held on a daily basis in many Bohra cities.
No one is hiding anything.

You can start with a basic question of "WHY THE KOTHAR DOES NOT PRINT THE QURAN AS ITS READ IN NAMAZ BY IMAM"

There is no diference in the Quran, you can pick up any "TAJ Company" Quran, or the ones printed in Saudi or Beirut. They are all the same.

humble_servant_us

Unread post by humble_servant_us » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:27 am

There is no diference in the Quran, you can pick up any "TAJ Company" Quran, or the ones printed in Saudi or Beirut. They are all the same.
There are 2 or 3 places where Bohras recite quran in a different way as compared to other muslims. One of the verses which most of us have heard always is in Surah- Al-Inshira (94) (Alam nashra). The word "fansab" in 94:7 is recited as "fansib".

I do not know what is the difference between the two. Maybe someone can shed more light on this.

By the way the Sunnis and shias scholars believe that there is no distortion in Quran, nothing is missing or nothing is extra added in Quran. However I think Bohras differ on this.

seeker110

Unread post by seeker110 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:58 am

Burhanuddin is mentioned in Bhora Quran. He is also known as bolta Quran , except ab us ki bolti ban hou gae hai.

AMAFHH

Unread post by AMAFHH » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:58 am

Adam wrote:@AMAFHH
The Quran was revealed in Arabic. It is only best and pure when recited in the pure form it was revealed in. Its original form.
It is the responsibility of every Muslim to learn Arabic Fus'ha and understand the Quran.
If you have any questions, you can request your Amil to help you understand the Quran.
Quran meanings classes and memorization classes are held on a daily basis in many Bohra cities.

Brother Adam
it is correct that Quran was revealed in Arabic , but the main purpose of Quran is Guidance and it cannot we given without Understanding,
and i have not seen until now Any place were the Aamil is giving any Quran Meaning Classes(Tafseer) ?
From by Behalf i would request you to go to the Aamil of your Town and just ask him that you want to read the Quran translation & Tafseer , Let me know what reply you get ?

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:21 am

A visit to Local Kothar Amil will only lighten your pocket. They would make you sit through pre-preparatory session of learning Quran, they would definitely teach you How to recite the Quran in Arabic. But when it comes to understanding the essence and meaning. Be ready to be brainwashed with absolute fantastic twisted meanings they call (taaweel). Before they start with their version of interpretation they will take away all your common sense.

You can visit tanzil.net it’s a effective website for understanding Quran.

progticide

Unread post by progticide » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:46 am

For those who are still unconvinced maybe if this can add a little more evidence to the above information provided by Adam bhai.

Visit the following links:
http://www.mahadalquran.com/maq/quran-seminars.html
http://www.mahadalquran.com/maq/publica ... ajeed.html

asad

Unread post by asad » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:54 am

progticide wrote:

For those who are still unconvinced maybe if this can add a little more evidence to the above information provided by Adam bhai.

Visit the following links:
http://www.mahadalquran.com/maq/quran-seminars.html
http://www.mahadalquran.com/maq/publica ... ajeed.html
progticide,

If i am not mistaken than first link shows pictures where Husain Saifuddin gave a seminar in UAE, participants were charged 50 dhm each to attend. Seminar was more on Quran as whole and not much tafseer was provided.

Second link takes us to some books published by Jamea publications on few surats. These books contain only few tafseers that too in such convoluted way that its very difficult to understand. I have one book and can publish scanned copies if the need be.

progticide

Unread post by progticide » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:27 am

Asad,
Spend some more time on the various other links within this site before competing to jump to conclusion and trying to be first to post a response.
In the first link there are more tabs which offer details of the schedule and previous sessions in various cities. If you are interested you may request information on the upcoming seminars.
If the Holy Quran could be understood by everyone without the need for a guide or a teacher than why would Rasullah(SAWW) have to mention about leaving the Holy Quran and the AhleBayt together for the Ummah.
Just a caution. Be careful of the copyright violation before publishing the scanned copies.

AMAFHH

Unread post by AMAFHH » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:39 am

brother Asad
you are correct i also found the same info on the website , the main Focus is on How to Read or How to Hifz the Holy Book (Quran)

The Kothar is struggling with the People so that they can learn How to read Quran , i know as that is also very important but what i have read till know is that the Most important is the Tafseer of the Quran to really get the Benefit out of it in our Life
and what i will suggest the Kothar & the Dai to explain the Tafseer of The Holy Book (if they know the True Tafseer) in every Majalis they are having . or they have to make the Translation & Tafseer of the Quran and send to each and every place so that the people can get the Benefit this can only be done if they really Do not have any Intention to Hide the Truth of Quran ,
in a 2:30 hours of Majalis around 1:45 hours are just revolving around the DAI and his Schemes

AMAFHH

Unread post by AMAFHH » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:52 am

progticide wrote:Asad,
Spend some more time on the various other links within this site before competing to jump to conclusion and trying to be first to post a response.
In the first link there are more tabs which offer details of the schedule and previous sessions in various cities. If you are interested you may request information on the upcoming seminars.
If the Holy Quran could be understood by everyone without the need for a guide or a teacher than why would Rasullah(SAWW) have to mention about leaving the Holy Quran and the AhleBayt together for the Ummah.
Just a caution. Be careful of the copyright violation before publishing the scanned copies.

Brother ,
as you mentioned above Yes i also have no Doubt that the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.W) have said this but then as you Think that the Dai is appointed by the Imam-us-Zaman , then it is The Dai's responsibility To write the Full Tafseer of the Quran from his side and have to give it to each and every one or make arrangements so that it reaches every house ,as each one Has the Copy of Quran in the same manner
Why to Make Special Seminar's take Fees and so on ...... ?

asad

Unread post by asad » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:54 am

AMAFHH wrote:

Brother ,
as you mentioned above Yes i also have no Doubt that the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.W) have said this but then as you Think that the Dai is appointed by the Imam-us-Zaman , then it is The Dai's responsibility To write the Full Tafseer of the Quran from his side and have to give it to each and every one or make arrangements so that it reaches every house ,as each one Has the Copy of Quran in the same manner
Why to Make Special Seminar's take Fees and so on ...... ?
According to Dai and his kothar Raudat ul Hidayat 1,2 and 3 are more important than any tafseer of Quran to be distributed to every Bohra's house

asad

Unread post by asad » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:00 am

progticide,

almost all the links talk about semianr on Quran and hifz programme, topic of this thread was to question unavailability of any kind of translation or tafseer which Kothar authorised.

Any answer to why Bohras are asked to read few words in Quran differently?

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:38 am

Br Asad
What is Raudat al Hidaya?
Let us see if Progticide or Adam can respond to why certain changes in Quran by DB establishment.In Quran or Arabic language addition or deletion of Zabar or Zair can change the entire meaning, may be Br Porus can respond ( Br Anajmi since this only relates to DB changes pl contain your excitement at this time 8)

porus

Unread post by porus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:20 am

Both Hifz (Memorization) and Qira'at (Recitation) are important. It is to the credit of Bohras that they have recently taken these subjects seriously and I have been impressed by many who have not only memorized the whole of Juz 30 but also by the fact that they have learned to recite the Quran with tajweed. Clearly, Bohras are training teachers to impart the knowledge of tajweed. However, there is a need to know which Qira'at they are following. I believe it is Hafs but not quite, because there indeed are variations in pronunciations, wuqoof and sajda locations of some of the 15 Sajdas in the Quran. They say it is Fatemi qira'at but there is no 'tawaatur' or isnad that is clearly available.

However, this is not sufficient. To clearly appreciate the 'miracle' of the Quran, knowledge of classical Arabic is required so that the Quran can be recited and understood simultaneously. Youtube has several examples of Qaris being overcome with emotion during recitation. They truly appreciate the 'miracle' of the Quran.

Tafseer too requires knowledge of Classical Arabic. This enables access to great Mufassirs of the past. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of translations.

Many tafseers are available in translation. Some like Ibn Kathir are freely available on-line.

As far as I am aware, there is no blanket ban on reading translations. You are, correctly, warned that tafseers are personal opinions. Add to that the interpretation of the translator and you are twice removed from the Quran.

Naturally, Bohras want to train you in the tafseer of their awliya. This is done in snippets in bayaans and occasionally in print. Even among Bohras there may be disagreement. Badrijanab has provided a reference of tafseer from Sheikh Ahmed Ali Raj.

My own experience of Bohras is that a vast majority of them are not interested in the Quran except for ritual recitation among a small minority. If you are interested, then I suggest you read any tafseer available or the Bohra snippets and approach a Bohra teacher, not necessarily an Aamil, if you need a Bohra take on it.

Bohra disagreement on qira'at revolves around the claim that their qira'at takes into account the correct 'asbaab an-nuzool' which revolve around the importance of Aal-e-Muhammad as essential characteristic of the Quran which Ahl-e-Sunnah either do not know or deliberately suppress.

asad

Unread post by asad » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:27 am

SBM wrote:Br Asad
What is Raudat al Hidaya?
Let us see if Progticide or Adam can respond to why certain changes in Quran by DB establishment.In Quran or Arabic language addition or deletion of Zabar or Zair can change the entire meaning, may be Br Porus can respond ( Br Anajmi since this only relates to DB changes pl contain your excitement at this time 8)
Raudatul Hidayat is a set of books given as a Hadiya to all bohras on SMB's birthday starting from 100th. 1st part contained Hadees, 2nd part contained Hadees plus saying from Ali and 3rd contained sayings from Imam's and duat also with Hadees and sayings from Ali. Books are beautifully crafted with very good material and nicely bound. A very good addition to your home library and should be read daily if possible.

Adam

Unread post by Adam » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:18 am

The slight changes in the qirat are in relation to the 7 different Qirats of the Quran:
e.g., Hafs, Warsh, Hamzah, Qalun, al-Duri etc.
http://www.iium.edu.my/deed/articles/qiraat.html
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Text/Qiraat/

Hafs an Asim is the most popular today.
But if you visit countries like Syria, i'm told the Qurans available in the market are of a different Qirat.

The Dawoodi Bohras follow the mainstream version of Hafs an Aasim, where they follow other qirats (1 of the 7) in accordance to the tilawat of the Ahlul Bayt AS (as mentioned in books such as Daim ul Islam).

Every Qirat is considered correct, and many Muslim recitors pray all 7 different qirats in one sitting or "haflat" of reciation.

If you visit Raudat Tahera Moselum in Mumbai (where Syedna Taher Saifuddin is buried), the Quran is inscribed in gold and exactly according to the Hafs an Aasim qirat (the Quran we all pray). Which shows that all Qirats are accepted, and all are correct.

Adam

Unread post by Adam » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:22 am

@Porus
Thank you for pointing out the progress in recitation and memorization of the Quran amoungst DB Mumineen.

Every city has Quran classes for recitation and learning the Quran, either under the Amil, or someone learned person in the Jamat.
I go for classes myself in my town. It's fascinating.

Contact them.

AMAFHH

Unread post by AMAFHH » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Adam wrote:@Porus
Thank you for pointing out the progress in recitation and memorization of the Quran amoungst DB Mumineen.

Every city has Quran classes for recitation and learning the Quran, either under the Amil, or someone learned person in the Jamat.
I go for classes myself in my town. It's fascinating.

Contact them.
Adam.
i think you have not understood the Subject , i had asked for the Tafseer and Translation ,
there is not doubt that the Kothar is giving classe's on the Memorizing and how to Read the Quran every where this is also very good
but wanted to get some Info why they are not concerned in the same manner to translate the Quran and give classe's to the Mumineen each and every where without having any restriction's

porus

Unread post by porus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:05 pm

AMAFHH wrote: but wanted to get some Info why they are not concerned in the same manner to translate the Quran and give classe's to the Mumineen each and every where without having any restriction's
We are waiting for you to produce the translation and tafseer. Will you do us the honor?

I have already told you that no one stops you from reading translations/tafseer that are available from non-Bohras and at least one tafseer from a Bohra. Did you apply yourself to these?

In any case, let us know what your concern is. Any particular ayat you want to clarify?

And where is the demand for translation/tafseer among Bohras? I do not see any except an occasional unhelpful question of this thread.

Are you willing to read a tafseer? Let us see some evidence of it. Go ahead and pose a question about the Quran right here.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:31 pm

porus wrote:I have already told you that no one stops you from reading translations/tafseer that are available from non-Bohras
What you say is true on a personal level i.e. he has the freedom to read it BUT within the 4 walls of his house as no sooner a Kothari agent learns about it then the bohra is screwed. What he is asking is that why are there restrictions from Kotharis on this issue.

porus

Unread post by porus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:27 pm

ghulam muhammed wrote:
porus wrote:I have already told you that no one stops you from reading translations/tafseer that are available from non-Bohras
What you say is true on a personal level i.e. he has the freedom to read it BUT within the 4 walls of his house as no sooner a Kothari agent learns about it then the bohra is screwed. What he is asking is that why are there restrictions from Kotharis on this issue.
On a personal level, I have discussed translations/tafseers (Sunni and Shia and what I have heard of the Bohra version) with half a dozen Aamils and Bohra ustaads. They did not discourage me but actively engaged with me in discussions. Where they differed they would point it out to me. In fact, each had a favorite English translator. Of course, this is in the UK and the USA in more recent times.

I am not aware of the situation in Indo-Pak. However, I visit East Africa a lot. I see zero interest in the Quran among Bohras there except in hifz among school children. I am sure you are aware why that is. East African Bohras are religiously the least enlightened Bohras on the planet.

JC

Unread post by JC » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Why should they be allowed? And why would they be interested?? They already have BOLTA QURAN ... :lol:

AMAFHH

Unread post by AMAFHH » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:36 am

porus wrote:
ghulam muhammed wrote: What you say is true on a personal level i.e. he has the freedom to read it BUT within the 4 walls of his house as no sooner a Kothari agent learns about it then the bohra is screwed. What he is asking is that why are there restrictions from Kotharis on this issue.
On a personal level, I have discussed translations/tafseers (Sunni and Shia and what I have heard of the Bohra version) with half a dozen Aamils and Bohra ustaads. They did not discourage me but actively engaged with me in discussions. Where they differed they would point it out to me. In fact, each had a favorite English translator. Of course, this is in the UK and the USA in more recent times.

I am not aware of the situation in Indo-Pak. However, I visit East Africa a lot. I see zero interest in the Quran among Bohras there except in hifz among school children. I am sure you are aware why that is. East African Bohras are religiously the least enlightened Bohras on the planet.
Sorry Porus i donot agree with you
May be you have been through some of the Aamils or Ustaad who are not greedy
but in Indo-pak this is not the situation , and as for the interest in quran so i think in many countries the situation is the same with Bohra's , it is upto the Dai to get the People nearer to quran , as how he did with Ziyafats ,Qadambosi Mafsusiyat and so on people are having a lot interest in this kind of Crap
i think the Other Bohra's in the world are very much lightened then the east African bohra's

AMAFHH

Unread post by AMAFHH » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:42 am

porus wrote:
ghulam muhammed wrote: What you say is true on a personal level i.e. he has the freedom to read it BUT within the 4 walls of his house as no sooner a Kothari agent learns about it then the bohra is screwed. What he is asking is that why are there restrictions from Kotharis on this issue.

Sorry Porus i donot agree with you
May be you have been through some of the Aamils or Ustaad who are not greedy
but in Indo-pak this is not the situation , and as for the interest in quran so i think in many countries the situation is the same with Bohra's , it is upto the Dai to get the People nearer to quran , as how he did with Ziyafats ,Qadambosi Mafsusiyat and so on people are having a lot interest in this kind of Crap
i think the Other Bohra's in the world are very much lightened then the east African bohra's

Grayson

Unread post by Grayson » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:12 pm

From the experiences I've had when expressing interest in reading Quran translations or tafseers to Bohras learned in it, the rule of thumb is to feel free to read whatever you please, just don't go so far to interpret it literally based on those translations.

I've observed that a majority of cousins and friends living in the Eastern hemisphere are disinterested in reading anything about the Quran themselves, preferring to engage in cultural and societal customs rather than independently reading about Islamic principles. You could say that kind of mentality was instilled early and is propaganda from the top, but my less close minded friends (for better or worse, mostly of Western influence) are more eager to seek out external sources of knowledge without embedding contrary views absolutely: as either gems of truth or work of the devil. More willing to engage in Ijtehad than be spoonfed.

I've said it often and don't mean to condescend, but based on what I observe among my peers, I see regional mindsets influence peoples actions and thoughts considerably more than inflated language used in bayaans. This is not to shift blame on 'culture' and say our religion is 'pristine', but differences in how we as a society interpret the same bayaans might be a reason for the differences between some people showing interest in understanding the Quran and others content with hifzing because they're told to.

AMAFHH

Unread post by AMAFHH » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Anecdotes From The Life of Imam Hasan (A.S.)
Once a maid of our 2nd Imam, Imam Hasan ibn Ali (A) dropped a hot bowl of soup on Imam (A).
She was very scared because she thought the Imam (A) would be angry and punish her.
She immediately recited the Ayah: "..Those who control (their) anger.."
Imam Hasan (A) smiled and said he was not angry.
Then she recited the next part of the Ayah: "..And are forgiving towards people.."
Imam Hasan (A) said he had forgiven her.
She then finished the Ayah : "..Allah loves those who do good.."
Imam Hasan (A) told her she was free.
The above Ayah is from the Holy Qur'an: Surah Aali Imraan (3), verse 134.
Moral:
The Holy Qur'an is not just there to read but to learn from and act upon. It is the word of Allah and teaches us everything we need to know if only we understood it

AMAFHH

Unread post by AMAFHH » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am

porus wrote:
AMAFHH wrote: but wanted to get some Info why they are not concerned in the same manner to translate the Quran and give classe's to the Mumineen each and every where without having any restriction's
We are waiting for you to produce the translation and tafseer. Will you do us the honor?

I have already told you that no one stops you from reading translations/tafseer that are available from non-Bohras and at least one tafseer from a Bohra. Did you apply yourself to these?

In any case, let us know what your concern is. Any particular ayat you want to clarify?

And where is the demand for translation/tafseer among Bohras? I do not see any except an occasional unhelpful question of this thread.

Are you willing to read a tafseer? Let us see some evidence of it. Go ahead and pose a question about the Quran right here.
Brother Porus
below is a Bayan of the Mansoos read this :-

His recent vaaz in Malindi on Sunday 25th Aug 2013 - received via whatsapp - unedited:
- Quote -
"Malindi no halwo gano fine chhe. Macchi gani chhe yaha to barabar haath farawi ne lejo. Bairawo nokri na kare. Muqadas Mowla ye je bayan Malindi ma farmawutu e pachhu bayan karu. Burhanuddin Mowla ni safar ni details. Nairobi jamea ni khidmat. Jabir na be farzando ni zikr. Sifin ma mussa ashari. Quran ni tafsir raza bagair hargiz na parjo. Khaas karine awaam ni kitaabo.