Suggestions to Admin

This forum covers a whole range of issues: from international politics and economy to human rights, from corporate domination and greed to environmental crises...
New

Suggestions to Admin

Unread post by New » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:47 am

I am new here. With numerous postings it is hard to keep track. Can you please give a unique number to keep track? For example, A199 or D20.

Is it necessary to have the "date joined" where it is displayed? It is very distracting. How about having the post time and date in its place?

wise_guy

Re: Suggestions to Admin

Unread post by wise_guy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:51 am

yes, I also support that the 'date joined' info should not be displayed in all posts. Rather it can be displayed just on the user profile page. Only post date should be displayed.

AgnosticTheist

Unread post by AgnosticTheist » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:44 am

This forum runs on a free and open source software called https://www.phpbb.com/. I don't think Admin writes code himself.

So with a third party software - the customisations are limited. Unless phpBB offers a setting to change what is shown in each post, I don't think Admin will be able to change it.

AgnosticTheist

Unread post by AgnosticTheist » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:12 pm

I have my own little suggestion for Admin. How about creating an entirely new sub-board "Nass controversy" (or something on that lines) for all the topics on recent events? I don't think these topics belong to "Bohras and Reforms" and the number of topics related to Nass will only increase as time goes by.

juzerali

Unread post by juzerali » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:51 am

I think this forum is very slow and non responsive in terms of user experience. My suggestion would be to take down the forum completely and use Google Groups for discussion. Many large/small companies use google groups for example 10gen, the company behind MongoDB. Google groups forum are free to use. It is also possible for people to keep their privacy and their identity hidden on groups. It doesn't take slow page refreshes to upvote or reply to a post. This will also bring down the cost of this forum.

wise_guy

Unread post by wise_guy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:30 pm

Capture.PNG
Got this error message just now. It seems, this website is getting quite popular these days with lot of users flooding in. Time to increase IT resources if possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:42 pm

wise_guy wrote:
Capture.PNG
Got this error message just now. It seems, this website is getting quite popular these days with lot of users flooding in. Time to increase IT resources if possible.
Once again,. let me say or let me remind. This website and forum is run by few individuals with their own time and money, Unlike the Kothari Websites which has coerced many Abde businesses to put their advertisements, this website has none or very few in between.
Yes this website and its admin are overwhelmed and are doing the best with the limited resources
Please read the top on the website in Red " Support t his forum.donate today" and please do act on it, that line on the top is for a reason and not a show line. I wish the number of hits this forum is getting if only half of them would also click on the red line, I am sure Admin will be able to put that financial resources to accommodate everyone's suggestion
As some one said, talk is always cheap, let us all chip in and make the walk.

juzerali

Unread post by juzerali » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:46 pm

SBM wrote: Once again,. let me say or let me remind. This website and forum is run by few individuals with their own time and money, Unlike the Kothari Websites which has coerced many Abde businesses to put their advertisements, this website has none or very few in between.
Yes this website and its admin are overwhelmed and are doing the best with the limited resources
Please read the top on the website in Red " Support t his forum.donate today" and please do act on it, that line on the top is for a reason and not a show line. I wish the number of hits this forum is getting if only half of them would also click on the red line, I am sure Admin will be able to put that financial resources to accommodate everyone's suggestion
As some one said, talk is always cheap, let us all chip in and make the walk.
Why not move to google groups. It is free to use, no resources required. Plus comments are sent and received in real time. We can easily search through long discussion threads, mark them as favorites. Possible to have one's privacy.

New

Unread post by New » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Juzeralibhai.
Can you please give instructions how one sets up google chat. That will facilitate the Admin job.
I would like to donate, there is no anonymity in credit card. I do not have a PayPal.

juzerali

Unread post by juzerali » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:21 am

New wrote:Juzeralibhai.
Can you please give instructions how one sets up google chat. That will facilitate the Admin job.
I would like to donate, there is no anonymity in credit card. I do not have a PayPal.
Visit https://groups.google.com/. Click on Create Group. Basically thats it. All the steps are automated. It will require a google account to create the group, and to participate in the group. For just watching the group, i.e. reading through the threads does not require any login if it is a public group. Be sure to select the group type as "Web Forum" and use appropriate settings. All the assistance is provided while filling the form. Each option selected gives visual feedback as to what it means to select the option.

But here is a catch. You will have to create a fake email address to guard your privacy. Before you join a group you are warned
Other members of this group can find your email address. Anyone who knows your email address could discover your Google Profile.

But if admin gives Public rights to post messages, anyone can comment without even logging in. But that poses challenge to management of the group in identifying rogues. Even if Google Groups doesn't fit the needs of this forum (I think it pretty well does), I am sure some better (free) alternative exists. Using php forums is just archaic.

I can provide assistance if required to set up the forum + embedding it on this website. That way all the discussions will be hosted on this site only, users will not have to go to another site. Everything will be served from the servers of Google, admin will be left to worry about hosting the article content only.

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:46 am

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and ideas. We'll try to implement and make things faster and easier within the existing framework for now. Given the traffic and the importance of issues being discussed we do not want to try a new forum/application at this time.
Thank you.

juzerali

Unread post by juzerali » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Admin wrote:Thank you everyone for your suggestions and ideas. We'll try to implement and make things faster and easier within the existing framework for now. Given the traffic and the importance of issues being discussed we do not want to try a new forum/application at this time.
Thank you.
Yeah that makes sense.