New Platform for the Young ' Modern Bohras' [matrimonial]

Lighten up a little and talk about movies, music, books and recipes and more... this forum provides the flip side to the intense and serious discussion taking place in other forums. No topic is off-limit here so long as it is within the accepted norms of decency and decorum.
Young Modern Bohri

New Platform for the Young ' Modern Bohras' [matrimonial]

Unread post by Young Modern Bohri » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi,
So I am not really sure if this is the right place to post this suggestion or idea. But here is a thought. I was wondering if we could come up with a online paltform via this website or outside it..where young modern Bohras could meet up for matrimonial purposes.

I am right now at a marriage age, and being a educated career oriented individual, I am finding it very...and i mean really very difficult to find a partner within our community that has a broad open minded approach towards life. Though I am career oriented, but I am equally family driven too, and have certain goals and outlook of where I see myself and my family after marriage. My goals my visions. But I see the young youth have no such concerns, and do do not have even a vaguely set plan. I wonder how they have agreed to marry without having any inkling of how they would support their family.

Also new comments favouring towards woman education more home science oriented and house bound, makes me very apprehensive. I always considered myself a moderate practicing Bohra, but now the term moderate has lost its meaning! I can't define myself as liberal or moderate!

I was wondering if there are any such young bohras left, who are believers in a strong education system , and have a broad minded approach to life. Whose life is not restricted and constrained to a beard , burqa business and restricting all interactions only amongst apnawalas.

Admin

Re: New Platform for the Young ' Modern Bohras' [matrimonial

Unread post by Admin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 pm

We have a matrimonial section on the site: http://dawoodi-bohras.com/matrimonials/, and it's been around for a long time.
But of course, it doesn't answer you larger issue: dearth of educated, broad-minded Bohras. This is a societal problem, and if there is enough interest in this subject we can open a separate forum for it.

Qutbi-Hero

Unread post by Qutbi-Hero » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Bro/Sis?

The solution for you is very simple - look for a Bohra who was born in a Western country. :wink:

Young Modern Bohri

Unread post by Young Modern Bohri » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:52 am

It's not as simple alas Qutbi,

Have been trying for quite a while. But the Bohras out there also seem of the same mindset. And a few who's profile I liked, prefer someone living in that part of the world itself. Perhaps to prevent Visa issues etc. Not sure...but the try is still on..:)

And it's sis..:)

Free_Spirit

Unread post by Free_Spirit » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Qutbi-Londoner wrote:Bro/Sis?

The solution for you is very simple - look for a Bohra who was born in a Western country. :wink:
Q bro..sometimes the ones in the west are more backward than those in India or Pakistan ! My friend had a traumatic marriage in London and now she is a single mom to two children !

Qutbi-Hero

Unread post by Qutbi-Hero » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Young Modern Bohri wrote:It's not as simple alas Qutbi,

Have been trying for quite a while. But the Bohras out there also seem of the same mindset. And a few who's profile I liked, prefer someone living in that part of the world itself. Perhaps to prevent Visa issues etc. Not sure...but the try is still on..:)

And it's sis..:)
Sister, marriage is always tough, not just for Bohras but for every community in the world.

Personally, I would recommend not using the internet and liking the online profiles of complete strangers bhen - use instead your friends and family connections and get to know people through others first. The biggest problem I see these days is youngsters "doing it for themselves" therefore cutting out the supervision and experienced advice of their elders.

As for some people preferring a girl living in the same country - this is to be expected. It makes the whole process easier and immediately shows they will have things in common and be well adjusted to life in the West. At the same time there will always be people who are looking for a girl who is not from the same country as it can be make things more interesting and exciting, as you will both learn about each other and grow together. Everybody is different so it's always best to treat them as such.

Remember there is always somebody out there for everybody, so don't give up hope!

Qutbi-Hero

Unread post by Qutbi-Hero » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:31 pm

Free_Spirit wrote:
Qutbi-Londoner wrote:Bro/Sis?

Q bro..sometimes the ones in the west are more backward than those in India or Pakistan ! My friend had a traumatic marriage in London and now she is a single mom to two children !
True, there will always be some failures amongst the majority of successes. As I've said before, the Reformists in the UK are going through an epidemic of broken marriages.
Most of the time it's due to choosing the wrong person to marry... so decide very carefully!

Young Modern Bohri

Unread post by Young Modern Bohri » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Qutbi-Londoner wrote:
Young Modern Bohri wrote:
Personally, I would recommend not using the internet and liking the online profiles of complete strangers bhen - use instead your friends and family connections and get to know people through others first. The biggest problem I see these days is youngsters "doing it for themselves" therefore cutting out the supervision and experienced advice of their elders.

Remember there is always somebody out there for everybody, so don't give up hope!
Thanks Qutbi. Yes I do take extreme caution before initiating contact with people. Try to check them out on FB and through other means. I was against the web based stuff, but as I have a particular requirement of someone residing Abroad or outside India - this seems to be the best way to communicate. Our networks also don't reach so far.

I do inform my immediate elders if things seem positive [but not before that as they tend to get a bit overexcited and positive about the whole thing :/] and if they don't I try to cut it short soon.

But the search is on ye...Will keep trying..Thanks for your advice and input..:)

Young Modern Bohri

Unread post by Young Modern Bohri » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Admin wrote:We have a matrimonial section on the site: http://dawoodi-bohras.com/matrimonials/, and it's been around for a long time.
But of course, it doesn't answer you larger issue: dearth of educated, broad-minded Bohras. This is a societal problem, and if there is enough interest in this subject we can open a separate forum for it.
Yes, would like to see a separate forum out up on this subject. Hope you get enough queries and interest! Thanks :D

morningdew

Unread post by morningdew » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:09 pm

Hey! I totally agree with you. A lot of young bohris have started to seek outside the community to seek a compatiable match, because there are just not enough educated, broad-minded people within the community that are acessable and avaiable. www.hipstershaadi.com
We need something of this sort for our community.