Compulsory Attendance for Misaak

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
HirsuteGenuflector

Padding the attendance- a new tabbudaat event?

Unread post by HirsuteGenuflector » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:32 am

It really depends on your how your jamaat is governed. I have heard of jamaats where even a third mishak was held to accommodate stragglers. Even more accommodating was attendance for ziyarat (Mumbai) . The ejamaat number was asked for on a piece of paper by my cell leader ( I don't know what you call him) and the next day some ITS flunkey called me around 11pm to enquire when I had been to Raudat Tahera, I said I could not remember exactly. He kindly offered a date and I said that that was about right, and we both had a good night sleep after a day of pleasant toil.

I checked my ITS status to find that not only I but my entire family had been to ziyarat. The date also came in useful when filling what I call the misak attendance chit, which also required to know when you had gone to Mumbai.

I'm sure this will become an annual event

786_110

Re: Compulsory Attendance for Misaak

Unread post by 786_110 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:06 pm

I have been hearing that updating your status and what not has become more of a thing that they are pushing now a days. Maybe that is my jamaat, I don't know. As for calling, I haven't nor do I know anyone who really gets calls especially that late at night. But I wouldn't be surprised if it started happening soon.

questions

Unread post by questions » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:01 pm

A third set of dates has been set well in advance for my jamat stragglers and the jamat has identified these stragglers by email and sent them a 'reminder' email to come or else !

I have made my thoughts very clear to my brain dead junooni abde 'friends' and they in turn have already ostracized me even though I have taken the damn misaq for some other reasons. And for what its worth these same people are educated, decent and caring - now turned quite literally into inhuman monsters who would not even bat an eyelid if you were murdered in front of them.

Sequence

Unread post by Sequence » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:47 pm

questions wrote:A third set of dates has been set well in advance for my jamat stragglers and the jamat has identified these stragglers by email and sent them a 'reminder' email to come or else !

I have made my thoughts very clear to my brain dead junooni abde 'friends' and they in turn have already ostracized me even though I have taken the damn misaq for some other reasons. And for what its worth these same people are educated, decent and caring - now turned quite literally into inhuman monsters who would not even bat an eyelid if you were murdered in front of them.
so now what will u do?

Akhtiar Wahid

Unread post by Akhtiar Wahid » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:07 am

Misaaq " the allegiance " is their main weapon, and when in time of need they are going to use it during the legal battles and if you turn sides they are going to humiliate you.

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:32 am

Akhtiar Wahid wrote:Misaaq " the allegiance " is their main weapon, and when in time of need they are going to use it during the legal battles and if you turn sides they are going to humiliate you.
Misaaq doesn’t hold any legal ground. Few terms and conditions in the misaaq are against democractic laws and are inhumane in nature. Moreover it is not even a written / implied contract.

Kothar dare not or they don’t have guts to give/take misaaq in writing. It is a lousy trick / excuse that kothar uses to scare the brainwashed abdes. In reality it is not the misaaq that people fears, it is the disassociation from the social club that abde fears. If they don’t remain abde; then no mithaas, no kharaas, no “bhaari rida” no venue to show off, no jamat khana to catch up with friends, no leisure tours to ziyarats and muharrams, loss of business contacts etc. imagine how bored abdes will get without these activities.

true_bohra

Unread post by true_bohra » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:49 am

What a lame answer. You mean to say that meesaq is the tool from whih people get prosperity.

Without meesaq there would be no good food, no social life, no leisure, no business. Should i take out inference that reformist and other people of world does not have proper food, business and social life because they dont give meesaq.

Why are you mixing two unrelated things in one

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:08 am

Misaaq has been reduced to a ritual. Infact lets read/listen few terms of misaaq and discuss if they are even applicable ? most of bohras don’t follow the terms of misaaq diligently leave alone religiously. Infact the very abdes don’t follow their dai’s order as they should. There are always slips between the cup and the lip. I m not some great pious souls who follows islam or misaaq to the T, also I do not wish to accuse bohras or abdes of not following misaaq religiously. The few content of misaaq is objectionable and in cases impractical.

Thre are abdes/bohras who sing and dance in praises of the Dai and also do haraam acitivities. Yet they remain to be bohra and none of the misaaq terms apply to them. specially when Ghaib-na-jaannaar maula knows and doesn’t act. But when someone talks of accounts and transparency in open, the “ghaib-na-janaar” maula will jump to dissolve their misaaq !!

My post is clear when I say what abde fear is loss of association and not breaking of a misaaq …. You have chosen to take trivial points to divert the discussion.

questions

Unread post by questions » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:23 am

Sequence wrote:
questions wrote:A third set of dates has been set well in advance for my jamat stragglers and the jamat has identified these stragglers by email and sent them a 'reminder' email to come or else !

so now what will u do?
Sequence - I am just biding my time and have cut ties with Jamati so called friends . If my misaq is the criteria by which they judge me they do not need to know i have taken it already. I am already so tired of this whole tempest in a teapot that is our little world . Aur Bhi Gham hay zananay main muhabat Kay Siwa ...lots of other uses of all our time like the environment, women's issues injustice, politics, etc

saminaben

Unread post by saminaben » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:04 pm

I now understand more clearly how much of what I thought was my "religion" is really a social and community or cultural thing. My namaaz and ibaadat so closely tied to masjid and RIDA and topi wearing bohra clothes, and jaman etc, incline misaaq, all the while trusting Allah, but unknowingly slowly chipping away my faith in Allah and increasing my faith on the Aamils, miyaasahebs, and whatever khidmatguzaars tells me.

Now with this Nass thing and witness so much wrongdoings, I just thankful to my own beloved Allah for tawakkul, that right and wrong is not tied to any other person or Aamil or sheikh or khidmatguzaars gizaar or so called Shehzada or bhaisaheb or princes.

I now learned purity is less to do with misaaq and more to do with my own conscience and integrity that Allah bestowed upon me as my own Aql.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:59 pm

humanbeing wrote:Misaaq has been reduced to a ritual. Infact lets read/listen few terms of misaaq and discuss if they are even applicable ?
humanbeing wrote:The few content of misaaq is objectionable and in cases impractical.
While on the subject of "Misaq" it would be interesting to go through the below mentioned post which appeared on this forum some time back...........

THE MEANING & REPURCUSSIONS OF GIVING "MISAQ".

Why is the practice of giving Misaq (oath of allegiance) to Dai made so fundamental in Dawoodi Bohra Community? It is claimed that "No one is born a Dawoodi Bohra. On reaching puberty every person who so desires can voluntarily give the Misaq which one is enjoined to do by tenets of the faith and so becomes a member of the Dawoodi Bohra sect." Why there is so much emphasis on Misaq?

Now-a-days Syedna Saheb and his administration clearly say: "There is no need for a written apology, just give Misaq and come in our fold." This change in their strategy and this sudden leniency is welcome. But why this insistence on Misaq to Dai?

Let us examine word by word this latest claim that: "No one is born a Dawoodi Bohra. On reaching puberty every person who so desires can voluntarily give the Misaq which one is enjoined to do by tenets of the faith and so becomes a member of the Dawoodi Bohra sect."

It said "No one is born a Dawoodi Bohra." This is ridiculous claim. Can any Dawoodi Bohra parents accept that their newly born child is not a Dawoodi Bohra? If the child is not Dawoodi Bohra why should they perform the child's Aqiqa? Why were they asked to pay tax on "hamal" when the child in mother's womb was not a Dawoodi Bohra? Why is a child of Dawoodi Bohra parents when admitted in Madresas or Schools (even run under Syedna's control) is mentioned as "Dawoodi Bohra"?

Further it is claimed that: "On reaching puberty every person who so desires can voluntarily give the Misaq..."

Is 13 or 15 year the age of puberty? Is giving Misaq to Dai is left to individual's choice? How can Misaq be voluntary when one can become a member of the Dawoodi Bohra Community only after giving Misaq to Dai?

The Orthodox Dawoodi Bohras and Reformist Dawoodi Bohras both believe in the office of Dai-ul-Mutlaq and Fatemi Dawat. Both believe in the custom of Misaq. The only difference between them is that the orthodox Dawoodi Bohras give Misaq to Dai and the Reformist Dawoodi Bohras give Misaq to Imam. Even for the present day Misaq Reformists have been demanding its text but Syedna Saheb's administration has not made the text of Misaq public. Why?

The text of Misaq is in Arabic language. And the text of Misaq is read out paragraph by paragraph by the Amil and at the end of each paragraph the Misaq taker is asked to say "Na'am" (Yes, agreed). The Misaq is intentionally kept in Arabic language so that the normal Bohra who gives Misaq does not know what he is committing. He remains unaware of the implications of this Misaq for rest of his/her life. The Misaq taker does not know that he/she becomes a slave of Dai's commands in all religious, secular, worldly and personal matters. He does not know that he/she is making the Dai an absolute dictator controlling all aspects of his/her life. If ever he/she disobeys any dictate of the Dai his Misaq is considered "broken".

The Misaq taker does not know the inhuman punishments and insult he/she is likely to undergo if he ever in any matter fails to obey the Dai's dictates. The Misaq breaker is not aware of the condition of Misaq which he has accepted that: "all his possessions, i.e. movable, cash, house, utensils, jewels, ornaments, car ...all worldly materials is liable to be looted..."
Say Yes."
"........if the breaker of Misaq has a wife that wife becomes forbidden to him...... Say Yes."

"....if the breaker of Misaq performs Hajj 30 times with naked feet even than God shall not forgive him his sin (of breaking Misaq given to Dai), nor God shall accept his Hajj. But if takes Misaq again then alone God shall accept his Hajj, his prayers, fasts and other good deeds.
Say Yes."

Through Misaq the takers of Misaq is made to accept absolute authority of the Dai in advance in all religious, secular, social and personal matters. The Misaq taker is made to give an advance commitment to disown his close relations like father, mother, brother, sister, wife, husband, children, friends etc. when asked to do so by the Dai.

This is absolutely inhuman and thus un-Islamic and against Shari'ah. Such a Misaq is atrocious and monstrous. No person with slight amount of self-respect and Islamic sense can accept such conditions. How can a true Muslim or human being accept the status of Dawoodi Bohra Dai above Allah, who claims that even Allah cannot accept the Hajj, prayers, fasts and other good deeds of a Misaq breaker unless he pardons him or her. This is a Sin much more serious than Kufr and Shirk that Dawoodi Bohras are made to commit unknowingly. The altered Misaq in the form in which it is taken since the time of 51st Bohra Dai, Syedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb makes every Dawoodi Bohra only a slave, not of Allah but of the Dai.

After taking such a Misaq a true Dawoodi Bohra becomes an offender of not only the laws of his country but also against the laws of Allah. He cannot tell the truth in the court of law when he or she has to appear as witness against the Dai. He cannot criticize Syedna, his Shahzadas or Amils in private or in public and continues being exploited and tortured by them. In short he has to mortgage his entire life to the Dai.

That is why Syedna Saheb keeps on repeating "Be loyal to the laws of your country". This is to hide the fact that the Dawoodi Bohras who are loyal to Syedna Saheb can not be loyal to their country in case they have to report any illegal activities being carried out in his name by his agents.

Therefore this Misaq has made the Dai, his family members, his Amils and other staff members most arrogant, ruthless and fearless on one hand and Bohras their helpless slaves on the other hand.

Again according to the condition of Misaq "And you shall accept the orders of the Dai in all things. And you shall not do a thing which the Dai shall forbid you". In order to implement this condition of Misaq "Raza", for all religious and social matters and customs, was introduced and made compulsory. Nikah in Islam is a civil contract between would-be-bride and would-be-bride groom. Burial of dead is a civil activity and graveyards are civil properties. Establishing school, colleges, hospital, libraries, banks, musfarkhanas, kabrastans etc are all social welfare activities. Religion has nothing to do with them. But because of the condition of 'Raza' a Dawoodi Bohra is refused the use of community's properties such as school, colleges, hospitals, libraries, banks, musfarkhana, kabrastans etc. That is why when Syedna Saheb demolished the Sanatorium built by the reformists and built 'Saifee Hospital" on its land, the Supreme Court of India needed to define 'Dawoodi Bohras' who would use the hospital. The judgment delivered on 3rd February 2000 in the Case No. 826 by it has specified that:

"30 (Thirty) beds in the proposed Saifee Hospital shall be reserved for treatment of members of the Dawoodi Bohra Community free of charge. Such beds and treatment to be provided to economically needy Dawoodi Bohras, regardless of whether they have taken the Misaq or not and regardless of whether they are ex-communicated or not.

It is to be noted that the Syedna Saheb's Shahzadas, solicitors and advocates present in the Court, quietly accepted this definition of Dawoodi Bohras and condition imposed by the Hon. Supreme Court of India without raising any objection.

This definition of Dawoodi Bohras and the acceptance of the fact by the highest court in the country that the members of Dawoodi Bohras are subjected to "excommunication" will greatly effect the case against 'Baraat' (excommunication) now pending in the same Hon. Supreme Court of India.

Therefore the claim that "No one is born a Dawoodi Bohra but becomes Dawoodi Bohra only after giving Misaq to the Dai" hold no ground and the reformist Bohras are also Dawoodi Bohras and they are entitled to make use of the community's properties like dargahs, graveyards, Musfarkhana without restriction. Syedna Saheb and his Amils have no right or authority to stop their Nikahs and burial and their entry in any community property.

Even when late Syedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb tried to consolidate his superior power over the community by altering the text of Misaq and enforcing 'Raza' for every thing he very well knew that he can be challenged in the court of law. So he, for the first time in the Bohra history, introduced another deadly weapon 'Salambandh and Jamatkharij'. He initially made a mistake of issuing farman of Jamatkharij in writing. But when he was challenged and got defeated in the court of law he in 1965 coined another word "Baraat" for Jamatkharij and started its oral pronouncement.

Immediately after the independence of India in 1947 an act known as "Prevention of Excommunication Act, 1949" was passed in Bombay legislative assembly which prohibited ex-communication altogether thus curtailing Syedna Saheb's power to excommunicate his dissidents. Late Syedna therefore challenged it in the law court, thus accepting the fact that he is not above the laws of the land. Having lost in Bombay High Court he carried the matter to the Supreme Court. In 1962 the Supreme Court while striking down the Act gave power to excommunicate purely on Religious ground as the Court's attention was not drawn on the actual contents of Misaq and the manner in which it is enforced by the Syedna Saheb and his administration. And the fact that Syedna Saheb makes no distinction between the Religious and the Secular matters. The Supreme Court was also kept unaware that Baraat is much more than a mere expulsion from the Masjid. It involves breaking of marriages and the families, closing down of the welfare institutions.

The procedure for ex-communicating a person by Syedna Saheb purely on religious ground was set out by the Supreme Court in 1962 as follows:

1. The Syedna Saheb will send a show-cause notice to the acused clearly specifying his/her fault in the religious matter giving him/her time to explain his case and reply in writing.

2. The reply letter to be read out in the concerned Jamat meeting.

3. Based on the explanation received, the Jamat will finally decide whether the alleged person be ex-communicated or not.

From this it looks like that the power to ex-communicate is vested in the hands of Jamat and not in the hands of Syedna Saheb. But this is just eyewash as far as Dawoodi Bohra Community is concerned. Because here because of conditions of Misaq given to Dai by each and every Jamat member is bound to obey the command of Dai and he dare not go against the Dai. Thus Jamat may feel otherwise but each member will vote in favour of the Dai's proposal. Hence consent of the Jamat is no consent at all. Therefore the position taken by the Supreme Court in 1962 is open to criticism and needs to be corrected. That is why the Central Board of Dawoodi Bohra Community has filed a review petition in the Supreme Court.

With the above facts it is clear that the Misaq introduced and enforced by late Syedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb is the root of all the evils in the community.

needofreform

Unread post by needofreform » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:13 am

I hate this 'compulsory' term....wen one dont want to go for misaq then also every1 keep pressurising nd one have to go...not bcause misaq is a mandatory ritual...but bcause logo su kehse...like misaaq there r lots of other thing...even i dint want to go every night to masjid till 40 days after SMB's death ...but had to go...i m sick of all these...