Wahabi Movement and the Indian Freedom Movement

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
freebhora

Wahabi Movement and the Indian Freedom Movement

Unread post by freebhora » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:43 am

From Indian History source:

The Wahabi Movement was a part of the Indian freedom struggle (http://www.indianetzone.com/39/indian_i ... vement.htm) as it offered a serious threat to British supremacy in India in the 19th century. The movement was led by Syed Ahmed Barelvi, who was greatly influenced by the teaching of Abdul Wahab of Arabia and the preaching of Delhi (http://www.indianetzone.com/2/delhi.htm) saint Shah Walliullah. The Wahabi Movement essentially condemned all changes and innovations to Islam (http://www.indianetzone.com/2/islam.htm) . It was a revivalist movement which held that the return to the true spirit of Islam was the only way to get rid of the socio- political oppression

To materialize the desired objectives of the Wahabi Movement, Syed Ahmed looked for the right leader, a proper organization, a safe territory, wherefrom to launch his Jihad. Syed Ahmed was declared as the desired leader or Imam. He built up a countrywide organization with an elaborate secret code. The organization worked under four spiritual associate trustees called Khalifas. The missions of the Wahabis were mainly concentrated in the region of Hyderabad (http://www.indianetzone.com/3/hyderabad.htm) , Chennai (http://www.indianetzone.com/2/chennai.htm) , Bengal, Uttar Pradesh (http://www.indianetzone.com/3/uttar_pradesh.htm) and Mumbai (http://www.indianetzone.com/2/mumbai.htm) . The Wahabis played diplomatically with the solemn aim to establish their supremacy. With this intent in mind, the Wahabis first launched a Jihad against the Sikh kingdom in Punjab (http://www.indianetzone.com/2/punjab.htm) . In 1830 they occupied Peshawar. But in the following year Syed Ahmed lost
his life in his fighting against the Sikhs. After the overthrow of the Sikh ruler and the incorporation of Punjab into the dominion of the British East India Company (http://www.indianetzone.com/7/british_e ... ompany.htm) , the sole target of the Wahabis` attack was the English dominion in India. Wilayat Ali and Enayat Ali, the two brothers of the Sadiquepur family of Patna (http://www.indianetzone.com/3/patna.htm) , had come into contact with Syed Ahmed and became his disciples. After the death of Syed Ahmed in May 1831, they kept on working alternatively in faraway places like Sitana in the west and Frontier Rajmahal, Malda and Chittagong in east Bengal and carried on their revolutionary activities to end British domination in India. They were the pioneers in perfecting the system of despatch of men and money from India which continued with wonderful efficiency and fool-proof accuracy for a long time. In 1847, the Wahabis started full preparation for an absolute war
against the British rule in India from their base camp in Sitana. Wilayet Ali became the undisputed leader.

The British took up brutal measures and the period between 1863-65, witnessed a series of trials by which all the principal leaders of the Wahabi movement were arrested. The Ambala (http://www.indianetzone.com/4/ambala.htm) trial of 1864 and Patna trial of 1865 were closely interlinked. Yahaya Ali along with Mohammed Jafar and Mohammed Shaft was sentenced to death in the Ambala trial and the others were sentenced to expatriation for life. The death sentences were later converted to transportation for life. Yahaya Ali was sent to the Andamans to undergo his sentence for life imprisonment. Ahmadullah was convicted in the Patna trial (1865) along with Fayzeli, Yahaya Ali and Farhat Ali. He was convicted for devising a conspiracy and initiating an orchestrated treason. The death sentence of Ahmadullah awarded on 27th February 1865 was later on converted to deportation for life by the high court and he was sent to the Andamans in June 1865. Amiruddin was convicted to life
imprisonment in the Malda trial (1870) and was transported to the Andamans and his property was confiscated. The most respected leader of the Wahabi Movement, Ibrahim Mandal of Islampur, was convicted in Raj Mahal trial (1870) for organising movement at Raj Shahi and was sentenced to transportation for life and was send off to the Andamans. He was, however, released in 1878 by Lord Lytton. Amir Khan and Hashmat Khan sentenced to transportation for life were also sent to the Andamans after they were arrested in July 1869 on the charge of raising funds for crusade against the British rulers.

It is therefore evident from the foregoing discussion that the Wahabis were a major part of the Indian freedom movement. During the Sepoy Mutiny (http://www.indianetzone.com/2/sepoy_mutiny.htm) of 1857, the Wahabis played a notable role in spreading anti-British sentiments. However historians have opined that though the Wahabis spread anti-British sentiments, they did not have exact participation in anti- British Military activities.

Source:
http://www.indianetzone.com/30/wahabi_m ... vement.htm

tasneempati

Re: Wahabi Movement and the Indian Freedom Movement

Unread post by tasneempati » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:58 am

Shit. Pig shit.

freebhora

Unread post by freebhora » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:33 am

Please stop abusive language which typifies you.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:41 am

I think we need to stop talking about Wahhabis and wahhabism on this forum. Wahhabism may have started out with the best of intentions but is now overflowing with hatred for everyone and everything. Any "ism" should be considered deviant. Unless a person can say that he is not a Wahhabi, but a muslim, then he is a deviant. If you say that you are a Wahhabi and hence a true muslim. then you do not know jack shit.

freebhora

Unread post by freebhora » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Bro anajmi ,
I agree with your reasoning and I am posting about "Wahhabi" as I see many members have very negative views regarding them and "wahhabis" themselves never call themselves wahhabi. Anyone who speaks against shirk is labelled as wahhabi , who knows this word may even enter into a dictionary (I think it has already). I myself is against labelling not that its incorrect to do so but because it makes sweeping oversimplifications and applies a single label to all kinds of people without making any distinction , those blowing away mosques are labelled wahhabi, that poor and highly affable Imam of Ahlehadith\deobandi mosque is labelled wahhabi, anajmi is labelled as wahhabi and practically all who oppose this shirk is given a single label of "wahhabi". Ofcourse there are extremists in all sects but I never came across a "wahhabi" who is an extremist here in India. I never heard of anyone intending to do suicide bombing , and all these venom which the media and shia\barelvi squirt all the time against "wahhabi" is simply misleading and most times patently ludicrous.

Actually this constant labelling invoked a great deal of curiosity in me which caused me to read most of the works of Sk Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab like Kitab Tawhid, Kashful Shubahat etc and I was amazed how such a foresighted and revolutionary reformer bought about a visible social change and paved the way for puritanical Islam as practiced by prophet pbuh and his companions and I actually saw this happening practically much to the disillusionment of the heretics. Frankly speaking I found that atleast in India anyone who is labelled a "Wahhabi" and is a descent educated person then he is ought to be highly affable and excellent prophetic qualities Alhamdulillah. I have never seen a "abusive" , "killer" , "liar" Wahhabi . But I have practically seen a " Honest" , "helpful", "respect giving", "tolerant" ,"lovable" wahhabi!

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:00 pm

Yes. I understand that. As soon as you say pray five times and day and follow the prophet (saw) ignorants will label you as a Wahhabi. They are not interested in what Abdul Wahhab actually did. And the Saudis are to blame for this. I blame the Saudis for about 95% of the problems that the Muslims are facing today. Either because of their actions or because of their inaction. Have you ever heard them declare that killing of innocents is haram in Islam? They have actually aligned with the Americans to squeeze the Iranians and other muslim nations around the globe. They were the ones who invited the Americans to attack Iraq in the first place. Wahhabi is now synonymous with the Saudi leadership and they are far more evil than the bohra leadership.

You have seen the Americans declare sanctions on nations for many reasons. Why can't the Saudis do the same? Declare sanctions on Pakistan unless they beef up on security and protect the innocent. Declare sanctions against Syria till they stop bombing their own people, etc etc.

badrijanab

Unread post by badrijanab » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:08 pm

freebhora wrote:The Wahabi Movement essentially condemned all changes and innovations to Islam
Mohammad s.a.w.w., the religious leader is appointed by Allah, so sunnat or the rule of religious leader of Islam is that he has to be appointed by Allah.

Those who are Abde 1-2-3 they consider them as their religious leader. Though there is not a single tradition in Siha-Sitta about Mohammad s.a.w.w. appointing 1-2-3 as religious leader of Islam religion. Religion is of Allah and not of the people that they get right to appoint its head.

Hence the first innovation in Islam = considering 1-2-3 as religious leader.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Tasbeeh of badrijanab.

1,2,3..1,2,3..1,2,3..etc,etc,etc..etc,etc,etc..1,2,3..1,2,3

Repeat 5 million times and the hidden Imam will make jannat wajib on you.

freebhora

Unread post by freebhora » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Bro najmi,

For the past 2-3 years , I am extensively reading about these things , and I found that the saudi was not a single monolithic state but there were two powers the orthodox clergy who lobbies for pure Islam and the saud kingship who grabed this oppurtunity to come to power with the Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab Rah. But as you see as Allah blessed them with black gold in the 20th century they started deviating , This is what the prophet pbuh always feared for the believers. And now even some of saudi clerics have been banished and some are made puppets by the regime. However their foundation was strong enough atleast they are free from Shirk and hence Allah can forgive them for their shortcomings. Moreover what saudi shoud do or not do is not up for us to decide , I see saudi as not a silent spectator but a silent player who does not brag about all the time like how Iran and co does all the time. AND I DONT SEE any reason for saudi to interfere in any other country except for preventing Shirk and Bidah and stopping the use of Islamic names to spread shirk and biddah.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:09 pm

I DONT SEE any reason for saudi to interfere in any other country except for preventing Shirk and Bidah
And how do you propose they do that? By joining the Progressive Dawoodi Bohra forum or by killing the people who commit shirk and bidah?

Did you not read my statement about Saudi inviting the Americans to attack Iraq after Iraq invaded Kuwait? Does that classify as "not interfering in any other country except for preventing shirk and bidah"? And their support of sanctions on Iran?

You seem to be smoking the same thing that the abdes are smoking.

freebhora

Unread post by freebhora » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:12 pm

badri bhai replace 1-2-3 by 1-2-3-4 ,By your logic even Ali a.s was not appointed by Allah.
And Yes I mysef agree that 1-2-3-4.... , none were appointed by Allah nor his messenger pbuh . It is fundamental belief for all people of Quran and Sunnah. They were the khalifa and its the shaan of the final prophet and the will of Allah that no one succeeds him as no one can match him ever after till the yawmul qiyamah. The 1-4 were only leaders by consensus as prophet had explicitly commanded us to appoint a leader among ourselves even while travelling in groups of 3. And no the 1-4 also did not have any power over the completed Islam. They just facilitated the transmission of this deen to all , Umar RA being the most successful of all 1-4.

freebhora

Unread post by freebhora » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:25 pm

Bro anajmi
Well I always never supported saudi royals as is evident from my replies but I do see that some of the salafi clerics who themselves are opposed to the foreign policy of helping america are correct. And there are clear verses of Quran and hadith to not ally with the Mushrikeen ,Christians and Jews. Hence I hope a day will come when the saudi leadership changes its foreign policy and establishes a just leadership reinvigorate the same sacrifices and reformist works as done Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab , Ibn Tayemmia and purge the world of shirk and BIDDAH using reason, dialouge and dawah. Alhamdulillah I have found only people of Quran and Sunnah are doing that work and all allegations of killing etc are completely rejected by them.

salaar

Unread post by salaar » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:20 am

hey freebohra and anajmi you guys talk very well with each other and share similar views i suggest why dont you exchange your emails and let us all live here in peace

freebhora

Unread post by freebhora » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:26 am

rather read and participate

badrijanab

Unread post by badrijanab » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:39 am

freebhora wrote: The 1-4 were only leaders by consensus as prophet had explicitly commanded us to appoint a leader among ourselves even while travelling in groups of 3.
1. Leave Islamic books, prove from your own Sihah-Sitta that Prophet Mohammad s.a.w.w. commanded people to elect the next Islamic religious leader by themselves?

2. Should Prophet s.a.w.w. has commanded people to elect their religious leader then why 1st nominated/appointed 2nd to be his successor and not left the matter of his succession to people?!!!

3. Likewise when 2nd passed instead of leaving the matter of succession to people he appointed Shura!

Sunnat: Rasoolallah s.a.w.w. was religious leader of his time and was appointed by the Allah. Hence, Sunnat for someone being the religious leader is he has to be appointed by Allah. Where else your 1-2-3 are SELF-APPOINTED and not God-appointed.
And no the 1-4 also did not have any power over the completed Islam. They just facilitated the transmission of this deen to all , Umar RA being the most successful of all 1-4.
Per Bukhari and Muslim, during 1-2-3 caliphate trio never lead the prayers like Prophet Mohammad s.a.w.w. use to lead. When Ameer-al-Mumineen Mola Ali a.s. came to caliphate an attendee (namazi) commented that today he remember the days Mohammad s.a.w.w.. Mola Ali a.s. lead the prayer same like Prophet Mohammad s.a.w.w. lead.

Above tradition proves 1-2-3 were failed and incapable self-appointed religious leader as they even cannot lead the Salat the Islamic way. All those who are follow 1-2-3 (i.e. abde 1-2-3) they whole their life have never correctly offered a single Salat - because their leaders 1-2-3 are not in compliance with the way Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.w. use to offer salat.

Dawoodi Bohras follow Ameer-al-mumineen and Mohammed s.a.w.w. so only their Salat is the way Prophet Mohammad s.a.w.w. use to offer salat. Alhamdolillah.

BTW: Takiya qalam of Umar was: Agar Ali a.s. na hote to Umar halaaq ho jata!

onlyprivate

Unread post by onlyprivate » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:57 am

Badrijanab. U r just telling old fairytale stories which were feeded to all bohra 24*7 days constantly. I m sure u urself do not know any translation from Quran. Pls. Read Quran translation to know real Islam.
Wat 1-4 or others did is up to them n history of Islam.
Please please throw this bohra lollipop n try to learn Quran first.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:07 pm

BJ
Dawoodi Bohras follow Ameer-al-mumineen and Mohammed s.a.w.w. so only their Salat is the way Prophet Mohammad s.a.w.w. use to offer salat. Alhamdolillah.
Can you describe Salat step by step using authentic Ahadith.

Tell me
How many times prophet and Ali prayed salat regularly. 3 or 5?

Bohra spring

Unread post by Bohra spring » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:13 am

Interesting explanation to what us Salafi

http://youtu.be/GeN_hCqddhs

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:08 am

Bohra spring wrote:Interesting explanation to what us Salafi

http://youtu.be/GeN_hCqddhs
Wow
Why it took so many years to find what real salafism and Wahhabism is.
It is simple
Go back to Quran and Sunnah
Problem is innovators do not want to do that
So they are out to malign those who insist that we should reform and revert to Teachings of Quran and Prophet's way
But they
Kill the messenger to drown out the message.