DB Population

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
DisillusionedDB

DB Population

Unread post by DisillusionedDB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:24 am

I got this (snip attached) from the website http://www.mumineens.com . Does this mean that there are only 600,000 bohras world-wide ? Does it mean that the figure of a 1 -1.2 million is just hype and inflated ? Suppose the figure of a 1-1.2 million is true then it means almost 0.5 million bohras don't have ITS cards.
Before anyone pounces on me and claims that the figure on the website could be a misrepresentation, please be aware that I have got this exact same figure from a Kothari guy.
Attachments
DB population.JPG

Truth-Prevails

Re: DB Population

Unread post by Truth-Prevails » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:33 am

I was once talking to a guy who works at the ITS office near Badri Mahal about 1.5 year ago. He proudly said that they had been able to issue new cards to all ejamaat members in just 6 months. All 7 Lakh of them.

I then asked him how many are regular and how many just don't log in or do anything. He said the regular were about 2.5 Lakhs.

I could not resist so I kind of probed on how the passes for vaaz and salaam etc were decided. He first started that they have an elaborate algorithm that determines who has not had opportunities etc. (i.e. and equal opportunity system). When I challenged him that I see the same old faces who get passes and who brag that they got passes over and over again and some people run from pillar to post to no avail. He then confided that it is up to the Amil and some bhaisabs in Saify Mahal who gets flagged as a VIP and then they get passes all the time, and also they give better passes as you become more regular and that they also have a blacklist of people who are close to the Mazoon saheb and the earlier Mukasir saheb (referring to Syedi Saleh bhaisab Safiyuddin)

Go figure.

kimanumanu

Unread post by kimanumanu » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:44 am

In short, it is a "system" and you are either part of it or not :D

DisillusionedDB

Unread post by DisillusionedDB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:19 am

Well, i got the figure of 600,000 about 2-2.5 years back .. anyway, whether it is 6 lakhs or 7 lakhs, the question is where are the other 5 lakhs ?

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:47 am

DisillusionedDB wrote:.....the question is where are the other 5 lakhs ?
they are all here on this forum, either as members or coming here to read.

mumin4mumin

Unread post by mumin4mumin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:40 pm

We at mumineens.com are considering re-opening the same or similar survey as before, and any comments or suggestions are welcome from all points of view - especially those feeling their views are not reflected in the survey findings, or any other relevant issues. Thank you.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:03 pm

I remember that during the 100th Birthday of 52nd Dai, Anjuman-e-shiateali had given a full page ad in Times of India wherein they had claimed that the Bohra population worldwide is 1 million.

So what would be the population during 51st Dai's era and before that considering the fact that even the 1 million figure is disputed ??

Critical_Thinker

Unread post by Critical_Thinker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Al Zulfiqar wrote:
DisillusionedDB wrote:.....the question is where are the other 5 lakhs ?
they are all here on this forum, either as members or coming here to read.
If only this was true, but we all know it is a fantasy. Nevermind 500,000 I doubt if even 500 people come here.
If lakhs of people were reading this forum then we would have vastly more registered members and active posters.
The forum itself would probably need a major upgrade to handle all the traffic.
The reality is that we are a small band of insignificant people, with an insignificant level of influence on things.
We are merely helping ourselves, not anybody else.
We should be happy with that and keep our feet on the ground, instead of letting our ego get the better of us.

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:05 am

I really doubt critical thinker is a progressive member, he seems to be playing a game of presenting itself as progressive member to discredit the forum. He / she seems so stuck up on proving this forum as insignificant, in spite of logical points presented to her/him/it.

Critical_thinker ! nice try !

alam

Unread post by alam » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:42 am

Here is a another clip of a approximation of DB POPULATION from an FGM article, which 1/2 million. Although it looks like the author is saying 1/2 million in india.?
FGM is widely prevalent among a Muslim sect called the Daudi Bohras, which is an Ismaili Shia sect, numbering approximately half a million and concentrated in the western states of Maharastra and Gujarat.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/notes/sijo-k-j ... 1643829952

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 pm

if there are approx 1/2 million bohras in india where their majority lives, then there should be atleast another 1/4 million max in the rest of the world. the major pockets outside india are karachi, dubai, kuwait and the rest of the middle-east which combined could be around 50-60,000 at the most, followed by east africa around 20,000, UK, singapore, malaysia, bangladesh and sri lanka around 7-8000, europe, canada and usa combined around 10-15,000.

but these figures dont seem to add up. all i get outside india are only 100,000+. it seems most likely that bohra numbers, even at the most optimistic, cannot be more than 6 lakhs. no wonder the rascals of saifee mahal do not wish to give out the real figures!

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:01 am

Al Zulfiqar wrote:if there are approx 1/2 million bohras in india where their majority lives, then there should be atleast another 1/4 million max in the rest of the world. the major pockets outside india are karachi, dubai, kuwait and the rest of the middle-east which combined could be around 50-60,000 at the most, followed by east africa around 20,000, UK, singapore, malaysia, bangladesh and sri lanka around 7-8000, europe, canada and usa combined around 10-15,000.

but these figures dont seem to add up. all i get outside india are only 100,000+. it seems most likely that bohra numbers, even at the most optimistic, cannot be more than 6 lakhs. no wonder the rascals of saifee mahal do not wish to give out the real figures!

skq camp had the copy of the ITS database when they sent out mailouts they must know the numbers

it sounds like we are not 1 million after all .....which is a good sign that revenue wise they are not that big 1 million is less than a good sized city ...which means a city mayor has more responsibility

DisillusionedDB

Unread post by DisillusionedDB » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:10 am

Pesonally I feel that the Kothar is inflating the figure to show strength in the numbers. Most probably, there are not more than 700,000 - 800,000 bohras with about 600,000 - 650,000 registered.