OH MY GOD

Lighten up a little and talk about movies, music, books and recipes and more... this forum provides the flip side to the intense and serious discussion taking place in other forums. No topic is off-limit here so long as it is within the accepted norms of decency and decorum.
salaar

OH MY GOD

Unread post by salaar » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Few months back i was advised by my brother to watch the hindi movie 'Oh my God' it was a very good movie which portrayed the way people follow rituals instead of the God, today i was watching the TV and on one of the channel they were playing it, i again saw it almost the whole movie and enjoyed it much more then i did it for the first time, how true people in general and if we talk about our community in particular we have turned ourselves from GOD LOVING PEOPLE to GOD FEARING PEOPLE, we implemented the dress code and now willingly stay away from masjid on this pretext, we give so much to the undeserving kothar on different names that our hearts turn cold when we see the real deserving people, this everyday thaal gathering has made us so dependent that we cannot think of staying away from it, in one of the scene he says ARAY YE PHOOLO KI CHAADAR CHARHANAY KI BAJAE KISI GHAREEB KO KAPRAY PEHNA DIYE HOTAY, at that point suddenly my mind went back when people were putting ghilaaf over ghilaaf in rozatut Tahera, it literally turned into a mountain, this najwa this salam, all this seems so artificial, we have forgotten ALLAH and we are running after different rituals to protect ourselves and our family and wealth from any harm, I recommend everyone must see it, iam sure this movie will touch the strings of your heart that plays the notes of your belief. :idea:

ghulam muhammed

Re: OH MY GOD

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:14 pm

This is one of the very good movies that Bollywood has made and I think there is a sequel also which is due for release in a few months... OMG - 2.

DisillusionedDB

Unread post by DisillusionedDB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:32 am

This is an adaptation from a Gujarati play 'Kanji viruddh Kanji'. There is also an English film called 'The Man who sued God' but the Hindi film is not an exact remake of the English version.
I have already seen the movie 3 times over the years and have always loved watching it. It clearly shows how organised religion is just a money-making machine and is the polar opposite of what actual religion should be.

faalse_ka_faasla

Unread post by faalse_ka_faasla » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:48 am

A couple of days back I was watching Singham Returns with two of my friends (die hard muffaddali abdes). During one scene where the police goes to catch the BABA, one of them said all BABAs are dhongi and gave example of Asharam bapu, Baba Ramdev and a few others.
And in my mind I was taking a few names as well SMS, QJ and gang.

fustrate_Bohra

Unread post by fustrate_Bohra » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:37 am

In the last scene of OMG the head of all pandits says "yeah jaenge kidhar laut k hamare pass he ayenge" is very true.

onlyprivate

Unread post by onlyprivate » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:49 am

Yes i am fully agree. this movie is very very good. completely exposing dhongi babas, peer etc. showing true picture of their business. love to know that OMG-2 is coming. waitingggggggggggggg

topiwala

Unread post by topiwala » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:59 am

The film was actually an attempt to discredit the Molas and hudood e ikraam . I clearly smell some wahhabi behind this plot. see how the scenes where our beliefs were mocked exactly how wahhabis mock them:

1 ) the chaddar\gilaf over qaboor was mocked at in court
2) system of giving ziyafat, salams khums which is the haqq of daee was also represented in negative light (like how mithun chakrovarty was depicted as a leader and his folowers willing to pay any price for his darshan\belongings)
3)Paresh raval ridiculing the rituals\blind faith in idols is exactly how wahhabis ridicule us.
4)Paresh rawal dies and how people make an Idol of him,: This is an ultimate attack on our belief system of keeping photos of our Daee for barkat and fulfilling our duas \mannat at the roza by the grace of the daee .

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:35 am

yes ! I agree !! with topiwala

The guy who made the movie is a hindu wahabi, and finances of the movie came from Saudia.

did SMS issue the farman, of not seeing OMG ! Daawat na dushmano ae movie banavi che ... mara pyara abde aa movies naa dekhjo, behkee jaaso, aa logo kaala jaadu kare che,

Paresh raawal is a wahabi too !

baba ramdev is genuine, he is an abde and supports the true leader !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dekh-tere-sansaar-ki-haalat-kya-ha-gayi-bhagwan
Kitna-bewakoof-ho-gaya-insaan

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:56 am

:mrgreen: Abde IQ drops by half with every passing dai. The irony in topiwala's post is completely lost on him.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:55 pm

I don't know whether to laugh at topiwala's post or to sympathise with his dead brain ! :oops:

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:38 pm

humanbeing wrote:Paresh raawal is a wahabi too !

baba ramdev is genuine, he is an abde and supports the true leader !
And Narendra Modi is a pucca abde............ He hates 'Ola Musalmano' like them !

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:08 am

hey topiwala?
which school did u go?
would like to give an award for best performing student.

topiwala

Unread post by topiwala » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:36 am

well this may appear to the wahhabis as ironical , I know it. but the fact is that the movie ridiculed all religions rituals and just to silence any opposition aksha kumar was added as krishna as if he issupreme controller, this was done just to silence any opposition to the movie. They knew well that the movie is a contempt against religious rituals by introducing an imaginary krishna/akshay kumar they tried to cover all this up , as if showing that krishna himself opposes these rituals .

Straight out from a wahhabi dream.

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:50 am

I am enjoying thought flow of topiwala and other short tempered abdes who have added some spice in the discussions turning them in quarrels. Same is the case in real life. I was discussing some anti-kothar issues with abdes and they lost their cool. They started behaving as if I woke them up from their peaceful sleep. They felt inconvenienced and disgruntled from their make believe fantasy world. They felt offended as if I dragged down their idols. But amidst this anger, I sensed frustration, helplessness and denial. Few complained that, they are helpless and tied down due to societal pressure, kothar intimidation tactics, ease and convenience of jaman and other touring facilities as well as mikaats.

To calm themselves and deny the truth, these abdes conjure up fancy stories and justification, which is either introduced by kothar or their own creativity due to fantasy world abdes live in.

MUSTAPH

Unread post by MUSTAPH » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:04 am

topiwala

I ask this to you in particular and all those abdes and amtes, can you please think for a moment and guide us all to what is the differance between you all blind followers and the pherons during the time of Moosa.

well, this question is not to the followers of SMS only but SKQ or even SMB or STS.

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:11 am

MUSTAPH wrote:topiwala

I ask this to you in particular and all those abdes and amtes, can you please think for a moment and guide us all to what is the differance between you all blind followers and the pherons during the time of Moosa. .

"""""Pheron was not a wwahaabi ! he was a true leader, he allowed rituals and practices to respect the true leader, he claimed himself owner of the souls of his followers. he roamed around in gold chariots and built palatial monuments, look at his shaaanaaat, it still stands in the testimony of his greatness.""""

topiwala

Unread post by topiwala » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:43 am

A wahhabi is the one who always chants shirk\bidah and thinks as if he is following pure Islam. dONT COMPARE With irrelavent stories.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:25 pm

"""""Pheron was not a wwahaabi ! he was a true leader, he allowed rituals and practices to respect the true leader, he claimed himself owner of the souls of his followers. he roamed around in gold chariots and built palatial monuments, look at his shaaanaaat, it still stands in the testimony of his greatness.""""
Oh you mean to say that our beloved Dai SMS is following the great tradition of Pheron, a great leader roams in Silver A/C chariots and is carried on PALKHI by his slaves just like Pheron was carried on the Palkhi by his slaves. SMS is owner of souls by taking repeated Misaqs
Oh Su Nirali Shaab chey Mara Muffadal Moula ni....Pheron tau ena samney Kai naathi..

MUSTAPH

Unread post by MUSTAPH » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:49 am

topiwala

do not beat around the bush. SBM has compared SMS to Pheron which even I agree with. is there an amte or abde on this forum available who can show us all bhatka huva logo what is the diferrance between them and the qaum of pheron.

khokawala

Unread post by khokawala » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:50 am

i forsee the omg part 2 should be inspired by bohra clergy fiasco esp I see this succession controvery to have a great comedy story line as to how a stroke ridden body was used to stage a farce succession ceremony. I never imagined Muffy and co would stoop to such low level , not even sparing his own father's body in his final movements!

The medical reports are clear that nothing could have been spoken by the daee.

Saleemullah

Unread post by Saleemullah » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:00 am

topiwala wrote:The film was actually an attempt to discredit the Molas and hudood e ikraam . I clearly smell some wahhabi behind this plot. see how the scenes where our beliefs were mocked exactly how wahhabis mock them:

1 ) the chaddar\gilaf over qaboor was mocked at in court
2) system of giving ziyafat, salams khums which is the haqq of daee was also represented in negative light (like how mithun chakrovarty was depicted as a leader and his folowers willing to pay any price for his darshan\belongings)
3)Paresh raval ridiculing the rituals\blind faith in idols is exactly how wahhabis ridicule us.
4)Paresh rawal dies and how people make an Idol of him,: This is an ultimate attack on our belief system of keeping photos of our Daee for barkat and fulfilling our duas \mannat at the roza by the grace of the daee .
I dont feel Laughing at you but i feel mercy on you.
what are you saying topiwala. Do you know anything about islam and the principals of sharia the devine law.
I know that you dont know anthing about the teachings of islam and the prophet of islam Muhammed (SAW) and ahlul bayt.
And you are saying that this movie is projecting and supporting wahabism. So you are totally wrong.
I am a staunch shia and still i feel that this movie was really nice and the people like you only don't feel it to be nice.
because its only highlighting the wrong practices which is going on in every religion. You have found this movie against maula because your maula is wrong and not the movie. Maula Ali (A.S) Never lead a lavish life style he was always wearing simple clothes and having dry bread even-though he was the Caliph
and look at your maula who is saying ziyafat is his haq. and on the other hand your maula says that he is Nai-be-ameerul mumeneen. in which sense this claim is true of your so called maula. As we all know that he is acting totally against the laws of Ameerul mumeneen.Can you even quote a single instance of Maula Alis life when he has gone for ziyafat and had lavish food like your maula or he has demanded salaams or he has conferred title of mullas or sheikhs in exchange of money. if you don't know anything about islam please dont say anything nonsense about islam and its believes. And leave the Daiship your maula is even not fit to be a good muslim.Leave even muslim he is not fit be a good human being also.

salaar

Unread post by salaar » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:09 am

please topiwala dont provide reasons for people to ridicule you, live your life with an open mind, a critic khushnood zareef writes in his book about ghalibs poetry, he said people translated and explained ghalibs poems with so many different angles that even ghalib would be unaware of it, similarly you have disected the broader message of this movie on our community in such a way that even the producer of this movie would be unaware of it, anyway you provided a reason to elongate this thread.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:35 pm

India’s godman syndrome

Godmen do extraordinarily well in our country than in most others, and that is where the puzzle lies. Is our society more vulnerable? Or, does this show up so blatantly among us because of the way we practise democracy and secularism?

In a family of godmen, a clean baba stands out like a white sheep. That, however, does not stop people from stooping to charlatans in robes and matted hair. And the reason is simple: these godmen happily stomp on grounds where scientists fear to tread.

What facts can help figure out the beginning of the beginning, or how something came out of nothing? Alternatively, which experiment can explain the end of the end, or what it is to be dead? It’s a mug’s game to press scientists to find solutions to these questions, because they are actually riddles. In one case, the answer lies before a fact was born and, in the other, after a fact has gone.

Riddles, however, are the staple of godmen, mystics and saints. It is not enough to know why wood floats, stones sink or how planes fly. Science can tell us about these and much more, but that does not stop us from speculating on the wonder of life or the darkness of death. When all is said and done, no matter the quantum leaps in knowledge, those niggling, nettlesome issues will still remain.

When science has to concede

It is not just the illiterate and the uncouth who ask questions which have no real answers. Some of the best scientists too have been assailed by similar doubts, especially after their lab hours are over. In short, this line of inquisitiveness is a universal failing — a quest that has no real solution. It is in this empty space that the godman strikes, with nothing more than a prayer and a song.

As these eternal questions have, and will, torment us forever, there is no getting out of the fear and the awe of the supernatural. Consequently, whenever there is despair, or when the future is uncertain, or when terror stalks the soul, the godman gets a near open invitation, all expenses paid. Scientific advance concedes empty knowledge spaces, but as faith abhors a vacuum it readily serves up answers to the unanswerables. At this level there is just no contest — science has to concede.

No doubt, there were great ascetics and kind and generous faith leaders who, at tremendous personal cost, often gave succour to the masses in times of great distress. From Jesus, to Muhammad, to Vivekananda and even Dayananda Saraswati, we have had such heroes who shored up our spirits and gave us strength. The truth, however, is that when these great souls depart, they leave behind followers who are human — all too human. As they lack the charisma of their gurus, they reduce the substance of their teachings to miracles and magic.

To blame Indians, or Hindus, alone for being prone to mystics and godmen would be unfair and unjust. What remains true is that godmen do extraordinarily well in our country than in most others we know of, and that is where the puzzle lies. Is our society more vulnerable? Or, is Hinduism particularly susceptible? Or, does this show up so blatantly among us because of the way we practise democracy and secularism?

Or, is it a combination of the above?

India and its divisions

True, it is difficult to find another place where people are as divided as we are in India. Just imagine living with thousands of castes where each order has a different prescription of what is a “good life” and how to lead it! Worse, those at the top lord it over the rest in the name of an imagined myth. This, in turn, creates rivalries because nobody likes to be told that their rightful place is way down, perhaps even as outcastes. At each level then, origin tales and fables multiply contesting actual rankings with imagined and aspirational ones.

Second, notice the unique features of Hinduism. This is one major religion that does not need a communion — there is nothing that two Hindus can do which one Hindu cannot! As a result, instead of a priest, or a Mullah, leading a community prayer in a church or a mosque or a synagogue, we have designer gurus. Many of them are ready to be domesticated should their patrons be rich enough. In fact, Manu warned us against “wandering ascetics”, preferring instead the house-trained ones. Leave aside the lesser texts, gurus of this sort abound in both the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.

It is hardly surprising then that Hindu godmen should behave like magicians and their followers like clients. Within the walls of any “dera”, hermitage, or guru’s lair, devotees are hugely outnumbered by pay-as-you-go clients. None of these Hindu godmen has ever led a religious war, for those who visit them are not believers, but miracle-seekers. They have not come to die for a cause, but to get something out of it.

Undeniably, Hindu scriptures soften the mind and make it more prone to magic. The Vedas, for example, go on and on about how the gods must be pleased with libations and lavish praise, to win wars, beget sons, and acquire immeasurable wealth. While other religions frighten devotees with religious wrath, Hindu texts instead take the route of pleasing their gods who are always open to persuasion. Neither Shiva nor Kali is nearly as vengeful as Athena, Aphrodite or Yahweh.

Playing the godman card

But most important of all, it is the way democracy and secularism is practised in India. People everywhere are prone to mystics, but what makes our godmen seem so powerful is that our politicians use them as baits to catch votes. It never really quite works that way because the godmen’s followers are thinking cures, bank balance and success, not democracy. From Bhindranwale to Ramdev to Nithyananda to Asaram and now Rampal, not a single baba ever succeeded in converting their clients into vote banks.

Still, politicians persist in this tack and cover their backs by sloganeering democracy and secularism. Winning elections by playing the godman card seems perfectly acceptable to them because they see their voters as dumb, driven, religious cattle. Sadly for the babas, though, they just have a few good years at the top. Very soon, the godman has to be dispensed with: it is either because of the genie out of the bottle syndrome, or because a new power centre has emerged.

It eventually, therefore, distils down to politics. Babas catering to gullible folks would hardly be a social nuisance if politicians did not meddle in this magician-client relationship. Indira Gandhi’s choice of Bhindranwale is the best illustration of how a petty soothsayer can become a monster and cause enormous public damage. If Bhindranwale had been left alone in his “dera” he would probably be living today and so would thousands of innocent Sikhs who were caught in the crossfire.

Many of us do not quite appreciate why Nehru refused to pull in his horns when he opposed President Rajendra Prasad’s decision to inaugurate the Somnath temple after its post-Independence makeover. To read his objection as that of an atheist against a believer would be grossly misleading; in fact, it was a warning not to involve the state too intimately with religion. Yet, his daughter, Indira, rarely kicked off an election campaign without a temple visit. Nowhere does the book of democracy say that worship is out, it would be ridiculous to make such an assertion. At the same time to have the official airwaves swinging to chants and hymns undermines the sanctity of secularism.

Hindus may or may not be overly religious, but that should not excuse politicians when they include babas in their power calculations. Most societies are religious and yet, if they are democracies, it is important that they keep faith in its place. The French did this job remarkably well when in 1905 they banned the wearing of religious symbols, notably the cross, by government functionaries. This angered the Pope and he railed against this “ungodly” policy from St. Peter’s Square. The French President of the day stood firm and eventually the Catholic Church retreated. Today, there are vibrant churches in France, but there is vibrant democracy too. As Hegel famously said, by separating church from state we are actually doing both a favour. A time comes in every democracy’s life to call a spade a spade and not draw and redraw lines in the sand.

Secularism truly means keeping religion out of politics. Likewise, democracy truly means keeping politics out of religion. Distort either one and you muck up the other.

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/in ... elatedNews

dawedaar

Unread post by dawedaar » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:26 am

Another nice take on religion in the film PK... more comedy stuff.. a fun to watch movie!

topiwala

Unread post by topiwala » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:59 am

NO, This trend has to be opposed , I know that reformists would be happy to fit the movie to our faith , but the fact is that this film pk was made to ridicule religion. Amir khan is also a wahhabi , I read that he is descendant of abdul kalam azad who was a very famous wahhabi belonging to ahli hadees wahhabi firqo. Amir khan has shown his true colors by covertly conveying such message through his movie. I hope indians oppose and boycot this film , I am glad that Indians are already boycotting this film on twitter. Again like in OMG some additional scene\actors were introduced just to prevent any opposition to the movie.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:00 pm

I am glad that Indians are already boycotting this film on twitter
Really only made 93 crores in 3 days of screening in India.

dawedaar

Unread post by dawedaar » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:44 pm

Whats more ridiculous than wasting millions of liters of milk on a useless stone idol whereas millions of people go hungry or die of malnutrition. Religion nowadays only divides people and creates terrorism and wars. Majority of muslims have a feeling of dislike for people of other faith, especially Hindus. Is this what religious people are suppose to do that is hate people of other faith??? What is the purpose of sacrificing millions of animals on Eid ul adha... Why can't the money used to purchase animals for sacrifice instead be used for other noble purposes.. Religion creates nothing but bigots.
topiwala wrote:NO, This trend has to be opposed , I know that reformists would be happy to fit the movie to our faith , but the fact is that this film pk was made to ridicule religion. Amir khan is also a wahhabi , I read that he is descendant of abdul kalam azad who was a very famous wahhabi belonging to ahli hadees wahhabi firqo. Amir khan has shown his true colors by covertly conveying such message through his movie. I hope indians oppose and boycot this film , I am glad that Indians are already boycotting this film on twitter. Again like in OMG some additional scene\actors were introduced just to prevent any opposition to the movie.

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:07 am

topiwala wrote:NO, This trend has to be opposed , I know that reformists would be happy to fit the movie to our faith , but the fact is that this film pk was made to ridicule religion. Amir khan is also a wahhabi , I read that he is descendant of abdul kalam azad who was a very famous wahhabi belonging to ahli hadees wahhabi firqo. Amir khan has shown his true colors by covertly conveying such message through his movie. I hope indians oppose and boycot this film , I am glad that Indians are already boycotting this film on twitter. Again like in OMG some additional scene\actors were introduced just to prevent any opposition to the movie.
bhai topi
first get ur facts correct atleast
make ur topi straight.
film is not made by amir khan.
he just acted in it.
the makers of the film hired him to act, gave money for his service of acting. finish.
u can also hire anybody and pay his remuneration and make a film on MS

topiwala

Unread post by topiwala » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:55 am

qutub_mamajiwala wrote:
bhai topi
first get ur facts correct atleast
make ur topi straight.
film is not made by amir khan.
he just acted in it.
the makers of the film hired him to act, gave money for his service of acting. finish.
u can also hire anybody and pay his remuneration and make a film on MS

No amir personally works in those films and takes care of minute details , he is the only actor in Bollywood where his films are ONLY his and he has himself said many times that he does not work for money ,he already has lots, all his films convey a message which he wants to convey.

topiwala

Unread post by topiwala » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:59 am

I also found that Abdul kalam has written many books to promote his Wahhabi beliefs and do you think his descendants would deviate from his beliefs?
In recent news amir khan gifted speeches of Abdul kalam to some famous person and it was all in news.