Dawoodi Bohras in the media - 2015

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
Ozdundee

Re: Dawoodi Bohras in the media - 2015

Unread post by Ozdundee » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:46 am

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... mutilation

A Complete page created by the guardian to discuss Dawoodi Bohra FGM case

http://www.theguardian.com/society/fema ... mutilation

Al-Noor

Unread post by Al-Noor » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:07 am

These guys are so fearless that they stand in mina and speak lies even during haj....I mean who can really think that muffy is real person? malik is speaking lies even in haj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Lpj7uUqtA

dawedaar

Unread post by dawedaar » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:41 pm

Not a single print media or online news have covered SMS Houston visit!

seeker110

Unread post by seeker110 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:02 am

In US the Kardashians will get more coverage than a two bit thug from India.

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:51 pm

dawedaar wrote:Not a single print media or online news have covered SMS Houston visit!
I am sure the abde khidmat Guzars will be trying their best to book appointments for photo opportunity with Mayors, Senetors ,Governors, POTUS , ....they will try and try

Politicians and journalists will Google to find what Bohras are and they will see a mixed bag.

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:04 am

http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/opini ... 258511.ece

Influencial Hindu media goes on the attack , now Modi will listen, Kothar in juggernaut , but shocking comments from a Rangoon Walla at the bottom.

In India, what is shocking is that while other Muslim sects — both Sunni and Shia — do not engage in this horrendous practice known as khatna (circumcision), the supposedly liberal, educated and financially better off Dawoodi Bohra community still torture their little daughters by subjecting them to it. This is a Shia subsect and trading community from Gujarat which has branched out all over India and overseas.

Bohras continue FGM

While the affluent take their daughters (aged 7-8 years) to five-star private hospitals where local anaesthesia is given before the torment is inflicted, the common folk get it done by “experienced” practitioners. But wait, there has been some progress: earlier while some black paste was applied after the mutilation, apparently these days the child is made to sit in a tub of hot water after scarring her for life!

Female genital mutilation practices range from clipping or removal of the clitoris to mutilating and removing other female genitalia. It is done to curb the woman’s sexual appetite and keep her on the straight and narrow path of morality. This would be hilarious, if it weren’t so tragic.

An Indian daily last week quoted a Deoband spokesman saying categorically that khatna is not practised in India. He needs to check his facts: Dawoodi Bohras continue the practice even today. This community — my community — loves to torture its women. Here the iddat (complete seclusion of the widow after her husband’s death) extends to over four months compared to only 40 days for other Muslims. And during this period, her torture chamber has no mirror, television, music system…

It is high time the Modi government followed suit. If a uniform civil code is required, then this scarring of the second gender for life in the Bohra community should be brought under the scanner as well.

Hopefully the Prime Minister’s bonhomie with the Bohra community top guns, as well as some community leaders in Gujarat (Surat houses the plush Jamia Milia, a state-of-the-art educational institute where Bohra priests of the future are trained), will not prevent the Government from introducing the harshest punishment for this torture of the girl child.

The Dawoodi Bohra community prides itself on saying how peace-loving it is and does not encourage or breed any terrorist activity.

dawedaar

Unread post by dawedaar » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:29 pm

Chicago abdes involved in accident (most likely returning from Houston) - 1 person dead, 8 others including children injured

http://www.wjbc.com/2015/10/29/1-person ... -57-crash/

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1 ... eft-8-hurt

bohrabhai

Unread post by bohrabhai » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:08 am

http://www.ndtv.com/opinion/i-was-circu ... -7-1238068
I Was Circumcised When I Was a Girl of 7
One day when I was around seven, my grandmother took me to the Bohra mohalla (at Bhendi Bazaar in Mumbai) with a promise of buying me some chocolate and ice-cream.

Gladly I went. Grandmother took me to an old, decrepit looking building in the narrow gullies. We went to the first floor and entered a home; she led me to an inside room; there was a woman there who drew the curtains and asked me to lie down. I was petrified by then, and was clutching onto my grandmother's hand. This woman who made me lie down, pulled down my pants and held my legs while grandma held onto my hands. I was just so scared, I didn't know what was happening. The lady said it would just take a minute and there will be just a little pain. I just clutched my grandmother's hand and closed my eyes. There was a nick, and then she pulled my pants up and told me to go.

I went home and hugged my mother and cried. My mom told me it was alright, I would be fine. She explained to me that it would hurt when I would pee but the pain would soon subside. This horrific incident has stayed with me all my life.

I was too small to understand what happened to me and nobody explained it to me either.

I was hurt, scared and scarred by this one incident in my otherwise very happy childhood.

It was only as an adult that I realized what had happened to me on that day was Female Genital Mutilation (FGM, also known as female circumcision and 'Khatna').

This was more than four decades ago. The practice continues till date in my community.

I belong to the Dawoodi Bohra community which is a small, prosperous, highly-visible Shi'a Muslim sect based in Western India. The Bohras are an exclusivist, conservative, male-dominated society; however, interestingly, the women are seemingly proud of the measure of independence they have achieved and often describe their sect as egalitarian in its treatment of men and women in education, marriage and basic freedoms. Yet, they observe several conservative, male-dominated traditions, one of them being the practice of female circumcision.

Mumbai is a city of approximately 22 million people, 17 percent of whom are Muslims. Asghar Ali Engineer in his book The Bohras attributes the origins of this sect with the arrival of Shia Ismaili missionaries in early 11th century AD, to the port of Cambay from Egypt via Yemen. These missionaries found converts among Indian traders, largely in Gujarat, who came to be known as Bohras. There are now approximately one million adherents in India and across parts of Eastern Africa, the Middle East, Europe and North America.

According to scholars, the sect today is largely comprised of traders, business owners and professionals. The Bohra world headquarters is in Mumbai where the Syedna, the religious head of this community resides.

The Bohra practice of FGM is very much alive and kicking today, and is ordained and supported by the current Syedna's decrees. The Syednas' support and sanction of the practice is enough to want all the Bohra women to observe it and perpetuate it unquestioningly and blindly.

Many Bohra women argue that this practice is part of the egalitarian nature of their religion, as both men and women are circumcised.

For men, the circumcision is done for health and hygiene, while for women, it is meant to curb sexual desire and tame them. The benefits of male circumcision apparently outweigh the risks - according to federal guidelines from US health officials released in December 2014, "There is scientific evidence that supports recommending the procedure". The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that medically-performed male circumcision could help decrease the risk of contracting HIV and several other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) as well as other health problems.

The circumcision of men is a celebration in the community, while for the girl child it is a dreaded, secretive event done in the confines of the home without any proper instruments or medical supervision. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), "FGM has no health benefits, and it harms girls and women in many ways. It involves removing and damaging healthy and normal female genital tissue, and interferes with the natural functions of girls' and women's bodies. Immediate complications can include severe pain, shock, haemorrhage (bleeding), tetanus or sepsis (bacterial infection), urine retention, open sores in the genital region and injury to nearby genital tissue."

Jameela, an elderly matron, states matter of factly that, "Boys are circumcised at birth, and girls undergo the procedure at age seven, it's part of our religion." However, Zainub, a practicing doctor, acknowledges that "For males, the circumcision is for health reasons and that for women the procedure is to curb sexual desire and prevent wives from straying from their husbands." She also narrates a case of FGM gone horribly wrong because of the primitive methods causing excessive bleeding and a subsequent hospitalization of the girl child.

Young Bohra women continue to support the practice even though they may be ambiguous about the so-called benefits of the practice. Some elderly women call it "haram ni boti" which can lead young girls astray and say the process is needed to ensure they obey the wishes and commands of their husbands and don't lust for other men. FGM seems to be motivated by beliefs about what is considered proper sexual behaviour, linking procedures to premarital virginity and marital fidelity.

Rashida, a childhood friend of mine, described the procedure as "Just a small snip of flesh done without anesthesia" and admitted to getting her daughter's circumcision done by a doctor in Dubai recently without really questioning the need for it.

Intellectually, some Bohra women accept that the rationale given for female circumcision of preserving the sanctity of marriage does not stand up to scrutiny, but they nonetheless accept it as part of the requirements of their faith that they share equally with men.

In December 2012, the UN General Assembly adopted a resolution on the elimination of female genital mutilation. The resolution was passed unanimously and India was part of this unanimous decision. Several countries in the world have banned the practice of FGM. Nigeria is the latest country which recently passed a law banning FGM, taking the total of countries banning this practice to 23 in Africa alone.

Research shows that if practicing communities themselves decide to abandon FGM, the practice can be eliminated very rapidly. However, talking to women in my community shows this practice is perpetuated and even supported by some women among the Bohras.

Bohra women are among the most educated Muslims in India, they practice all kinds of professions from medicine, teaching to being businesswomen, artists, and research scholars, lawyers, journalists, making one wonder that why this educated section of women continue with this practice.

A large section of the women in the Bohra community genuinely believe the practice is religiously ordained and is good for them. Some blindly follow it as they are ordained to do it by the clergy. It is one of the many diktats which get followed without any questioning glare.

Another reason perhaps could lie in the complete indoctrination within the community to accept any and every decree of His Holiness, the Syedna, their religious head. The threat and fear of social boycott or excommunication for any form of protest or disobedience is so deep and so real that not many have the stomach of be booted out of the confines of the close-knit community. Any stepping out of line immediately attracts ostracism from near and dear ones, disallows you from participating in social and religious gatherings and meetings, prevents the marriage of your kids into the community, and prohibits your dead body from being buried in the community burial ground. This fear has prevented women from raising their voices against any oppressive practice.

A few years ago, Taslim (surname withheld) had started an online signature campaign on change.org to stop FGM among Bohras. The fear of the powerful clergy was so palpable that she refused to identify herself or come forward, even though her mind and heart were strong in their opposition to the practice. However, there are many like Taslim in the community who have read about the harmful effects of FGM on their little girls and refuse to subject their daughters to this barbaric practice. Taslim's parents had taken a stand and had not got her circumcised. Taslim in turn did not allow her daughter to be circumcised, thus effectively breaking the chain of perpetuating the practice. There are many intelligent, questioning and enlightened Bohra men and women who have ensured this practice does not perpetuate. I have three sisters and we each have a daughter; we have not circumcised them.

The ritual of female circumcision does not have any religious sanction as such. If it did, why is it not practised uniformly across the Islamic world? The practice of FGM predates Islam, it is more cultural than religious. It is most widely practiced in Africa in all communities and religions (Muslims, Christians) and the practice of it among Bohras has something to do with their historical roots in Africa. In India, which has a large Muslim population, it is only the Bohras who practice FGM.

The way forward for us as Bohra women perhaps could be to break the vice-like grip of the secrecy around this practice. We need to talk about this practice and start questioning why is it done. We need to start voicing our experiences, our thoughts and our responses to this practice. Even if it is among family and friends. The secrecy and shame surrounding this practice should go. The practice is wholly voluntary. We need to openly acknowledge that something like this happens in our homes, in our families and in our lives, and that if we have to break the perpetuation cycle for the next generation, we have to start doing it first in our own homes. We owe it to ourselves and to our daughters.

All forms of female genital cutting must be seen to constitute a sexual mutilation and violation of bodily integrity. It amounts to a violation of human rights and child rights as it involves removing healthy, sensitive tissue from a non-consenting person, a girl child in this case. What happened to me years ago was an act of coercive violence without my consent, and I have chosen to speak out against it today and I sincerely hope others do so too.

PS: A trial has started in the Supreme Court of Australia in a case where where circumcision was found to be done on 2 girls belonging to a Dawoodi Bohra family in 2012. The girls mother, a senior clergy member Sheikh Shabbir Vaziri and a 68 year old nurse who performed the genital cutting on the girls, all these belonging to the Bohra community, are facing the trial. If convicted, the three accused could face seven years in jail as per the Australian law.

This case has begun to cause ripples in the Bohra community in India as well. Fear of the law and fear of arrest and a jail term can perhaps act as the best deterrent to abolish this practice.

Masooma Ranalvi is a Dawoodi Bohra. She works as a publisher and is actively involved in working on womens issues. She is committed to spreading awareness on the issue of FGM (Female Genital Mutilation) in her community.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. The facts and opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:24 pm

dawedaar wrote:Chicago abdes involved in accident (most likely returning from Houston) - 1 person dead, 8 others including children injured

http://www.wjbc.com/2015/10/29/1-person ... -57-crash/

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1 ... eft-8-hurt
watsup msg

Forwarded as Received :

Shk Murtuzabhai Rajkotwala Houston ma Ashara Mubaraka attend kari ne apna ghar Chicago aavi rahya hata ane Illinois ma car accident ma guzri gaya

dawedaar

Unread post by dawedaar » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Abdes have contributed to a fund raiser that was raised for the gentleman who saved the lives of the rest of Rajkotwala's family. Here's the link -> https://www.gofundme.com/wz7c5cvw

Eyewitness (the above person who saw the car crash into the ditch and helped the occupants) account and aftermath of the accident. Feel sad for the passing away of that guy and for his family. May Allah help the famiiy members in this time of grief... Its good that Chicago abdes have started raising funds for both Shk Murtaza (Who was known to be a humble and down to earth person) and the gentleman who helped!
ghulam muhammed wrote: watsup msg

Forwarded as Received :

Shk Murtuzabhai Rajkotwala Houston ma Ashara Mubaraka attend kari ne apna ghar Chicago aavi rahya hata ane Illinois ma car accident ma guzri gaya

Mkenya

Unread post by Mkenya » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:18 pm

seeker110 wrote:In US the Kardashians will get more coverage than a two bit thug from India.
If you know about the Kardashians then you must know they 'have a lot less' coverage. Their tini-mini swimsuits leave very little to imagination. Just Google 'Kardashians' and enlighten yourself.

dawedaar

Unread post by dawedaar » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:41 pm

seeker110

Unread post by seeker110 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:10 pm

dawedaar wrote:Story of Rosy Nakhooda -> http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/m ... ppointment
Tareef karoun kiya aus ki

Jiss ney tujhay banaya

Great person, I am sure every town and city has wonderful bhora person. Tragedy is the clergy has nothing to do with them.

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:55 am

An Australian court has found two women guilty of carrying out female genital mutilation (FGM) on two young girls, in the country's first such conviction.
The incidents took place in separate incidents in 2009 and 2012 in Wollongong, New South Wales when the girls were each about seven years old.
A man, Shabbir Mohammedbhai Vaziri, was found guilty of covering up the acts.
FGM is when a girl's genitals are partly or wholly removed for non-medical reasons.
It usually carried out for a number of cultural, religious and social reasons, and is associated with ideals of femininity and modesty in some societies.
The women, who cannot been named, belong to a Muslim sect. One is the girls' mother, the other a 72-year-old former nurse.
The court heard they had cut the genitals of the two young girls in ceremonies known as "khatna".

Vaziri, a leader of the sect, was accused of ordering members to tell police they did not practice FGM.
The three were released ahead of sentencing in February. They could face up to seven years in jail.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34795203

Vaziri, 59, was also trial for being an accessory after the fact to the procedure and was accused of instructing members to tell police that they did not practise female genital mutilation.

The eight and a half week trial heard that the small Muslim Shia sect, Dawoodi Bohra, came to police attention after they received a tip-off that the group practised female genital mutilation.

The Dawoodi Bohra are a Shia Islamic sect with about a million followers worldwide who mostly live in western India and Pakistan.

The major concerns are flight and the other concern is the pressure that they put on other people in the community to keep FGM quiet and to continue the status quo and to fight this until everything goes away,” Sgt Stek said.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 7606039067

Sgt Stek also warned that other members of the Dawoodi Bohra Muslim community "fully supported" female genital mutilation and that the offenders' actions would be celebrated.

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:24 am

In a landmark verdict for Australia and for the Dawoodi Bohra Muslim sect, three members of the community have been held guilty for performing khatna or female genital mutilation on two young sisters in Sydney.

http://scroll.in/article/768810/three-d ... inor-girls

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:32 am

A MOTHER and a retired midwife from a small secretive Muslim sect have become the first people in Australia to be found guilty of female genital mutilation by a jury.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... a174baea04

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:16 pm

And more media coverage around the world regarding FGM verdict. The photos will give the world insight into who Bohras are ...Saya, topi, dadhi, Rida , orthodoxy . unfortunately outsiders will have little time distinguishing progressives, conservatives, Alawi or Qutbi.....

By now Obviously Australian media, India, British , Canadian , USA, the international media like BBC , CNN, Yahoo. ...it will keep rolling

My sources indicate the weekend media will be even bigger coverage ...now that the trial is over and once sentencing is complete the blackout may be lifted. The media coverage is the summary, there is so much behind the scenes , the impact of this event is unbelievable how this will shape the future is unimaginable it is a watershed moment .

http://or-politics.com/uncategorized/au ... on/145798/

http://financialspots.com/2015/11/12/au ... utilation/

http://nysepost.com/australia-convicts- ... tion-40389

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/3008101 ... ung-girls/

dawedaar

Unread post by dawedaar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:14 pm

Jamea curriculum should now include training on how to evade wire tapping and not lie or 'advise to lie' blatantly on phone!

saminaben

Unread post by saminaben » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:31 pm

This is long long overdue. I am reminded of the agony and helplessness of us women, and the blinded rationalization a and justification given to us, that so many of us believed and perpetuated or supported for other little girls our age.

Hopefully this will encourage more women to take the lenses off and take a peek at the the naked sky and see and feel without being told what to look for and what to believe.

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:14 am

Australia's first female genital mutilation trial: how a bright young girl convinced a jury
Three people have been convicted of FGM in a landmark trial in Australia. It was a complex case in which medical evidence was inconclusive, which meant the outcome turning on phone tapping – and also the testimony of two young girls.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... -australia

US media running up

http://tvnewsroom.org/newslines/world/t ... rls-16685/

Pakistan media ...wow what a surprise

http://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/world/cl ... utilation/

South African media
http://www.news24.com/World/News/austra ... n-20151112

Ozdundee

Unread post by Ozdundee » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:14 am

Zimbabwe media on FGM in Bohra
http://www.chronicle.co.zw/australia-se ... utilation/

When Muffy arrives for hunting in Zimbabwe he and his cohorts will be recognized as hunters and abusers

Nigeria media

http://www.leadership.ng/news/474074/au ... mutilation

The news keeps going and going shabash

fustrate_Bohra

Unread post by fustrate_Bohra » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:43 am

The news keeps going and going shabash[/quote]

But unfortunately it wont reach india leading newspapers n channels considering their strong political influence.

asad

Unread post by asad » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:44 am

fustrate_Bohra wrote:The news keeps going and going shabash
But unfortunately it wont reach india leading newspapers n channels considering their strong political influence.[/quote]

I have emailed the article to Times of India and Mid day. You can also mail to other publications.

dawedaar

Unread post by dawedaar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Salaam-e-Jameel,

Indo Gulf Times will be publishing a special edition on the upcoming Urs Mubarak of Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (RA). This Inshaallah like last year, will be presented to Mufaddal Maula (TUS)

Should anyone wish to advertise in the said edition please note below pricing:

Inside full page: $1152

Half page: $652

Quarter Page $352

For contact details of Ahmar Bubere – Indo Gulf Times; please contact me on 972 742 9640

Attached please find Dawat –e- Hadiyah raza letters.

Shukran,

Amte Syedna TUS
Name redacted
Attachments
Indo-Gulf+2.png
Indo-Gulf+1.png

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:18 pm

dawedaar

Unread post by dawedaar » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:04 pm

GM, please post description as it's hardly legible. Also, many here cant understand hindi!
ghulam muhammed wrote:Image

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:46 am

Nothing surprising by the shady activities of the jamaat. these kothari thugs collect a ransom on development initiatives. there was a time amils would justify collection of wajebaat for community development. now when one questions, where does wajebaat go, they bark back saying it is maula's money one cannot question where it is spent, while commanding hoob contributions for various development projects, which by the way is also made from people's money and owned up by kothar maafia and charged at commercial rates, these so called non-profit centres become yet another revenue source for kothari INC.

I was forced to pay up for Kuwait MSB, I bluntly refused and demanded accountability. which was obviously laughed off. they will build the school completely on public money and own up the insitution as maula-nu-ehsaan and karam and charge fees in full and more than other school in the town. I was fooled royally for saifee hospital project. I paid hansomely with pride in my abde days ! .. those were my initial earning days and in spite of tight finances, I paid up anticipating beshumaar barakaat and sawaab. But What I got in return was a palm face and a smirk when I expected kind consideration of a humble discount ( did not even demand free treatment). It was a sad and awakening moment.

I feel pity, very pity for those brainwashed abde idiots who would put their children in these fancy but hollow and deceptive institution. they are damaging the very foundation years of their child. kothar has mastered fancy presentation. just like thier dargaah resorts, they will build fancy infrastructure to flash these abdes.

seeker110

Unread post by seeker110 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Did anybody read the article by Dr Rangwala in the media.

alam

Unread post by alam » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:25 pm

seeker110 wrote:Did anybody read the article by Dr Rangwala in the media.
Please post - or provide summary

seeker110

Unread post by seeker110 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:39 pm

You can read it on Dr Sofia Rangwala's Facebook page. Its about Amir Khan's recent tiff.

" I look Indian, not muslim or hindu or any other ....