Intresting.....what others think of bohras....

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
aftabm

Intresting.....what others think of bohras....

Unread post by aftabm » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:46 pm

I have seen this on net and thought of sharing this with you....

Bohra sect "sent members to death in Iraq"
Do read the comments too.....

porus

Re: Intresting.....what others think of bohras....

Unread post by porus » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:26 pm

Advise from a Sunni to a Sunni girl who has a marriage proposal from a Bohra.

http://www.omeriqbal.com/a/88

porus

Unread post by porus » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:30 pm

While the previous post reflected Bohra beliefs fairly accurately (except that the Dai's appointment followed concealment, not death of the Imam), this link paints a totally false portrait of the Bohras. A bigot's view of Bohras at:

http://www.geocities.com/defender_of_th ... Bohra.html

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:54 am

The first point in the bigot's view is not entirely false. There is an element of belief amongst the bohras (based upon the translation of Daim-ul-Islam) that the current quran is corrupted. I have explained this in the thread - The Pillars of Islam.

The 4th point in the bigot's view is also not entirely false. The bohras absolutely believe that they are the only ones that will be going to heaven. And if only muslims are going to heaven, then bohras consider only themselves to be muslims. All others by deduction, become non-muslims.

porus

Unread post by porus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:12 am

One bigot thinks much like another!

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:58 am

Are you referring to me or Qadi Numan, Qummi and your Dai?

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:07 am

Here is an excerpt from another link that you posted about the taxes levied by your Dai.

(5) Haqqun nafs: It literally means payment for the salvation of the soul. It has nothing to do with Islamic teachings. There is no mention of it in the Quran. This was invented by the da'is. No dead among the Bohras can be buried without paying this tax. On paying this tax the priest gives ruku chitthi (note to Allah) for the salvation and for entry into the paradise. This note is kept on the chest of the deceased and buried. A Bohra, the priesthood insists, cannot enterparadise without this note from the da'I addressed to God, even if he had been highly virtuous and pious. Payment to the high priest is a must. The extent of payment generally depends on the financial status of the deceased and real hard bargaining is done by the priesthood in the matter.

Now that statement could mean one of two things. One is that those who are non-bohras do not need ruku chitthi to enter paradise and the other is that only a bohra with a ruku chitthi can enter paradise.

I thought I was supposed to be ignorant about the Bohra religion.

Even then how can I argue with one who has the same response for everything?

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:42 am

Forgot to mention that apparently, Asgarali Engineer is a bigot too.

porus

Unread post by porus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:18 am

An old tired joke among Bohras that I have been hearing since childhood goes like this:

After being admitted to paradise, a pious Muslim is granted the request to tour the paradise. But he is warned to be very quiet when passing one particular room. When asked for a reason, he is told that the room is for Bohras, who think they are the only ones in the Paradise.

The point being, Bohras do not believe in this silly idea emanating from their priests, many of whom, on my personal authority, do not believe in it themselves. Bohras enact their own version of 'Emperor's New Clothes' out of fear.

Asgarali Engineer's salvo is not directed against Bohras but the top echelons of its priesthood. I do not thing Dr Engineer would agree that Bohjras believe this.

Hoiwever, a bigot needs flimsy evidence to support his bigotry.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:29 pm

porus,

I am getting a little tired of your tasbeeh, but I guess you have nothing else to say.

Some of my best Bohra friends believe that Bohras are the only one going to heaven. They go every morning to Raudat Tahera for Sajda and will kiss the Syedna car's tires if they can't get to his feet. Either that or we come to the bigot's second point which is

2) Lying and Concealment of Belief

This is an essential part of the bohra faith. It is an everyday practise, the bohras believe that if one of them tells the truth about their religion, such as the false quran, he has committed a great sin and will be expelled from their community. Bohras also believe they gain reward from decieving Muslims, and making the character of muslims look bad.

Either they are lying to you or they are lying to me.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:45 pm

This is an essential part of the bohra faith. It is an everyday practise, the bohras believe that if one of them tells the truth about their religion, such as the false quran, he has committed a great sin and will be expelled from their community. Bohras also believe they gain reward from decieving Muslims, and making the character of muslims look bad.
Don't all shias believe in Taqiya and redicule other Muslims?

porus

Unread post by porus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:52 pm

Your best Bohra friends, like you, are fanatics.

You cannot judge a religion or sect by popular superstitions that its adherents hold.

And while you are scouring your copy of
Pillars of Islam for ammunition to ridicule the Imams, why don't you identify this particular belief from them?

As far as taqiyya is concerned, people may have different understanding of it. A bigot bent on persecuting the Shia cannot be allowed to have his version to stand except by his fellow bigots.

One case of taqiyya was observed by Sikhs in Delhi, when many Sikhs caught in the middle of anti-Sikh riots following the murder of Indira Gandhi. Their friends advised Sikhas to cut their hair and ditch their turbans to save themselves from a murderous mob. Another example of taquiyya was when during anti-Muslim riots in Gujarat, some Bohras said they were not Muslims but Bohras.

Those needing further information on taqiyya should refer to the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqiyya

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:13 pm

porus,

That would make most Bohras fanatics and bigots which I am not surprised of. Bohra kafirs and munafiqs like you are just a handful. The others atleast believe in the true Islam but are too weak to fight.
And while you are scouring your copy of
Pillars of Islam for ammunition to ridicule the Imams
And you should thank yourself for that. You should've followed "taqiyya", now the Imams are going to be really pissed at you.

By the way, I do believe in hiding your religion if your life is threatened. But even otherwise, bohras consider themselves to be bohras and not muslims. They don't have to be under threat to reveal this truth.

ponga bhori

Unread post by ponga bhori » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:14 pm

"example of taquiyya was when during anti-Muslim riots in Gujarat, some Bohras said they were not Muslims but Bohras."

Wrong, on all days the bohri identifies himself as not a Muslim but Bohra. By this he wants (to my understanding) say he is not like most other "Sunni Muslims" who are most visual.

porus

Unread post by porus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Originally posted by anajmi:
porus,

Bohra kafirs and munafiqs like you are just a handful.
Correct. My attitude to Bohraism is the same as my attitude to Islam in general. Both are steeped in superstition and fantasy. They are interesting cults. And that is true of all other 'great religions'.

porus

Unread post by porus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:15 pm

Originally posted by anajmi:
porus,

...Bohras .... at least believe in the true Islam but are too weak to fight.

.... bohras consider themselves to be bohras and not muslims.
Daaimul Islam teaching anajmi in the art of contradiction.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:56 pm

porus,

Nice art of cutting and pasting sections out of context to create a contradiction.

This is what I said
The others atleast believe in the true Islam but are too weak to fight.
which is a part of this paragraph.
That would make most Bohras fanatics and bigots which I am not surprised of. Bohra kafirs and munafiqs like you are just a handful. The others atleast believe in the true Islam but are too weak to fight.
Most bohras and then the others. What else has Daimul Islam taught you?

porus

Unread post by porus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:12 pm

That would make most Bohras fanatics and bigots which I am not surprised of. Bohra kafirs and munafiqs like you are just a handful. The others atleast believe in the true Islam but are too weak to fight
OK, let me figure this out.

Let A = all Bohras
Let M = most Bohras (as in the quote)
Let K = Kafirs and Munafiqs

Assumption 1.
Others = A-K, that is all Bohras except Kafirs and Munafiqs like me.

Assumption 2.

Others = A-M-K, that is those who are neither bigots and fanatics nor kafirs and munafiqs

Assumption 3

Others = All Muslims -A, that is all non Bohras.

I made assumption 2, seeing that Munafiqs are not true Muslims and fanatics would not fight. So that leaves other Bohras who are too weak to fight.

Looks like you made Assumption 3. Only Non-Bohras are true Muslims, but what are that too weak to fight against?

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:59 pm

I think you've confused people over here. Try to restate your assumptions using the following variables.

AB - All Bohras
KB - Kafir Bohras
MB - Munfiq Bohras
OB - Other Bohras
FB - Fanatic Bohras
BB - Bigot Bohras
MOB - Most Bohras
SOB - Some of the Bohras.
RB - Rest of the Bohras.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:53 pm

the heading of this topic seems to assume that others are thinking of bohras.....!

i asked this question to some people on the street and they immediately confessed that they were not thinking of bohras, why should they? they were quite startled and scared at this question...in fact most didnt know who were bohras!!! are they the terrorists, some criminal gang etc? was their response.

so the basic premise of yr query is in itself wrong.

pro_pig

Unread post by pro_pig » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:43 am

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ asked this question to some people on the street and they immediately confessed that they were not thinking of bohras, why should they? they were quite startled and scared at this question...in fact most didnt know who were bohras!!! are they the terrorists, some criminal gang etc? was their response.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
must be looking at you they said are they the terrorists, some criminal gang etc? was their response. that your ulgy face is yours how your family stand beside u.

marabu

Unread post by marabu » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:05 am

Correct. My attitude to Bohraism is the same as my attitude to Islam in general. Both are steeped in superstition and fantasy. They are interesting cults. And that is true of all other 'great religions

br porus,

as a lurker on this board i just got a chance to read this thread and have to say that you have hit the the nail on head.i and perhaps many others read your post many times. one has to use comparative religion to asses ones beliefs that may be related to social or religious mores. do admire anajmi as he has found his path but it does not mean that his is only path to salvation.if it is than i cannot reconcile the faith and final place of Gandhi,Martin Luther king or Mandela.