Why do Bohras pray 3 times a day???

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.

Why do Bohras pray 3 times a day???

Unread post by Guest » Wed Sep 18, 2002 4:07 pm

Why do Bohras pray 3 times a day??? How did this come about? Is it not written in the Quran to pray 5 times a day? Has this come about from Seyedna?

Re: Why do Bohras pray 3 times a day???

Unread post by Guest » Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:04 am

You can pray 5 salat in 3 or 5 times each day.

Unread post by Guest » Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:39 am

hi i think the tradition came about during the reign of arangzeb whereby bohras were been prosecuted so the seyedna at the time decided to combine the mid afternoon prayer with zohr and the isha prayer with magrib so that people would only have to leave the house 3 times a day for prayers but we still pray all of the parayers its jsut two of them are combined.

Unread post by Guest » Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:31 pm

<br>Advice from Maulana Ali (RA) (From Sister Jinx)<p>The successful and blessed are those who :-<br> <br>who faithfully follows the traditions of the Holy Prophet and <p>who keeps himself away from innovation in religion.<p>Prophet SAW Prayed 5 Salat in 5 times. Most of the time. He combined prayers for reason and on soem exception without reason.<p>Wasalaam<p><br>

Unread post by Guest » Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:12 am

> Prophet SAW Prayed 5 Salat in 5 times. Most of the time. He combined prayers for reason and on soem exception without reason.<p>You can't actually hold to this argument, as shia who accept the 3 salat per day also believe in hadith that support that view. <p>It is not a question of innovation at all, it is a question of which storyteller you choose to believe is more accurate.

Unread post by Guest » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:47 am

<br>Br. Khairen<p>Please tell me iof HZ Ali RA prayed 5 Salah in thee time slots all the time?<p>There is a letter (Fatwa) from Imaam Khumaini asking Iranian Shia to pray five times.<p>Wasalaam<p>

Unread post by Guest » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:50 am

<br>Br. Kheiren wrote:-"You can't actually hold to this argument, as shia who accept the 3 salat per day also believe in hadith that support that view."<p>Slight correction <p>Shas accept 5 Salah. They just prefer to cmplete them in three time slots.<p> <p>

Unread post by Guest » Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:04 am

> Please tell me iof HZ Ali RA prayed 5 Salah in thee time slots all the time?<p>Muslim First,<p>that's my point. Shia that do the three prayer times per day thing believe Amir ulMumineen did pray three times a day. Also, the hadith involving the Prophet's ascension, when he spoke with Allah and Musa AS, also ends with a final of three prayers, not five, depending on who is giving the account. So the people that practice this are simply following a legitimate hadith and not "innovating", as you say.<p>Similarly, though I don't know if this is the official dawat line, I do know that at least some bohras believe that the Prophet declared "Ashhaduana moulana aliyyan waliullah" in his salaat. I'm not convinced that this is true, but same point as above - how does one prove which of these stories is more legitimate than any of the others, beyond following one's own conscience and understanding of history?<p>salaam

Unread post by Guest » Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:36 am

<br>Br.Khairan<p>Please do not denay that Shias do not pray 5 prayers. They pray Fajr, Zohr-Asr (Combined) Magrib-Isha (Combined).<p>Hz Ali RA was wery Conscience in following Quran and Sunnah of the Rasool SAW.<p>Your comment"-"I do know that at least some bohras believe that the Prophet declared "Ashhaduana moulana aliyyan waliullah" in his salaat."<p>I would not even comment and dignify it.<p>Wasalaam<p>For my information do Bohra install something called "Ghadi" in new house?<p>What is it. and where this traditon begin?<p>Do they have to enter new house at some precise time?<p>Do they believe in auspicious time?<p>Honest answers will be appriciated.<p>Wasalaam<p> <p>

Unread post by Guest » Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:54 pm

> Please do not denay that Shias do not pray 5 prayers. They pray Fajr, Zohr-Asr (Combined) Magrib-Isha (Combined).<p>Where have I ever denied this? I'm saying that they pray at three TIMES, not that they only read three prayers. I figured that this was an obvious enough fact that it was not necessary to go describe in detail.

Unread post by Guest » Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:13 pm

A pedantic point.<p>Prayers are not combined. They are separate and follow one another with only a very short duration between them.<p>If Sunnis and Shia did everything the same except wear different colored caps, fundamentalists will object that they, shia or sunni if they happen not to be one of them, are defying God!!

Unread post by Guest » Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:52 pm

Porus: -<br>"If Sunnis and Shia did everything the same except wear different colored caps, fundamentalists will object that they, shia or sunni if they happen not to be one of them, are defying God!!"<p>That's nice one. I totally agree with you. Its the prayer that is more important not what, how and where you are praying <br>

Unread post by Guest » Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:08 am

khuzema,<p>Now you are on dangerous ground. Praying is just as important as how, when, where and what you are praying.<p>Quran says numerous times, make zakat and iqamas salaat. i.e. make a perfect prayer. What makes a prayer perfect? when you take care about when, how, where and what you pray.

Unread post by Guest » Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:56 pm

MUSLIM FIRSTS/anamji<p>So, according to you if one says the correct namaz which is yours - of course, would make every depravity, racism, intolerence, abuse that is comitted in name of "your religion" to be OKAY?<p>This my friend is a DUMB RELIGION!<p>PRAYERS means diddley squat (nada) if accompanied with teachings that promotes hate & intolerance!<br>

Unread post by Guest » Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:08 pm

dear hafeez,<br>also care to mention the intolerances of the other religions which u have been beautifuly evading for a long now.

Unread post by Guest » Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:12 pm

the killing of 3000+ afghanis, the gujrat genocide, the japanese nuclear holocaust, the vietnam war, the slave culture...plz hafeez plz....I m still waiting for a sensible reply from u...plz...<br>so much to the tolerance and benevolence of non islamic religions...

Unread post by Guest » Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:54 am

Beavis,<p>Ismailis have this intolerable habit of butting in with shit when least wanted and then they talk about tolerance.<p>It was a long time ago that you stopped making any sense. Perhaps you need to go look at the Aga Khani interpretation of the quran to clear your mind (too bad if it does not exist, looks like he likes to give his followers in the ass, asses that they are!!!) This my friend is a very smart donkey and you my friend are a DUMB DONKEY following the smart donkey.<p>Or you could splash some camel uring on your face!!

Unread post by Guest » Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:19 am

Steve,<p>Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, try studying some history, .....perhaps the origins of slavery, or may I suggest... facts behind WW II ?<p>I look forward to the discussion once you have read the facts. You may even post a new topic.....(2nd request).

Unread post by Guest » Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:56 am

American Bohra<br>Hope this helps. <p>Question: Why is it that sometimes Salat al-Asr (after-noon prayer) is recited during the early part of noon or midday after performing the Salat al-Zuhr (noon prayer)even though the time of the late afternoon has not yet started? Also, why is it that sometimes we recite Salat al-Zuhr right at the end of its time even though the time of noon or midday has finished?<p><br>Answer: First off, it must be noted that the Salat al-Zuhr and al-'Asr and also al Maghrib and al-'Ishaa have their own specific (Mukhtass) and common time(Mushtarik) (to perform them).The meaning of<br>specific time is that in that time period, with the exception of that Salat, no other Salat can be performed.<p>For example, the time it takes to perform a four Rak'at Salat from the beginning of the midday or noon is reserved for Salat al-Zuhr and the time it takes to perform a four Rak'at Salaat at the end of the day is the time reserved for Salat al-'Asr and the<br>time that is between these two times is the common time of Salat al-Zuhr and Salat Al-'Asr. Also, it must be noted that each of these Salaat have their own recommended time (to perform them) such that if they are performed in this specific time, the reward of the Salaat would be much greater. For example, the recommended time for Salat al-<br>Zuhr is from the beginning of the time of midday or noon until that time that the shadow of a stick (or something like this) is equal to the length of that stick (or thing).It is at this time that the recommended time for Salat al-Zuhr has come to an end and the time for Salat al-'Asr has started.<p>Thus, naming these two prayers with the names of al-Zuhr and al-'Asr refers to the the recommended time to perform these two prayers (noon/midday for al-Zuhr and afternoon for al-'Asr) and it is not related<br>to the common time that they share between one another.<p>It is not a problem for the person to recite Salat al-Asr (after Salat al-Zuhr) in the beginning of the noon or midday since he has recited his Salaat in its (permitted) time and when he makes the intention that he is reciting Salat al-'Asr - he means that he is<br>reciting that Salat that from the point of view of its specfic time,(should be) read at the late afternoon (Asr).However, it is better that he delay this Salat(al-'Asr) until its recommended time sets in - meaning<br>the time of late afternoon.<p>The same goes for the person who recites Salat al-Zuhr (before Salat al-'Asr) at the end of the day (late afternoon) -since he has recited his Salaat in its common time and when he makes the intention that he is reciting Salat al-Zuhr - he means that he is<br>reciting that Salat that from the point of view of its specfic time, (should have been read) at midday (Zuhr).<p>The same rule applies for Salat al-Maghrib and al-'Ishaa from the view point of their specific and common and recommended times of recitation.

huzaif

Unread post by huzaif » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:16 am

jinx,

I am glad that there is something that you agree with me. That is praying namaaz 3 times a day is valid.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:07 pm

Sister Jinx

AS

I am in Boston, MA

Today Zohr is at 12:29 PM

One stick time is at 3:31 PM

I pray my Zohr at say 12:35 PM

Do I have to wait till 3:31 to pray my Asr?

Wasalaam

porus

Unread post by porus » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:14 pm

What does it matter how many times per day or when one prays? Silly discussion. If you want to be disciplined, just choose the times and pray consistently at those times.

I think twice a day is enough. Once when rising in the morning and then again when retiring to bed at night. But if you feel you want to pray every half hour, that is ok too.

Follow your thing. No need to be a slave to tradition or anyone's interpretation of scripture.

jinx

Unread post by jinx » Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:45 pm

Br Muslim First
I copy paste that article. I dont think praying at 5 times or 3 times is an issue though. Both are acceptabble

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:58 pm

Br. Huzaif

AS

I am still walking on my own. Alhamdo Lillah.

Can you take a stab at question I asked Sister Jinx

Wasalaam