Good news for Toronto Mumineens

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
jamanpasand

Good news for Toronto Mumineens

Unread post by jamanpasand » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:23 pm

From Toronto Jamat website

As per the recent Trustees and Advisory Board Meeting deliberations, it has been decided with raza of Janab Amilsaheb that each Sabeel paying family will be required to pay a minimum of 1 unit of $21,000 towards building Toronto's second Masjid complex

jamanpasand

Re: Good news for Toronto Mumineens

Unread post by jamanpasand » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:21 pm

Don’t hear any sympathy towards our mumineens of Toronto.
Probably this is the highest tester ever.
If successful, will have global application.
$ 21000 Cdn means 9 lacs Indian rupees !!!!!

Humsafar

Unread post by Humsafar » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:33 pm

People who can't say "no" to the amil deserve no sympathy. I can empathise with them, but sympathise, no. Besides, those who do not resist exploitation and do not stand up to their exploiters have little choice but to pay up and shut up. Our sympathy will do little to change their situation. I know, I know, it's not easy. But somebody has got to start, somewehre. Toronto bohars will have to act themselves. They can do it, we can help (with no apologies to Home Depot).

jamanpasand

Unread post by jamanpasand » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:25 pm

Read somewhere that Toronto has a strong presence of Progressives.
With the unit rate going so high, may be a little marketing with good deals can attract few new customers.

Banners like “Buy one unit and get the other freeâ€

Kaka Akela

Unread post by Kaka Akela » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:39 pm

I have a friend living in LA who told me that when Syedna came out in public after Eid they did a khusi nu jaman and had fixed a unit of $94/ per family. He said there are 100 families, so they collected about $9400/ from the gullible turkeys. they did 2 jamans from this costing $1200/ a piece, that amounts to $2400/ max. He is wondering what happened to the remaining $7000/. Nobody believes in giving any accounting to anybody. Somebody is sure getting rich in that jamaat. In texas and all other jamaats all over the USA and I am sure in Toronto as well these kinds of robberies go on and on and on. Why don't they first figure out how much it will cost to do two jamans and then divide the number by the total families and collect that amount even if it comes out an odd number other than a 52, or a 94??? why are they hung up on a high number. From the expenses it looks like a $25 unit would have been OK too. Talk about Greed!!!!!!!!!

jamanpasand

Unread post by jamanpasand » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:57 pm

Dear Kaka

Your friend is crying for just $94. For poor torontorians is $21000

Days of aeroplane travel are gone. Now they want to fly in rockets.

Alislam

Unread post by Alislam » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:48 pm

Heard from a friend in Atlanta jamaat that the compulsory unit that they are collecting is $16k and those cannot afford are given loans from the jamaat and they have to repay in instalments.

Those who dare to evade will not be given the safai ni chitti for any purpose.

In my town of Hyderabad, India, they collected huge money in the name of masjid which was built by demolishing the beautiful old one, cause it was built by the group which is now reformists.

On every occasion they collected money from gullible bohras and collected well over 5 crores.

The Amil, shk Juzer bhaisaheb is overwhelmed by the income he has generated here and have avoided his transfers by giving a big share to the concerned central authorities.

The story is similar in every bohra jamaat.

scared

Unread post by scared » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:39 am

This is actually good news. There is a level of abuse that the community will bear. Go beyond that limit and they will revolt. Hopefully the kothar is stupid enough to not know where that limit is.

Musafir

Unread post by Musafir » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:54 pm

Bohras should follow a guideline from the Ismaili Council for Canada. There is no fix share of any contribution. Only three donations and one contribution is announced in Jamat Khana every year.

The first and formost is JSF called Jamat khana services funds, there is no limit or no compulsory donation is required in that. This fund is primarily used for the sole purpose of local Jamat khana's ongoing expenses. Second donation is asked for Aga Khan University in Pakistan and other affeliated institutions, like in Kenya and Dubai. This is again no force donation. The third one is FOCUS humanitarian fund. The only contribution individual has to do is Burial Fund, which an insurance policy to meet the Burial Expenses.

All the above donations are not compulsory, you will stay and well respected in jamat even you do not contribute, since the high standard of confidentiality is maintained in all these contribution.

Besides that if a new Jamat Khana is built in any where, like in Dallas and Sugar Land Texas, jamat contributed overly but again there was no force. There are folks who even didn't spent a single penny in those jamat khanas but they are still welcome in those jamat khanas.

Any leader of the jamat like, Mukhi, Kamadia equivalent to Aamil has no right on single penny contributed. Any one can differ from the faith and practices of Ismailies but the financial aspect is very transparent. :cool:

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:02 pm

Dear Musafir
I donot think what you say is correct. I have Ismaili friends who told me that they have to contribute 12.5% or more of their income. They have same problems as Bohras and lot of Ismailis are leaving the sect to join Mainstream Islam and most of them are joining Sunni side of Islam

Musafir

Unread post by Musafir » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:06 pm

Thank you Ombharti, 12.5% is the substitute of Zakat for Ismailies. This is Imam's right to collect through the Mukhis and Kamadias of Jamat on Chandrat the Night of new moon.

In olden days the Jamat use to keep a record of who is giving the 12.5% which is called Dasond. Dasond means 10% it is from Hindi and urdi word Das. I don't know when it turned to 12.5% I guess 10% of Imama and 2.5% of Zakat.

When my sister got married in 1979 in India, the Mukhi of Palghat Jamat Khana opened a register and told my father that you are not paying regular Dasond so we can not officiate your daughter's wedding. My father approached the Ismaili council for India and diclosed his accounts and family expenses and asked, do you think, Imam want's any money from a person of middle class like after providing for a family of 18 folks? Ismaili Council considered his case and officiated my sister's wedding. At this point my father is a very primary donor of Imams projects, since his fate has been turned by his hard work.

These days, in USA, Pakistan, Canada and Africa no such record is maintained. Nobody knows who is paying that 12.5% or not. I live in a small town in Texas and we have a Jamat of only 1000 still nobody can tell that who paid and who didn't.

My reply was only for the $ 21,000 from per family of Toronto Jamat. I tried to explain that this such Barbaric thing doesn't exist in Ismaili community, it is like MQM in Pakistan. My Uncle owns a shop in Pakistan and MQM Muhajir Qaumi Moment guys threatens them if they won't pay them every month, then they have to leave this universe. My Uncle pays to them Rs.2000 a month and Rs.2000 a month to police for protection. I guess these religious thugs are learning a lot from these organizations.

May Allah keep us on right path and sure faith.

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:07 am

it is very ironic that in our jamat, no research of any kind is done before initiation of any project or plan. some flattery shiekhs and amil with usually low inteligentia initiate without considering the pros and cons, and welfare of the community. the initiation takes place after so called raza from syedna saheb. then once the raza is obtained, it is stamped on the fate of the dwellers in that area. most of the projects undertaken by jamat including masjids and jamatkahana have resulted in blunders and plunders. this piece of land which is said to have been obtained by the toronto jamat, is a warehouse, owned by some members of the jamat who were desperate since last many years to sell it to jamat, now finally they succeeded. the area is inhabitated mainly by white populace. the permission by city of mississauga will be hard to get. even if we do get the permission, there will be often misunderstanidng with the nieghbours etc.