marrying a non muslim

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.

marrying a non muslim

Unread post by Guest » Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:49 pm

I wish to marry a christian, and have my nikah prayed. Questions are<br>1) can this be done w/o her converting to islam.<br>2) The bohri hierarchy will insist on misaq and nikah. is this correct?<br>3)If I go against the bohri authrities, what will the consequences be for my parents and myself.<br>4) If a civil marriage is performed, will I also be be and outcast?<br>If this is not the right place to ask these questions, pls let me know where I could get such information.

Re: marrying a non muslim

Unread post by Guest » Tue Mar 27, 2001 6:23 pm

Dear confused,<p>1. If you are a male, this can be done without converting them to Islam. A female in Islam cannot marry a christian male. For reference, you can see Qur'an 2:221 and 5:5.<p>2. Yes, even if you are a male and getting married to a Christian lady.<p>3. You will be excommunicated from the Bohra community and "Barat" will be imposed on you. As per Misaq, you have disobeyed the Dai, you have become a non-believer and you will stand in front of God on the Day of Judgement as a Kaafir. All your belongings are unlawful to you and can be looted and distributed to the poor and the needy. Even 30 Hajjs cannot make any good to your positiion, but retaking the Misaq and following the taqlid of Dr Burhanuddin Shah can!<p>4. Yes. A civil marriage holds no importance in Bohra laws, it has to be a Nikah by an Amil.<p>This is probably one of the best places to discuss these issues because you will hardly find anyone answering your questions elsewhere.<p>Musalmaan

Unread post by Guest » Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:03 am

<br>Dear Confused:<p>Salaam<p>As explained by "Musalmaan", it is true that proper Islamic law does allow for marriage w/ a Chirstian. However that means nothing to the current bohra regime. They have exploited their own rules.<p>As for the civil marriage, depending on what country you are in, Bohra marriages are not always recognized by the state in all places so you will need to obtain a civil document from somewhere<p>Khotar will impose threats on you and will only allow a niqah if you and your partner bow down and sign a letter. Your partner will also be forced to change her name to one that is deemed fit by the khotar.<p>Even if you do it outside the khotar will do what they can to put shame on your family. This is inevitable. The choice you must make is whether you want them to control your life or not.<p>As for the letter you and your wife to be would need to sign, I am placing it below once again for your (and everyone elses) information. Please read it. It is a disgusting and demeaning document from the cult masters.<p>I do not mean to put you off/ scare you. But these are the facts which the khotar impose. You must do what you believe Allah wants you to do with a good intention, even if it means getting "ousted" from a cult. <p>Afterall marriage is one of the most important things in your life - ALHAMDULILLAH and you chould not have to have it conducted it in an ill-manner<p>Inshallah - everything will be fine.<p>Salaams <br>Aleem<p><br>posted 01-03-2001 12:11 AM ET (US) <br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>This is a letter forced to be signed. It's what the khotar insists on when corssing non-bohras in marriages.<br>If not signed and wedlock is done outside of bohradom, then sever boycott and baraat is imposed on direct and indirect family members. The countless examples of baraat and emotional tortureyou will have read about/ discussed on this website speak for themselves.<p>_________________________-<br>The 52nd Dai al-Mutlaq<br>His Holiness Dr. Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (TUS)<br>Head of Dawoodi Bohra Community<br>Badri Mahal<br>Dr. D N Road, Fort<br>Mumbai 400 001 <p>Syedna (TUS) <p>Sajadaat <p>We, the undersigned (girls full name) and (boys full name) undertake on our getting married to strictly adhere to the laws, rules, customs, traditions and culture of Dawat-e-Hadiyah and in all matters of religion, particularly matrimonial action, divorce, custody of children, maintenance and inheritance we agree to be governed by Islamic law as is interpreted by al-Dai al-Mutlaq. And further, God forbid, in the event of our divorce or separation or death of any one of us, or both, our children shall be raised as per the directions of al-Dai al-Mutlaq. <p>(girls signature) (boys signature)<p>

Unread post by Guest » Wed Mar 28, 2001 12:29 pm

Thank you both for your detailed replies. There is alot of very useful information I need to think about. My biggest fear is for my parents and family. I found the article about "misaq/ Oath of Allegiance" very informative too. Do you know if this is a the complete misaq translation? <br>