A. Yusuf Ali

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
Danish

Re: A. Yusuf Ali

Unread post by Danish » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:24 pm

Dear Alislam,
Originally posted by Alislam:
If progressives are not remaining even Bohris then a change is a distant dream.
Were prophet Muhammad and the ahlebayt Bohries, or sunnies or shias or wahabbies? If they weren't and since you follow and obey them, what makes you one for what they weren't? If they were, then bring your proof?

Besides, you have yet to answer my previous questions.

Alislam

Unread post by Alislam » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:58 pm

Br. Danish salaam

Quote:

Were prophet Muhammad and the ahlebayt Bohries, or sunnies or shias or wahabbies? If they weren't and since you follow and obey them, what makes you one for what they weren't? If they were, then bring your proof?

The were all Muslims and all the sects you named above (except wahabbies) are all muslims.
They are divided into sects based on thier different interpretaion regarding certain issues.
BUT THE FUNDAMENTAL FOR ALL THEM IS THE SAME and that is the most important point.

The is one Quran for all the muslims and Br. Anajmi have quoted a few Ayats for your reference regarding your questions of following the prophet.

regarding your second question as to who are the Ahlebait, there is no issue in the sunnis and shias in accepting Muhammed, Ali, Fatima, Hasan, and Hussain as the Ahlaibait.

You now have to answer the question i posed for you...

was salaam

Danish

Unread post by Danish » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:14 am

Salaam Alislam,
Originally posted by Alislam:
Br. Danish salaam

Quote:

The were all Muslims and all the sects you named above (except wahabbies) are all muslims.
They are divided into sects based on thier different interpretaion regarding certain issues.
BUT THE FUNDAMENTAL FOR ALL THEM IS THE SAME and that is the most important point.

The is one Quran for all the muslims and Br. Anajmi have quoted a few Ayats for your reference regarding your questions of following the prophet.

regarding your second question as to who are the Ahlebait, there is no issue in the sunnis and shias in accepting Muhammed, Ali, Fatima, Hasan, and Hussain as the Ahlaibait.

You now have to answer the question i posed for you...

was salaam
You are totally out of wack with your preconcieved ideas. Either you uphold conjecural and he-said/she-said dogmatic materials which has no basis or support for truth, such as the ahadiths written by uncrupulous individuals like Bukhari, Malik, Saleh, Dawood and what not, or are simply dodging the issues by implementing your own innovations.

By the way, Anajmi has not quoted the verses relevant to my question at all. Perhaps you need to study the Quran and re-read my questions to answer.

Oh, aren't wahabbies and bahaies your counterparts, playing a different game on the other side of the table?

Al-Quran prohibits sects/religions amongst mankind, which the Arabic Religion (sunni, shia, wahabi, etc.) has done a marvelous and painstaking job at.

Average Bohra

Unread post by Average Bohra » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:32 am

Asghar Ali Engineer,

How do you reconcile the objective of not challenging the position of a da'i with the conflicting notion of da'i or no da'i. What
matters are our fundamental beliefs, not an office.
? Do you also believe in the hidden imam ?

Regards,

-AB

Sajid Zafar

Unread post by Sajid Zafar » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:08 pm

Dear Brs. Africawala, Av. Bohra, Danish & Dr. Asghar,

Thanks for responding. I appreciated. Though I still don't have clear mind, which way should I go!!

My problem is not only limited to Bbohras. I have serious questions in mind and still in search for any logical explanation and/or clarification, like:

o Concept of imam (what the hack, he still insist to stay in Pardah rather than to come openly and guide his community and let us get rid of this corrept Kothar;
o Legendry rather idiolist portrait of ahle bait, which even they probably never thought in their lives (many completely false and fabricated stories are attributed to them like revelation of the angel gabril, open animosity with prophet's companions, if so why Hazrat Ali named his children Abubaker and Usman);
o Strongly feel that sooner or later all factions has to merge with main stream muslim (i.e. Ahle Sunat), if and when one prefer to remain as muslim.

Thanks.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:39 pm

Bohra Brothers

Could you please explain this picture or justify it Islamically?

http://media.mumineen.org/archive/photo ... bai-01.jpg

Wasalaam

Danish

Unread post by Danish » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:07 pm

Originally posted by Muslim First:
Bohra Brothers

Could you please explain this picture or justify it Islamically?

http://media.mumineen.org/archive/photo ... bai-01.jpg

Wasalaam
The Lord of the Ring with his guardian "angels".

Average Bohra

Unread post by Average Bohra » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:02 am

Brother Muslim First,

You will have a harder time to justify it Islamically if I post pictures of Taliban beheadings or Saudi Arabian stonings, or other graphic Wahabi extremisms.

Just want to ensure that we put your question in context.

- AB

Africawala

Unread post by Africawala » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:41 am

Dear brother Muslim First,

I visited the link you provided and saw that some men are straightening out the carpet for Syedna so that he does not trip. What is unIslamic about it? May be you interpret the picture differently. I am sure others see it differently too.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:10 am

Br. Africawala

AS

Your explaination is possible and it is so then my sincere apology.

Br. AB
Taliban beheadings or Saudi Arabian stonings, or other graphic Wahabi extremisms.
is equally reprehensible.

Wasalaam

Average Bohra

Unread post by Average Bohra » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:39 pm

Equally ? [ ! ]

ponga bhori

Unread post by ponga bhori » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:19 pm

Dear MF,
You are one of the few remaining from my time.

No matter what the Bhoris have a "Islamic" Exlaination to all that you say that is "Unislamic".
I for one believe that their explainations are always very good. And as I had said before had I been given most of the explainations before I would not have left them.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:44 pm

Yo Average Moron,

Go look at what your masters are doing in Fallujah and then decide what is more reprehensible. Beheadings of the guilty or bombing of the innocent.

But we already know what you are going to say. You wouldn't be an average moron otherwise!!

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:46 pm

I am sorry about my earlier post. I missed the context. Yeah bowing down in front of the dai is definitely not as bad as beheading somebody, it is worst according to the quran!!

Average Bohra

Unread post by Average Bohra » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:03 am

bowing down in front of the dai is definitely not as bad as beheading somebody, it is worst according to the quran :D
Einstein !</font>

<small>[ 11-15-2004, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Admin ]</small>

Asghar Ali Engineer

Unread post by Asghar Ali Engineer » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:40 pm

Dear A.B.,
There is no contradiction involved. Our fight is not against the office of the da'i but the misuse of that office for personal gains. We want to cleanse the system. If a president or a prime minister of a country is corrupt or his family has him under its grip and we fight against it that does not mean we want to abolish the office of prime minister or president.

Yes, the belief in the hidden imam is a historical one and has united our community around that belief. Here it is not the reality but belief that helps. As a member of Dawoodi Bohra community I also hold that belief.
Best wishes,
Asghar Ali Engineer

trance

Unread post by trance » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:44 pm

Asghar yu saap,

Dont use your simplistic views ideas and morals to even worm your way into calling yourself a dawoodi bohra or be a part of it . The closest you will get is the bottom of our shoes.

Fight on your losing fruitless purposeless battles.

Danish

Unread post by Danish » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:30 pm

Salaams Sajid,
Originally posted by Sajid Zafar:
Dear Brs. Africawala, Av. Bohra, Danish & Dr. Asghar,

Thanks for responding. I appreciated. Though I still don't have clear mind, which way should I go!!

My problem is not only limited to Bbohras. I have serious questions in mind and still in search for any logical explanation and/or clarification, like:

o Concept of imam (what the hack, he still insist to stay in Pardah rather than to come openly and guide his community and let us get rid of this corrept Kothar;
o Legendry rather idiolist portrait of ahle bait, which even they probably never thought in their lives (many completely false and fabricated stories are attributed to them like revelation of the angel gabril, open animosity with prophet's companions, if so why Hazrat Ali named his children Abubaker and Usman);
o Strongly feel that sooner or later all factions has to merge with main stream muslim (i.e. Ahle Sunat), if and when one prefer to remain as muslim.

Thanks.
Millions have already died, relentlessly and eagerly awaiting for some "hidden imaam" to suddenly appear, guide them and take them to heaven. Such complainants of conjectural and wishy-washy notions embedded in their minds by unscrupulous mullahs and human lords, will simply rot and die out as well, along with them, all in vain.

Isn't Al-Quran enough that teaches oneself to lead ones life in spiritual harmony, guidance, simplicity and righteousness? Don't you possess your own brains, eyes and ears to contemplate and differenciate on what is right and what is wrong in day-to-day Ways of Life, hence the adherance? How complex can that be?

One must ponder and understand the very basics of living a simple and happy Life. The burdens lies on you and the troubles begin, the moment you steer off the Natural Laws of HIS System which HE has mercifully and passionately designed, yet man is ruthlessly selfish, arrogant and oft unwilling.

In short, it is what you make of yourselves and thus you are responsible of your own souls. "Wake up with a smile each day for it adds to your face value for the rest of the day".

Emm

Unread post by Emm » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:23 pm

Hi Trance,

I have noticed this repeatedly on this message board - and you are the latest example - that those of you that think yourself the so called 'devout Dawoodi Bohras' are the ones to use the worst language and say the most hollow things. In my opinion there could be 1 of 3 reasons for this.

1) You know in your heart that something is wrong with the way our community is functioning and just don't want to admit it.
2) You are just ignorant about everything and just following the herd.
3) You have been so taken in and brainwashed by the 'teachings' of the clergy that you are incapable of thinking objectively and are even against the IDEA of an open dialogue on the subject.

Which one is it for you ?

Br. Trance, branding people as 'dushmans' of the community is just an easy and cowardly way to escape debate. You are most welcome to defend the practises of the community leaders if you so desire, but senseless, cheap insults are not the solution.

Emm

BB

Unread post by BB » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:34 am

I agree with Br. Emm.

Anwar

Unread post by Anwar » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:49 pm

One thing this trance must be admired for is his choice of psuedonym. trance means "a state of profound abstraction or absorption that at least partly suspends active conciousness and the ability to react normally to ones surrounding", according to Encyclopedia Britannica. This means he is 2 in 1.The one thing he is not using from his sabaak is to say lanaat.Watch out br trance, if you are exposed, chances are you will be excommunicated for not saying lanaat

Emm

Unread post by Emm » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:07 am

Hi Anwar,

Interesting choice of psuedonym indeed! It represents the state that he along with the large majority of our community is in.

Islam forbids intoxicants of any kind because they cloud our thinking. But I guess using religon as an intoxicant to breed fantacism is OK - at least judging by the way things are in our community.

I guess Marx would just chuckle and be vidicated. Looking at the way things are, religon IS the opiate of the masses.

observer

Yususf Ali

Unread post by observer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Found this interesting article on wikipedia - circulating for information - note he was a Dawoodi Bohra and is buried in Woking surrey. Must go for his ziarat:

Abdullah Yusuf Ali
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (February 2007)
Abdullah Yusuf Ali

Born 14 April 1872
Bombay, India
Died 10 December 1953
Brookwood, Surrey
Occupation Muslim scholar

Hafiz Abdullah Yusuf Ali (14 April 1872 - 10 December 1953) was a South Asian Islamic scholar who translated the Qur'an into English.[1] His translation of the Qur'an ranks alongside the translation of Marmaduke Pickthall as the most widely-known and used in the world[citation needed].

Ali was born in Bombay, India to a wealthy merchant family with a Dawoodi Bohra father. As a child, Ali received a religious education and, eventually, could recite the entire Qur'an from memory. He spoke both Arabic and English fluently. He studied English literature and studied at several European universities, including the University of Leeds. He concentrated his efforts on the Qur'an and studied the Qur'anic commentaries beginning with those written in the early days of Islamic history. Yusuf Ali's best-known work is his book The Holy Qur'an: Text, Translation and Commentary, begun in 1934 and published in 1938 by Sh. Muhammad Ashraf Publishers Lahore in India (later Pakistan). While on tour to promote his translation, Ali helped to open the Al-Rashid Mosque, the first mosque in North America, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, in December 1938.[2][3]

Ali was an outspoken supporter of the Indian contribution to the Allied effort in World War I.[4] He was a respected intellectual in India and Sir Muhammad Iqbal recruited him to be the principal of Islamia College in Lahore, Pakistan. Later in life, he again went to England where he died in London.

He is buried in England at the Muslim cemetery at Brookwood, Surrey, near Woking, not far from the burial place of Pickthall.

Modern editions of his work remain in print, but with modifications such as "God" altered to "Allah" and with controversial modifications of the opinions that Ali expressed in footnotes and of short historical articles that were included with the original text. For instance, Ali's liberal views on credit and interest do not appear in some editions, as they are considered to run contrary to some schools of Islamic economic thought. Wikisource is using a "modern edition" with the name of Allah for God.

Africawala0000

Unread post by Africawala0000 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:14 pm

According to Sura 2:232 there is a prescription for Iddat when men divorce women also. How long is the term?

Africawala0000

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:43 am

The word ‘Iddat’ in Quran appears in many places in the meaning of “counting” or “a prescribed term or period” for example in Surah Ibrahim V 34 it says “Wa in tauddoo animal Allah laa tosoohaa. (But if you were to COUNT all the favours of Allah you will not be able to calculate them.) Surah Al-Baqar V 185 “Wa man kaana mareedhan aw aalaa safarin fa IDDATUN min ayyaamin ukhara. (And whoever is sick or in course of travel, the PRESCRIBED PERIOD shall be made up by fasting on other days.)

The verses which deal directly with the injunction relating to what we call ‘IDDAT’ use word “YATARABBASNA’ Meaning “Shall Restrain” For Example in Surah Al-Baqar V 234 ‘Wal lazeena yutawaffawna minkum wa yazaroona azwaajan YATARABBASNA be anfuse henna arbaata ash-horin wa aashran. (And if any of you die and leave widow behind, such widows shall ‘KEEP THEMSELVE WAITING for 4 months and 10 days.)
There are two types of Iddat, Iddat of Death and Iddat of Divorce.

The Iddat serves the purpose of a cooling off period during which the widow has the opportunity to decide whether to continue living as a widow or to remarry after Iddat. It is also helpful in determining if there is a pregnancy. The reasons for the observance of Iddat are:
1) Mourning for the deceased husband
2) Determination of pregnancy
3) For widow to decide her future plans

During Iddat she is permitted to go out if it is necessary.
During Iddat if intends to perform Hajj she is allowed to do so.

No one will disagree on the mourning part and deciding the future plans. But today with the advancement in science there are methods available to determine pregnancy.
As far the prohibiting the widow not to look attractive and coming in contact with men other than her blood relation, I personally disagree. I can not imaging doubting my own mother or sisters that they would do some thing disgraceful to the family.
In many a family the widow is the only bread earner and after the death of the husband the situation gets aggravated. In such circumstances how can she confines herself to a closed place at home?
Except Dawoodi Bohras in no other Muslim sect the observation of Iddat is so torturous.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:14 am

The site “http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_Yusuf_Ali” says that:-
Abdullah Yusuf Ali was born in Bombay, India to a wealthy merchant family with a Dawoodi Bohra father. As a child, Ali received a religious education and, eventually, could recite the entire Qur'an from memory. He spoke both Arabic and English fluently. He studied English literature and studied at several European universities, including the University of Leeds. He concentrated his efforts on the Qur'an and studied the Qur'anic commentaries beginning with those written in the early days of Islamic history. Yusuf Ali's best-known work is his book The Holy Qur'an: Text, Translation and Commentary, begun in 1934 and published in 1938 by Sh. Muhammad Ashraf Publishers Lahore in India (later Pakistan). While on tour to promote his translation, Ali helped to open the Al-Rashid Mosque, the first mosque in North America, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, in December 1938.[2][3]

Now about Iddat:
The word ‘Iddat’ in Quran appears in many places in the meaning of “counting” or “a prescribed term or period” for example in Surah Ibrahim V 34 it says “Wa in tauddoo animal Allah laa tosoohaa." (But if you were to COUNT all the favours of Allah you will not be able to calculate them.) Surah Al-Baqar V 185 “Wa man kaana mareedhan aw aalaa safarin fa IDDATUN min ayyaamin ukhara. (And whoever is sick or in course of travel, the PRESCRIBED PERIOD shall be made up by fasting on other days.)

The verses which deal directly with the injunction relating to what we call ‘IDDAT’ use word “YATARABBASNA’ Meaning “Shall Restrain” For Example in Surah Al-Baqar V 234 ‘Wal lazeena yutawaffawna minkum wa yazaroona azwaajan YATARABBASNA be anfuse henna arbaata ash-horin wa aashran. (And if any of you die and leave widow behind, such widows shall ‘KEEP THEMSELVE WAITING for 4 months and 10 days.)
There are two types of Iddat, Iddat of Death and Iddat of Divorce.

The Iddat serves the purpose of a cooling off period during which the widow has the opportunity to decide whether to continue living as a widow or to remarry after Iddat. It is also helpful in determining if there is a pregnancy. The reasons for the observance of Iddat are:
1) Mourning for the deceased husband
2) Determination of pregnancy
3) For widow to decide her future plans

During Iddat she is permitted to go out if it is necessary.
During Iddat if intends to perform Hajj she is allowed to do so.

No one will disagree on the mourning part and deciding the future plans. But today with the advancement in science there are methods available to determine pregnancy.
As far the prohibiting the widow not to look attractive and coming in contact with men other than her blood relation, I personally disagree. I can not imaging doubting my own mother or sisters that they would do some thing disgraceful to the family. The restrictions of aged widows and the widows in the secured family have to be rethought. Why do you want to confine a woman in a closed room to mourn over her deceased husband, to plan for future? Will she not be more comfortable when she is among the other members of the family?
In many a family the widow is the only bread earner and after the death of the husband the situation gets aggravated. In such circumstances how can she confines herself to a closed place at home?
Except Dawoodi Bohras in no other Muslim sect the observation of Iddat is so torturous.

sakeena1990

Unread post by sakeena1990 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:08 am

My mom told me that he was a dawoodi bohra. He abandoned our faith in his teens and became a Sunni. His translation and commentary of the Quran is the most read version in the world. And apparently even the other well known version by Marmaduke Pikthal (hope I got his name right) is equally widely used. he too is a convert to Sunni Islam.

Danish

Unread post by Danish » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:39 pm

sakeena1990 wrote:My mom told me that he was a dawoodi bohra. He abandoned our faith in his teens and became a Sunni. His translation and commentary of the Quran is the most read version in the world. And apparently even the other well known version by Marmaduke Pikthal (hope I got his name right) is equally widely used. he too is a convert to Sunni Islam.
That is correct, Sakeena. Abdullah Yusuf Ali lead a painful and tragic personal life in later years . He was overly obsessed in gaining titles, especially Crown Par Excellence. He married a british Christian women in a church in England with whom they had four children and later his wife ran away with another man and his children left him. His translation of the Quran is inaccurate and didn't much care, as he was neither a native born Arabic linguist nor very "thoughtful" but studied the language nevertheless and copied most of quranic translation from previous translators whilst adding some spice of his own. His relationship with British officials and specially his personal life was detrimental. He was more into greed and fame which ultimately lead to his death bed out on his door step. And this is the man majority of Arabized Muslims revere and use his translation as reference and guidance.

feelgud

Unread post by feelgud » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:32 pm

sakeena,
late yousuf ali was one of the best translators and at the same time he thas a normal human being like any of us.
Greed ,jealous etc are very natural and common traits of human .Some get rid of it some not.

For most of muslims Yousuf ali's personal life is not important at all .He was as good or bad as anyone could be in the circumstances he lived.
What is important is his Work,his translation of Holy Quran which is among some of the best one scholars have done so far.

Dont miss to read preface of translation specially on page x:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Vajh ... 0#PPP12,M1

wassalam

Danish

Unread post by Danish » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:20 pm

Acutally, Yusuf Ali was one of the corrupt 'thoughtless' translators due to the fact that many before him and after him have the same regurgitated ones; nothing new. Any sincere student of Arabic language can easily point the abundance of errors made by these thuggists. The problem with all Arabized translations up-to-date (in hundreds), lies not in their similar mindsets but rather difficulty in contemplating and understanding its logical and natural classical Arabic renditions. The major differences amongst them is the English words used and most importantly understanding the "multiple Arabic meaning words of today", not just by mere translating words only without thought but by interpreting entire sentences, paragraphs and stories as a whole set in its proper perspectives and contexts in which they speak. This has become extremely difficult for the Arabized Muslims ever since their current quran came into existence AFTER the death of Abu al Qasim. The thing to note is that each Arabized translator became rich and famous from parroting. Today, even a 15 year old student of Arabic can similarly translate the quran with some tasty spices and decorations to differentiate from others and become rich and famous in no time.

About Abdullah Yusuf Ali:
http://www.renaissance.com.pk/jabore96.html

List of translations (probably incomplete):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tr ... the_Qur'an

The Sublime Quran - worth reading:
http://www.sublimequran.org/